Home Internationals

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 3, 2011, 10:08 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #26 of 34 (944 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
And here I am thinking that the behaviour of the supporters of Scotland's football team when said supporters visit the home of football was exemplary.

What happened on the last two visits then ..... or are you still dwelling in the 1970s when Wembley was generally filled with 80,000 Scots and 20,000 English?

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 3, 2011, 10:29 PM

Post #27 of 34 (939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
"In the ground maybe, but again I refer you to Manchester 2008"

What on earth do you think the connection is between Rangers supporters and those who support Scotland?

Clearly I am confused. The 100,000 people in Manchester talking with Scottish accents were obviously not Scottish at all; and the hoards on the 'Rangers end' at the Home Internationals I attended at Hampden included no Rangers fans.

PaulC

Feb 3, 2011, 10:41 PM

Post #28 of 34 (933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Clearly I am confused. The 100,000 people in Manchester talking with Scottish accents were obviously not Scottish at all; and the hoards on the 'Rangers end' at the Home Internationals I attended at Hampden included no Rangers fans.

Yes you are clearly confused.

Rangers fans are no more representative of supporters of the Scottish national team than Man Utd fans are representative of the England national team's supporters.

The Tartan Army tends to be made up of provincial football supporters - not the gloryhunters who follow Rangers or Celtic.

For your enlightenment:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/.../scotland/942807.stm

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 3, 2011, 10:51 PM

Post #29 of 34 (925 views)
Shortcut

So now you have changed from 'connection' to 'representative'.

The connection is that, despite what you say, Rangers supporters (not all of course) also support Scotland and yes I do know a number personally, as I also know Man Utd supporters who amazingly support England too.

PaulC

Feb 3, 2011, 11:10 PM

Post #30 of 34 (916 views)
Shortcut

Rangers fans make up a small proportion of Scotland fans. That's a fact. The majority of those who follow the Scottish national team are not Old Firm fans. Equating supporters of the Scottish national team with those who followed Rangers to Manchester is quite simply a nonsense.

Of course, without excusing the violence that took place in Manchester, it's interesting seeing the truth now emerging from Manchester and England.

http://menmedia.co.uk/...rning_off_big_screen

If 100,000 Man Utd fans had gathered to watch a match on a big screen in Glasgow, and the Glasgow authorities took the decision to turn off the TV just as kick-off approached do you think they would all just have merrily dispersed?

And had they not, would you therefore equate any bad behaviour which ensued with that of those who support the England national team?

There is a certain logic lacking in your argument.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 3, 2011, 11:30 PM

Post #31 of 34 (909 views)
Shortcut

That is old news and no doubt you believe what the South Yorkshire Police said about the Hillsborough disaster.

100,000 fans of whatever persuasion in a city centre anywhere is unlikely to be a calm occasion. However, as the Home Internationals are unlikely to be resurrected anyway, the people of London will be spared an invasion of of ticketless fans, as indeed will be the people of Glasgow.

Good night .... sleep well.

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Feb 4, 2011, 9:23 AM

Team(s): Darlingto

Post #32 of 34 (883 views)
Shortcut

http://news.bbc.co.uk/...football/9355809.stm

It looks like Vauxhall want it revived, I know they are sponsoring England, but are they also sponsoring any of the other Home Nations, because if that is the case, then Vauxhall pretty much hold the Ace Card.

With regards to Manchester 3 years ago, yes, it was nasty, but it ain't like it happens every week, how many English and Scottish club teams have played each other in the 20 years in the Champions League, UEFA/Europa League and Cup Winners Cup and did they all end up with major civil disorder, I don't see the Rangers fans as being representative of Scotland at all, infact, I'm wondering was each and every fan in Manchester that day were Rangers supporters, if they can call themselves that.

It is inevitable that 1000's of ticketless fans would descend on London and Glasgow, but the police will now pretty much have the upper hand, the technology available today is much better than 25 years ago

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

(This post was edited by MistaFozzII on Feb 4, 2011, 9:25 AM)

Isaac

Feb 9, 2011, 11:16 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #33 of 34 (806 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm not sure that thousands of ticketless fans would turn up in London or Glasgow if the game was live on TV and would the potential for trouble really be any greater than at a London derby or Celtic v Rangers or Cardiff v Swansea?

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 9, 2011, 12:17 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #34 of 34 (795 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm not sure that thousands of ticketless fans would turn up in London or Glasgow if the game was live on TV and would the potential for trouble really be any greater than at a London derby or Celtic v Rangers or Cardiff v Swansea?

In Glasgow, no; in London - most definitely.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3