Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Return of the Home Championship?

Fanatic
First Team Star

Jan 10, 2011, 9:50 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 15 (3224 views)
Shortcut
Return of the Home Championship? Can't Post or Reply Privately

http://news.bbc.co.uk/...football/9355809.stm

Certainly something I'd be in favour of, and far preferable to friendlies against Paraguay or Egypt.

jon b
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 12, 2011, 1:24 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #2 of 15 (3093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Return of the Home Championship? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Only if it's held outdoors in Qatar in the summer.

sandhurstbee
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 12, 2011, 1:30 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #3 of 15 (3090 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Return of the Home Championship? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Don`t get too excited, FA spokesman said on the Radio this would be a One off tournament as England had no intention of reviving the competition. There was talk sometime ago of the competition being revived with the Republic Of Ireland taking Englands place. Is this still on or has it been scrapped?

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

cope1

Jan 12, 2011, 2:00 PM

Post #4 of 15 (3082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Return of the Home Championship? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, it starts next month. All games to be played at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin on 8/9 Feb, 24/25 May and 27/29 May. It'll be on Sky and S4C.

dottirofhod

Jan 12, 2011, 4:06 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #5 of 15 (3053 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Return of the Home Championship? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Yes, it starts next month. All games to be played at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin on 8/9 Feb, 24/25 May and 27/29 May. It'll be on Sky and S4C.

Yep the Carling Nations Cup 2011 draw=

Feb 8 . Eire v Wales.
Feb 9 . Scotland v N.Ireland.

May 23 . N. Ireland v Eire.
May 24 . Wales v Scotland.

May 26 . Wales v N . Ireland.
May 27 . Eire v Scotland.

As stated all at the Aviva Stadium , Dublin.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 127 / 107 / 20 / 5 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 07 / 12 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-1-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

Mishi

Jan 12, 2011, 8:15 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #6 of 15 (3017 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Return of the Home Championship? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I read somewhere that they're going to alternate this between the countries, each one taking a turn to host the games each year.

Would be great if they used different grounds for the non-host country matches.

If this tournament makes enough money money through television money, sponsorship & ticket sales, why should they have a 'one off' with England, apart from, erm, money? Oh dear I think I've answered my own question...

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

garethwrexy

Jan 12, 2011, 9:23 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #7 of 15 (2997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Return of the Home Championship? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

hope wrexham get to host a home nations match we will be quids in Wink

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

Isaac

Jan 13, 2011, 11:50 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #8 of 15 (2951 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Return of the Home Championship? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Home International's were great........................it was the only worthwhile competition that I've seen England win being too young to remember 1966!

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 13, 2011, 12:18 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #9 of 15 (2944 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Return of the Home Championship? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The Home International's were great........................it was the only worthwhile competition that I've seen England win being too young to remember 1966!

Which competition wins weren't worthwhile then ?

cope1

Jan 13, 2011, 12:48 PM

Post #10 of 15 (2935 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Return of the Home Championship? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Rous Cup springs to mind.

sandhurstbee

Jan 13, 2011, 1:11 PM

Post #11 of 15 (2927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Return of the Home Championship? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ah! But better to win it than lose it..

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

cope1

Jan 13, 2011, 2:46 PM

Post #12 of 15 (2910 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Return of the Home Championship? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

True, true. But I never saw the point of awarding a cup. I don't see the problem with just having a couple of friendlies.

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Jan 14, 2011, 8:52 PM

Team(s): Darlingto

Post #13 of 15 (2838 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The Rous Cup springs to mind.

Also Tournoi De France in 1997...

I would like to see The British Home Championship, I cannot remeber it at all, like what is said on the BBC Sport site, the recent home national games have been pretty much incident free.

I think England have an opportunity to take part in the Carling Nations Cup but the F.A didn't want too.

I would like to see a five nations tournament, play it every other season, between major tournaments...

A home nation championship could double as a qualifier for the olympics, whichever team wins represents GB in the Olympics, apart from R.O.I of course

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

sandhurstbee

Jan 15, 2011, 6:13 PM

Post #14 of 15 (2742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] Return of the Home Championship? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In the 1970`s & 80`s many England Internationals at Wembley would be close to sell outs but with the games v Northern Ireland and Wales you always had a good chance of obtaining tickets on the gate on the day of the match (Oh Happy Days!)

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Jan 18, 2011, 10:43 AM

Team(s): Darlingto

Post #15 of 15 (2631 views)
Shortcut

Isn't there talk of reviving the tournament in 2013 as part of a 150th anniversary of the home internationals

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3