Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
GB2012 Olympic Football Team(It's getting silly now)

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Mar 14, 2011, 5:09 PM

Team(s): Darlingto

Post #1 of 25 (6809 views)
Shortcut
GB2012 Olympic Football Team(It's getting silly now) Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm not sure what most peoples opinions on a Team GB Football Squad is, I like the idea, but to get each FA singing off the same hymn is seeming to be impossible and it looks likely it is going to be an England team to represent us in football, at the end of the day, I do not mind this, if that is the final decision, then fair enough, I will accept that, but other Home Nations players should be allowed and welcomed into the setup if they so wish, 2 names mentioned already is Craig Gordon and Gareth Bale, I don't think either of them will be adding Poland or Ukraine to there 2012 travel plans, especially Bale

At the end of the day would it be fair for the FAW to say no to Gareth Bale with further sanctions if he did play for GB, same with Craig Gordon and the SFA, not in my opinion.

Looking through some newsfeeds on my phone I came across a couple of links

http://news.sky.com/...Olympic_Football_Row

Gordon Taylor is trying to resolve the issue with the different FA's and according to the FAW President this is no longer about Wales' individual membership of FIFA, it is now about Wales wanting there own Olympic Team, I am not really sure what they would need to do for that, but I guess Full Independence from Great Britain is the starting point, same with Scotland and Northern Ireland, I would imagine.

Another link I found from a recent Daily Mail article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1365625/NICK-HARRIS-Gareth-Bales-Olympics-dream-boosted-legal-fight.html

It seems as if two Female Scottish are prepared to take legal action, which if they won, would also help the case for the likes of Gareth Bale and Craig Gordon, I have always maintained I would like to see a GB Team playing football at the Olympics, with the mutts nuts of young British players, I really do not understand peoples problems with Team GB Football.

If the Germans could put together a combined team in 1956, 1960, 1964

http://en.wikipedia.org/...fied_Team_of_Germany

I'm not sure about the Koreans, but the transition period after the Berlin Wall came down, The Eastern European Former Soviet Nations combined in both the Winter and Summer Olympics in that year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Team

If that lot can figure out a compromise then The FA, SFA, IFA, FAW can sort something out

I really do not see a problem with a Combined Team getting together every 4 years, in the same way the Lions do it in Rugby, and while the Olympics are here, I would have the GB Team playing at Different National Stadiums, Wembley, Hampden Park and The Millennium Stadium, although I am not sure on the state of Windsor Park, as I ain't been to Belfast for about 2.5 years now.

I am probably in a minority with my view on things, what does others think

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 14, 2011, 6:30 PM

Post #2 of 25 (6800 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] GB2012 Olympic Football Team(It's getting silly now) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm quite undecided on the issue. As I understand it, the problem that is mentioned most often is that fielding a combined side would be a threat to the footballing independence of the home nations. I don't know how true this really is, but if I were asked to make the decision myself with that in mind I don't think I'd consider it worth the risk.

The other issue for me is the football tournament in general. I have a somewhat 'traditional' view that the Olympic tournament should be the pinnacle in any sport. When football has so many more important tournaments going on I think it should make way for something which needs the exposure more.

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Mar 14, 2011, 7:08 PM

Post #3 of 25 (6791 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] GB2012 Olympic Football Team(It's getting silly now) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I'm quite undecided on the issue. As I understand it, the problem that is mentioned most often is that fielding a combined side would be a threat to the footballing independence of the home nations. I don't know how true this really is, but if I were asked to make the decision myself with that in mind I don't think I'd consider it worth the risk.

The other issue for me is the football tournament in general. I have a somewhat 'traditional' view that the Olympic tournament should be the pinnacle in any sport. When football has so many more important tournaments going on I think it should make way for something which needs the exposure more.

Do you mean take Football off the Olympics, I mean wasn't the Olympics Football Tournament the catalyst to the World Cup.

As for Home Nations Footballing Independece, didn't Sepp Blatter once say that would not be threatened, saying that, this is Sepp Blatter we are talking about, I would not trust that man as far as I could spit, as for what the Sky News report said, it is not about a combined team anymore, it is about Wales wanting there own Olympic Team, I'm still quite fond of the idea, but your right in saying it is not worth the risk

Mista Fozz

My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

PaulC

Mar 14, 2011, 7:15 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #4 of 25 (6784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] GB2012 Olympic Football Team(It's getting silly now) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The response of the UK FAs which are not the English FA are perfectly understandable.

