Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Fabio

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 2, 2010, 5:22 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #26 of 43 (1777 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VMFC1987] Fabio [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Do you think the appointment of Hodgson as Liverpool manager "forced" the FA to confirm Capello?

That's a good question. Right now, I reckon the two issues are just a coincidence.

Instead, I'm inclined to believe that the FA have recognised that the reasons for England's failure were, to a certain degree, beyond the manager's control (perhaps serious issues amongst the squad, Terry's mutiny etc). The stories that will come out over the next few weeks will give us a better idea if this theory is right.

I'd also like to think that Capello himself has learned a lot from this tournament, has identified the problems and has convinced the FA he's the man to deal with them.

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 2, 2010, 6:40 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #27 of 43 (1766 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Fabio [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

By contrast Dunga stepped down within an hour of Brazil's exit, perhaps he's earned enough money now to buy a half decent coat?

I thought the FA were going to wait a fortnight before deciding on Capello's future? For me the decision stinks and shows that the FA are rotten to the core.

The whole problem with the players attitude is down to money, many are made for life before they reach 20, but anyway I've given up on England and thank goodness for non league football, roll on next season.

paulh66

Jul 2, 2010, 6:50 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #28 of 43 (1761 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Fabio [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
By contrast Dunga stepped down within an hour of Brazil's exit, perhaps he's earned enough money now to buy a half decent coat?

I thought the FA were going to wait a fortnight before deciding on Capello's future? For me the decision stinks and shows that the FA are rotten to the core.

The whole problem with the players attitude is down to money, many are made for life before they reach 20, but anyway I've given up on England and thank goodness for non league football, roll on next season.

Other's may say it's a display of firm leadership which offers unqualified support to the best man for the job. A stance seldom seen from the FA, I grant you.

Also agree about Dunga's coat...

buncranaboy

Jul 2, 2010, 6:57 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #29 of 43 (1754 views)
Shortcut

I happen to agree; knee-jerk sackings rarely achieve anything and, if nothing else, they may as well get him working for the next two years to get something back for the 12 million they have committed to pay him.
And yes, he may well learn from his mistakes and hopefully now see fit to inject a degree of realism into the expectations of the public. Unfortunately I reckon we can also rely on the good old press to hound him from now until the day he does eventually go. There should also be some very interesting fan reactions at the start of the new season when all the "revelations" have been digested. Some of the superstars obviously had their minds on matters other than winning the World Cup.............
Anyway, Hodgson will probably be free once Liverpool are sold and the new owners break the bank for another foreign coach...............

paulh66

Jul 2, 2010, 7:06 PM

Post #30 of 43 (1749 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Fabio [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I happen to agree; knee-jerk sackings rarely achieve anything and, if nothing else, they may as well get him working for the next two years to get something back for the 12 million they have committed to pay him.
And yes, he may well learn from his mistakes and hopefully now see fit to inject a degree of realism into the expectations of the public. Unfortunately I reckon we can also rely on the good old press to hound him from now until the day he does eventually go. There should also be some very interesting fan reactions at the start of the new season when all the "revelations" have been digested. Some of the superstars obviously had their minds on matters other than winning the World Cup.............
Anyway, Hodgson will probably be free once Liverpool are sold and the new owners break the bank for another foreign coach...............

Capello maybe? Wink

Isaac

Jul 2, 2010, 7:09 PM

Post #31 of 43 (1747 views)
Shortcut

I would normally agree about knee jerk sackings but I thought in international football the norm was that managers positions were reviewed after the World Cup, Euro's, African Nations or whatever.

I also think some explanation from the clowns at the FA should be forthcoming as to why Capello was given a new contract before the world cup.

Isaac

Jul 2, 2010, 8:35 PM

Post #32 of 43 (1736 views)
Shortcut

It seems that Uruguay pay their managers a bit better, he has quite a stylish overcoat whilst poor old Dunga has to make do with a charity shop cast off!

buncranaboy

Jul 3, 2010, 1:38 AM

Post #33 of 43 (1711 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I would normally agree about knee jerk sackings but I thought in international football the norm was that managers positions were reviewed after the World Cup, Euro's, African Nations or whatever.

I also think some explanation from the clowns at the FA should be forthcoming as to why Capello was given a new contract before the world cup.

If that were the norm, then you'd expect a two-year contract to be the norml. But the FA......................

Isaac

Jul 3, 2010, 9:58 AM

Post #34 of 43 (1675 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

If that were the norm, then you'd expect a two-year contract to be the norml. But the FA......................

I thought that was normally the case? Obviously our wonderful FA have other ideas though.

Being a national manager is obviously totally different to club football, everything is geared towards a major tournament every two years. Sven has stepped down as Ivory Coast manager (but their good fortune could soon be bad news for FulhamWink) and Dunga from the Brazil post and if as the old saying goes managers are as good as their last result then Capello is hopeless and should be shown the door without delay, the obscene amount of money that's being paid to him could have gone into grass roots football.

Isaac

Jul 3, 2010, 10:06 PM

Post #35 of 43 (1639 views)
Shortcut

Further to my earlier comments TEN managers have stood down after their country went out of the world cup.

paulh66

Jul 3, 2010, 10:13 PM

Post #36 of 43 (1634 views)
Shortcut

BTW - Dunga had been in charge for 4 years i.e. 2 major tournaments. I reckon that's a fairer period to judge a national team manager than Capello's 2 years, especially as in those 2 years Capello had turned around a squad that had failed to qualify for its previous major competition.

