Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Showboating

Fanatic
First Team Star

Dec 11, 2011, 8:59 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 18 (3891 views)
Shortcut
Showboating Can't Post or Reply Privately

As a couple of posters have mentioned it on the "Where did you go thread for yesterday", I thought I'd bring up the subject of Jimmy Kebbe's "showboating" and the reaction of former professionals to it.

For those that didn't see it, Reading were holding onto a lead against West Ham at home and playing a bit of keep-ball. Kebbe received the ball, bent down to pull up a sock, then played it back to a team mate. West Ham's Collison then steamed in on him with a late challenge/push and was promptly red carded.

On Five Live Danny Mills seems to think Collison's actions were justifiable. Steve Claridge then said as much on the Football League show.

I just wonder how anyone can defend Collison's behaviour. Football is an entertainment business and Kebbe was simply entertaining the crowd. The old pros' argument seemed to be that it was because he was taking the piss out of a fellow professional that it was justified, but surely any number of other things count as this (nutmegs, chipped penalties etc).

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 11, 2011, 9:04 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #2 of 18 (3888 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Showboating [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think someone else hit on the real reason for the old pro's justifying it - Kebe's "not one of us" if you catch my drift................sadly.

VP
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 11, 2011, 9:52 PM

Post #3 of 18 (3873 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Showboating [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The worst part of it was the way Kebe fell down as if he'd been shot and lay on the floor prostrate for a while.
Embarrassing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK96JzNfXzs

(Clip will probably be removed shortly)

(This post was edited by VP on Dec 11, 2011, 9:56 PM)

buncranaboy

Dec 11, 2011, 9:58 PM

Post #4 of 18 (3867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Showboating [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Plenty of that in the Real v Barca game last night but what a spectacle in spite of it. I look forward to the reports from the guys who went there. And the arch-showboater Jose had been soooo confident

Richard Rundle

Dec 11, 2011, 10:23 PM

Post #5 of 18 (3856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Showboating [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Plenty of that in the Real v Barca game last night but what a spectacle in spite of it. I look forward to the reports from the guys who went there. And the arch-showboater Jose had been soooo confident

It wasn't a tackle so much as an assault. Both the high tackle and the push were inexcusable. Collison should have the book thrown at him - whoops sorry it's the FA who think that Rooney's red card in the Euro qualifiers was worthy of an appeal!

The look of disbelief on Collison's face when the ref showed him the red card was priceless as well!

Isaac

Dec 12, 2011, 11:13 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #6 of 18 (3826 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I think someone else hit on the real reason for the old pro's justifying it - Kebe's "not one of us" if you catch my drift................sadly.

I can't see too much wrong with Kebe's alleged showboating.............."not one of us"? Strange comment!

Mishi

Dec 12, 2011, 12:29 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #7 of 18 (3815 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Showboating [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If that's justified then I'm a Dutchman. Herdie gerdie..or whatever they say!

So the bloke was taking the piss..but to foul him like that can't be anything but a red, never mind the push after, which should be a red on it's own.

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

Isaac

Dec 12, 2011, 12:59 PM

Post #8 of 18 (3805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Showboating [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

So the bloke was taking the piss..but to foul him like that can't be anything but a red, never mind the push after, which should be a red on it's own.

Taking the piss or not, Kebe's done nothing wrong

buncranaboy

Dec 12, 2011, 1:19 PM

Post #9 of 18 (3798 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

The post on the other thread says that the pundits who dissed Kebe's actions suggested that if he had been English he wouldn't have done it; i.e "not one of us" so somehow inherently different. Poppycock.
Capisce?

sandhurstbee

Dec 12, 2011, 1:33 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #10 of 18 (3792 views)
Shortcut

I saw Stan Bowles at Brentford take the ball to the corner and sit on the ball, prompting the defender who had been trying to kick him all afternoon to take a mighty swipe at the ball and the player, Stan rolled over as if shot (Naturally) but was soon on his feet when the Defender saw Red. Guess it is a case of whose side you are on, If Bowles had done that against us I would have been screaming at him as much of the next man, Because it was for us I laughed. Tongue

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

blucher blue
Youth Team Regular

Dec 12, 2011, 2:34 PM

Team(s): Stalybridge Celtic, Oldham A. Charlton

Post #11 of 18 (3780 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Showboating [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The ref. had no choice, really, did he?

Isaac

Dec 12, 2011, 4:05 PM

Post #12 of 18 (3750 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

The post on the other thread says that the pundits who dissed Kebe's actions suggested that if he had been English he wouldn't have done it; i.e "not one of us" so somehow inherently different. Poppycock.
Capisce?

I've not seen any other thread and it hadn't occured too me that Kebe wasn't English anyway.

Red Adder
Youth Team Star

Dec 12, 2011, 4:14 PM

Post #13 of 18 (3744 views)
Shortcut

Surely the most famous case of show boating was Leeds v. Southampton around 1970 - so it has been part of the British game.

Isaac

Dec 12, 2011, 4:29 PM

Post #14 of 18 (3737 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Red Adder] Showboating [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Surely the most famous case of show boating was Leeds v. Southampton around 1970 - so it has been part of the British game.

Indeed, I think I've got some footage of that on a MOTD DVD, 7-0!

VP

Dec 12, 2011, 8:51 PM

Post #15 of 18 (3680 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Yes he has. Lying down like he's dead and then springing back up is clearly feigning injury = unsporting behaviour = yellow card.
The other bloke got his deserved red but antics like Kebe's really get on my wick. You see it at our level as well - pretending they've got a broken leg or something and then getting up and running off when the ref asks if they need treatment.
Sadly most refs fall for it and are too weak to do anything about this 'gamesmanship' and the punters never seem to mention it. Maybe it's just me that thinks players who do this should be tarred and feathered and paraded around town on the back of a pony with a sign saying 'cheat' hung around their neck.

Isaac

Dec 12, 2011, 9:17 PM

Post #16 of 18 (3673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Showboating [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was refering too his 'showboating' rather than anything that happened afterwards but as you say the red card was justified anyway.

I totally agree with you about cheats although tarring and feathering sounds a bit extreme, a three match ban with longer bans for repeat offenders might be a more viable option although Luis Suarez would probably already be banned until Easter!

markrfc
Youth Team Sub

Dec 13, 2011, 6:07 PM

Team(s): Reading FC

Post #17 of 18 (3609 views)
Shortcut

Just copied across my original post in WDYG below, including a quote from Royals26 (hope he doesn't mind)

I wasn't at the game, but watching the BBC highlights it's Collison's boot connecting with Kebe's knee that constitutes the serious foul play for me. Just the push and he might have got away with yellow for aggressive attitude/reckless challenge.

I wonder what the media response would have been if it had been Reading losing, a man down, and challenging a West Ham player who did a bit of showboating. I have a sneaky feeling that the opinions would be somewhat reversed.

In Reply To
The Jimmy K 'socks' incident that led to the second Red card (Collinson) was supremely mis-read by the meejah too - especially that @rse Claridge and his puppy Manish. Sly

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought Clariidge's comments on the FL show were pretty poor then. Wasn't there something about "you wouldn't see that from an English player"? Yeah right......

Mind you, Mick Gooding on BBCRB live commentary didn't sound too chuffed by Jimmy's antics either.

buncranaboy

Dec 13, 2011, 7:44 PM

Post #18 of 18 (3594 views)
Shortcut
Re: [markrfc] Showboating [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

OK for Gazza to do it cos he was a proper laaaaaaaaad. Ditto Stan Bowles as already referred to.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3