Many national FAs, particularly those from former British colonies are keen to see UK representation reduced to one team rather than four.

A combined UK team for the Olympics gives them ammunition for advancing their case.

It's no big deal for England. Because of England's population you would expect on average 9 or 10 of a UK 11 to be English. Internationals will undoubtedly be played at Wembley.

England has very little to lose. The rest of the UK has plenty to lose.

cope1

Mar 14, 2011, 7:18 PM

Post #5 of 25 (6784 views)
Shortcut

What I mean is, I don't think the Olympics needs football, and I don't think football needs the Olympics. We have a World Cup, and we also have myriad youth tournaments. If it were a tournament involving amateur players or even semi-pro (say, England 'C' equivalent) I'd be interested because there doesn't exist a FIFA equivalent at that level, but I just don't think iti has a niche.

As for the threat to independence, I don't really believe there is one but no, I wouldn't take much notice of what Blatter says. I just can't see who would have that much incentive to want the home nations merged. The history that grew up around them is something that I think the footballing world appreciates, however mercenary some of the people in it may seem, and I don't think anything more than a tiny handful of football people around the world would really want to do away with that all for reduce their potential rivals by 3 (when 2 of the 4 pretty well never qualify for major tournos, and 1 usually doesn't*).

* the less said about the final 1 of the 4 the better... Crazy

cope1

Mar 14, 2011, 7:20 PM

Post #6 of 25 (6782 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] GB2012 Olympic Football Team(It's getting silly now) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The response of the UK FAs which are not the English FA are perfectly understandable.

Many national FAs, particularly those from former British colonies are keen to see UK representation reduced to one team rather than four.

A combined UK team for the Olympics gives them ammunition for advancing their case.

It's no big deal for England. Because of England's population you would expect on average 9 or 10 of a UK 11 to be English. Internationals will undoubtedly be played at Wembley.

England has very little to lose. The rest of the UK has plenty to lose.

I just don't think this is the case. I know it gets reported but I've only ever seen (very) infrequent suggestions by individuals, which seem to go away pretty quickly. I haven't seen any indication of sustained campaign. Why would former colonies want that?

PaulC

Mar 14, 2011, 7:50 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #7 of 25 (6773 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] GB2012 Olympic Football Team(It's getting silly now) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The other three home nations have no objection to England representing the UK in the Olympics. Why can't it be left at that? There is nothing in it for the other three home nations. Why should they run the risk of antagonising those FAs who would like to see a diminution of UK power in world football? After all, it is hard to justify the UK FAs having 4 of the 8 seats on the International Board.

(This post was edited by PaulC on Mar 14, 2011, 8:54 PM)

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Mar 14, 2011, 9:33 PM

Post #8 of 25 (6747 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] GB2012 Olympic Football Team(It's getting silly now) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There is the traditionalist in me that doesn't want it, but there is also a part of me wanting something else for a change, it is one of those arguments never get anywhere and go round in circles without finding a solution, like I have already stated, I would be happy to watch it every 4 years, but then there is the problem of keeping 3 other sets of supporters happy, and a United Kingdom Team based at Wembley would not go down very well with our friends in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland...

After 2012, I still maintain, I don't and won't have a problem with it, but I wouldn't ever want it at the expense of the other FA's.

We are damned if we do, damned if we don't.

How does the International Board work anyway, never done much research on it, if the UK has 50% of the votes in decision making, does anybody have a deciding vote, or is it simply if the UK don't agree with things, then our Home Nations can veto it

Mista Fozz

My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

dottirofhod

Mar 14, 2011, 9:38 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #9 of 25 (6744 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
How does the International Board work anyway, never done much research on it, if the UK has 50% of the votes in decision making, does anybody have a deciding vote, or is it simply if the UK don't agree with things, then our Home Nations can veto it

