First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Dec 17, 2010, 2:42 PM

Team(s): Darlingto

Post #1 of 63 (9327 views)
Shortcut
2022 World Cup.....In Winter Can't Post or Reply Privately

I seen somewhere that Sepp Blatter is indicating 2022 may take place in January, I hate the idea of it, how will it work, for example would the F.A and our clubs be told to have a domestic break from Christmas to the conclusion of the tournament, and extend our season in mid-late june...

It does not make sense to have a World Cup at any time of the year in Qatar, in my opinion, I'm a traditionalist in many ways, I prefer August-May Season, games at 3pm Saturday and the World Cup played in June-July and not January-February

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 17, 2010, 4:23 PM

Post #2 of 63 (9309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] 2022 World Cup.....In Winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I seen somewhere that Sepp Blatter is indicating 2022 may take place in January, I hate the idea of it, how will it work, for example would the F.A and our clubs be told to have a domestic break from Christmas to the conclusion of the tournament, and extend our season in mid-late june...

It does not make sense to have a World Cup at any time of the year in Qatar, in my opinion, I'm a traditionalist in many ways, I prefer August-May Season, games at 3pm Saturday and the World Cup played in June-July and not January-February

This has been reported in a number of newspapers but I haven't seen any substantial evidence to suggest it's true. I will assume it's scaremongering until I see some hard evidence.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 17, 2010, 4:53 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #3 of 63 (9304 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] 2022 World Cup.....In Winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On the flip side, it'll probably make a nice change for many parts of the world not to have their domestic seasons interrupted by the World Cup taking place in June/July.

John Treleven

Dec 17, 2010, 8:45 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 63 (9267 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] 2022 World Cup.....In Winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has given his backing to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar being switched to winter because of the country's intensely hot summers.
The tournament traditionally takes place in June and July but temperatures in Qatar at that time of year can reach 40C and 50C.
"I definitely support playing in winter here [Middle East] when the climate is appropriate," said Blatter.
"I'm thinking about the footballers, not only the fans but the actors."
Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke also supports the prospect of the 2022 World Cup being rescheduled.
"Why not? It means you open the World Cup to countries where they can never play it in June and July because it's never the right period of time," said Valcke.
"If you can do so, it would be a solution to open the organisation of the World Cup to a number of countries in this period which is winter in Europe but not winter in the rest of the world."
He added: "You can't just make a decision to move the tournament and that is it.
"It means you have to change completely when the leagues will play, mainly I would say in Europe. It's less difficult in the rest of the world."

buncranaboy

Dec 17, 2010, 8:52 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #5 of 63 (9264 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] 2022 World Cup.....In Winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
On the flip side, it'll probably make a nice change for many parts of the world not to have their domestic seasons interrupted by the World Cup taking place in June/July.

Who do you reckon will complain the loudest and longest ?

paulh66

Dec 17, 2010, 9:05 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #6 of 63 (9261 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] 2022 World Cup.....In Winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Who do you reckon will complain the loudest and longest ?

England of course! Cool

Holloway's first out of the blocks in fine style, plenty more to come.....

sjosta
First Team Regular

Dec 17, 2010, 9:40 PM

Team(s): Groundhopper, ABE

Post #7 of 63 (9249 views)
Shortcut

I think we could even up the score between the two major countries in the UK playing in this one though. Winter, um, rain, snow , ice , perfect for Scotland. Turn out any Junior side, and they'll wipe the floor with the fancy dans from South America. Bets on final between Hill of Beath and Brazil

Football seen in: Scotland (268 grounds), England (969), Germany (289), Sweden (208), Netherlands (67), Wales (27), Ireland (S&N)(23/4), Austria (9), France (6), Denmark(5), Belgium(3),Italy(2), Luxembourg (2), Spain (2), Liechtenstein, Jersey, Switzerland, Canada
Figures correct(ish) at end of season 14-15 (1898 total)
For all your Fife needs:
Fife Junior History

dottirofhod

Dec 17, 2010, 10:28 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #8 of 63 (9233 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sjosta] 2022 World Cup.....In Winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I think we could even up the score between the two major countries in the UK playing in this one though. Winter, um, rain, snow , ice , perfect for Scotland. Turn out any Junior side, and they'll wipe the floor with the fancy dans from South America. Bets on final between Hill of Beath and Brazil

