Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Clubs who have changed nickname

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 19, 2010, 10:21 PM

Post #26 of 45 (10615 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Weren't Colchester Town one of the teams that joined to form Colchester United ?

Up the road Ipswich sort of adopted the Tractor Boys tag that was applied rather derogatorily by others when they promoted to the Prem in 2000 - its not used as much now - and they call Norwich the Budgies when taking the proverbial

I thought Colchester Town folded (1936-ish) and Colchester United formed to take their place???

They did fold and United are a separate entity.

Mishi

Oct 19, 2010, 11:00 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #27 of 45 (10606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Croydon FC were always known as the 'Blues', but started calling themselves the 'Trams' when the Tramlink was built through the Croydon area at the start of the century.

Grounds visited: 741
Last new ground: Old Roan FC; John Roan Playing Fields; Kidrooke Park Road, London, SE3. (Bromley & South London Football Alliance Division One)
Last game: Tuesday 16th August 2019:Dulwich Hamlet 1, Wealdstone 0. [Vanarama National League South]
Matches watched this season: 17
2017/18-New English grounds: 3; & foreign: 0

TonyD
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 20, 2010, 2:39 PM

Team(s): Sutton United, Crystal Palace

Post #28 of 45 (10577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Croydon FC were always known as the 'Blues', but started calling themselves the 'Trams' when the Tramlink was built through the Croydon area at the start of the century.

And, I think, as a bit of a pop at the Rams.

I note that Egahm fans now refer to the team as the Sarnies, which I think is guite good.

For a (very) short period last year it looked as though Sutton United might change from the U's to the Gambians, after an error in a BBC report. As U's is a very bprong nickname, I think it would be a good thing.

Finally on the Coventry/Oysters issue, is the suggestion that someone completed the form for Colchester then forgot to update it when they did Coventry? It would certainly reflect the level of accuracy we've come to expect from Wiki!

ash
First Team Sub

Oct 20, 2010, 4:48 PM

Team(s): England, Forest & Gresley

Post #29 of 45 (10565 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TonyD] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It does seem unlikely that Jimmy Hill would have written the words for the Sky Blue version of the Eton Boating Song in 1962 and included a reference to a team that had folded thirty odd years previously.

sandhurstbee

Oct 20, 2010, 7:15 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #30 of 45 (10554 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Researching Southend United extensively pre-1920, the Bees were always referred to as the Wasps in match previews, reports and when doing a short history of the opposition.

Here is one example, a match report from 1908.

Wednesday, February 19th, 1908
United League
Southend United 0 Brentford 0

The game with Brentford, on Wednesday, was voted by those who saw it to have been one of the best contests seen at Roots Hall this season. The “wasps” brought down their first Southern League team; the clubs being represented as follows:

Reading through the Brentford History book 1889-2008 The first reference of a Nick name came in 1892 when they were refered to as `The Bonny Boys. In 1900/01 a local scribe described them as The busy Bees of Brentford. Reference to the Bees was made in 1902/03 and a report in a local paper in 1906/07 said The Bees have excellent away support, so it certainly seems that they were known locally as The Bees at that time. I have seen no reference to them being known as The Wasps and suspect maybe that it was just your local Reporter who came up with the name for some reason. Unfortunately Graham Haynes who co wrote the book is no longer with us but I will certainly ask the other Co Writer Dave Twydell if he ever came across the Reference in all of his research. I would be interested to know if any other clubs referred to Brentford as The Wasps when they played them.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Star

Oct 21, 2010, 2:30 PM

Post #31 of 45 (10516 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or

Up until around 1959 Watford were known as the Brewers or the Blues as Vicarage Road was owned by Benskins. I think there was a competition in the Watford Observer asking what colours and nickname was wanted and the Hornets were born.

Also until 1920ish Frome Town were known as the Scarlet Runners before changing to the Robins.

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Oct 22, 2010, 1:53 AM

Post #32 of 45 (10482 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jaundiced Hack] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Swindon Town were and still should be, The Railwaymen.

Bristol Rovers were at one time, The Black Arabs. A great nickname but not for this day and age I guess.

sandhurstbee

Oct 22, 2010, 1:22 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #33 of 45 (10439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garrincha's dog] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Bristol Rovers were at one time, The Black Arabs. A great nickname but not for this day and age I guess.

That come up on The Football League show last week.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

cope1

Oct 22, 2010, 5:02 PM

Post #34 of 45 (10414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Obviously there are a lot of rugby league changes such as Wigan Warriors who were previously the Riversiders. Mind you, 'Warriors' is part of the clubs official title nowadays. Does anyone know if they are still known as the Riversiders as well? I think Warrington are still known as the Wire (or 'the Wires', if you listen to half the news presenters ever to have had reason to refer to them...).

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Oct 22, 2010, 11:50 PM

Post #35 of 45 (10387 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

According to same hapless show Bristol Rovers groundshared for many years at Twerton Park, but the clueless cretins proceeded to show The Recreation Ground.

Actually thought that PhilofTeamBath may have picked up on that one.

Over the top
First Team Sub

Oct 28, 2010, 8:58 PM

Post #36 of 45 (10238 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Oxford United changed from the U's to the Dons in the early 1970's, it was very shorted lived and soon changed back to the U's, though some newspapers refer to them as the Bulls.

We're referred to a lot as the Yellows too.

kowalski
Junior Team Regular

Nov 29, 2010, 2:06 PM

Team(s): Stenhousemuir FC, Atherton LR, Buckland Athletic, Crusaders RLFC

Post #37 of 45 (10091 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Obviously there are a lot of rugby league changes such as Wigan Warriors who were previously the Riversiders. Mind you, 'Warriors' is part of the clubs official title nowadays. Does anyone know if they are still known as the Riversiders as well? I think Warrington are still known as the Wire (or 'the Wires', if you listen to half the news presenters ever to have had reason to refer to them...).