From Wiki-
Operations
IFAB is made up of representatives from each of the United Kingdom's pioneering football associations—England's Football Association (The FA), the Scottish Football Association (SFA), the Football Association of Wales (FAW) and Northern Ireland's Irish Football Association (IFA)—and Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), the international governing body for football. Each UK association has one vote and FIFA has four. IFAB deliberations must be approved by three-quarters of the vote, which translates to at least six votes. Thus, FIFA's approval is necessary for any IFAB decision, but FIFA alone cannot change the Laws of the Game—they need to be agreed by at least two of the UK members. There is also a quorum requirement that at least four of the five member associations, one of which must be FIFA, have to be present for a meeting to proceed.
The Board meets twice a year, once to decide on possible changes to the rules governing the game of Football and once to deliberate on its internal affairs. The first meeting is called the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and the second is the Annual Business Meeting (ABM). Four weeks before the AGM, the member associations must send their written proposals to the secretary of the host association. FIFA then prints a list of suggestions that are distributed to all other associations for examination. The AGM is held either in February or March and the ABM is held between September and October.[2]
The decisions of each year's Annual General Meeting of the Board regarding changes to the Laws of the Game are binding for confederations and member associations as from 1 July but confederations or member associations whose current season has not ended by 1 July may delay the introduction of the adopted alterations to the Laws of the Game in their competitions until the beginning of their next season.[3]

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Mar 14, 2011, 10:02 PM

Post #10 of 25 (6736 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] GB2012 Olympic Football Team(It's getting silly now) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks dottirofhod, so they are the body that effectively write the international rule book then

Mista Fozz

My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 14, 2011, 11:23 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #11 of 25 (6718 views)
Shortcut

Tickets go on sale from tomorrow until 26 April.

http://www.tickets.london2012.com/

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

cope1

Mar 15, 2011, 8:33 PM

Post #12 of 25 (6625 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The other three home nations have no objection to England representing the UK in the Olympics. Why can't it be left at that? There is nothing in it for the other three home nations. Why should they run the risk of antagonising those FAs who would like to see a diminution of UK power in world football? After all, it is hard to justify the UK FAs having 4 of the 8 seats on the International Board.

I can't believe this is still the case - it's ridiculous*. As far as I understand, IFAB answers to FIFA who also hold the other 4 seats. Why isn't it just absorbed into FIFA? It would make more sense for the six continental confedrations to have seats.

* the one saving grace is that when people moan about the game being run by foreigners I can still point out that half those making the rules are British :)

Degerloch
Youth Team Star

Mar 16, 2011, 9:39 AM

Post #13 of 25 (6583 views)
Shortcut

A lesson from cross-country history

http://www.heraldscotland.com/...ther-thing-1.1090612

acmold

Mar 16, 2011, 10:10 AM

Post #14 of 25 (6578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] GB2012 Olympic Football Team(It's getting silly now) [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

I can't believe this is still the case - it's ridiculous*. As far as I understand, IFAB answers to FIFA who also hold the other 4 seats. Why isn't it just absorbed into FIFA? It would make more sense for the six continental confedrations to have seats.

* the one saving grace is that when people moan about the game being run by foreigners I can still point out that half those making the rules are British :)

You could look at it the other way round, if there were not 4 British seats on it what other laws would have been changed by now.

Would we even have an 11 a-side games with two 45 minute periods.

Degerloch
Youth Team Star

Mar 16, 2011, 2:26 PM

Post #15 of 25 (6549 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] GB2012 Olympic Football Team(It's getting silly now) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

You could look at it the other way round, if there were not 4 British seats on it what other laws would have been changed by now.

If you recall the build up to USA '94, you will remember that the US football association tried to table a motion to move from two halves to four quarters. US advertisers were unhappy at the prospect of having a whole 45 minute period without the chance to flog their goods.
FIFA set up a committee to investigate. Not sure if they've reported back yet.

cope1

Mar 16, 2011, 3:01 PM

Post #16 of 25 (6542 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] GB2012 Olympic Football Team(It's getting silly now) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

You could, but I think you'd be taking a paranoid view. I think the UK is more like the US in its views on sponsorship and generally 'promoting' the game than most countries.

Isaac

Mar 18, 2011, 4:41 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #17 of 25 (6439 views)
Shortcut

Apparently Blackpool manager Ian Holloway has made it clear that none of his players will be taking part in the Olympic football tournament........................would they have been otherwise I wonder?

