Bus Passes

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 21, 2013, 1:29 PM

Post #1 of 56 (9711 views)
Shortcut
Bus Passes Can't Post or

A friend of mine is 60 tomorrow he enquired about a bus pass, he was told that in Oxford over 60's do not qualify for a bus pass until they are 63. Not sure if this is the norm or not.

I know Youngster mention something along these lines a year or two back, there will be a generation of people now aged around 40 to 60 who are going to miss out on things at both the start and end of life,

Those of us who fall in that age range, as youngsters we had to pay full fare on the bus at 14 and full rate at football at 15. There were no student discountsand in many cases had to studying part-time or at night to get qualifications paying for ourselves. Now as we get mature all the benefits we thought we were going to get are gradually going away from us be it bus passes or pensions - 66 / 67 and rising. If you ask for any advise or help the first question you are asked is have you any money in the bank, if you have saved all your life and not spent it all in a well known pub chain you are shown the door. If by any chance you have a small income from a private pension or savings and have 30 plus years in NI contributions you do not exist in government figures and if you are in the job centre you are told please do not to apply for any of our jobs!.

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Feb 21, 2013, 3:55 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #2 of 56 (9689 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Never mind, you can go to university instead:

The higher education minister, David Willetts, has said that the over-60s should consider going back to university to retrain because they will work longer. Willetts pointed out that age limit on student loans had been lifted, making it possible for older people to go back to studying. He said:

"Education is such a good thing – it is not reserved for younger people. There will be people of all ages who will want to study. There is great value in lifelong learning."

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 21, 2013, 5:50 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #3 of 56 (9671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I flagged that one up myself. Fancy a few letters after my name before
I snuff it...apart from RIP.

Freedom pass in London is 62 methinks but managed to get a
Old Gits Railcard for £28 the other week..which is nice, and
the bog standard B&Q 10% discount on Wednesday card too...
as they say, every little helps.

Play-off programmes wanted: 2004 Basingstoke v Lewes. 2005 Droylsden v Kettering, Maldon v Barking, Maldon v Uxbridge. 2006 Brackley v Marlow, Kendal v Stocksbridge. 2007 Paulton v Taunton, Tooting v Hastings. 2008 Didcot v Oxford City, Tooting v Worthing, Sheffield v Stocksbridge. 2009 East Thurrock v Concord, Ilkeston v Kendal, Nantwich v Guiseley, Stocksbridge v Carlton. 2014 Tiverton v Paulton. 2015 Darlington v Bamber Bridge.

FA Vase semis wanted: 1978 Barton v Hungerford. 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

FA Trophy programmes wanted: 1969-70 Any round from first season. Have many but plenty of gaps still to fill.

acmold

Feb 21, 2013, 6:22 PM

Post #4 of 56 (9668 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

The higher education minister, David Willetts, has said that the over-60s should consider going back to university to retrain because they will work longer. Willetts pointed out that age limit on student loans had been lifted, making it possible for older people to go back to studying. He said:

"Education is such a good thing – it is not reserved for younger people. There will be people of all ages who will want to study. There is great value in lifelong learning."

My cousin has done that and now calls himself Doctor, he had a degree to start with.

My professional body requires it's members to go on a number of in house association courses each year, they cost an arm and a leg and are always at the weekend. As I pointed out to my association despite them saying the rate per hour even newly qualified members should get is £15 plus an hour if you even get a sniff of a job at an interview you are told that the salary is more or less minimum wage x 35 for the week, and as you are a "professional" person a few hours free overtime would not go amiss. The annual memberships fees are well into three figures and if you want to ply your trade as a self employed person you have to take out a licence. After so many years you can claim a fellowship, which does not enhance your job prospects but costs more than normal membership. I pride myself on never attending a group meeting in over 20 years of membership, never wearing by association tie. I am constantly asked to do work for people, mostly builders, plumbers and alike who offer me a few quid for doing said work, my reply is I will do it for the same hourly rate as you charge, you should see the look on their faces. Likewise whenever I get near anything football related and I reveal my profession everyone runs a mile.

VP

Feb 21, 2013, 7:30 PM

Post #5 of 56 (9656 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
A friend of mine is 60 tomorrow he enquired about a bus pass, he was told that in Oxford over 60's do not qualify for a bus pass until they are 63. Not sure if this is the norm or not.

