INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Fullers Brewery

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 29, 2012, 1:49 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Fisher FC

Post #1 of 23 (2718 views)
Shortcut
Fullers Brewery Can't Post or Reply Privately

They seem to be on a bit of a roll lately. Their food menu is spot on and the ale selection at their pubs suberb and well kept.
Just checked out The Parcel Yard at the new Kings Cross Station concourse and although pricey at 3.80 a pint the beer was superb, I don't mind paying for quality and with 5 fullers beers on offer plus the gales seafarers and HSB also Adnams Ghost Ship and a special summer ale, I was like a kid in a sweet shop Tongue
I find every one of the Fullers beers extremely drinkable Discovery, Chiswick, London Porter, London Pride, ESB, all delicious flavours, anybody else out there appreciated this quality range on offer?

620 GROUNDS - Buckingham Athletic (57/92)
569 WETHERSPOONS - Bletchley
1 WETHERSPOONS HOTEL

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 29, 2012, 2:09 PM

Team(s): Fareham Town - THE CREEKSIDERS

Post #2 of 23 (2711 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Fullers Brewery [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
They seem to be on a bit of a roll lately. Their food menu is spot on and the ale selection at their pubs suberb and well kept.
Just checked out The Parcel Yard at the new Kings Cross Station concourse and although pricey at 3.80 a pint the beer was superb, I don't mind paying for quality and with 5 fullers beers on offer plus the gales seafarers and HSB also Adnams Ghost Ship and a special summer ale, I was like a kid in a sweet shop Tongue
I find every one of the Fullers beers extremely drinkable Discovery, Chiswick, London Porter, London Pride, ESB, all delicious flavours, anybody else out there appreciated this quality range on offer?

Hate Fullers with a passion and as for still being allowed to call HSB HSB is beyond me. Bring back Gales Brewery - Nothing less than murder

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor
www.facebook.com/nonleaguebins

A football club is for life, not just for trophies

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 29, 2012, 2:34 PM

Post #3 of 23 (2706 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Fullers Brewery [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Hate Fullers with a passion...
Perhaps their hoppy style isn't to your taste.

Bring back Gales Brewery - Nothing less than murder
Fuller's have long been one of the darlings of the real ale movement so they blotted their copy book with this purchase. Sad to see the closure of Gales brewery.

(This post was edited by Mr. T on May 29, 2012, 3:09 PM)

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 29, 2012, 2:49 PM

Post #4 of 23 (2695 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
They seem to be on a bit of a roll lately. Their food menu is spot on and the ale selection at their pubs suberb and well kept....I find every one of the Fullers beers extremely drinkable Discovery, Chiswick, London Porter, London Pride, ESB, all delicious flavours, anybody else out there appreciated this quality range on offer?

Notwithstanding my remarks about Young's London Special Ale (the bottle-conditioned beer), I've always preferred Fuller's much hoppier quality. About 10 years or so ago the company expanded its estate out of the south-east, buying little clutches of pubs in north Oxon, Warwickshire and the west midlands (their large presence in Wessex is of course a result of the purchase of Gale's).

They took some really tired old pubs that used to be run by the old nationals and transformed them. Two that I know well are the Red Lion in Bloxham near Banbury (once of Courage) and the Chequers in Chipping Norton, a shabby old Hall's pub but a building of some character.

Well-kept London Pride is one of Britain's finest brews, alongside TT's Landlord.

(This post was edited by Mr. T on May 29, 2012, 3:08 PM)

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 29, 2012, 2:56 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Fisher FC

Post #5 of 23 (2692 views)
Shortcut

I knew I would touch a nerve by mentioning Gales, apologies for that, I can recall many delicious pints of HSB and Seafarers down in Sussex, notably Shoreham, and agree its not quite the same now however, I don't feel its right to tarnish Fullers name over this as they have continued to produce fine ales that can be enjoyed at all times of the year.

1 WETHERSPOONS HOTEL

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 29, 2012, 3:05 PM

Post #6 of 23 (2683 views)
Shortcut

From what I remember at the time of the takeover, Gales brewery was said to be on its last legs, the equipment clapped out and in need of replacement. The owners lacked either the money or the motivation to refurbish the place and sold out. It was a surprise that Fuller's bought it because they weren't considered to be a predator brewery.

(This post was edited by Mr. T on May 29, 2012, 3:05 PM)

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 29, 2012, 3:07 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #7 of 23 (2679 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hate Fullers with a passion and as for still being allowed to call HSB HSB is beyond me. Bring back Gales Brewery - Nothing less than murder

I'm with you there Splodge. Is it true that the old Horndean Brewery site is still derelict?

I remember going on a trip around the brewery in about 1993. The HSB served in the pub across the road was one of the loveliest pints I think I've ever drunk. The 'Robin Hood' pub in Havant town centre always served it very well, too. The present Fullers-made HSB doesn't even come close.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 29, 2012, 3:11 PM

Post #8 of 23 (2674 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Fullers Brewery [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

The present Fullers-made HSB doesn't even come close.