Eric , lay off the Buckfast . Yes it's their winter in January but , um , ice and snow ?
Average temps for Qatar
Doha, Qatar

High.Low.
Jan 71F 55F
Feb 73F 56F

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 100 / 85 / 15 / inc 4 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 08 / 11 / 2019.
Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Dec 17, 2010, 10:33 PM)

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Dec 17, 2010, 11:29 PM

Team(s): Darlingto

Post #9 of 63 (9215 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] 2022 World Cup.....In Winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm surprised Sir Alex Ferguson hasn't give his own two cents worth in this case, and Roy Keane as well, Keano seems to have an opinion on evrything, when he was at Sunderland he would get interviewed about things that didn't concern him, as did Gareth Southgate at Boro.

I read in one paper today that suggested Qatars neighbour, the U.A.E would get some games, althougj I think that's been squashed already

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

paulh66

Dec 17, 2010, 11:53 PM

Post #10 of 63 (9205 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I'm surprised Sir Alex Ferguson hasn't give his own two cents worth in this case, and Roy Keane as well, Keano seems to have an opinion on evrything, when he was at Sunderland he would get interviewed about things that didn't concern him, as did Gareth Southgate at Boro.

I read in one paper today that suggested Qatars neighbour, the U.A.E would get some games, althougj I think that's been squashed already

Still waiting for Redknapp - that's 'arry, not his gibbering son - to wade in too. Probably too busy talking about players at clubs other than his own to be bothered right now. But he'll undoubtedly come up with a few pearls of wisdom in time.

And anyway, I thought Fabio and the FA liked the the idea of a winter break.... Unimpressed

jon b
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 18, 2010, 2:35 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #11 of 63 (9165 views)
Shortcut

The problem with a winter break is, of course, predicting when the winter weather will hit us.

You could have footie snowed off in December, a World Cup in January, and then the return of the snows in February. Oh, dear.

However, if a World Cup was held in January we could hardly blame any failure by the national side on them being knackered and jaded after a long hard season.

We'd have to think up another excuse. Cool

rambler77
First Team Star

Dec 18, 2010, 5:21 PM

Team(s): Oadby Town, Leicester City

Post #12 of 63 (9130 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] 2022 World Cup.....In Winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The problem with a winter break is, of course, predicting when the winter weather will hit us.

You could have footie snowed off in December, a World Cup in January, and then the return of the snows in February. Oh, dear.

However, if a World Cup was held in January we could hardly blame any failure by the national side on them being knackered and jaded after a long hard season.

We'd have to think up another excuse. Cool

Why not start with the obvious - we are not good enough.
All the other reasons are bullshit!!!!

http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/

Fanatic
First Team Star

Dec 20, 2010, 10:11 AM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 63 (9018 views)
Shortcut

I don't understand why the possibility of having a winter World Cup is causing such an outcry - although Qatar getting the World Cup was a bit odd, if a larger country with a similar climate (e.g. Egypt) were hosting it, we would have exactly the same problem. Plus, as other posters pointed out, the summer World Cup already interrupts those with summer leagues - would it really be infeasible for us to rearrange our fixtures for once?

