Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
If you had to choose a pair of flags to blx up

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Jul 25, 2012, 9:23 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #1 of 38 (4188 views)
Shortcut
If you had to choose a pair of flags to blx up Can't Post or Reply Privately

You couldn't choose better than showing a South Korean flag for a North Korean team.

Do anything else - a scottish flag for an english one, a russian flag instead of belarus, etc, etc, and it couldn't have been worse. Hell, they'd have been less upset if their team had been shown next to a mickey mouse club pennant.

I know there's been similar instances in the past (e.g. wrong national anthems played), but this trumps the lot since the two countries are still technically at war (they've signed an armistice, that's all).

Major embarrassment.

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 25, 2012, 9:58 PM

Post #2 of 38 (4174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] If you had to choose a pair of flags to blx up [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I do not comprehend how this can happen. It's not like the fixture was unexpected. I mean, are we talking David Pleat-esque ignorance or what?

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 25, 2012, 10:05 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #3 of 38 (4169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] If you had to choose a pair of flags to blx up [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pure madness. The South Korean team isn't even in the country for the event.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

jon b
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 25, 2012, 10:27 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #4 of 38 (4163 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] If you had to choose a pair of flags to blx up [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You have to admit the Jocks are entertaining, even if it's only in watching a road crash sense.

Banks that are lousy at banking, a club whose fans wave the Union flag at every opportunity but come up with a Baldrick type cunning plan to avoid paying Her Maj her taxes, no player picked by Pyscho for his Team GB, men in skirts going commando, and flying the wrong flag for the most paranoid and ultra sensitive national team at the Games.

Like a soap opera with unbelievable plot lines.

Tongue

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 25, 2012, 10:32 PM

Post #5 of 38 (4159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] If you had to choose a pair of flags to blx up [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You have to admit the Jocks are entertaining, even if it's only in watching a road crash sense.

Not taking the blame this time, it's the information that was provided by Locog.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 25, 2012, 10:33 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #6 of 38 (4159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] If you had to choose a pair of flags to blx up [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The attitude to the South Korean Flag with North Korean officials is such that they gave up home advantage in World Cup qualifyers between the two, rather than allow the Southern Flag to be flown, and Anthem played in North Korea. The matches were played in China. The two teams did meet in South Korea though.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 25, 2012, 10:45 PM

Post #7 of 38 (4155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] If you had to choose a pair of flags to blx up [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The attitude to the South Korean Flag with North Korean officials is such that they gave up home advantage in World Cup qualifiers between the two, rather than allow the Southern Flag to be flown, and Anthem played in North Korea. The matches were played in China. The two teams did meet in South Korea though.

Could it be in the North's eyes there is still only one Korea and the South is part of it. Any symbolism of the independence of the South can, and will, not be tolerated in the North.

jon b
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 25, 2012, 11:22 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #8 of 38 (4144 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] If you had to choose a pair of flags to blx up [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Not taking the blame this time, it's the information that was provided by Locog.

In which case I repent and retract. Apologies. Cool

Though I'm a bit surprised there was no one at Hampden double and triple checking, these north/south rivalries can be a tad fraught.

Although it's a classic of its kind, there have been plenty of similar instances. Back in 2006 when Chinese President Hu Jintao visited George Bush at the White House, on his arrival he was greeted by an announcement that they would now hear the anthem of "The Republic of China".

The Chinese were not happy bunnies. China's full name is "The People's Republic of China".

"The Republic of China" is the official name of China's arch rival (as in civil war), Taiwan.

Whoops. Tongue

UKPunk

Jul 25, 2012, 11:27 PM

Post #9 of 38 (4139 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I thought it was a great piece of Scottish humour. It's the sort of thing Frankie Boyle would have done. Cool

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

D A
First Team Star

Jul 25, 2012, 11:32 PM

Team(s): Airstrip 1.

Post #10 of 38 (4132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] If you had to choose a pair of flags to blx up [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Romania v Chad would cause uproar if flags were mistaken !

'I'm not cynical. I'm just experienced'.
29/11/2012. Anyone need numbers for Cheddar F C please p/m.

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Jul 25, 2012, 11:54 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #11 of 38 (4120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [D A] If you had to choose a pair of flags to blx up [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Did they Fine North Korea for a late Kick Off ?

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Jul 25, 2012, 11:59 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #12 of 38 (4119 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Could it be in the North's eyes there is still only one Korea and the South is part of it. Any symbolism of the independence of the South can, and will, not be tolerated in the North.

And vice versa too, I would think. The two countries' official names are the Democratic Peoples' Republic of Korea and the Republic of Korea, not "North" or "South".

I am off to St James' Park to see the Republic of Korea team tomorrow, so I hope they get the anthems and flags right!

Isaac

Jul 26, 2012, 11:17 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #13 of 38 (4086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] If you had to choose a pair of flags to blx up [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Apparently many fans gave up and went home without seeing the game, total farce and I would hope that somebody has fallen on their sword?

