Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Cricket question

Matty
Reserve Team Star

May 18, 2012, 11:20 AM

Team(s): All things Derbyshire

Post #1 of 16 (1753 views)
Shortcut
Cricket question Can't Post or Reply Privately

Read the other day that after the one or two days were rained off in the Hamps vs Derbys game that Hamps signed a player from Minor Counties cricket and he could play - sort of like being half way through a footie match and signing someone on - just seems strange to me - but forgetting the ringers argument I don't see much wrong in it.

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

May 18, 2012, 11:40 AM

Post #2 of 16 (1751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Matty] Cricket question [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I might be wrong here but I thought that as long as the match has not commenced, i.e. as long as no balls have been bowled, teams can change their line ups at any time. Once a single ball has been bowled they must stick with their starting XI. Clarification anyone?

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Matty
Reserve Team Star

May 18, 2012, 11:54 AM

Post #3 of 16 (1746 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Cricket question [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well that sort of brings up another thing I'm not clear on - in football is it right that when you name a squad you can't replace a player you have (originally) named if their injury was pre exististing - and how exactly do you police that?

UKPunk

May 18, 2012, 11:56 AM

Post #4 of 16 (1744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Matty] Cricket question [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That's a good question and one that I don't know the answer to. But I'm sure someone 'in the know' will post shortly.

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 18, 2012, 11:56 AM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #5 of 16 (1744 views)
Shortcut

I might be wrong here but I thought that as long as the match has not commenced, i.e. as long as no balls have been bowled, teams can change their line ups at any time. Once a single ball has been bowled they must stick with their starting XI. Clarification anyone?

Quite right.

If a round of County Championship games are starting on the same day as a Test Match it's not been unknown for any discarded players to phone ahead that they are available and hot-foot it back to their County for a game, frequently arriving well after the game has started. Happens less now with central contracts taking priority.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

UKPunk

May 18, 2012, 12:08 PM

Post #6 of 16 (1740 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Cricket question [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Quite right.

If a round of County Championship games are starting on the same day as a Test Match it's not been unknown for any discarded players to phone ahead that they are available and hot-foot it back to their County for a game, frequently arriving well after the game has started. Happens less now with central contracts taking priority.

A assume though that the player concerned would have been included in the declared starting line up before the first ball is bowled? How would that work if said player was on his way to the game but his side were bowling? Would his side just use the 12th man until he arrived?

Matty
Reserve Team Star

May 18, 2012, 12:18 PM

Post #7 of 16 (1738 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Quite right.

and a rule that I dare say my county of Derbyshire don't trouble themselves too much with

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 18, 2012, 12:19 PM

Post #8 of 16 (1737 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Quite right.

A assume though that the player concerned would have been included in the declared starting line up before the first ball is bowled? How would that work if said player was on his way to the game but his side were bowling? Would his side just use the 12th man until he arrived?

Which is why they have to phone ahead and more than likely.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

zebedee
First Team Star

May 18, 2012, 12:51 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #9 of 16 (1731 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Strictly speaking the starting XI has to be stuck to once the toss has taken place. However if an injury occurs between toss and the first ball, a change can be made with the agreement of the opposing captain - for example in the 3rd Test of the 2009 Ashes the Australian wicketkeeper Brad Haddin broke a finger in the warm up, after the toss. Andrew Strauss gave permission for Australia to replace him with Graham Manou, who came in for his only Test cap.

Billybadknees
Reserve Team Sub

May 18, 2012, 1:14 PM

Team(s): Sheffield FC, Sheffield Wednesday, Staveley MWFC

Post #10 of 16 (1727 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zebedee] Cricket question [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In club cricket, we exchange official ECB team cards and like zebedee states, that team can only be altered with permission of the opposing captain.

www.lords.org for the laws of cricket, although nearly every competition has its own variances.

Sig-lite!

