Offside following the WC

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 7, 2010, 3:29 PM

Team(s): Yeovil Town FC

Post #1 of 19 (2147 views)
Shortcut
Offside following the WC Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thought this might be a ripe fruit for the plucking, considering the problems seen at the World Cup this month.

Personally I'd like to see offside laws much simplified...

Offside determined as the attacker receives the ball, not when it is passed to him. This is obvious, as how on earth does a referee or assistant know exactly which/where player receiving the ball - saves having to officially be 'looking at two seperate places on the pitch at the same time' - which is what seems to be currently expected!

No offside further downfield than the edge of the opponent's box and maybe also no offside whatsoever when ball is kicked from position in the field behind own team's box (excepting goal kicks).

No offside if there is any daylight between the attacker and the last defender's torso, whatever actual positions in space they happen to be in. Positions of arms/legs would not be taken into account for this purpose.

Pull my ideas to pieces and add some more of your own.

Inherited by AngusGF

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 7, 2010, 4:06 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #2 of 19 (2137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kernovian] Offside following the WC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Offside determined as the attacker receives the ball, not when it is passed to him.

That should be fun. Cue all defenders racing toward the half-way line at the hint of a long ball forward Crazy

rambler77
First Team Star

Jul 7, 2010, 5:02 PM

Team(s): Oadby Town, Leicester City

Post #3 of 19 (2124 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Offside following the WC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Why not scrap the offside law full stop. Speaking to someone at work who plays Hockey and told me that happened a few years ago and, despite the doubts has not affected the game. Been thinking about it myself and like the idea.

Surely worth as try - will take the presure off assistant refs and they can concentrate on the ball crossing the goalline and for fouls.

http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 7, 2010, 5:40 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #4 of 19 (2114 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rambler77] Offside following the WC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Scrapping offside has got to be worth a try, maybe in some meaningless pre season competition although knowing FIFA they'll try it out at the next World Cup finals!

Failing that the best solution I've heard is if a player is offside in the penalty area the flag goes up regardless of whether he touches the ball or not, outside the penalty area the flag only goes up if he actually touches the ball.

VP

Jul 7, 2010, 9:29 PM

Post #5 of 19 (2089 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kernovian] Offside following the WC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
how on earth does a referee or assistant know exactly which/where player receiving the ball - saves having to officially be 'looking at two seperate places on the pitch at the same time' - which is what seems to be currently expected!

It's called 'awareness'. It's not a difficult skill to master - you use your eyes to look across the line and your ears to listen to the ball being kicked.

**note** May not work when 70000 people are blowing horns in your ears but piece of pi** at lower levels.

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Jul 7, 2010, 9:46 PM

Post #6 of 19 (2078 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Offside following the WC [In reply to] Can't Post or

The problem then is that if the linesman is 50 yards away from the ball when it is played forward he will hear the sound 3/1000 of a second late. I don't know how quickly the brain can translate the actual sound into something audible to the human ear, and then how quickly the sound can be acknowledged and reacted upon, but I think this might cause further untold problems with marginal offside decisions. Cool

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

UKPunk

Jul 7, 2010, 10:14 PM

Post #7 of 19 (2066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tivvy_Al] Offside following the WC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Why not revert to the law as it was before this version came in. It seemed to work ok then.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 8, 2010, 9:29 AM

Post #8 of 19 (2041 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Offside following the WC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hmmm. Interesting points so far.

I'm interested in this from the point of view of someone who regularly uses predictive experimental error analysis in his line of business.

It seems to me that the whole offside thing is pretty much the exact opposite of what I do, which (very briefly) is to do with designing physical experiments such that errors in producing results are designed out of the system being tested. It's all very complex and subject to the O.S. Act, so I cannot detail more than this.
So, to me, the Offside Law appears to have been designed to include the maximum in experimental error!

Inherited by AngusGF

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 9, 2010, 10:43 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #9 of 19 (1978 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Offside following the WC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Why not revert to the law as it was before this version came in. It seemed to work ok then.

The point of the new interpretation was surely to reduce the number of stoppages - something that we all want surely?

Last new ground (844): Yarnton Lane - Kidlington v Didcot 4/9/19
Last game: England v Brazil @ Hednesford 8/9/19
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal

UKPunk

Jul 9, 2010, 11:48 PM

Post #10 of 19 (1964 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] Offside following the WC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

The point of the new interpretation was surely to reduce the number of stoppages - something that we all want surely?

But all it's done is confused most players and I must say, some officials.

Isaac

Jul 10, 2010, 6:33 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #11 of 19 (1920 views)
Shortcut

A popular argument is why should a 30 yard screamer into the top corner be ruled out just because somebody is stood in an offside position near the corner flag.

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 10, 2010, 12:21 PM

Post #12 of 19 (1894 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Offside following the WC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Exactly Isaac. And further... can we not have 'imterfering with play' properly defined?

Inherited by AngusGF

derekn
First Team Star

Jul 10, 2010, 5:51 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #13 of 19 (1862 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Exactly Isaac. And further... can we not have 'imterfering with play' properly defined?

I know it's been said before, but if you're on the pitch and not interfering with play, what the **** are you doing there in the first place.

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 10, 2010, 7:18 PM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 19 (1851 views)
Shortcut

Extend the 18 yard line right across the pitch so you can only be offside in the last 18 yards.

Minimal changes to existing markings

Smaller area for official to watch over

Always harder for an official to make a judgement when runniing full tilt

It also might spread out play and allow the attacking players more room

Richard Rundle

Jul 10, 2010, 9:51 PM

Post #15 of 19 (1831 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Offside following the WC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I know it's been said before, but if you're on the pitch and not interfering with play, what the **** are you doing there in the first place.

Well you could be down injured for starters

--
Richard

derekn
First Team Star

Jul 10, 2010, 10:35 PM

Post #16 of 19 (1825 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Offside following the WC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good point, well made! ..........though I'd assumed we were thinking more about people just standing about!

UKPunk

Jul 10, 2010, 11:46 PM

Post #17 of 19 (1811 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Offside following the WC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

For a while Scotland employed a system where there was a line across the pitch at about 25 yards only beyond which a player could be deemed offside, didn't they? How did it affect the game and would it be worth trying again?

derekn
First Team Star

Jul 11, 2010, 10:56 AM

Post #18 of 19 (1759 views)
Shortcut

Didn't much the same thing get tried out in the old Watney Cup years ago?

andy1886
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 12, 2010, 7:32 AM

Team(s): motherwell and yorkshire non league

Post #19 of 19 (1702 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
For a while Scotland employed a system where there was a line across the pitch at about 25 yards only beyond which a player could be deemed offside, didn't they? How did it affect the game and would it be worth trying again?

It never applied due to Scotland not getting 25 yards from their opponents goal during its trialWink

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3