I think it's the same all over England. What they're doing is gradually moving it until eligibility reaches your 65th birthday. The date you become eligible is increasing by two months for every month people were born. I don't know if that makes sense but, f'rinstance, if you were born between 6th Feb and 5th March 1953 you can get a buss pass on 6th Jan 2016.
If you were born between 6th March and 5th April 1953 you become eligible on 6th March 2016.
If you were born between 6th April and 5th May 1953 you become eligible on 6th May 2016 and so on until your date of birth was 6th April 1955 or later when eligibility finally becomes your 65th birthday.

**edit**
I've found a pdf from Bracknell Forest that lists the dates.

http://www.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/...sionary-bus-pass.pdf

(This post was edited by VP on Feb 21, 2013, 7:36 PM)

PaulC

Feb 21, 2013, 8:30 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #6 of 56 (9635 views)
Shortcut

Like youth, education is wasted on young people.

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Feb 21, 2013, 11:07 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #7 of 56 (9611 views)
Shortcut

'the over-60s should consider going back to university to retrain because they will work longer'.

This was the bit I was interested in - how many over-60s will get a job after retraining?
Will they ever earn enough (or live long enough) to replay their student loan?
Is this an attempt to raise the state pension age yet further?

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

acmold

Feb 22, 2013, 12:05 PM

Post #8 of 56 (9569 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or

One way of keeping unemployment figures down is to keep people in fulltime education until they reach retiring age, forgot some people already do that.

Well done VP interesting PDF, question what happens if you were born after the 5th April 1959. My bet is the bus pass will be long gone by then or you will have to be accompanied by your Granny. Don' think I will ever qualify for a bus pass whatever age I reach.

A few years ago they had a great way in Oxford of cutting down on usage, they changed the pass from a card to a photo type and then forgot to tell a large percentage of over 60's about it. When I had the 20 minute moan at some "Yuf" who could not careless, on behalf of my father she said everyone had been told and as my father was old he had lost his reminder or had forgotten. I then asked the same question on behalf of four of my neighbours who the "Yuf" was also going to call senile, none had receive a letter about the change. When I actually got to speak to a supervisor who did some Post Code checking it revealed over 3,000 complaints and whole areas that had not received the letters. The council supervisor then blamed the Royal Mail for losing the letters.

Why is it council employees are so untidy in a dress sense, around here they seem to be able to wear what they like to work and many must fear going near a magnet.

Ear4thebeer
Junior Team Star

Feb 22, 2013, 12:37 PM

Post #9 of 56 (9561 views)
Shortcut

People 60 and over lucky enough to live in a London Borough qualify for a 60+ Oyster card.
This gives free travel on Buses/Tubes/Dockland Light Railway within the TfL travel zones at all times.
Weekday trains after 9.30am and all day at weekends can also be used.Can’t be used on buses outside of the TfL area so not great but better than nothingSmileSmileSmile

sandhurstbee

Feb 22, 2013, 1:26 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #10 of 56 (9544 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Paying £9000 a year to Unies for the privilage. My daughter graduated last year as a Teacher, she had 4 Hours of Lectures a week at University.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

richiejenn
First Team Star

Feb 22, 2013, 9:52 PM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 56 (9499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is there truth that a student doesn't start paying off their loan if they earn less than £32000 pa?

UKPunk

Feb 22, 2013, 10:15 PM

Post #12 of 56 (9492 views)
Shortcut
Re: [richiejenn] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

£15,795

http://www.saas.gov.uk/...pport/repay_loan.htm

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Stoned_Prof
Youth Team Star

Feb 22, 2013, 10:33 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #13 of 56 (9485 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's £15,795 under the old fees, but for those paying the new, higher fees the threshold should be around £21,000, if I remember correctly.

As for the 4 hours of lectures a week, it seems that the amount of contact time varies dramatically between courses and universities. I graduated with a degree in Physics last year and per week I'd say I had about 6-8 hours of lectures, 6 hours of lab time and a few hours of other things (seminars, tutorials etc.) per week, in addition to independent study. Some courses, particularly in the humanities, will have much less contact time and much more independent study.

As to what it costs to run a course, I think my course was quoted as costing around £15,000 per year, per student, but that is for a course involving some very expensive lab equipment, and I cannot see how other courses that do not involve such things cost as much as universities charge.

