Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 22, 2018, 11:39 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #26 of 40 (9265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Myself and TheWavendonian visited a very pleasant little beer festival last Saturday night - WOBFest, the West Oxford Beer Festival, at the community centre on Botley Road.

Twenty-three ales were on show, and all were relatively local: ranging from a coffee stout from Tap Social just one mile further down the road which was the closest, to a blonde ale from Towcester Mill Brewery 29miles away which was the one to have travelled the furthest. I really enjoyed the Black Swan Mild from Vale Brewery of Brill, while I think Chris really liked the Agitator from Loose Cannon of Abingdon, which he had with a chick-pea curry.

Best of all, there was a friendly gentle atmosphere to proceedings and plenty of space to spread out. I have to admit to having given up on the larger Oxford Beer Festival, which is usually held in the Town Hall in early October, just as the students arrive and is invariably crowded, noisy, dirty, rowdy and of variable enjoyment. I'm glad to have found WOBFest and'll look forward to attending again next year.

For those interested, the next beer festival within staggering distance of an OX postcode is next week, at:

Charlbury Beer Festival
at Charlbury Cricket Ground
opposite the railway station, from midday to 10pm

http://www.charlburybeerfestival.org

...also incorporating the 2018 Aunt Sally Open Singles World Championship.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Aug 3, 2018, 11:12 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #27 of 40 (9024 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 1st and Thursday 2nd August, Egham Beer Festival. @ EUSC, Spring Rise, TW20 9PE.

http://www.eghambeerfestival.co.uk/

Although this one is not as good as some of the past events, still worth a look Saturday if you are in the area.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 3, 2018, 11:21 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #28 of 40 (9019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SJJ2112 in attendance, I presume ?

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Aug 4, 2018, 10:49 PM

Post #29 of 40 (8979 views)
Shortcut

No didn't spot him, will try again tomorrow!

sjj2112
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 6, 2018, 1:00 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alexandra, Nantwich Town, Ashford Town (Middx), Venezia

Post #30 of 40 (8897 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
SJJ2112 in attendance, I presume ?

Alas, I didn't make it this time.

I'm a man of many anoraks.....

noprogs
First Team Star

Aug 12, 2018, 5:49 PM

Team(s):

Post #31 of 40 (8793 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sjj2112] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Third year running at the Great British Beer Festival at Olympia.Great venue, although they could do with a few more seats.Becoming more drawn toward the dark side of beers - my favourites were Brazilian - coffee porter from Colchester, and Black Taxi to the Moon, from Angels & Demons

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Sep 18, 2018, 1:16 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #32 of 40 (8561 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Have done two this year so far.
Beer and Rock Festival at the Weavers in Wood End, Fillongley in July - free with six bands doing an hour each in a packed garden and various Real Ales on handpump - all in aid of the Air Ambulance and some £8,000 plus raised at the pub this year.
Beer Fest at the Lime Kilns on Watling Street, Burbage. All weekend a few weeks ago. Loads of Real Ales including a porter from the Landlords own brewery, lots of ciders and gins and on the Sunday afternoon, free bands on the canal-side garden where one of my female colleagues got 'goosed' by the local Guinea Fowl who has lost its mate to the nieghbourhood fox and takes it out on any dogs or people who happen to be around, also chases cars away!!

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Sep 27, 2018, 10:24 PM

Post #33 of 40 (8430 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thursday 27th September. Hebden Bridge Beer Festival . Fee admission to CAMRA members. 50 beers available.

Great location at the town hall on the banks of the river. Sat outside in the sunshine enjoy a good selection of new beers. A shame that so many stouts are now milk stouts, rather than good old fashioned standard stouts and porters.

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

Sep 28, 2018, 1:41 AM

Team(s): Kingstonian, Ipswich Town, Sheffield United, Rotherham United and East Fife

Post #34 of 40 (8416 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Thursday 27th September. Hebden Bridge Beer Festival . Fee admission to CAMRA members. 50 beers available.

Great location at the town hall on the banks of the river. Sat outside in the sunshine enjoy a good selection of new beers. A shame that so many stouts are now milk stouts, rather than good old fashioned standard stouts and porters.

80+ ales at The Big Smoke Brewery Festival Surbiton, this weekend. 28-30 September. Free entry and programme and their usual loyalty cards are still valid meaning every 10th pint comes free. I will be there for the start at midday; someone has to have the first pint. Cool

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 11, 2018, 7:02 PM

Post #35 of 40 (7717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Main Drain Man] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The only beer festival I go to is Sheffield which started yesterday.

I visited this afternoon (free admission for all) and a good range of ales was available with most (all ?) of the local breweries represented, alongside ones from further afield. The vast majority were priced at £1.40/£1.60 a half - standard going rate for the area.

