First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

fredkirkbytown
Reserve Team Star

Dec 6, 2010, 7:34 AM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 26 (14862 views)
Shortcut
Qatar 2022 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Don't know how much this article should be taken seriously.
Or if its a journalist trying to come up with a "reasons why
Qatar 2022 is a silly idea".
But according to a FIFA source,FIFA are considering holding
the 2022 World Cup in January 2022!!
Phew ! That'll be a relief.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/...ke-place-in-january/

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 6, 2010, 7:52 AM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 26 (14859 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fredkirkbytown] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Possible disruption of P'ship fixtures for two months if that happened?

leohoenig
Administrator

Dec 6, 2010, 12:44 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #3 of 26 (14822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think this story will run for some time. The bid was for a World Cup to be held in June/July and the bid docuemtns and evaluation were on that basis. But now it has been confirmed that Qatar are to stage the cup, it appears that the question of when can be raised. There are good reasons to stage the competition in January, but is there any good reason to settle the issue in 2011? A January world cup (most likely to be January 14 to February 13) would mean a forced break in all those competitions that traditionally play in January. Is that really a problem?

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 6, 2010, 5:56 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 26 (14778 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I thought Qatar won the bid because they were going to build air-conditioned stadiums. Not much fun for the fans getting to and from the grounds in that heat, but at least it will be cool in the stadiums. It's not just the time it takes to run the tournament, most Countries want at least a month to prepare. There's no way they'd move it to the middle of winter.

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 6, 2010, 7:52 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #5 of 26 (14759 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

An enforced mid-season winter break for the top flight could be quite a boon for non-league clubs, if we all 'market' ourselves correctly. Packed bars for some of the games, & bigger crowds to watch the proper stuff in our leagues.

I couldn't care less when it's played, & neither will the majority of fans. As long as the corporate freeloaders are happy surely that's all that matters?
(And, no I'm not serious with that last sentence!)

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 6, 2010, 7:56 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #6 of 26 (14756 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I thought Qatar won the bid because they were going to build air-conditioned stadiums. Not much fun for the fans getting to and from the grounds in that heat, but at least it will be cool in the stadiums. It's not just the time it takes to run the tournament, most Countries want at least a month to prepare. There's no way they'd move it to the middle of winter.

Recipe for catching a cold......

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

UKPunk

Dec 6, 2010, 8:15 PM

Post #7 of 26 (14748 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I think this story will run for some time. The bid was for a World Cup to be held in June/July and the bid docuemtns and evaluation were on that basis. But now it has been confirmed that Qatar are to stage the cup, it appears that the question of when can be raised. There are good reasons to stage the competition in January, but is there any good reason to settle the issue in 2011? A January world cup (most likely to be January 14 to February 13) would mean a forced break in all those competitions that traditionally play in January. Is that really a problem?

As Mishi says, rather than it being a problem it could be a money spinner for non league clubs, especially if they stagger their games so that they play either just before or just after England's games in the group stages. I'd quite happily see it shifted to January not least to see the reaction of the likes of Fergie et al.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

dottirofhod

Dec 6, 2010, 8:19 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #8 of 26 (14746 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

As Mishi says, rather than it being a problem it could be a money spinner for non league clubs, especially if they stagger their games so that they play either just before or just after England's games in the group stages. I'd quite happily see it shifted to January not least to see the reaction of the likes of Fergie et al.

Not sure about just after , seem to remember lots of fighting /drunkeness etc after England games in the past !

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Dec 6, 2010, 8:22 PM

Post #9 of 26 (14742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I take it we have automatically qualified then?

Perhaps that was our little "Thank You" for the bribes we gave.

dottirofhod

Dec 6, 2010, 8:30 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #10 of 26 (14734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garrincha's dog] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

O ye of little faith.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

UKPunk

Dec 6, 2010, 8:31 PM

Post #11 of 26 (14734 views)
Shortcut

We seem to do alright at qualifying, hence the reason I think we will do. But you will notice I only mentioned our three group games as it's when we're in the finals when we struggle.

Fair point about playing after England games though. Nevertheless, there's still scope for non league clubs making some money if the tournament is switched to January.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 7, 2010, 1:38 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #12 of 26 (14654 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I take it we have automatically qualified then?

Perhaps that was our little "Thank You" for the bribes we gave.

Well spotted. But wait for the "root and branch review" that will follow the dismal exit from the competition although there will be some cynics who will suspect foul play in the disallowing of two perfectly good goals in the crucial match against Qatar who win with a hotly-disputed penalty. There will be calls for the reinstatement of David Beckham as he is still the best crosser of a ball in England while the biggest controversy surrounds the Irish team who are sent home en masse for smuggling alcohol into the country. Manager Jack Hackett defends the strategy saying simply "it was too feckin hot". The competition will now move on to 2026 hosts, Kerguelen.

(This post was edited by buncranaboy on Dec 7, 2010, 1:38 PM)

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 7, 2010, 2:11 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #13 of 26 (14644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Perhaps

The competition will now move on to 2026 hosts, Kerguelen.

2030 is almost in the bag.

http://www.facebook.com/...-bid/170599556306874

Brown envelopes on the way (but they were white when they were posted).

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

AndyE
First Team Star

Dec 10, 2010, 3:04 PM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 26 (14509 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
2026 hosts, Kerguelen.

Actually, 2026 might just be fairly sensible. Europe and Asia can't apply, and there's unlikely to be a serious bid from Oceania. (Realistically it could only come from New Zealand, and I doubt if they'd be all that interested.)

Brazil has 2014 so it may be too soon for South America to get it again. And in any case, the country said to be most interested is Colombia, which has no chance. (Passed it up once before, and the country isn't especially safe.)

