Bus Passes

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 11, 2013, 8:29 PM

Post #51 of 56 (1965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or

Used my bus pass twice today ,one into town and again for the return journey. Saved me 2-80.

You have cheap buses, even on my "Key" card which you top up in advance to get discounted fairs. it cost me 16 for 12 single journeys. Think the lowest cash fair is now 1.60 and my ride into town is 2 or more if paying cash.

Matty
Reserve Team Star

Mar 12, 2013, 10:45 AM

Team(s): All things Derbyshire

Post #52 of 56 (1936 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Or some 40 something Yummy Mummy with a short skirt who has replaced John Humphries will say it.

In my experience women driving with a 'Yummy Mummy' sticker in the car are invariably anything but yummy.

The phrase 'with a face like a bulldog licking p*ss off a thistle' springs to mind. Unsure

'You don't look at the mantle piece whilst you're stoking the fire' comes to mind.

BCD in old A level money to get into York to do Biology - and it was rated highly

2 E's (no pun - 87' was Indie stuff, 88' was all the false Manc's) to get into most Polytechnics - as was

they are too easy - apart from txyxyxting they are ficker than me, AAA* or not - ok not all - but the bar has got a damn sight lower.

memorising was easy for me (then) but showed no intelligence - is was the weekly 1hr or so tutorial ( 3or 4 to 1) with a lecturer who generally still had the ethos of challenging us to question rather than a burden - and as someone earlier mentioned taking the basic principles you've learnt and applying them to an unfamiliar area - i.e. a new paper

My very 1st tutorial homework was set by the Prof of the whole dept and a Christian Evolutionary Biologist - Does God exist? (with reference to the sort of Bill Hicks thing about leaving all the clues about)

I had no fees, and a small grant, worked what hours I good at Sainsburys to build up a - better than pot noodle or beanfeast fund - from 16
does n't sound as much fun know - though my wife makes me watch house programmes and see what students 'demand' - blimey - thats why we were out all the time the accomodation we had

PaulC

Mar 12, 2013, 5:42 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #53 of 56 (1921 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

How's this for use of a bus pass?

Yesterday the wife and I walked over the hills from Aberfoyle to Callander. There is no bus between the two villages so we couldn't use public transport to get back to our car in Aberfoyle.

Stirling Council operates a "Demand Responsive Transport" service whereby if you are travelling between home and work or if, like us, you are walking in the area, you can pre-book a taxi which runs over certain defined routes and you are charged a bus fare rate for the journey, with a subsidy going from the council to the taxi operator.

So we booked out taxi and the taxi took us the 11 miles back to Aberfoyle - we presented our bus passes and the journey cost us nothing.

jimmyjazz
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 12, 2013, 7:27 PM

Team(s):

Post #54 of 56 (1905 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Yesterday the wife and I walked over the hills from Aberfoyle to Callander. There is no bus between the two villages so we couldn't use public transport to get back to our car in Aberfoyle.

Completely off-topic but that road from Aberfoyle to Callender is the trickiest I've ever driven on, harder than the one across the Long Mynd even.

PaulC

Mar 12, 2013, 8:31 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #55 of 56 (1895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimmyjazz] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Duke's Pass? The taxi driver was telling us how often that road is closed in winter because of ice. In December a couple on holiday ignored the "road closed" signs and got totally icebound in their car. The police and fire brigade were unable to rescue them and the couple spent the night in their car. A Royal Navy rescue helicopter was called in. The helicopter landed but the only way the couple could be reached was to attach one of the crew to the winch so that he could edge along the road to the car, so icy were conditions!

The taxi didn't go that way - it went via the Lake of Menteith ....... and that's another story when it comes to bargains.

The wife and I stayed at the Lake (sic) of Menteith Hotel. Faboulous place, views over the loch from the dining room to die for. Cost - 30 per head which included ..... wait for it ... choice of cooked breakfasts (smoked salmon and scrambled egg for me) .... one free glass of wine per day, one whisky per day, free afternoon cream tea (not to mention a couple of Tunnock' caramel wafers and Tunnock's teacakes left each day in the bedroom. Amazing.

jimmyjazz
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 13, 2013, 9:25 PM

Team(s):

Post #56 of 56 (1854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, The Duke's Pass. I assume the couple in question didn't know the area well, that isn't a road to be attempted in anything but dry conditions.

There's another road further south, the B822 from the Kippen turn to Fintry. Like the Duke's Pass, it takes what seems like an eternity. Although this is a lot easier to drive you are very much alone if something goes wrong. At least out on Sheriffmuir you see joggers and ramblers.

My mum told me that the Lake of Mentieth is the only 'lake' in Scotland. Tunnock teacakes and a whisky by the bonny banks, well who could say no?

I know nothing about bus passes. I very much doubt they'll be around when I retire (est. 2040)

(This post was edited by jimmyjazz on Mar 13, 2013, 9:28 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3