To help Maidstone United come home, and for up to 49 chances to win £1000 for a one-off payment of £6.99, please join the Maidstone United Virtual Stadium:
http://www.maidstoneunitedvirtualstadium.com/...tration.aspx?r=00224

UKPunk

Feb 22, 2013, 11:46 PM

Post #14 of 56 (9473 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Stoned_Prof] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'll just say this. My eldest graduated with a first in Interior Design and Architecture at Nottingham Trent University and has recently been part of a team that has designed the interior of one of some TV chef's restaurants that is soon to be opened. She earns more than I do and still hasn't had to pay back any of her university fees thus far.

She's worked bloody hard to get where she is but it's clear that she will have to earn a darn sight more before she has to worry about paying back anything like a susbsantial portion of her loan.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

acmold

Feb 23, 2013, 9:03 AM

Post #15 of 56 (9444 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or

And there is poor old me who many years ago had to fund my own studies for a number of years and when I got day release from work lost 20% of my pay. At some points I was at college one day a week and one evening, working four days a week in my actual job and 4 nights a week in a bar.

Stoned_Prof
Youth Team Star

Feb 24, 2013, 5:22 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #16 of 56 (9390 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
She's worked bloody hard to get where she is but it's clear that she will have to earn a darn sight more before she has to worry about paying back anything like a susbsantial portion of her loan.

I would say that the threshold for repayments is far too high for government to recoup any significant amount of money, and that the whole system seems very poorly thought out on that basis. It would seem far more sensible, to me at least, to set the threshold at the same level as the threshold for the basic rate of income tax, which one would hope any university graduate should have an income above once employed.

I don't really have a problem with having to pay back tuition fees, as they are something of a career investment. The one that annoys me to a certain extent is having to pay back the maintenance loan, when the same does not apply to unemployment benefits.

Overall, I would like to see a system whereby universities must accept a shortfall in funding when their graduates do not pay back their loans, as this would encourage universities to teach courses that are actually in demand rather than oversupplying graduates of other courses as they do at the moment.

To help Maidstone United come home, and for up to 49 chances to win £1000 for a one-off payment of £6.99, please join the Maidstone United Virtual Stadium:
http://www.maidstoneunitedvirtualstadium.com/...tration.aspx?r=00224

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 24, 2013, 9:04 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #17 of 56 (9363 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Stoned_Prof] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not really - once it kicks in, it's there for life!

There are two or three at my place of work, now finally earning decent salaries after years of developing their careers, and the monthly hit of £160 or thereabouts is painful and ever-present. And it can be a real problem when these same folk go to try borrow for a mortgage etc.............

acmold

Feb 25, 2013, 1:21 PM

Post #18 of 56 (9309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Not really - once it kicks in, it's there for life!

There are two or three at my place of work, now finally earning decent salaries after years of developing their careers, and the monthly hit of £160 or thereabouts is painful and ever-present. And it can be a real problem when these same folk go to try borrow for a mortgage etc.............

Thought the average ago of first time buyers getting a mortgage is now 57Cool. In some places the cost of houses is now 11 times the average income of "normal" salaries. Most mortgages in many places go to landlords who are using the income from one house to buy another, that is all fine and dandy until you have a couple of houses empty. The problems banks and mortgage lenders have caused in this country over the last 20 or so years is quite alarming as well as inflating house prices in many areas so the rich get rich and sod anyone else.

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Feb 25, 2013, 10:15 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #19 of 56 (9254 views)
Shortcut

This'll probably make some of you spit with rage, but time was, we not only did not have a loan we had to repay as students, we used to get a grant. We didn't pay to go to university - people used to pay us to do so. And furthermore, once a year we used to descend on London to protest about the erosion of the grant. Mid-70s, I used to receive about £1500 a year (plus I could claim a could of hundred pounds of unemployment benefit by signing on during the short holidays). However, we used to protest that had the grant been index-linked from its beginning in the early 60s, we should have been getting double, or even more. Always a strong presence at these demos from Leicester, because buses were (a) free (b) didn't leave London until midnight, which essentially meant a free night out in the smoke.