(This post was edited by Isaac on Jul 26, 2012, 1:32 PM)

Veteran

Jul 26, 2012, 11:50 AM

Post #14 of 38 (4075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] If you had to choose a pair of flags to blx up [In reply to] Can't Post or

I bet some very Lo Cog in the organisation will get the blame and it will probably end his/her promising korea.

D A
First Team Star

Jul 26, 2012, 12:08 PM

Post #15 of 38 (4068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] If you had to choose a pair of flags to blx up [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It aint difficult !!

OR

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Jul 26, 2012, 12:58 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #16 of 38 (4054 views)
Shortcut
Re: [D A] If you had to choose a pair of flags to blx up [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Romania v Chad would cause uproar if flags were mistaken !

And heaven forfend one should mix up the British and Liechtenstein national anthems (or indeed Tanzania and Zambia).

Incidentally, hands up if you know the third verse of God Save The Queen? (no cheating...)

Yep, it's a new one on me too...

Isaac

Jul 26, 2012, 1:36 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #17 of 38 (4042 views)
Shortcut

Something about scattering our enemies?

I heard it mentioned on the radio this morningWink

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 26, 2012, 1:44 PM

Post #18 of 38 (4039 views)
Shortcut

Incidentally, hands up if you know the third verse of God Save The Queen? (no cheating...)

There is a 3rd verse to God Save The Queen?? Tongue

D A
First Team Star

Jul 26, 2012, 1:50 PM

Post #19 of 38 (4036 views)
Shortcut

Yep, it's a new one on me too

No but here's the 2nd verse of the other-

Hoch lebe Liechtenstein
Blühend am jungen Rhein,
Glücklich und treu.
Hoch leb' der Fürst vom Land,
Hoch unser Vaterland,
Durch Bruderliebe Band
Vereint und frei.

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Jul 26, 2012, 2:40 PM

Post #20 of 38 (4027 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] If you had to choose a pair of flags to blx up [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Something about scattering our enemies?

I heard it mentioned on the radio this morningWink

I believe that's the second. The enemies were mainly France and Scotland. A good reason to move swiftly onto the third, which is far less controversial.

The reason for the question is that the British National Anthem played at the games (such as if Mark Cavendish, a Manxman, wins a gold medal), will include two verses rather than the usual one. The first, and the third. I believe we've bought some of the time from South American anthems. According to the Today programme, the Uruguayan anthem in particular will be shortened from its usual six minutes.

Incidentally, should Mark Cavendish win a gold medal, the Manx anthem is:

http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

Which has the benefit of being (a) short and (b) there's worse.

Should Team GB be rebranded as Team IOM?

I'm sure there's some tax breaks involved. And if it was called Sky Team IOM would pretty much cover all the bases. Particularly if all the teams for the sitting down sports had a "Dream" added somewhere in their names. We're good at sitting down... (cycling, equestrian, rowing, sailing)... especially if it involves going backwards as well.

(This post was edited by Andrelux on Jul 26, 2012, 4:31 PM)

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Jul 26, 2012, 9:31 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #21 of 38 (3983 views)
Shortcut

Take the BBC's 'Flag and Anthem Gaffes' quiz. Number 4 made me chuckle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19001252

garethwrexy

Jul 26, 2012, 9:35 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #22 of 38 (3981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] If you had to choose a pair of flags to blx up [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

mix up the mexican and usa flags Tongue

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Jul 26, 2012, 10:34 PM

Team(s): Darlingto

Post #23 of 38 (3967 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

There is a 3rd verse to God Save The Queen?? Tongue

Isn't there actually about 5 verses to God Save Tbe Queen, I seem to remember a few years ago at one game, the second verse was played at a match, sure it was a competitive game, not sure which tournament though, but remember everybody scratching there heads as nobody knows it...

As for the Korean Flag cock-up, how stupid, the flags could not be more different, wonder why the Koreas could not team up and go as one, they have done in the past...

As what could be worse than mixing Korean Flags up,

1. Wonder how it would go down if an Israeli flag was showing next to an Iranian, Iraqi, Syrian, Lebanese or Palestinian Athlete

2. An Armenian flag shown next to an Azerbaijani and Vice Versa

3. A Union Jack or Red Hand of Ulster shown next to Irish Competitors

It is some cockup witb the Flags, but I do find it funny to be honest

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Jul 27, 2012, 12:02 AM

Team(s): Darlingto

Post #24 of 38 (3955 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] If you had to choose a pair of flags to blx up [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This reminded me of an episode of Dads Army, not to do with flags, but the National Anthem, Mainwaring asks Wilson to put on the National Anthem on on the record player, all of a sudden Deutschland Uber Alles starts playing, and Manwaring goes ballistic shouting 'Turn that bloody filth off'

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

PaulC

Jul 27, 2012, 7:07 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #25 of 38 (3878 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Should Team GB be rebranded as Team IOM?

Team GB should first of all be rebranded Team UK in order to avoid the unnecessary insult to the people and athletes of Northern Ireland

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3