Pitches With Good Drainage

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 11, 2011, 7:29 PM

Post #1 of 69 (7038 views)
Shortcut
Pitches With Good Drainage Can't Post or Reply Privately

With all the wet weather around at the moment I thought it would be a good idea if we had a list of grounds that have good drainage and are known for beating the elements when others in the locality are called off.

I'll start off with Bradfield Rovers of the Essex & Suffolk Border League whose pitch looked good on saturday despite a lot of wet weather over the previous few days.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

VP

Jan 12, 2011, 12:12 AM

Post #2 of 69 (6972 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Camberley Town.

We hardly ever have games called off for waterlogging and the ones that are postponed or abandoned are usually down to the refs being pussys rather than proper waterlogging.
Reserve game on the pitch on Saturday, youth game on last night and reserve game tonight while loads of other games in the area have been postponed.
The only thing that stops us playing is frozen ground and that's because most refs are scared of a bit of hard ground these days.

(This post was edited by VP on Jan 12, 2011, 12:15 AM)

Veteran

Jan 12, 2011, 12:20 AM

Post #3 of 69 (6968 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or

One of the best has appropriately got to be Peasedown Athletic. Even when it does their pitch is reputedly excellent and when I went in February 2007 on a day when most of the football in the West was washed away, the lady secretary seemed surprised I was even querying if the game was on, and even in heavy rain the pitch only cut up very slightly.

Not been there yet myself, but a few years ago Spratton in the Northants Combination was a good bet on a wet day.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 12, 2011, 1:05 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #4 of 69 (6959 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Dereham Town.

Went there last season during continued extremely wet weather. Drove in a deluge all the way to Norfolk, many of Dereham town centre's drains were overflowing, the club car park was full of puddles....and the pitch was immaculate!

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 12, 2011, 9:11 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #5 of 69 (6930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
One of the best has appropriately got to be Peasedown Athletic. Even when it does their pitch is reputedly excellent and when I went in February 2007 on a day when most of the football in the West was washed away, the lady secretary seemed surprised I was even querying if the game was on, and even in heavy rain the pitch only cut up very slightly.

I'll second this one. I went to Peasedown on a dreadfully wet day but it held up well. It is apparently laid on top of shale from old mine workings. also I believe that Saltford rarely get games called off for waterlogging.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

acmold

Jan 12, 2011, 9:32 AM

Post #6 of 69 (6919 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or

Foxton, Milton, Comberton United, Brampton and Saffron Crocus all in the Cambridgeshire League are good bets on wet days.

Can also confirm I went to Spratton on a day when most games were off, Cold Ashby of the Northants Comb (not sure which division they are currently in) is also good in the wet, Spratton and Cold Ashby are quite close to each other.

Ripley in the Surrey Elite say they rarely have a game off in the wet.

I don't think Oxford United have ever had a game off for waterlogging at the Kassam Stadium.

gcnc

Jan 12, 2011, 9:33 AM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #7 of 69 (6919 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Went to Wells City on a day when most other games in the area were off, and I seem to remember one of the officials there saying that they very rarely lose games. Something to do with the structure of the soil in the area, apparently.

In South Wales, Port Talbot Town and Afan Lido generally survive, again because the housing estate where both grounds are found, Sandfields, unsurprisingly, seems to drain very well.

KnowYourMarket

Jan 12, 2011, 10:12 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #8 of 69 (6904 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Calverton Miners Welfare
Brodsworth Welfare
Beer Albion

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

dottirofhod

Jan 12, 2011, 10:40 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #9 of 69 (6890 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Calverton Miners Welfare
Brodsworth Welfare
Beer Albion

Original thread with many on from 2008

http://nonleaguematters.co.uk/...70108397a890a#140955

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 120 / 101 / 19 / 5 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 02 / 12 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-1-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

Seagull
First Team Star

Jan 12, 2011, 11:13 AM

Post #10 of 69 (6870 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Calverton Miners Welfare
Brodsworth Welfare
Beer Albion

Did Calverton is an absolute monsoon a few years ago and it was superb, drained like a culender. Clipstone was always a good bet in that area as well.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 12, 2011, 2:00 PM

Post #11 of 69 (6787 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Calverton Miners Welfare
Brodsworth Welfare
Beer Albion

Did Calverton is an absolute monsoon a few years ago and it was superb, drained like a culender. Clipstone was always a good bet in that area as well.

The Miners Welfare pitches in North Notts & Doncaster areas are often laid on mining shale (as at Peasedown) which provides excellent drainage.

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Jan 12, 2011, 2:21 PM

Post #12 of 69 (6776 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The groundsman at Newton Abbot Spurs last saturday was very proud to inform me that they rarely have games cancelled.

In the Train, the fields around and beyond Exeter were certainly holding a lot of standing water (and before some idiot with an OX postcode wants to tell me the bleedin' obvious), yes some were flood plains, doing what they are designed to do.

