visit long lost grounds

or what?

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

Apr 15, 2011, 8:58 AM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #2 of 7 (2719 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] Travelling back in time . . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd do a lot of things(!), but would have loved to have seen Grimsby's Clee and Abbey Park Stadiums for some very early FL games. I'd probably also get the first ever GY programme, put it in a box, and never look at it again! Tongue

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

jimmyjazz
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 17, 2011, 7:40 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 7 (2571 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] Travelling back in time . . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

All of those things and more. And I'd make sure I ticked off the old Nuneaton Borough ground. Mad

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Apr 19, 2011, 10:05 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #4 of 7 (2441 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimmyjazz] Travelling back in time . . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd make damn sure I had a copy of the next day's paper with racing results, winning lottery numbers & co...

More to the point, I'd love to have been older than 8 years old when England won the World Cup (much of it passed me by... and I thought we'd always win it in the future). Certainly would have moved heaven and earth for tickets to the England matches (and with my winnings on the horses from next-day's papers, would have been easy to throw the required money at the problem).

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 19, 2011, 11:39 PM

Team(s): None

Post #5 of 7 (2425 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Travelling back in time . . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd travel back in time to Old Trafford in May 1974.
Manchester United 0 Manchester City 1 (Denis Law).
United relegated.
Happy days.Smile

jrev61

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 20, 2011, 12:45 AM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #6 of 7 (2419 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Travelling back in time . . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Make sure I was in the crowd at Anfield for the title decider in 1989. Happy Happy Days.

For the youngsters not in the know, Arsenal had to win the game by two clear goals to win the Title. Anything less, leaders Liverpool would be Champions. Liverpool hadn't lost at home by two clear goals for three years. Arsenal hadn't won there in fifteen. More history can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/...al_%2826_May_1989%29

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 20, 2011, 1:50 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2357 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Travelling back in time . . . [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It is officially the closest title race ever, as it was decided on goals scored, not even goal difference.

My favourite part (apart from Mickey's last minute goal) was when the first one went in and Liverpool were claiming it hadn't been touched by Alan Smith. The free-kick for the cross was indirect so it would've meant it wasn't a goal. There is a wonderful shot of the ref talking to the linesman with three Liverpool players looking on intently with tiny little 1980s shorts making a lovely contrast to their incredibly serious looking faces :)

ps. good to note that they looked on intently, several yards back from the officials with hands on hips quietly waiting for the outcome of the decision. If it were the Man Utd team of today you'd have several of them just inches from the officials' faces baracking them with Rooney spitting fury while the officials kept backing off until they were nearly in the crowd.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3