(This post was edited by Isaac on Mar 18, 2011, 5:24 PM)

cope1

Mar 18, 2011, 9:20 PM

Post #18 of 25 (6403 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] GB2012 Olympic Football Team(It's getting silly now) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Apparently Blackpool manager Ian Holloway has made it clear that none of his players will be taking part in the Olympic football tournament........................would they have been otherwise I wonder?

Does that mean he has asked them and they have said they won't take part, or that he won't allow it? I don't suppose he has any say if they choose to but I sympathise. The clubs pay the wages and while it is reasonable to expect the players to be allowed to play for their countries for meaningful (go on, someone pull me up on that! ;) ) tournaments, the Olympics is one I can imagine is a hard pill to swallow.

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Mar 18, 2011, 9:46 PM

Post #19 of 25 (6394 views)
Shortcut

meaningless, how so cope, the olympics is one of the biggest events in history.

how would it not benefit the others, it would give young players a crack at an international level tournament

Mista Fozz

My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

cope1

Mar 18, 2011, 11:27 PM

Post #20 of 25 (6380 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
meaningless, how so cope, the olympics is one of the biggest events in history.

how would it not benefit the others, it would give young players a crack at an international level tournament

meaningless because the football tournament is just one more youth tournament. These are already provided by FIFA and continental confederations.

I'm not sure what the benefiting others bit is about although the point about a crack at international level tournament should be covered by above.

My problem with the Olympics is, as I say, it simply repeats what's already there. Fair enough to have one more football tournament but to ask clubs to release players for it is unreasonable.

(This post was edited by cope1 on Mar 18, 2011, 11:30 PM)

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Mar 19, 2011, 12:37 AM

Post #21 of 25 (6362 views)
Shortcut

So basically your saying because UEFA/FIFA organise Youth Tourneys that renders the Olympics Football Tournament as not needed, as for Home Nations do they always qualify for Underage Tourneys.

basically then it would be better to either go back to the spirit of the olympics and make it semi pro or amateur, which would probably not appeal or simply scrap it

Mista Fozz

My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

cope1

Mar 20, 2011, 11:42 AM

Post #22 of 25 (6271 views)
Shortcut

That's basically it. I think that the tournament in its current form is just one more youth tournament. As there are a series of them at different age groups run by FIFA it would be silly to cancel those in favour of the olympic tournament which, after all is barely a youth tournament anyway (the Arsenal 1st team average age is often about 23 so having a under-23 age group seems, to me, a bit pointless. Reminds me of there being an under-27 competition in cricket a while back...) so if one or t'other must go it would be the olympics in my view.

If it were to be returned to amateur status (or something like it) then I would be more interested, as that isn't covered by any other tournaments. The UEFA Regions Cup covers Europe, but only Europe. I like that competition as it is amateur footballers from all over Europe pitting themselves against one another and I'd love to see an olympic tournament run on those lines.

As for whether the home nations qualify, does that make a difference? Surely the merit of the tournament is not affected by that. Of course, as they all enter the Regions Cup it would be interesting to see a home nations tournament at that level, perhaps with Eire in as well. But then, knowing how much the NLS Cup eats into the SAL schedule already, I can't imagine when it would be played.

(This post was edited by cope1 on Mar 20, 2011, 11:44 AM)

KnowYourMarket

Mar 25, 2011, 12:35 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #23 of 25 (6113 views)
Shortcut

We're only entering a team because it's in our own backyard, we don't normally bother so why now and harrass other nations and make an issue of it? Will we be entering a team in the following Olympics?

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 25, 2011, 1:26 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #24 of 25 (6103 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] GB2012 Olympic Football Team(It's getting silly now) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Who cares ?

forestman
Youth Team Star

Apr 29, 2011, 7:26 AM

Post #25 of 25 (5490 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] GB2012 Olympic Football Team(It's getting silly now) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There is and always has been a simple solution to the problem of having a GB team in the Olympics, which those in power have always missed, simply because of the "we want to retain our individual national identity argument". Retain national identity by all means but simply have a four team tournament, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland with the winners representing GB. Or am i just making things too simple for the powers that be.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3