Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Dropped Ball

Veteran
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 10, 2011, 12:09 AM

Post #1 of 2 (1574 views)
Shortcut
Dropped Ball Can't Post or

Amazingly on two consecutive nights I have seen "contested" drop balls, in both cases in similar circumstances. The referee stopped play with the attacking side in possession in the final third of the pitch and they appeared to actually OPT for a contested drop ball rather than receive possession back , no doubt deep into their own half.

Contested drop balls are now so rare, with various alternative scenarios all involving "giving the ball back" and with some spectacular disputes as a result (ask Droylsden), that I just wonder whether there should be a change in the Laws simply to allow the referee to restore possession to the side which had it before the stoppage ?

The other answer of course is to reduce the number of occasions when play is stopped for an (often apparent) injury ....

sjj2112
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 10, 2011, 12:25 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alexandra, Nantwich Town, Ashford Town (Middx), Venezia

Post #2 of 2 (1531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] Dropped Ball [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was equally amazed at Mangotsfield on Monday night when I witnessed not 1 but 2 contested dropped balls in the same match. The first was similar to your situation when a Mangotsfield attack deep in the opposition half was halted due to a head injury received by a Hungerford player. They took the contested ball option rather than let Hungerford hoof the ball back to their keeper.

The second one came about in even more unusual circumstances. Two players went for the same ball, with the ball flying off in to the distance. The referee immediately blew up and I couldn't see why as no foul had been commited. As the ball hit the ground upfield it became obvious - the contact between two players and ball had resulted in the ball losing out big time and the dull thud of the now deflated ball was greeted with a loud cheer from the crowd.

I'm a man of many anoraks.....

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3