And anyway, non-League (and even anything below the Championship) could carry on regardless and perhaps pick up a few people looking for their football fix.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 20, 2010, 10:54 AM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #14 of 63 (9008 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] 2022 World Cup.....In Winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Assuming (a big assumption, I know) England qualify for Qatar 2022, and the tournament is played mid-winter, presumably our over-rated players won't be able to wheel out the (excuse the pun) tired old excuse of being jaded for failure to perform adequately on the pitch.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Dec 20, 2010, 10:55 AM)

cope1

Dec 20, 2010, 11:24 AM

Post #15 of 63 (9002 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] 2022 World Cup.....In Winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Absolutely. The thing is, so far we've had nice, neat world cups which occur at the same time of year because no one's made a fuss about it. Now it seems they may need to move it and we're finding out what it feels like to have our season shoved around. The South Americans - who are 'traditional footballing countries' have made sacrafices to accommodate the World Cup for decades. It happens in the AFC, CONCACAF and CAF regions too.

garethwrexy

Dec 20, 2010, 11:38 AM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #16 of 63 (8995 views)
Shortcut

could work here with the bad winters were getting know Smile

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 20, 2010, 6:06 PM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 63 (8951 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I think you'll find that all managers have opinions in press conferences every day, but skysports news tend to show him as much as the big boys. It keeps the Ipswich owner happy as he gets lots of advertising. It almost seems he stirs things up on purpose, just to get the owner more exposure. Most Ipswich fans think it's the only reason he's still in a job, it certainly isn't down to tactics, team selection or his baffling substitutions.

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Dec 20, 2010, 6:21 PM

Post #18 of 63 (8945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] 2022 World Cup.....In Winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The South Americans - who are 'traditional footballing countries' have made sacrafices to accommodate the World Cup for decades.

Oh, so THAT explains why they've struggled so badly in the competition over the years...

cope1

Dec 20, 2010, 6:23 PM

Post #19 of 63 (8942 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] 2022 World Cup.....In Winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
The South Americans - who are 'traditional footballing countries' have made sacrafices to accommodate the World Cup for decades.

Oh, so THAT explains why they've struggled so badly in the competition over the years...

?

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

Dec 20, 2010, 9:22 PM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #20 of 63 (8915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] 2022 World Cup.....In Winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bit of scarcasm was there I think Mr Cope!

I think the main outcry would be the fact that the 'World's most popular leagues' would be affected, and we can't have that can we?

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Dec 21, 2010, 10:18 AM

Post #21 of 63 (8857 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] 2022 World Cup.....In Winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Maybe. Just a little bit...Angelic

"the 'World's most popular leagues' would be affected"

I find it slightly staggering that these leagues, with all their resources and organisational capabilities are saying that they are unable to work around a, what, six week window. With TWELVE years notice?

cope1

Dec 21, 2010, 3:16 PM

Post #22 of 63 (8822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] 2022 World Cup.....In Winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I got the sarcasm, but couldn't understand what point was being made.
But indeed, you'd think it should be within their capability to arrange a 6-week break given 12 years' notice.
Most of the rest of the world arrange domestic competitions around international competitions which clash all the time. We're just used to the fact that so far we've never had to do it.

jrev61

Dec 21, 2010, 7:51 PM

Team(s): None

Post #23 of 63 (8795 views)
Shortcut

How many South American World Cup players actually play for clubs in South America?

jrev61

zebedee
First Team Star

Dec 21, 2010, 9:38 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #24 of 63 (8777 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] 2022 World Cup.....In Winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

According to the squads on Wikipedia there were 36 players from South American clubs playing at the 2010 finals. Paraguay had ten South American based players, Chile had nine and Uruguay had eight. The big two of Brazil and Argentina had the fewest players based on their home continent - Argentina had six whilst Brazil had just three. The Argentinian league contributed eleven players, the Chilean ten, five from Brazil, four from Paraguay, two each from the Colombian and Uruguayan leagues and one player (Enrique Vera of LDU Quito and Paraguay) coming from the Ecuadorian league.

3-1-5-1
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 22, 2010, 1:39 AM

Team(s): Sheff Wed, Gremio, Cwmbran and thirty others

Post #25 of 63 (8739 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zebedee] 2022 World Cup.....In Winter [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Never mind the players, it's the fans who are affected as well!

I had six weeks without a match to go to when the Brasileiro took a break for this year's World Cup. Mad

We should have the next World Cup in January as well!

Eu sou Gaucho!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3