international matches you have been to

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 1, 2011, 11:13 AM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #26 of 34 (3396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] international matches you have been to [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just a couple of World Cup 2006 qualifiers for me
  • Italy 2-0 Scotland in the San Siro, and
  • Scotland 1-1 Italy in the return game at Hampden.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 1, 2011, 11:20 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #27 of 34 (3393 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] international matches you have been to [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In 2004:

England v Iceland @ Manchester City
Wales v Canada @ Wrexham

AnotherGlassboy
First Team Sub

Apr 4, 2011, 9:14 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC

Post #28 of 34 (3299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] international matches you have been to [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Only two senior internationals

1990 England 2 Poland 0 (in the post-Italia '90 euphoria)
1992 England 2 France 0 (in the pre-Sweden '92 euphoria - ah well... the night Geoff Thomas narrowly failed to hit the corner flag, and Shearer and David Hurst played 45 minutes each on debut. Personally I was very much a "Hirst" man - I like to think of it as my "Betamax" moment!)

Women's international

2010 England 3 Turkey 0 (at Bescot)

Plus...

A couple of England v Wales semi-pro games in the 80s (at Kiddy and Merthyr)
A couple of schoolboy internationals at Wembley in the 80s
And two matches in the Island Games on the Isle of Wight in 1993 - at Shanklin (or maybe Sandown...) and Brading.

ciderjon
First Team Star

Apr 4, 2011, 11:04 PM

Team(s):

Post #29 of 34 (3283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AnotherGlassboy] international matches you have been to [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Never been a great attendee of Internationals, actually been to far more Rugby League , and a few more Rugby Union ,Internationals than football ones.

Did start off with a trio of Honduras games (vs El Salvador, yes THAT one,vs Costa Rica and vs Yugoslavia.) Pottered off round another 50-odd countries but
Didn't see another World Cup Qual game for 40 years.....

Sprinkle on a handful of Wales games, usually in Cardiff ,against interesting opposition ...Azerbaijan ,Leichtenstein, Slovakia....

Couple of U21, one England vs Iceland (must have been a Thursday),one Wales vs Luxembourg (recently with half the posters of this forum).

Schoolboys, Wales vs Australia even an England ladies International vs Slovenia.

It's not many really, in 6 decades of football watching, far more interested in club sides. Never been to a full England International, hardly surprising though...I'm not English.

Last new Belgian beer: Lupulus (formerly Trois Fourquets) Triple 8.5% bc (808)

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Apr 5, 2011, 2:05 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #30 of 34 (3240 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ciderjon] international matches you have been to [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Never been a great attendee of Internationals, actually been to far more Rugby League , and a few more Rugby Union ,Internationals than football ones.

Much the same myself, never been to a football international (at ANY level, as far as I can remember) but lost count of the RL internationals I've been to at a variety of levels. Only been abroad for one of them though which was the France vs England friendly at Stade Francais in 2009. Think I must hold the record for the shortest journey for an international fixture as well, with the whole 1.1 miles I travelled from my house to the England vs France full international and England vs Australia academy international at Leigh last year!

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Apr 5, 2011, 5:55 PM

Team(s): Darlingto

Post #31 of 34 (3225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ciderjon] international matches you have been to [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Did start off with a trio of Honduras games (vs El Salvador, yes THAT one,vs Costa Rica and vs Yugoslavia.) Pottered off round another 50-odd countries but
Didn't see another World Cup Qual game for 40 years.....

Sprinkle on a handful of Wales games, usually in Cardiff ,against interesting opposition ...Azerbaijan ,Leichtenstein, Slovakia....

Couple of U21, one England vs Iceland (must have been a Thursday),one Wales vs Luxembourg (recently with half the posters of this forum).

Schoolboys, Wales vs Australia even an England ladies International vs Slovenia.

It's not many really, in 6 decades of football watching, far more interested in club sides. Never been to a full England International, hardly surprising though...I'm not English.

Wast the game that sparked a War

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

ciderjon
First Team Star

Apr 5, 2011, 10:51 PM

Team(s):

Post #32 of 34 (3209 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] international matches you have been to [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Did start off with a trio of Honduras games (vs El Salvador, yes THAT one,vs Costa Rica and vs Yugoslavia.)

