Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Rained off games: not in Brazil

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Mar 3, 2011, 9:58 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2412 views)
Shortcut
Rained off games: not in Brazil Can't Post or Reply Privately

An interruption for rain, before the game resumed...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...tin-america-12634475

English refs please take note!!!

AndyE
First Team Star

Mar 6, 2011, 1:27 PM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #2 of 6 (2293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Rained off games: not in Brazil [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ooh, now then. It's not usual in football for a game to take a rain break and then continue when the rain stopped, but I remember it happening once in the late 70s, and getting a mention on Sport On 2. It was a game in the old First Division; I think it was early in the season and may have been at Ipswich. Anyway, there was a thunderstorm so the referee took the players inside for fifteen minutes or so and then continued with the game.

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 6, 2011, 5:21 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #3 of 6 (2278 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Rained off games: not in Brazil [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I remember a Northwood youth game against Wokingham (& Embrook?) being delayed for thunder & lightning with heavy hailstones. The Wokingham lot told us they went through the storm as they passed the airport and had hoped it wasn't heading in our direction.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

mip
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 6, 2011, 9:49 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth, OB, Svendborg fB, Tved B

Post #4 of 6 (2246 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Rained off games: not in Brazil [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Ooh, now then. It's not usual in football for a game to take a rain break and then continue when the rain stopped, but I remember it happening once in the late 70s, and getting a mention on Sport On 2. It was a game in the old First Division; I think it was early in the season and may have been at Ipswich. Anyway, there was a thunderstorm so the referee took the players inside for fifteen minutes or so and then continued with the game.

I think it was Pompey v Ipswich at Fratton Park. I can't remember the year but probably late 80s, Ipswich won 3-2.

chris41
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 9, 2011, 2:08 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2126 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Yes that one rang a bell with me. It was Ipswich v Arsenal opening day of the 77-78 season exactly detailed as you state when ref took players of the pitch in 2nd half for 15 minutes or so. A very rare instance though.

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 17, 2011, 6:20 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #6 of 6 (1911 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Rained off games: not in Brazil [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
An interruption for rain, before the game resumed...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...tin-america-12634475

English refs please take note!!!

Elsewhere in Brazil they don't even bother with the interruption.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/article/39500/

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3