Playing postponed games the following day

eesti7
First Team Sub

Jan 17, 2012, 5:43 PM

Team(s): Gillingham, Tonbridge

Post #1 of 21 (2161 views)
Shortcut
Playing postponed games the following day Can't Post or Reply Privately

Both Wrexham v Brighton and Chesterfield v Oldham have been postponed tonight so will be played tomorrow.

I've never heard of this before in English professional football in my lifetime. It's terrible news for Brighton and Oldham fans who were going tonight and may not be able to make the journey at 24 hours notice.

It also got me wondering about the rule that replayed/postponed games have to be played with a week's notice. The usual form would be for these games to now be played on FA Cup 4th round day. What's changed?

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 17, 2012, 6:15 PM

Post #2 of 21 (2154 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eesti7] Playing postponed games the following day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think it used to happen a lot more often than it does now although I can't give you any examples.

I agree it would be a bummer for those who had travelled, but then I guess it's a bummer for them either way.

Isaac

Jan 17, 2012, 7:38 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #3 of 21 (2137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eesti7] Playing postponed games the following day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was suprised about the Wrexham v Brighton game seeing as FA Cup replays are normally delayed by a week to allow for police arrangements.

Wasn't the game called off early today to save Brighton fans a wasted journey? Of course there is no guarantee that the game will actually take place tomorrow

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Jan 17, 2012, 11:28 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #4 of 21 (2102 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Playing postponed games the following day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Brighton game was called Off before 10.00 AM. Good to see they are not waiting a week if possible, police must be happy for it to go ahead tomorrow. Whenever it is played some fans may not be able to go on the restaging date. Also ESPN are covering it tomorrow and as a result of this postponement Bognor v Brighton in the Sussex Senior Cup is postponed tomorrow.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 18, 2012, 1:52 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #5 of 21 (2052 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Both Wrexham v Brighton and Chesterfield v Oldham have been postponed tonight so will be played tomorrow.

I've never heard of this before in English professional football in my lifetime. It's terrible news for Brighton and Oldham fans who were going tonight and may not be able to make the journey at 24 hours notice.

It also got me wondering about the rule that replayed/postponed games have to be played with a week's notice. The usual form would be for these games to now be played on FA Cup 4th round day. What's changed?

Not new, but then your lifetime's probably not as long as my football lifetimeCrazy

May 9th 1973 - Liverpool v Borussia Moenchengladbach in the UEFA Cup Final abandoned after 27 minutes of torrential rain. Played the following night at Anfield when if I recall correctly it cost 5p to get in ?

jrev61

Jan 18, 2012, 6:53 PM

Team(s): None

Post #6 of 21 (1999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Playing postponed games the following day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Czechoslovakia v. England in 1975 was abandoned early on because of fog and replayed the following day.
Czechoslovakia won 2-1, knocked England out and went on to win the European Championship.

jrev61

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 18, 2012, 7:02 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #7 of 21 (1997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Playing postponed games the following day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Czechoslovakia v. England in 1975 was abandoned early on because of fog and replayed the following day.
Czechoslovakia won 2-1, knocked England out and went on to win the European Championship.

Was that England F ?

For the older gits..............Cool

eesti7
First Team Sub

Jan 18, 2012, 7:14 PM

Team(s): Gillingham, Tonbridge

Post #8 of 21 (1993 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Playing postponed games the following day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Those two examples are (just!) in my lifetime. But they're European matches. I think there's always been an effort to get such matches played while the squad(s) are still in the right country.

If this is going to become the norm domestically then I feel sorry for the fans who go to every game. It's a lot easier to make plans at a weeks notice rather than 24 hours notice, especially midweek when you need to arrange time off work first. I would be interested to know how many Brighton fans would have been at the Racecourse yesterday and how many will be there tonight.

dottirofhod

Jan 18, 2012, 7:20 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #9 of 21 (1991 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Was that England F ?

Remember it well, Oct 29 , 1975 with a 17-00 kick off in Bratislava in the European Championship . 17 mins fog . Went back to hotel and they tried shipping our tour to the airport to fly back. What ensued was a sit down refusal to move in the hotel , armed police called to guard us and the authorities eventually relented with an extra day's visa to watch game following day with a 14-00 kick off. The expensive tours didn't do that well , boat after game to their hotel in Vienna and couldn't get a visa to get back next day. The Old Git.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 107 / 91 / 16 / inc 4 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 17 / 11 / 2019. England. Tiers 1 - 10 = 0.
Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

leohoenig
Administrator

Jan 19, 2012, 12:03 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #10 of 21 (1942 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Playing postponed games the following day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think he is referring to those old gits who were likely lads in their youth
(Actually, that could be you)

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

sjj2112
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 19, 2012, 3:57 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alexandra, Nantwich Town, Ashford Town (Middx), Venezia

Post #11 of 21 (1909 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Assuming that you are not referring to cup games only, then surely the most recent prior example of this is Arsenal's decision to put back their league game against Wolves by 24 hours last Boxing Day.