A beer simply cannot be reproduced accurately in a different brewery.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 29, 2012, 4:04 PM

Post #9 of 23 (2665 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Fullers Brewery [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

The present Fullers-made HSB doesn't even come close.

Exactly. The Horndean Brewery (where HSB was originally made by Gales) took water from its own well dug into the chalk of the South Downs, and the properties that water gives the beer could never be reproduced at Fullers brewery. Horndean-brewed HSB was always remarkably sweet and didn't form any sort of frothy head on top (and was admittedly an aquired taste for some), while modern day Fullers-brewed HSB isn't as sweet and always seems served with froth. Fullers HSB is certainly a decent pint, approachable and much more of a crowd-pleaser, but its such a sanitised version of the original without enough character. Some would say its good that HSB is now much more widely available around the country than it could ever be under Gales (indeed, its in the pub across the road from where I live in Oxford), but its lost much of its personality in that jump.

When Fullers bought Gales in 2005 the brewery certainly was in a run-down state, but Fullers seemed to have little intention of keeping it open as they quickly started making redundancies, closed the brewery within months, but kept the names of the beers. Whatever the financial/structural condition of the Gales business Fullers bought, there is no denying that the watersource at Horndean could/can still make very high quality beer, so why waste it? From an accountants point of view, the beer names could well have been the most (or only?) valuable thing left, but if HSB has changed that much, should they have been allowed to keep using the name HSB? (Without wanting to open a particularly well-labelled can of worms, its alittle like a certain Buckinghamshire football club we all know of! Wink)

Incidentally, Gales HSB (we're talking pre-Fullers here) was one of those beers that was always deemed 'not to travel well' (I remember finding it in a couple of pubs in Ryde, and maybe very occasionally as far north as Newbury). Is/was there any truth in certain beers not travelling well outside of a certain area? As a student in the eighties, I loved Brains SA but it was only available in two pubs in Swansea, the 'Sketty Arms' and 'Adam & Eve', whereas now its in pubs all over the place (again, not tasting quite the same, and I suspect in my student days it was a Swansea/Cardiff thing that made it hard to find).

D A
First Team Star

May 29, 2012, 4:24 PM

Team(s): Airstrip 1.

Post #10 of 23 (2659 views)
Shortcut

Exactly. .

After helping with brewing at the Rising Sun , Shraley Brook and helping to set up the brewery at the Borough Arms Crewe I found it it's difficult enough to get the same result at the same brewerey!
No probs with that though , slightly diff ABV call it summat else , it sells better !
The big boys tasteless beers are fairly consistent but I have the utmost respect for Micro brewers.

'I'm not cynical. I'm just experienced'.
29/11/2012. Anyone need numbers for Cheddar F C please p/m.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 29, 2012, 4:29 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #11 of 23 (2652 views)
Shortcut
Re: [D A] Fullers Brewery [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Back in the day, our annual 'Monday Club' outing was to
a Fullers pub in darkest Essex and the only rules were,
that ESB was the only alcoholic drink to be consumed..

The rest writes itself Unsure

Who ever thought that surfing naked on top of a taxi
in February was a good idea..... Crazy

Play-off programmes wanted: 2004 Basingstoke v Lewes. 2005 Droylsden v Kettering, Maldon v Barking, Maldon v Uxbridge. 2006 Brackley v Marlow, Kendal v Stocksbridge. 2007 Paulton v Taunton, Tooting v Hastings. 2008 Didcot v Oxford City, Tooting v Worthing, Sheffield v Stocksbridge. 2009 East Thurrock v Concord, Ilkeston v Kendal, Nantwich v Guiseley, Stocksbridge v Carlton. 2014 Tiverton v Paulton. 2015 Darlington v Bamber Bridge.

FA Vase semis wanted: 1978 Barton v Hungerford. 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

FA Trophy programmes wanted: 1969-70 Any round from first season. Have many but plenty of gaps still to fill.

D A
First Team Star

May 29, 2012, 4:35 PM

Team(s): Airstrip 1.

Post #12 of 23 (2649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Fullers Brewery [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Obviously humming the ''Hawaii 50 theme'' ?

'I'm not cynical. I'm just experienced'.
29/11/2012. Anyone need numbers for Cheddar F C please p/m.

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 29, 2012, 6:52 PM

Team(s): Fareham Town - THE CREEKSIDERS

Post #13 of 23 (2629 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I'm with you there Splodge. Is it true that the old Horndean Brewery site is still derelict?

I don't go that way too often but I believe some of it is still there as its a listed building?

Fullers bought Gales out to close the brewery down. They openly admitted at the time they just wanted the HSB brand name and to sell the brewery site on at a profit to be turned into "luxury apartments."

They made and openly attempted to make no attempt at keeping Gales (which wasn't one of my favourite beers) running as a viable brewery, that is what rankles me the most.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor
www.facebook.com/nonleaguebins

A football club is for life, not just for trophies

VP
Man City Transfer Target!

