First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Feb 2, 2011, 9:27 AM

Team(s): Darlingto

Post #1 of 34 (3039 views)
Shortcut
Home Internationals Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was talking to a couple of lads from Edinburgh at work last night, we got talking about the Carling Nations Cup and it's benefits, we got on about the old days of the Home Championship, I dont remember it myself, but we got talking about it anyway.

We both agreed that the Home Championship should be brought back in some form, so we could have a crack at each other every season instead of playing pointless friendlies, I know people would say it would get boring play the same teams every year, but I would rather see England v Scotland/Wales/N.I every year with R.O.I in there over pointless games against teams like Mexico or Egypt.

It works in Rugby Union, what is the general of others?

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 2, 2011, 10:33 AM

Post #2 of 34 (3030 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or

I went to a few at Wembley in the late 70's and early 80's, in those days they suffered with off the field problems. If we have got away from that it would be good to see them back.

dottirofhod

Feb 2, 2011, 10:49 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #3 of 34 (3029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The British Home Championships ran till 83-84 when England and Scotland decided to curtail it alegedly due to increased hooliganism/civil unrest etc.
In the final championship N.Ireland won which was quite ironic as another reason the main 2 quoted for stopping it was poor opposition and they have held the trophy since !
Indeed it was a hell of an atmosphere at the England/Scotland encounters. The Northern gents used to save up for 2 years to come to Wembley.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 35 / 30/ 5/ inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 11 / 08 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-3-2)/ Lux = 0-3 / Neth = 0-0-0-(2 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-3/ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-1.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

fredkirkbytown
Reserve Team Star

Feb 2, 2011, 12:38 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 34 (3006 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Home Championship was a great tournament.
Believe me there was nothing boring about it,i used to look
forward to it.
But then the Scots supporters got to enjoy coming down to London
and trying to smash the whole Town up.
If we could put a wall up on the border,then the tournament would
be far better then pointless fdlys.
Mind you its too late,theres thousands of the heathens here already.
I remember the reverse games up Glasgow,when a handful of
England supporters ventured up there.And after each England goal
there was silence.

Mishi

Feb 2, 2011, 2:42 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #5 of 34 (2989 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fredkirkbytown] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And when England finally turned up in numbers the jocks didn't like it...fine for them to attempt to take on everyone in London but...

If ever it's resurrected I dread to think what the policing bills will be...

Grounds visited: 741
Last new ground: Old Roan FC; John Roan Playing Fields; Kidrooke Park Road, London, SE3. (Bromley & South London Football Alliance Division One)
Last game: Tuesday 16th August 2019:Dulwich Hamlet 1, Wealdstone 0. [Vanarama National League South]
Matches watched this season: 17
2017/18-New English grounds: 3; & foreign: 0

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Feb 2, 2011, 7:44 PM

Post #6 of 34 (2944 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I would love to see the Home Championship resurrected, I mean England v Scotland, to me, is the greatest International game of all time, the very first international in history, the Home Championship being one of the first international competitions, the only memories I have of Home Nations team is England v Scotland(1996 & 1999), Northern Ireland(2005) and Wales(2004-2005). If it came back, I would love to see it as a qualifying event for the Olympics, the winner representing Britain at the games. I think a few things caused it to stop, yes, hooliganism for certain, and The Troubles in Belfast didn't help at all.

The biggest obstacle would be policing, but I'm almost certain the Police are good at how squash disorder, I saw somewhere, Scottish Police are very highly trained, one scenario they have trained round is the idea of merged leagues with England, which takes me to my next question on the Restructuring Board.

Mista Fozz

My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

(This post was edited by MistaFozzII on Feb 2, 2011, 7:46 PM)

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 2, 2011, 9:49 PM

Post #7 of 34 (2922 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
And when England finally turned up in numbers the jocks didn't like it...fine for them to attempt to take on everyone in London but...

Indeed, and I bet all you good folk in London would really enjoy a rerun of Manchester 2008.

Darren Lovell
First Team Star

Feb 2, 2011, 10:28 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #8 of 34 (2905 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I went to England vs Scotland at Wembley in 1984 and believe me it was not pleasant! Despite Scottish fans having an "end" they were everywhere in the stadium, more than likely because so many Scots actually live in England.

It was slighlty better in 2000 for the Euro Play off (I went to the game with 2 Scots from Mitcham, Surrey!) but by then policing of sporting events had become a little more sophisticated than in the early 80s.

I would like to see the Home Championships restored but unfortunately I think that the general disorder and mayhem as a result of these games would do more harm than it's worth.

Just imagine, England vs Scotland (London or Glasgow) = mayhem
Wales vs England in Cardiff = Mayhem
Northern Ireland vs England in Belfast = mayhem
Ireland (should they be invited) vs England in Dublin = mayhem.

I'm afraid we're (England) going to have to lump friendlies with Denmark and Ghana for the forseeable futire.

Grounds Visited 313
Last New Ground: Scunthorpe United
Last Game: Forest Green Rovers 1-0 Grimsby Town
EFL 2 17.08.19
Games In Season 2019-20: 13
New Grounds This Season: 1
Goals This Season: 42
Ave goals per game: 3.23

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Feb 3, 2011, 12:50 AM

Post #9 of 34 (2880 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Darren Lovell] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't recall any trouble in the 2004-06 World Cup Qualifiers when we played Wales and Northern Ireland, if there was, then a big deal was not made of it, I understand Police worries over these games, will it really be as nasty as the 70's-80's, will it ever get as serious as 1977 when the Jocks left there mark on Wembley when they invaded the pitch, todays technology and police intelligence is far superior, and for the most part, police can nip it in the bud before it gets of hand

Mista Fozz

My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 3, 2011, 11:07 AM

Post #10 of 34 (2848 views)
Shortcut

The 1969 competition (showing my age here...) was live on TV, the six matches being shared by BBC and ITV. It didn't happen again (though England v. Scotland remained live until the end), the FAs blaming the live coverage for the poor attendances. While England v. Scotland was a 100,000 sell-out (played on Saturday evening, unusual back then), the midweek game between Scotland and Northern Ireland drew only 7,000, though it was a filthy night in Glasgow.