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 18, 2012, 1:56 PM

Post #11 of 16 (1718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zebedee] Cricket question [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Strictly speaking the starting XI has to be stuck to once the toss has taken place. However if an injury occurs between toss and the first ball, a change can be made with the agreement of the opposing captain - for example in the 3rd Test of the 2009 Ashes the Australian wicketkeeper Brad Haddin broke a finger in the warm up, after the toss. Andrew Strauss gave permission for Australia to replace him with Graham Manou, who came in for his only Test cap.

The game in question was May 9th-May 12th but the Wednesday & Thursday were washed out so the Toss wouldn't have happened to the Friday morning, effectively turning a 4 day game into a 2 day game. The sides could have ummed & aahhed about their final playing XI right up to the toss on the Friday morning. With three Centurions in the game, when play finally got under way, it unsurprisingly finished a draw. Scorecard can be found here courtesy of Cricinfo.

Matty
Reserve Team Star

May 18, 2012, 2:50 PM

Post #12 of 16 (1708 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

The game in question was May 9th-May 12th but the Wednesday & Thursday were washed out so the Toss wouldn't have happened to the Friday morning, effectively turning a 4 day game into a 2 day game. The sides could have ummed & aahhed about their final playing XI right up to the toss on the Friday morning. With three Centurions in the game, when play finally got under way, it unsurprisingly finished a draw. Scorecard can be found here courtesy of Cricinfo.

I'm sure you're not refering to Derbyshire here - 'cus it's more a case if your willing and able rather than umming or aaghing, gone are the days of whistling down the nearest pit.

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

May 21, 2012, 12:51 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #13 of 16 (1612 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Quite right.

I went to a game at Hove last year when a test player was parachuted in halfway through the first innings.

I completely disagree with this. Its a farce. the guy he replaced had even already bowled!

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

(This post was edited by wishmaster3211 on May 21, 2012, 12:53 PM)

Richard Watts
Youth Team Star

May 21, 2012, 9:53 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet FC, Surrey CCC

Post #14 of 16 (1578 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The game in question was May 9th-May 12th but the Wednesday & Thursday were washed out so the Toss wouldn't have happened to the Friday morning, effectively turning a 4 day game into a 2 day game. The sides could have ummed & aahhed about their final playing XI right up to the toss on the Friday morning.

The toss is clearly the watershed where this issue is concerned. In the recent Surrey v Worcestershire match, the visitors won the toss and chose to field, both XIs had been announced and were listed on the scorecards on Cricinfo etc., but there was subsequently no play on the first day.

Richard Watts
Youth Team Star

May 21, 2012, 10:05 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet FC, Surrey CCC

Post #15 of 16 (1573 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Cricket question [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I went to a game at Hove last year when a test player was parachuted in halfway through the first innings.

I completely disagree with this. Its a farce. the guy he replaced had even already bowled!

Being something of a traditionalist I'm with you on this one. It happens a couple of times each season with Tests generally starting a day later than the round of Championship matches for the same week. England name a squad of 12 or 13 for a Test, then the player(s) omitted can join in thier county's match a a full replacement (i.e. batting and bowling) for a player who has already batted and/or bowled.

In the old days that player omitted from the England team would simply not get a game that week. Or sometimes he may be named in the XI for his county if the game was starting on the same day as the Test, but the county team would have to operate a man short (except for using a substitute fielder) until he could get from the Test venue to his county match, which might be several hours after the start of play.

It happens the other way around too. In last year's Derbyshire v Surrey match Jade Dernbach of Surrey was called up as a late replacement for a Test squad after he'd already started playing for Surrey and had bowled. (He was not eventually included in the England XI.) He was replaced in the Surrey XI by Matt Dunn, who took five wickets in the second innings on his debut and helped Surrey to win the match.

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

May 21, 2012, 10:27 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #16 of 16 (1569 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Watts] Cricket question [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If this is to be permitted then we need to have subs or pinch hitters like in baseball. Then the other side could bring in an extra batsman for one that was already out for example.

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3