Risborough Rangers

pokal02
First Team Star

May 29, 2013, 7:01 PM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #1 of 13 (5122 views)
Shortcut
Risborough Rangers Can't Post or Reply Privately

The SSML site is saying that Risborough (& Broxbourne) will be promoted from Div 2 to Div 1. Does this mean they've now got lights (or definite plans for them?) It was always the best ground in SSML2 even without them.

TempWorksCo
Reserve Team Sub

May 29, 2013, 8:24 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 13 (5061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Risborough Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lights are due to be up by end of June.

Grounds visited - A few
Wetherspoons visited - Not many
Ales tasted - Loads

Steelback
First Team Star

May 30, 2013, 6:18 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #3 of 13 (4788 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TempWorksCo] Risborough Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

But as Risborough is in the South of England it's probably by the end of June 2016 Wink

‘Informative’ Posts Only, by order of the Forum KGB

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

May 30, 2013, 6:28 PM

Post #4 of 13 (4775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] Risborough Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

But as Risborough is in the South of England it's probably by the end of June 2016 Wink

The Geese are always the problem at Risborough hope they don't interfere with the electrics.

BDA_85
First Team Regular

Sep 18, 2019, 12:38 PM

Post #5 of 13 (4395 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Risborough Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Did anyone else hear the interview with their manager on Wycombe Sound or on Ollie Bayliss's BBC3CR non league show? I'm unable to find a transcript for the interview but he was asked a question about the referee's performance, commented that it was a loaded question and then tore him apart.
Was wondering down to what level does the FA get involved with managers that criticise the referee. For example, if this was a Premier League manager I'd expect a fine as a minimum.

foreststag
Junior Team Star

Sep 19, 2019, 2:46 PM

Post #6 of 13 (3567 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BDA_85] Risborough Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As a former referee (now retired) ive never understood why the FA etc fine/punish managers for criticising a referees performance, its called freedom of speech, the one exception being if he is accused of cheating/showing bias. Refs do have bad games, as I myself have (once many years ago did a game where one team gave me a mark of 0 out of 10 and the other 1 out of 10, when the league in question asked for my views on the game I replied "it would have been a better game if I hadn't been there"), we do know when we've had bad game.

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Sep 19, 2019, 4:49 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #7 of 13 (3429 views)
Shortcut
Re: [foreststag] Risborough Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I read your comments with interest...as a retired referee myself, I personally don’t like it when referees are openly criticised by managers to media etc.
The reason being is that it is seldom a manager will openly criticise his own players, even when their actions or mistakes have cost them the game.
I also, like every referee had good games and bad. I had managers advise me in no uncertain terms what they thought of my performance, with a rant etc. However, I also had a situation once where a manager sat down with me and asked why certain decisions had been given.
He did it in a very diplomatic way, and told me he thought my performance wa not great, but, in a respectful manner. When I pointed out my rationale for my decisions he disagreed with some, but was open to other decisions..and I have to say we enjoyed a very good discussion that ended with a handshake. I actually walked away from the match feeling I had possibly learned things, I was quite new to it all at the time.
I will point out I did have some good games and actually won my leagues annual award for highest average mark, that was a surprise!
Whilst I fully accept the freedom of speech side of things, to lambast someone who has probably no opportunity to reply is one sided and unfair. I too always knew when I had a bad game, although I was always my worse critic.

As an aside, I enjoyed refereeing, albeit I am retired from it now 18 years. I still see many players and managers about from my days in the middle and we always have a good chat. However, I am so pleased I am not refereeing now, the game and attitudes are very different.

foreststag
Junior Team Star

Sep 24, 2019, 3:35 PM

Post #8 of 13 (2611 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Risborough Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Have read your comments with extreme interest, while I do agree to a certain extent isn't part of the problem the FA who do not allow referees to openly talk to the managers and explain their decisions, as you did with that manager, and come to a amicable, if not entirely satisfactory outcome to the manager, with him. This could be arranged say 24hrs after the game, just for emotions to cool down, managers may then be less liable to blast off to the media after games and subsequently less liable to incur the wrath of the FA. I enjoyed refereeing and had many great games where players, after the game congratulated me on my performance and said they wished they had more referees like me. Also had many a good drink with players id referee'd when met in pubs on nights out.

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Sep 24, 2019, 3:49 PM

Post #9 of 13 (2591 views)
Shortcut

‘Also had many a good drink with players id referee'd when met in pubs on nights out. ’

You sure they weren’t trying to bribe you with a few drinks? !!!

foreststag
Junior Team Star

Sep 26, 2019, 3:00 PM

Post #10 of 13 (2027 views)
Shortcut

They all new better than that as I was always totally impartial, after all when my brothers team never had a ref one day and I was free he asked if id referee his game, which I did, and ended up sending him off in the 28th minute

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Sep 26, 2019, 3:28 PM

Post #11 of 13 (1985 views)
Shortcut

Good effort !!

I know of a police officer who booked his own dad for speeding, his mum was most upset.

shimtoan
First Team Regular

Sep 26, 2019, 9:23 PM

Team(s): Dunkirk

Post #12 of 13 (1568 views)
Shortcut

There was a player, many moons ago (possibly before any of us were born) who gave himself a yellow card.
If I remember what i read, it was a Football League match and the officials didn't show for some reason.
A representative from each side ran the line, and the captain of one of the clubs was referee alongside playing.
I'll have to dig out my copy of Foul Football

unless stated, all views are my own and are not the views of any other person, club, or organisation

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Sep 26, 2019, 10:08 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #13 of 13 (1513 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shimtoan] Risborough Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There was a player, many moons ago (possibly before any of us were born) who gave himself a yellow card

No such things as yellow cards when most of us were bornCool

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3