Africa got 2010, so Concacaf would have to be favourites to get 2026.

Where would it be? The USA is probably politically impossible - the Asian and African countries just wouldn't vote for them, and they'd probably be unwilling to give the required assurances about players' visas - and Mexico has had it twice. Which would seem to me to make Canada the favourites for 2026.

(This post was edited by AndyE on Dec 10, 2010, 3:08 PM)

jrev61

Dec 10, 2010, 7:20 PM

Team(s): None

Post #15 of 26 (14482 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
2026 hosts, Kerguelen.

Actually, 2026 might just be fairly sensible. Europe and Asia can't apply, and there's unlikely to be a serious bid from Oceania. (Realistically it could only come from New Zealand, and I doubt if they'd be all that interested.)

Brazil has 2014 so it may be too soon for South America to get it again. And in any case, the country said to be most interested is Colombia, which has no chance. (Passed it up once before, and the country isn't especially safe.)

Africa got 2010, so Concacaf would have to be favourites to get 2026.

Where would it be? The USA is probably politically impossible - the Asian and African countries just wouldn't vote for them, and they'd probably be unwilling to give the required assurances about players' visas - and Mexico has had it twice. Which would seem to me to make Canada the favourites for 2026.

They came second to Qatar in the vote for the 2022 World Cup, so could possibly go one better in the next vote, with very little opposition, I doubt whether Canada would bother to apply.
The USA regularly stage the Olympics/Winter Olympics with no major Visa problems.Also they have staged two women's World Cups recently. North Korea were involved in both of these events, and even played the USA.If they can get visas any other country can too.
Never underestimate the ability of the USA to get major International events even when they clearly don't deserve to.

jrev61

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 10, 2010, 10:37 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #16 of 26 (14450 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Unless they change the rules to allow China to bid I can't see anywhere other than the USA for 2026.

Last new ground (846): Vasil Levski Stadium, Sofia - Bulgaria v England 14/10/19
Last game: as above
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal, Czech Republic, Bulgaria

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

Dec 13, 2010, 1:11 PM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #17 of 26 (14337 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I may be in a minority here, but I'm slightly miffed that a country that has never ever qualified for a World Cup Finals gets to host the tournament!

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

cope1

Dec 13, 2010, 4:53 PM

Post #18 of 26 (14316 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I know what you're saying but then I think anyone who qualifies through hosting is getting a head start, so why should it be a traditionally successful team any more than anyone else? I'm not that struck on Qatar itself but I'm please it's getting a go in the Middle East in general. I guess Iran would have a few problems...

cope1

Dec 13, 2010, 4:54 PM

Post #19 of 26 (14314 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Why do the USA not deserve to host the tournament? I'll accept hosting it recently, although that hasn't stopped other countries getting their mits on it before.

northstandexile
First Team Regular

Dec 15, 2010, 11:34 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #20 of 26 (14209 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I may be in a minority here, but I'm slightly miffed that a country that has never ever qualified for a World Cup Finals gets to host the tournament!

What about Uruguay in 1930 WinkWink

AndyE
First Team Star

Dec 16, 2010, 2:07 PM

Team(s):

Post #21 of 26 (14150 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nice one! The very fact of Uruguay 1930 probably makes it even less likely that South America will bid for 2026. You'd have to imagine that FIFA is thinking about giving 2030 to Uruguay (probably in conjunction with Argentina), and it's not going to allow South America to have 2026 and 2030.

I'm still not convinced that the USA is really up for 2026. Half a dozen US cities expressed interest in the 2020 Olympics, but have all withdrawn on the advice of the US Olympic Committee - which claims that the IOC has told it that under no circumstances will the Olympics be awarded to the USA. To get the World Cup, the US would have to give unconditional guarantees that any country which qualifies will be allowed in - and if it has a Republican President at the relevant time, it might not be willing to give those guarantees.

Incidentally, similar issues probably rule out New Zealand ever hosting the World Cup, even if it were ever likely too. Had FIFA actually followed its own rules, it should have expelled New Zealand from 2010 after the Fiji team was refused entry for a qualifying match. (New Caledonia might then have qualified, which would have been fun. Would FIFA have granted dispensation for a 39 year old Christian Karembeu to play for them, just as Jocelyn Angloma played for Guadeloupe at 42?)

Qatar has had to give a similar assurance that Israel will be allowed in if it qualifies for 2026. But becoming more of an issue is the fact that gay people are banned from entering the country, and Sepp Blatter has found it appropriate to make flippant comments about this.

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Dec 17, 2010, 2:34 PM

Team(s): Darlingto

Post #22 of 26 (14106 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wasn't Uruguay Olympic Football Champions going into the 1930 World Cup

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 13, 2018, 8:33 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #23 of 26 (11911 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've blown the cobwebs off this thread because it has reared it's ugly head again. There is talk that the WC in 2022 could be increased to 48 teams. This is what Gianni Infantino wants to happen and Conmebol have asked for that to be brought forward.from 2026 and it could mean hosting matches outside Qatar.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 20, 2018, 8:59 PM

Post #24 of 26 (11714 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I've blown the cobwebs off this thread because it has reared it's ugly head again. There is talk that the WC in 2022 could be increased to 48 teams. This is what Gianni Infantino wants to happen and Conmebol have asked for that to be brought forward.from 2026 and it could mean hosting matches outside Qatar.

Reserecting a thread after 8 years. Must be a record. Cant see it happening think scheduled is already in place. They would have to extend it for upto a week to allow for extra games.

I need to have the last word, as it always looks as if I am right !

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 22, 2019, 11:58 PM

Post #25 of 26 (879 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Qatar 2022 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

It won't happen. FIFA has dropped the plan:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48373886

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3