May 29, 2012, 7:11 PM

Post #14 of 23 (2624 views)
Shortcut

Our clubhouse used to be supplied by Gales. The bloke who runs the bar had built up a good relationship with the brewery and we were wondering what would happen when Fullers took over. Luckily Fullers have been great to us and we have a good relationship with them as well so, on that front, all's good.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 29, 2012, 8:57 PM

Post #15 of 23 (2603 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Fullers Brewery [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Our clubhouse used to be supplied by Gales. The bloke who runs the bar had built up a good relationship with the brewery and we were wondering what would happen when Fullers took over. Luckily Fullers have been great to us and we have a good relationship with them as well so, on that front, all's good.

If I remember rightly you had Gales Seafarers ale on when I last visited Smile

1 WETHERSPOONS HOTEL

stourboy
First Team Star

May 29, 2012, 9:14 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #16 of 23 (2598 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I love their beers. As I mentioned on the other thread London Pride is my favourite, and I recently tried the Indian pale ale, Bengal Lancer I think it was, on tap in York and that was pretty nice too.

One of my favourite pubs is the Head of the River in Oxford, stunning location, great food and Fuller's LP on tap! Heaven Smile

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Jun 3, 2012, 3:19 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #17 of 23 (2503 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stourboy] Fullers Brewery [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have had approx two pints of F****s since they destroyed Gales a few years ago. I now actively avoid their pubs which, outside London, isn't difficult.

Like Greene King only with a better product IMO.

G GALE & SONS HORNDEAN HANTS. FINEST BEERS IN THE SOUTH OF ENGLAND RIP!! Mad

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

sandhurstbee
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 11, 2012, 1:16 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #18 of 23 (2392 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Fullers Brewery [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Brentford brought their ground from Fullers in 1904. It was an orchard owned by the nearby Chiswick based Griffin Brewery hence the name Griffin Park. Their is also The Griffin pub on one of the corners, unsurprisingly a Fullers pub.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 17, 2012, 1:51 PM

Post #19 of 23 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Demolition has started on the old Gales brewery site....

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/...es-brewery-1-4164257

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 19, 2012, 11:59 PM

Post #20 of 23 (2108 views)
Shortcut

Had a pint of Gales HSB the other week and have to say it was a fine pint, two in fact, I didn't notice it being that different now its Fullers.

1 WETHERSPOONS HOTEL

Trevor P
First Team Star

Sep 4, 2012, 4:50 PM

Team(s): Torquay United/Dawlish United

Post #21 of 23 (1946 views)
Shortcut
Re: [D A] Fullers Brewery [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

... I found it's difficult enough to get the same result at the same brewery!
No probs with that though , slightly diff ABV call it summat else , it sells better !

Standard practice in fact! I know of a Devon brewer who produced his first brew and marketed it at 3 different, broadly similar strengths. No real problem with that, but towards the end of the year he had another go and this time it was significantly stronger even though he thought he'd followed exactly the same procedure as before. Decided to call it his Christmas beer and it was a huge success!

As for Fuller's, I don't enjoy their beers nearly as much as I used to. Not sure whether this is prejudice or not. Think their handling of the Gale's takeover was pretty crass, to be honest, so maybe that has affected my judgment of their beer quality!

The thing that grates with me is when one of the well-known gobblers up of smaller concerns, Greede King for instance, proceeds to market beers in such a way that the less informed punter sees nothing on the pump clip to indicate the beer he's drinking comes from Bury St. Edmunds rather than where it was originally produced. "Good grief, Landlord. This Old Speckled Hen tastes a bit thin!"

(This post was edited by Trevor P on Sep 5, 2012, 8:40 PM)

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 15, 2018, 9:58 AM

Post #22 of 23 (824 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
They took some really tired old pubs that used to be run by the old nationals and transformed them. Two that I know well are the Red Lion in Bloxham near Banbury (once of Courage) and the Chequers in Chipping Norton, a shabby old Hall's pub but a building of some character.

I fear for it:
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/..._after_major_refurb/

Dave 56
Reserve Team Star

Jun 15, 2018, 3:38 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #23 of 23 (733 views)
Shortcut

Fullers took over Dark Star earlier this year. Claiming that brewing will continue at their existing site, lets hope so. As an aside Mark Tranter, former Head Brewer of Dark Star, left in 2013 to form his own brewery Burning Sky. Strongly recommend their beers in particular Plateau 3.5& Pale, great session beer and the near perfect Aurora 5.6%, one of the best beers anywhere imo.

With regards to Fullers beers, the likes and dislikes are about personal taste, if we all liked the same thing it would be pretty boring.My dislike is mainly their core range. Chiswick seems to have all but disappeared, which I thought was a good light beer and replaced with the dreadful and tasteless Olivers Island. ESB and London Pride a shadow of their former selves.

On the positive side I think London Porter and Black Cab stout are two wonderful dark beers and other seasonal's very drinkable such as Jack Frost, Bengal Lancer and Wild River.

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/...-Dark-Star-take-over

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3