Sort of. Tension had been running high for ages between the two countries. Honduras had a very low population ( about 1.5 million at the time but that's off the top of my head without checking) and plenty of land, much of the best along the El Salvador border. El Salvador was the opposite, larger population crammed into a small country, bursting at the seams. Squatters had been moving across the border for years. Eventually reached eruption point. This is a simplification,but there was real hatred between the peoples. We called them 'guanacos' or 'pepiles', they were responsible for every crime in Tegucigalpa. Obviously. By contrast we were 'catrachos' and 'no pasaran' as the patriotic car stickers said. Mind you I think they nicked that slogan from the Spanish Civil War.

Both countries football crazy, the three games against El Salvador were just the tabloid take on the ensuing war. Still got the patriotic car stickers.

I have read, much later, that fighting broke out in the game I attended, but it's not how I remember it. There again when not in Honduras I was watching (mainly) English first division at the time (1968/69) and fights there broke out in every game, or so I remember it. Just went home after the game-- (lived within walking distance of the stadium in the rough side of town down in Comayaguela, where today's Lonely Planet guide tells you not to go......)but I read now of massive disturbances in the centre of Tegucigalpa that night. Didn't notice.

My big football memories here were the sliced green mangoes, laced with salt and chilli sauce that we ate at the games, usually washed down with some very synthetic minerals ( brought to your seat to the cry of 'Freco'). Did the main stadium in Tegucigalpa quite a few times, apart from these internationals I used to watch Motagua fairly regularly, remember some great derby games against Olimpia, catch up with them sometimes today on their website; but it's the mangoes I miss most!

The mid-sixties were lawless times in these countries , when outside the capital my father carried a handgun at all times, I was just a teenager who wore a hat. A really big hat.

Last new Belgian beer: Lupulus (formerly Trois Fourquets) Triple 8.5% bc (808)

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 6, 2011, 10:41 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #33 of 34 (3167 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] international matches you have been to [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Think I must hold the record for the shortest journey for an international fixture as well, with the whole 1.1 miles I travelled from my house to the England vs France full international and England vs Australia academy international at Leigh last year!

357 yards for England v Slovakia U-19 at Gresty Road.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 35 / 30/ 5/ inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 11 / 08 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-3-2)/ Lux = 0-3 / Neth = 0-0-0-(2 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-3/ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-1.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Apr 13, 2011, 7:42 AM

Team(s): Darlingto

Post #34 of 34 (2951 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Did start off with a trio of Honduras games (vs El Salvador, yes THAT one,vs Costa Rica and vs Yugoslavia.)

Sort of. Tension had been running high for ages between the two countries. Honduras had a very low population ( about 1.5 million at the time but that's off the top of my head without checking) and plenty of land, much of the best along the El Salvador border. El Salvador was the opposite, larger population crammed into a small country, bursting at the seams. Squatters had been moving across the border for years. Eventually reached eruption point. This is a simplification,but there was real hatred between the peoples. We called them 'guanacos' or 'pepiles', they were responsible for every crime in Tegucigalpa. Obviously. By contrast we were 'catrachos' and 'no pasaran' as the patriotic car stickers said. Mind you I think they nicked that slogan from the Spanish Civil War.

Both countries football crazy, the three games against El Salvador were just the tabloid take on the ensuing war. Still got the patriotic car stickers.

I have read, much later, that fighting broke out in the game I attended, but it's not how I remember it. There again when not in Honduras I was watching (mainly) English first division at the time (1968/69) and fights there broke out in every game, or so I remember it. Just went home after the game-- (lived within walking distance of the stadium in the rough side of town down in Comayaguela, where today's Lonely Planet guide tells you not to go......)but I read now of massive disturbances in the centre of Tegucigalpa that night. Didn't notice.

My big football memories here were the sliced green mangoes, laced with salt and chilli sauce that we ate at the games, usually washed down with some very synthetic minerals ( brought to your seat to the cry of 'Freco'). Did the main stadium in Tegucigalpa quite a few times, apart from these internationals I used to watch Motagua fairly regularly, remember some great derby games against Olimpia, catch up with them sometimes today on their website; but it's the mangoes I miss most!

The mid-sixties were lawless times in these countries , when outside the capital my father carried a handgun at all times, I was just a teenager who wore a hat. A really big hat.

From what I hav gathered then, that war was caused by a series of events and an International Qualifier was the final circumstance so to speak, until I read about it recently I did not realise it only lasted a few days, it was about 1 hour shorter than the Desert Storm Ground Attack in 1991

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3