Hellenic_Fan
Youth Team Star

Jan 12, 2011, 5:39 PM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 69 (6722 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garrincha's dog] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Didcot Town is usually pretty good.Have been there a couple of times,when all around and about them games have been off,but they have still played.

Games attended in season 2012/13 1
Goals seen : 4
Goal Average per game : 4.00

Steelback
First Team Star

Jan 12, 2011, 6:01 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #14 of 69 (6716 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Dereham Town.

Went there last season during continued extremely wet weather. Drove in a deluge all the way to Norfolk, many of Dereham town centre's drains were overflowing, the club car park was full of puddles....and the pitch was immaculate!

I alaways thought that about Dereham Town as well but maybe it's changed as they postponed their 27 Dec game 76 hours before kick off!

Biggleswade United often play when a lot of games in the area are waterlogged as did Biggleswade Town before their move.

Thame Utd's pitch was in excellent condition last night whereas areas just behind the goal & near the lines were waterlogged & very very soggy

‘Informative’ Posts Only, by order of the Forum KGB

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 12, 2011, 6:17 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #15 of 69 (6707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Dereham Town.

I alaways thought that about Dereham Town as well but maybe it's changed as they postponed their 27 Dec game 76 hours before kick off!

Sly maybe that was more a case of it's Xmas so CBA. As also seen at Brentford.... Tongue

Though to be fair to Dereham, it is asking a lot for their groundstaff, who are probably all volunteers, to work over Xmas when there's every chance their labours would be in vain. [EDIT: And wasn't their game of 27th off due to frost/snow, not rain?]

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Jan 12, 2011, 6:28 PM)

UKPunk

Jan 12, 2011, 7:23 PM

Post #16 of 69 (6684 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Calverton Miners Welfare
Brodsworth Welfare
Beer Albion

Original thread with many on from 2008

http://nonleaguematters.co.uk/...70108397a890a#140955

Well remembered Hoddy. I'd have tagged my post to the end of that thread had I remembererd it myself.

Oh, the perils of a failing memory........Angelic

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

paulm
Youth Team Sub

Jan 12, 2011, 8:30 PM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 69 (6653 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd add Salisbury City to the list, been a port in a few storms when other games locally have been off.

jrev61

Jan 12, 2011, 10:05 PM

Team(s): None

Post #18 of 69 (6614 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulm] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Leamington's pitch was in excellent condition last Saturday.

jrev61

GrundyHiller
First Team Sub

Jan 12, 2011, 11:02 PM

Team(s): Horwich RMI, Bolton Wanderers

Post #19 of 69 (6587 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Enville Athletic (MidCombD2) secretary assured me their ground had excellent drainage and it certainly looked good last Saturday

Chapeltom
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 12, 2011, 11:55 PM

Team(s): Sheffield Wednesday (ENG), Uni Lions (Taiwan baseball)

Post #20 of 69 (6570 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GrundyHiller] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or

AFC Blackpool - Vodkat League Div One

acmold

Jan 13, 2011, 9:48 AM

Post #21 of 69 (6531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hellenic_Fan] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Didcot Town is usually pretty good.Have been there a couple of times,when all around and about them games have been off,but they have still played.

Still good, but not quite as good as it used to be.

Quite a number of teams use it.

Fleetfan
Reserve Team Star

Jan 13, 2011, 12:06 PM

Post #22 of 69 (6505 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
With all the wet weather around at the moment I thought it would be a good idea if we had a list of grounds that have good drainage and are known for beating the elements when others in the locality are called off.

Especially in Queensland,Australia & also serious flooding in Rio de Janeiro state in Brazil.I think the UK comes off relatively lightly in recent rainfall totals! Here is the current state of the Suncorp stadium in Brisbane.Looks playable for water polo but this weekends A-League fixture between Brisbane Roar & Wellington Phoenix must be in serious doubtCrazy Visited in November 2008 for an A League fixture between the Roar & Melbourne Victory & it hammered down with rain then although obviously not to this magnitude!!

Matches Attended 2019 -20 : 61
New Grounds 2019-20: 56

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 13, 2011, 2:40 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #23 of 69 (6446 views)
Shortcut

How about Norwich United? I went there in September. After a full day of torrential rain, I feared I was wasting my time. When I saw the bepuddled approach road and flooded car park, I felt sure I was. Not a bit of it. Game on! The pitch played really well.

Little Sutton
Youth Team Sub

Jan 13, 2011, 2:49 PM

Team(s): Chester FC , Widnes Vikings , Non League Football

Post #24 of 69 (6443 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

West Kirby , West Cheshire League

KnowYourMarket

Jan 13, 2011, 7:42 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #25 of 69 (6384 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Pitches With Good Drainage [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Norwich United didn't play last Saturday when the weather was mild and clement.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3