Wonder if Dunga wore his coat for his interview back in 2006?

And, speaking of fashion disasters, why do Germany's coaching staff dress as if they're about to head off to a Star Trek convention?

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Jul 3, 2010, 10:22 PM)

Fanatic
First Team Star

Jul 4, 2010, 3:09 PM

Team(s):

Post #37 of 43 (1599 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Wasn't it because they were concerned he might be tempted to leave for a big club job somewhere, and wanted to tie him down?

I really can't blame Capello. We've had two of Europe's best coaches during the past 10 years (Eriksson and Capello), and neither has been able to get us beyond a quarter-final. Does this mean they've suddenly become bad managers, or does it mean that this is all England are realistically capable of, bar a stroke of luck? I recall the last two times we reached tournament semi-finals, we had either a fairly easy draw (Belgium, Cameroon in 1990), or were rather fortunate in the quarters (vs Spain in 1996)...

grumpydwarf
First Team Star

Jul 4, 2010, 4:10 PM

Team(s): non-league football

Post #38 of 43 (1590 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Fabio [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

perhaps the F.A. should have told Fabio 2 HOURS BEFORE their next friendly...that`s seems to be the norm for him; shame they`ve kept him but you can understand why; perhaps, if they have saved 11 million pounds compensation, they can invest a few thousand in a crash course for him in speaking intelligible English!!!

buncranaboy

Jul 4, 2010, 4:48 PM

Post #39 of 43 (1582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grumpydwarf] Fabio [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

But half the team speak barely intelligible English !

As I've already said, I don't think it matters much who the coach is so long as England persist with outdated predictable hoof-ball which is not enough to overcome the sides who matter. You've got to keep the ball, something which is not prevalent in most Premier League games. They also find themselves at a disadvantage as they often take to the pitch with defenders who can't play (they can destroy but not create) meaning that in a team passing game they are often outnumbered. Upson's first reaction in that debacle last week was to lump it back straight where it had come from while Terry seemed intent on giving away an intercept goal every time he tried to "play" the ball out of defence.

Meanwhile, the pundits were busy telling us how dodgy Mertersacher was.......Crazy

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Jul 4, 2010, 8:28 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #40 of 43 (1542 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grumpydwarf] Fabio [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
if they have saved 11 million pounds compensation, they can invest a few thousand in a crash course for him in speaking intelligible English!!!

to be fair to fabio, his english is miles better than it was when he took over 2 years ago. it's deffo better than my italian.

Isaac

Jul 5, 2010, 10:13 AM

Post #41 of 43 (1506 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Fabio [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Wasn't it because they were concerned he might be tempted to leave for a big club job somewhere, and wanted to tie him down?

I really can't blame Capello. We've had two of Europe's best coaches during the past 10 years (Eriksson and Capello), and neither has been able to get us beyond a quarter-final. Does this mean they've suddenly become bad managers, or does it mean that this is all England are realistically capable of, bar a stroke of luck? I recall the last two times we reached tournament semi-finals, we had either a fairly easy draw (Belgium, Cameroon in 1990), or were rather fortunate in the quarters (vs Spain in 1996)...

I'd hardly call either Capello or Eriksson the best coaches in Europe, isn't there an old saying about a manager being only as good as his last result? And I can't imagine Fulham fans being overjoyed at the prospect of Sven taking over there and I can't imagine that there are too many top clubs wanting to lure Capello away either.

Club football is totally different in that after a bad result you normally have an opportunity to get it right a week later, of course the next meaningful international competition is the Euro's in two years time, assuming that we qualify of course.

I think heads should roll at the FA over the contract Capello was given, of course I can't blame him for accepting it.

jon b
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 5, 2010, 1:11 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #42 of 43 (1480 views)
Shortcut

I don't suppose the FA any more than the rest of us thought the campaign was going to go so thoroughly pear shaped.

After a highly successful qualifying campaign they must have worried that if they didn't tie him to a contract extension he'd take one of the club jobs (eg Inter) that were cropping up.

No doubt a semi successful World Cup for our guys followed by Fabio deciding, because he hadn't had public backing on his contract from the FA, that he was offski, would have resulted in just as much bad mouthing of the FA by press, Hansen, Lawrenson etc for not tying him to one.

May be worth remembering that, although we could have played umpteen times better than we did, England v Germany saw the FIFA 8th ranked nation losing to the 6th ranked, after having a definite goal scrubbed out and being caught on the break for the final 2 goals.

As we've seen with Ronaldo, Torres, Messi, Kaka etc there's no magic wand a manager can wave to get his players to perform once they've crossed the white line. Unimpressed

What is amusing is watching the professional pundits slating Capello. Most of them couldn't manage a football team at any level even if their lives depended on it. Cool

Isaac

Jul 5, 2010, 5:22 PM

Post #43 of 43 (1454 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Fabio [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I can't accept that argument at all I'm afraid indeed there were people saying before the world cup started that Capello should stand down afterwards no matter what, as appears to have been the case with Dunga, but to give Capello an extended contract just in case he did well is just crazy.

I don't think being able to manage a team is an essential requirement to become a pundit, if that were the case none of us would be in a position to criticise anything.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3