Wales 3-5 Scotland at Wrexham was a lively affair.

garethwrexy

Feb 3, 2011, 11:11 AM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #11 of 34 (2844 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

i am for them, think they would be great for the home nation teams, police bills wont go up that much, and besides home nation teams often draw each other in the world cup and euro qualifys.

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

Tim

Feb 3, 2011, 11:28 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #12 of 34 (2839 views)
Shortcut

Slight digression. Mr T, my memory may be playing tricks, but is it true to say that the only live football we would have been able to see in 1969 was England v Scotland and the FA Cup Final?

dottirofhod

Feb 3, 2011, 11:28 AM

Post #13 of 34 (2838 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
1969. England v. Scotland was a 100,000 sell-out (played on Saturday evening, unusual back then. Wales 3-5 Scotland at Wrexham was a lively affair.

Went both those games , hadn't discovered non league football then so did not do a double with the England game.
Yes great games in those days but more trouble than there worth nowadays.Lets see how this new tournament in Dublin shapes up.Can't see England wanting to join this on a regular basis.
Yes I know I'm an old fart.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 35 / 30/ 5/ inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 11 / 08 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-3-2)/ Lux = 0-3 / Neth = 0-0-0-(2 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-3/ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-1.

Tim

Feb 3, 2011, 11:34 AM

Post #14 of 34 (2836 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I hope you bought a programme.

dottirofhod

Feb 3, 2011, 11:41 AM

Post #15 of 34 (2833 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I hope you bought a programme.

Of course I did. I didn't want either the Welsh or English F A suffering the financial problems they would have incurred if I hadn't bought one.
Think I also helped both Youngs and Border breweries with their cash flow problems.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 3, 2011, 12:27 PM

Post #16 of 34 (2825 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Slight digression. Mr T, my memory may be playing tricks, but is it true to say that the only live football we would have been able to see in 1969 was England v Scotland and the FA Cup Final?

Er, no, Tim, all the home internationals were live that year.

But in subsequent years? There was always a European club final featuring a British club, or a European Championship or World Cup match.

Tim

Feb 3, 2011, 12:45 PM

Post #17 of 34 (2818 views)
Shortcut

Sorry, mis-read your initial post.

So most years, no live football until the merry month of May. How things have changed.

acmold

Feb 3, 2011, 1:14 PM

Post #18 of 34 (2808 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or

I remember the 1977 match saw it on TV and later in the evening met some "Scottish" fans who had been at the game and on the pitch, they lived two miles away from me.

Went to a England v Scotland game, when I got home I had to bin my jeans and trainers, those were the days when you could surf down the terrace in a tide of urine.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 3, 2011, 1:44 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #19 of 34 (2799 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I remember the 1977 match saw it on TV and later in the evening met some "Scottish" fans who had been at the game and on the pitch, they lived two miles away from me.

Went to a England v Scotland game, when I got home I had to bin my jeans and trainers, those were the days when you could surf down the terrace in a tide of urine.

But now you've got a washing machine ?

PaulC

Feb 3, 2011, 7:33 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #20 of 34 (2756 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

English supporters turned up in numbers at Hampden? When was that and what didn't the Scots like about it?

You appear to live in a parallel universe, Mishi. BTW did you read the article on Andy Murray? You're not one of the 'hard of thinking' the author was describing, are you?

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 3, 2011, 8:06 PM

Post #21 of 34 (2750 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I don't recall any trouble in the 2004-06 World Cup Qualifiers when we played Wales and Northern Ireland, if there was, then a big deal was not made of it, I understand Police worries over these games, will it really be as nasty as the 70's-80's, will it ever get as serious as 1977 when the Jocks left there mark on Wembley when they invaded the pitch, todays technology and police intelligence is far superior, and for the most part, police can nip it in the bud before it gets of hand

In the ground maybe, but again I refer you to Manchester 2008.

PaulC

Feb 3, 2011, 8:53 PM

Post #22 of 34 (2740 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

"In the ground maybe, but again I refer you to Manchester 2008"

What on earth do you think the connection is between Rangers supporters and those who support Scotland?

The nonsense in this thread makes one wonder which team's supporters are reviled throughout Europe and which team's supporters are welcomed throughout Europe.

dottirofhod

Feb 3, 2011, 9:44 PM

Post #23 of 34 (2727 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It also makes one wonder should I give a feck about what a foreigner thinks about England .

PaulC

Feb 3, 2011, 9:50 PM

Post #24 of 34 (2726 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

"It also makes one wonder should I give a feck about what a foreigner thinks about England ."

I think you are confusing what foreigners think of England with what they think of the behaviour of the supporters of England's football team when said supporters visit their countries.

dottirofhod

Feb 3, 2011, 10:01 PM

Post #25 of 34 (2721 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Home Internationals [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
"It also makes one wonder should I give a feck about what a foreigner thinks about England ."

I think you are confusing what foreigners think of England with what they think of the behaviour of the supporters of England's football team when said supporters visit their countries.

And here I am thinking that the behaviour of the supporters of Scotland's football team when said supporters visit the home of football was exemplary.
No confusion here.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3