Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

hunter
Youth Team Sub

May 25, 2008, 12:22 PM

Team(s): Gresley FC (ex Rovers), Everton, CA Huracan (Buenos Aires), Coventry Bees.

Post #26 of 42 (4967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Red Robbo] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think the training track at Sheffield is still in use. The back straight terrace was re-furbished a few years ago but i don't think it's been used. It may be a case of keeping stewarding costs down. Milton Keynes will be most welcome to start a team; so long as they don't take someone else's!

Hoppy
Reserve Team Sub

May 26, 2008, 1:22 AM

Team(s): Man City,Oldham Ath, Runcorn, South liverpool now non league traveller.

Post #27 of 42 (4923 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I visited Milton Keynes at Efield Park, it was like being in a crator on the moon but the racing was good.
I have managed to get to most tracks and enjoyed all the racing.
Belle Vues old Hyde Road track was good and no riders seem to dislike it.
Sheffield has always seen fast racing with a good crowd but the Wolves v Cradley takes some beating, I have never seen rivalry so keen even in challenge meetings!!
Its a shame some of the tracks like Long Eaton, Leicester, Halifax, Hackney and Ellesmere Port are no longer racing.
I should imagine Leicester v Coventry were big rivals as were West Ham v Wimbledon.
I expect Glasgow and Edinburgh are big rival too.

hunter
Youth Team Sub

May 26, 2008, 8:32 AM

Team(s): Gresley FC (ex Rovers), Everton, CA Huracan (Buenos Aires), Coventry Bees.

Post #28 of 42 (4907 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hoppy] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't think the Wolves v Cradley thing will ever die down for some people. Whenever i've seen Coventry ride at Wolves there are always dozens of Cradley fans there, usually supporting Coventry. Many Leicester fans went to Coventry after Leicester's closure in 1983. Most of these went to support Cov's opponents but i think most have now switched to supporting Coventry. There has been talk of a Leicester revival soon so these people may have a decision to make.

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

May 26, 2008, 9:49 AM

Post #29 of 42 (4899 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or

When I used to watch Oxford in the "halcyon days of Hans" the two big meetings were always Swindon and Coventry. The meetings between Oxford and those two teams went back many years. Cradley was always a big event, but Reading though more local did not have the rivalary. It was always the same in football a game against the Villa or the Blues was looked forward to more than one against Reading. Swindon in all sports is the big local game. Swindon v Oxford in Rugby League for the first time (?) next Saturday !.

Hoppy
Reserve Team Sub

May 26, 2008, 9:51 AM

Team(s): Man City,Oldham Ath, Runcorn, South liverpool now non league traveller.

Post #30 of 42 (4899 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We have some friends who once watched Leicester but now Coventry although as you say there are talks of Leicester and maybe Long Eaton reopening and its the same with Ellesmere Port, the Stadium is lying idle and they don't even have football or greyhounds, its just a minority of local residents who are against it and its only two hours once a week.
I followed Belle Vue from 61 to 70 then moved to Liverpool when I met the wife and and had children but in 79 I took them to E/Port for a 4TT with B/Vue, Wolves and Cradley and they were hooked after seeing Collins,The Mortons,Penhall,Schwartz,Jackson, Carr, it was probably one of the biggest crowds I saw at Thornton Road.
I live one mile away from the old Liverpool track at Stanley although it closed in 1960 but there are fans who went there and said they got good crowds and also had rugby league and greyhounds.

acmold

May 26, 2008, 9:55 AM

Post #31 of 42 (4897 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hoppy] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Collins,The Mortons,Penhall,Schwartz,Jackson, Carr.

Now we are talking about speedway riders.

John Jackson always had a full infilled back wheel ?.

I remember Bruce Penhall doing an passing movement at Oxford that seemed out of this world.

Hoppy
Reserve Team Sub

May 26, 2008, 10:10 AM

Post #32 of 42 (4895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Its a shame about Oxford Speedway at the moment.
They have some good supporters who have organised the club themselves but it seems bad management is the problem.
Its like the football, the number of clubs that have "fallen by the wayside" and closed Bradford/Halifax, Cradley, E/Port,Hull just to name a few.
Belle Vue have finally got some organised backing including an ex rider Chris Morton so now with Crump back they will have to get a team on the track!

acmold

May 26, 2008, 2:05 PM

Post #33 of 42 (4876 views)
Shortcut

The rent was increased at Oxford by the Greyhound authority that owned the stadium, then when someone asked how much rent they wanted they said they did not want Conference racing at any price and did not really want Premier League either, they only wanted Elite League. The crowds had got so low as the team was poor and because of the high rent the admission prices were high. It was catch 22 really.

They run 6 or 7 greyhound meetings a week at Oxford and have go karts on the centre green, rumour has it if the Greyhounds ever start to lose money the Stadium would be sold for housing, shades of 1975, White City Rebels and all that.