Salford City Reds are known as The Car Thieves locally.

Atherton Laburnum Rovers - There are those that are, and there are those that want to be!

South Devon Rovers on tour!

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 30, 2010, 4:35 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #38 of 45 (10022 views)
Shortcut

No reason why Wigan shouldn't still be referred to as the Riversiders. A river (of sorts; not sure what it's called) runs round the back of their new stadium in the same way the Douglas flowed behind the old main stand at Central Park.

Some rugby league nicknames were rendered out of date by changes to industry. For example, Whitehaven were the Colliers - at least until 1985, when the last pit (Haig) in the town shut. Older Huddersfield fans still call their team 'Fartown', despite not playing in the suburb of that name any more, but Halifax can never again be referred to as 'Thrum Hallers'. More's the pity.

pitch 63
First Team Star

Jan 16, 2011, 8:22 AM

Post #39 of 45 (9762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garrincha's dog] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

According to same hapless show Bristol Rovers groundshared for many years at Twerton Park, but the clueless cretins proceeded to show The Recreation Ground.

Actually thought that PhilofTeamBath [I like that] may have picked up on that one.

The Black Arabs was the original name of Bristol Rovers, not the nickname. However, during my lifetime their nickname has evolved from the Pirates to the Gasheads, a reference to the local gasworks when they were at Eastville, which on dull and dark days produced a smog that sort of settled around the ground.

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Feb 9, 2011, 9:07 PM

Team(s): Darlingto

Post #40 of 45 (9543 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunderland at some point have been known to be called the Rokerites, Mackems, before being Black Cats, I don't think they had an official nickname, Black Cats has been around as a nickname for years, but the club made it official in about 2006, they may also have been known as The Teachers at some point as they were formed by school teachers, not 100% certain on that

Hartlepool United were known as Pools as a nickname, and now it seems Monkey Hangers are used in an unofficial manner

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

Bristol Rovers
Youth Team Sub

Feb 10, 2011, 11:04 AM

Post #41 of 45 (9521 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Actually thought that PhilofTeamBath [I like that] may have picked up on that one.

The Black Arabs was the original name of Bristol Rovers, not the nickname. However, during my lifetime their nickname has evolved from the Pirates to the Gasheads, a reference to the local gasworks when they were at Eastville, which on dull and dark days produced a smog that sort of settled around the ground. Rovers were known, from their formation in the autumn of 1883 until the summer of 1884, as Black Arabs. As early as 1887, there are records of the club, by then known as Eastville Rovers, being nicknamed the Purdown Poachers, after the hillside on which the club oiriginally played. Through the early 1920s, the nickname was The Lilywhites, presumably as the club kit during their first decade in the Football League from 1920 was Preston's white shirts and navy shorts. The ubiquitous quartered shirt was introduced in 1931 and with it came the nickname The Pirates, which is still with us, partly a reflection also of Bristol's rich sea-faring tradition. Equally, the term "Gashead" is very popular nowadays, as per the reply above. Around 1979, Trevor Francis was quoted as saying Eastville was the worst ground he had played on, because of the smell of gas; around that time, there were references to "Gas", meaning Rovers, whilst the first anecdotal evidence of the word "Gashead" stems from the 1980-81 season. Certainly the song"Proud to be a Gashead" was sung at the first "home" game at Twerton Park, Bath in 1986, though perhaps never before. In recent years, the term has appeard in sources as diverse as the Planning Inspectorate Journal and Harper Collins' Dictionary.

BarStaff
Ballboy/girl

Feb 22, 2011, 1:23 PM

Team(s): Wigan Athletic

Post #42 of 45 (9395 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bristol Rovers] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wigan Athletic's nickname is boring old "LATICS", I've often thought we could have been called "The Piermen" however it probably would end up as "The Pie Men" Tongue

ps ..... The thugby are indeed known as The Warriors & you are quite correct about them being called the Riversiders and yes the same brown sludge does flow near the new stadium.

"You must love the game beyond the prize, because if there's no game, there's no prize anyway''. - John Cobbald

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Feb 23, 2011, 3:18 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #43 of 45 (9344 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
It is always difficult to know if a club has Officially dropped a nickname or is it just not used anymore. West Ham were known as The Irons or Ironsiders not heard them called that in years, Bradford City were the City Gents and Manchester City were known as The Citizens. Presumably Leicester City are no longer known as The Filberts.

West Ham still chant "Come on you Irons", don't they? And I'm pretty sure Bradford's mascot is still a 'City Gent'.

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 23, 2011, 7:04 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #44 of 45 (9330 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
It is always difficult to know if a club has Officially dropped a nickname or is it just not used anymore. West Ham were known as The Irons or Ironsiders not heard them called that in years, Bradford City were the City Gents and Manchester City were known as The Citizens. Presumably Leicester City are no longer known as The Filberts.

West Ham still chant "Come on you Irons", don't they? And I'm pretty sure Bradford's mascot is still a 'City Gent'.

It certainly is - Lenny the Gent is a legend in the West Riding. I've not seen them much over the last few years, and it's been a bit of a shock to see how old he's looking nowadays. Lost a lot of weight, too - doesn't brandish a massive pie from his briefcase any more.

jrev61

Mar 1, 2011, 6:32 PM

Team(s): None

Post #45 of 45 (9070 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Clubs who have changed nickname [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Manchester United were the 'Red Devils' now they are 'the Scum' or the 'Cheating Scum'!

jrev61

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3