I appreciate the decision wasn't made on the scheduled day - but it was done at quite short notice.

I'm a man of many anoraks.....

garethwrexy

Jan 19, 2012, 4:30 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #12 of 21 (1900 views)
Shortcut

police have to agree as well if a match is put back 24 hours

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

ictoan
First Team Regular

Jan 19, 2012, 4:57 PM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 21 (1891 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Playing postponed games the following day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

From seeing last night's Wrexham/Brighton match on TV there seemed to be large areas of the ground with few spectators. Was this because many who expected to attend on Tuesday couldn't on Wednesday or are there parts of the ground not usable?

By the way, many Brighton supporters on their Fan's Forum thought you should have won.

There 'Ant no place like Sussex, until you goes above, 'Cause Sussex will be Sussex and Sussex wunt be druv.

The North begins at Gatwick.

Isaac

Jan 19, 2012, 5:28 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #14 of 21 (1887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ictoan] Playing postponed games the following day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
From seeing last night's Wrexham/Brighton match on TV there seemed to be large areas of the ground with few spectators. Was this because many who expected to attend on Tuesday couldn't on Wednesday or are there parts of the ground not usable?

By the way, many Brighton supporters on their Fan's Forum thought you should have won.

I don't know in this case but FA Cup ties where large areas of the ground have few (if any) spectators are not uncommon nowadaysWink

By all accounts Wrexham were very unfortunate!

ictoan
First Team Regular

Jan 19, 2012, 5:35 PM

Team(s):

Post #15 of 21 (1884 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Playing postponed games the following day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't know in this case but FA Cup ties where large areas of the ground have few (if any) spectators are not uncommon nowadays

The reason for my question was because the match was supposed to have been a sell-out.

There 'Ant no place like Sussex, until you goes above, 'Cause Sussex will be Sussex and Sussex wunt be druv.

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Jan 19, 2012, 5:44 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #16 of 21 (1879 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I don't know in this case but FA Cup ties where large areas of the ground have few (if any) spectators are not uncommon nowadaysWink

Only 9,466 at Bolton and 10,855 at QPR for their replays. Pretty bad really.

Mishi

Jan 19, 2012, 6:16 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #17 of 21 (1871 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] Playing postponed games the following day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Strange...FA Cup replays in the competition proper must be ten days after the original tie, because the police insisted on the extra week to sort out their resources. Yet now it's fine to have a match the day after a postponement. Surely extra police are drafted in for games, so wht no delay in the resecheduled match?

Time to scrap the lengthy wait for replays,now that precident has been set for re-arrangements.

I realise it is a different force for a replay, possibly depending on the clubs involved, but it must be the same principle?

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 19, 2012, 11:07 PM

Post #18 of 21 (1823 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Playing postponed games the following day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Strange...FA Cup replays in the competition proper must be ten days after the original tie, because the police insisted on the extra week to sort out their resources. Yet now it's fine to have a match the day after a postponement. Surely extra police are drafted in for games, so wht no delay in the resecheduled match?

Time to scrap the lengthy wait for replays,now that precident has been set for re-arrangements.

I realise it is a different force for a replay, possibly depending on the clubs involved, but it must be the same principle?

I seem to remember it was The Met who insisted on the extra week and, to prevent different rules in different parts of the country, the FA introduced the change nationwide.

There have been many ad hoc concessions in different areas over the years, but now The Met have seemingly also softened their line (Arsenal v Wolves last month), is it time for the rule to be revisited ?

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 20, 2012, 9:27 AM

Post #19 of 21 (1794 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ictoan] Playing postponed games the following day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

The large terrace at the town end is closed having failed a safety check four years ago, taking more than 4,000 off the capacity which now stands at around 10,500 (all seated). Wednesday's attendance was 8,356.

ictoan
First Team Regular

Jan 20, 2012, 9:41 AM

Team(s):

Post #20 of 21 (1792 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Playing postponed games the following day [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thank you for that.

richiejenn
First Team Star

Jan 20, 2012, 12:40 PM

Team(s):

Post #21 of 21 (1772 views)
Shortcut

Carshalton v Lincoln FA Trophy replay this week was delayed 24 hrs because of a waterlogged pitch. Robins won 3-1 :-)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3