At this point, I'd like to say that times were tough, but in actual fact, they weren't, not really... I think I graduated in playing pool. That's not what my degree certificate says, admittedly, but that's my overriding memory. So for three years during the 1970s, the British taxpayer subsdised me, to the tune of about £6000 - more if you take into account that tuition was free and accommodation subsidised, to become a very moderate pool player.

O tempora. O mores.

(This post was edited by Andrelux on Feb 25, 2013, 10:39 PM)

jon b
First Team Star

Feb 26, 2013, 4:07 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #20 of 56 (9226 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The change has certainly been dramatic. The key decision was to vastly increase the numbers of school leavers going on to Uni. That increase couldn't be funded through the grant system, so on one hand you had many, many more people given the opportunity of obtaining a degree but on the other their being lumbered with long term debt. And it's interesting that upward social mobility appears to be much more difficult currently than back in the 1960s and 70s.

It does seem much tougher for those starting out now.

Where I work we've had "full time" students fitting their studies around office and/or sales work to keep their debt as low as possible. One guy attended Uni whilst working in the office on some weekdays, meanwhile at evenings and at weekends he worked as a sales assistant at Meadowhall AND somehow found time to star in high quality Am Dram productions. Shocked

PaulC

Feb 26, 2013, 8:16 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #21 of 56 (9216 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Oh yes, fond memories.

And what a contrast with the politically apathetic students of today. They deserve all the get (or don't get)*.

*terms and conditions differ in Scotland

acmold

Feb 26, 2013, 11:38 AM

Post #22 of 56 (9195 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or

The answer is in the word University, many of the "degree" courses these days would have been studied at "Poly's, CofFE's and alike, where some students were fulltime, some part-time and some on sandwich courses - fulltime study for two terms followed by work placement. Many of the Poly's and CofFE's are now "red brick" Universities. So instead of people getting HNC, HND and foundation and professional levels in accounts, law, etc you now get a degree.

In Oxford the Poly and Westminster College Teacher Training Centre are now Brookes University. And I think Oxford, Bicester and Banbury CofFE's are Cherwell Valley College which is trying for University status. While the CofFE's at Witney & Abingdon have merged and are no doubt trying for University status.

The bottom line is more people end up with degrees but is there an actual increase on people getting higher education qualifications than 30 years ago. And have the extra thousands who now have degrees got better job prospects, and as a whole has the UK benefitted from said degrees. Or is it a ploy by government to keep people off of the unemployment register until they are in their early / mid 20's. As many will know anyone over 50 / 55 dependant on birthdate do not count in said figures if they have any sort of income from a personal / private pension., a figure well below what is required to live on, and certainly not enough to sit in Weatherspoon's pub before going to football Cool Much of the policies of various governments has not been for the well being of the general public but to make the unemployment figures look lower than they actually are.

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Feb 26, 2013, 5:34 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #23 of 56 (9153 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Or is it a ploy by government to keep people off of the unemployment register until they are in their early / mid 20's.

In short, no. At least, I don't think so. Machiavellian theories about government intentions fall at the first hurdle: for someone to be so scheming, so devilishly clever, that they would plan this, they would first need to be able to tell their arse from their elbow. I've been aware of governments for the past forty years or so, and can't remember a single member of any one who has been able to do so.

Instead, we have had to listen to a series of justly unremembered politicians, all perfect exemplars, spluttering, blustering and pontificating on the Today programme about the fact that half of secondary school students are below average, and how they proposed to tackle the issue.

I keep a soft pillow to hand to throw at the radio when I hear that kind of cant. You don't want to break the radio, after all...

(This post was edited by Andrelux on Feb 26, 2013, 5:50 PM)

acmold

Feb 26, 2013, 7:18 PM

Post #24 of 56 (9140 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Bus Passes [In reply to] Can't Post or

The way the BBC is going will we soon hear John Humphries say on the Today Programme, sorry Mr King not got time to listen to you and the current state of the nations finances we have more urgent news from the Brit Awards / or we have breaking news of a cat in a dustbin, copying ITV there. Or some 40 something Yummy Mummy with a short skirt who has replaced John Humphries will say it. Nothing wrong with Susanna Reid in the right position but all this Beeb dumbing down is getting to much

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 27, 2013, 1:18 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #25 of 56 (9094 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Nothing wrong with Susanna Reid in the right position

Tongue
Sorry, couldn't resist.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All