Bizarrely, for an organisation allegedly campaigning for real ale, there was also a keg bar where the pricing was £2.40/£2.80 a half for beers of similar strength. Some people are obviously happy to pay getting on for twice the price for a fizzy beer, presumably they are the same people who were paying over the odds at the food outlets which were labelled 'street food'.

Good to see a notice proclaiming that Bradfield Belgian Blue will be back in local bars from 28 Oct. No doubt I will be sampling a few pints over the winter Cool.

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

Oct 17, 2018, 8:49 PM

Team(s): Kingstonian, Ipswich Town, Sheffield United, Rotherham United and East Fife

Post #36 of 40 (6644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Main Drain Man] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friday 12th to Sunday 14th October 2018.

Eur Hop Festival, Agricultoro, Rome

Entry €10 including non returnable glass, large A4 16 page programme (needed to list all the beers), a handy bag to hang from your neck for safe keeping of your glass and tokens for 3 samples.

Sometimes in this life you make your own luck. Beaver Hateman often tells me that I can sniff out a beer festival at 50 miles and thankfully his words of wisdom came to bear as a very optimistic Google search 24 hours before departure revealed that, as with Helsinki, Ljubljana and Groningen amongst other foreign jaunts, a major festival was taking place not only in Rome but also on route from our chosen football fix, to Eternal City Central.

Held in a University complex with two indoor halls, with live music in one and a huge outdoor area for smoking and street food, in addition to drinking.

With a total of 940 beers on draft from all over the world it was certainly a challenge to get through them all although with closing time of 3 a.m. it certainly helped matters.

Prices ranged from €2 - €4 for a half (200 cl) with the American beers overall being the more expansive ones. Apart from one Corsican opener I decided to stick with Italian beers but, even in also attempting to just cover the Lazio region I still fell well short in sampling all breweries in this local area.

The sad issue is that proof, if it was needed, is that Italy produces far more acceptable beers than the mass produced Peroni, Moretti and Nastro Azzuro rubbish we get over here but we are not likely to see any change in this. Don’t let it put you off seeking out great beer when in Italy though (We had also visited the Doppia Malto brewpub for a meal the previous day with their Weiss especially flavourful and refreshing.)

It was also great to see the Lambrate brewery Milan , scene of some serious afters following our defeat in the UEFA cup many years ago, is still going strong with a stand at the festival.

As with British festivals it is always fun to join in the cheers when a beer runs out, someone drops their glass or someone falls over having over indulged. As well as sampling some great beers (plus one Lazio based cider for the other half) we bon hommied with the locals whenever a cheer appeared necessary. Great fun.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Jan 28, 2019, 11:09 AM

Post #37 of 40 (1845 views)
Shortcut

Thursday 24th January 2019 @ Manchester Central. (The old Manchester Victoria station).

Manchester Beer Festival. Free admission (Camra members). Programme £1, proceeds to charity. £3 glass deposit, refundable.

An excellent festival, great beer selection, all in good condition and plenty of seating. Definitely will return next year. Loved the venue.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 28, 2019, 11:59 AM

Post #38 of 40 (1819 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Thursday 24th January 2019 @ Manchester Central. (The old Manchester Victoria station).

Manchester Central is and was Manchester Central!

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 12, 2019, 4:06 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #39 of 40 (581 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Am off to...

9th Wantage Beer & Cider Festival
@ The Beacon Arts Centre
Portway
Wantage

11am~11pm, Friday 15th~Saturday 16th March 2019
http://www.whitehorsecamra.org.uk/wantage-beer-festival/

...for a Friday afternoon of supping.

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

Mar 12, 2019, 7:51 PM

Post #40 of 40 (512 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Where Did You Go? Beer Festivals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friday 8th March
43rd Loughborough Beer Festival
The Polish Club

Entry inc. 12 page programme; a massive £1.
61 real ales plus craft ale and cider sections. Competitively priced food section but not hungry.

Having spotted Alex Oxlade Chamberlain's comeback after a year out, at Derby County u23s ground, at 2 p.m. the bonus of a beer festival 25 minutes away made for a very full first day for the NWCL hop. Arriving at opening time I sampled a few of their locales before heading to Derby after a brief 90 minute visit.

Unusually they had a fairly large selection of ales from Kent on show, although I stuck with the more unusual local ones.

One bonus was that they also had bottles of England's first ever Trappiste Ale on sale at £3.50, brewed locally at the Mount St Bernard's Abbey. Rude not to take one for later in the hotel.

The very compact venue was accessible by a gennel (alleyway to those non Deedahs amongst you) to the main door or via the unusually name True Lovers Walk at the rear. Must be a euphemism in there somewhere.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3