Hoppy
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 3, 2008, 10:29 PM

Post #34 of 42 (4459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

South Liverpools ground is a mile away from the Liverpool Cricket Club on Aigburth Road.
Would you consider going to "South" in between the cricket?

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 4, 2008, 6:59 AM

Team(s):

Post #35 of 42 (4445 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hoppy] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is that South Liverpool cricket or football, visited old football ground which suffered badly from vandalism.

Incidentally both Hastings May 26 & Glasgow Titwood May 28 that I missed were rained off without a ball bowled.

I wonder if any cricket hoppers were frustrated by that?

HI-HI
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 4, 2008, 10:21 AM

Post #36 of 42 (4430 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Incidentally both Hastings May 26 & Glasgow Titwood May 28 that I missed were rained off without a ball bowled.

I wonder if any cricket hoppers were frustrated by that?

Frustrated is one of the words that springs to mind. Was looking forward to a day at Titwood, a ground I've managed single figures on more than once. Monday was a gloriously sunny day, Tuesday was dry, Thursday was a gloriously sunny day. Wednesday 28th, it widdled down all day.
Don't plan your life round cricket! Next at Titwood (other than Clydesdale) is a 4 day game against Kenya in August; there are then 2 ODIs at Ayr the week after.

At least I had a pleasant evening at Hamilton Park, Girvan watching the home side clinch promotion by beating Lugar Boswell Thistle 4-1.

John Treleven

Jun 4, 2008, 10:36 AM

Team(s):

Post #37 of 42 (4428 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HI-HI] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We had it pretty wet in Jersey for World Division 5 last week, luckily most of it during the nights

Delayed starts for a couple of days but after the third successive night of an inch of rain or more the grounds could take no more on the Wednesday

Managed to get back on track on last three days and had c1,000 watching final as Jersey met Afghanistan.

Low scoring thriller with only two runs an over. Jersey 80 all out had Afghanistan at 42-7 but no. 9 clubbed 2x4 and 2x6 to win it by 2 wickets.

Both teams off to Tanzania for Div 4 in early October

Hoppy
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 7, 2008, 9:52 AM

Post #38 of 42 (4360 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No, they now play at Jerico Lane about half a mile from Liverpool CC on the same side of Aigburth Road going towards The City Centre.
"Souths" old ground is now a transport complex Liverpool South Parkway, trains to East/West and South and buses from the South End, including from the Airport to the City Centre and also Speke.
Allerton Station is now included in the complex and Garston has moved to the complex where "Souths" main seated stand stood!
There is a plaque in the complex with details of South Liverpool Football club.

Hoppy
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 7, 2008, 9:56 AM

Post #39 of 42 (4359 views)
Shortcut

Did they play cricket on the inner field where Crewe Kings Speedway raced at Earle Street as I seem to remember it belonged to The Railway?

buncranaboy

Jun 15, 2008, 2:58 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #40 of 42 (4247 views)
Shortcut

In the absence of any sensible football within hundreds of miles, lastnight saw a visit to Loomer Road to see Stoke 49 Glasgow 43.
Admission with programme 13. Est attendance 700.
Nowhere near as bad as I'd been led to believe though all Loomer Road's facilities are located along one side of the stadium which is to be found at the end of a road in an industrial estate in Chesterton,Newcastle-under-Lyme. Food was acceptable, the bar did a brisk trade and viewing either from the lounge inside the stand or on the terraces outside was ideal. And the racing wasn't bad either as what had early-on looked like a home walkover became quite close toward the end. A goodly number of Polish spectators - only to be expected in these parts I expect. And also good to see the Rat hard at work earning his crust !
Very enjoyable.

sonofhod
Deleted

Jun 15, 2008, 3:09 PM

Team(s):

Post #41 of 42 (4243 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Did they play cricket on the inner field where Crewe Kings Speedway raced at Earle Street as I seem to remember it belonged to The Railway?

Yes they did play cricket on the inner field at Earle Street. Remember as a kid seeing both Gary Sobers and Wes Hall playing there. In fact remember a bouncer from Wes going for 6 byes !

Hoppy
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 15, 2008, 7:59 PM

Post #42 of 42 (4223 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sonofhod] Cricket Grounds and Speedway Tracks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Visited Earle Street for a Stock Car meeting before it closed, never got to see Speedway but it was one of the biggest tracks in the world.
Good to see you got to a Speedway meeting Paddy, haven't been to Loomer Road for three seasons, they had a fire in the social club pre season but must be okay now,
My first visit in 79 they had plastic bath tubs turned upside down below the grassy banking to act as seats!
I didn't realise Rats was a footy fan?
I once saw him at St Helens [email protected] Knowsley Road and he told me he travels all over the world watching both sports!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3