Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Germany a bit sloppy in defence ?.

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 27, 2010, 9:36 PM

Post #1 of 20 (8284 views)
Shortcut
Germany a bit sloppy in defence ?. Can't Post or

Despite Germany winning 4-1, I bet they will not be happy that they in theory conceded two goals in a matter of minutes. Everyone has to accept that Lampard's was a goal, I know it did not count, but it was a goal. When was the last time Germany conceded two goals in such a sort space of time. Also where was their marking for the first goal they just let Upson jump and head the ball in.

Isaac

Jun 27, 2010, 9:46 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #2 of 20 (8277 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Germany a bit sloppy in defence ?. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Add to that both Defoe (who was wrongly flagged offside) and Lampard (again in the second half) hit the crossbar.

Had it been 2-2 at half time as it should have been who knows how it might have turned out?

I don't think the Germans should be getting too carried away with todays result.

(This post was edited by Isaac on Jun 27, 2010, 9:53 PM)

Flo
Junior Team Sub

Jun 28, 2010, 4:35 AM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 20 (8243 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Germany a bit sloppy in defence ?. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was the ball really behind the line?? Tongue

Ok - we're lucker. When England makes the 2-2, then it will an other game..

cope1

Jun 28, 2010, 11:21 AM

Post #4 of 20 (8187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Germany a bit sloppy in defence ?. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It was a pretty poor piece of officiating from whatever angle the lino saw it and I think it's fair to say that had it got to 2-2 Germany would have been rattled. However, I don't think England can claim too much injustice at the result because of it. If your reaction to not having a clear goal awarded is to lose 1-4 then you're not up to much in the first place.

As for the England team I don't know what the problem is but it seems to be there whichever players play and whoever the manager is. This mysterious inability to play properly in final tournaments. I don't think the press help much and listening Lawrenson last night describing fans' gruelling journeys, having spent their life savings to get to South Africa I haven't changed my opinion. I thought Rooney had no right to complain after the Algeria game that the fans booed, as they have paid a fair whack to see their team and that team are handsomely rewarded to put up with a bit of booing. But Lawro went too far, especially when he made a meal out of them having to change their plans after England came 2nd, not 1st in their group. The idea that any fan has a right to expect their team to win a group is ridiculous and it shows up how patronising the attitude is to the likes of the USA, who are not a bad team.

acmold

Jun 28, 2010, 5:53 PM

Post #5 of 20 (8142 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Germany a bit sloppy in defence ?. [In reply to] Can't Post or

The Dutch don't seem to have the best defence in the world either.

Chris1963

Jun 28, 2010, 6:19 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #6 of 20 (8131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Germany a bit sloppy in defence ?. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FIFA really need to get their act together and have two extra linesmen, one behind each goal, in future tournaments.

Revenge for 1966? Maybe, but it's occasionally alleged that Hurst's shot spun over the line, before coming down on the line itself. Perhaps it's about time someone did a computer reconstruction to find out if this theory is correct...

Chris1963

Jun 28, 2010, 6:19 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #7 of 20 (8131 views)
Shortcut

FIFA really need to get their act together and have two extra linesmen, one behind each goal, in future tournaments.

Revenge for 1966? Maybe, but it's occasionally alleged that Hurst's shot spun over the line, before coming down on the line itself. Perhaps it's about time someone did a computer reconstruction to find out if this theory is correct...

jrev61

Jun 28, 2010, 7:04 PM

Team(s): None

Post #8 of 20 (8112 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Germany a bit sloppy in defence ?. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

This has been done, I believe. In Germany a computer simulation proved the ball had not crossed the line.
A similiar English simulation proved it was definitely a goal.
Maybe the fact that the 'Russian' linesman (actually Azerbaijani) lost many of his family in German labour camps may have slightly influenced his decision!
If the late Alan Ball had just stuck the rebound into the net and not appealed for a goal instead, the whole debate could have been avoided and Geoff Hurst would not be the only player to have a World Cup Final hat-trick.

jrev61

Isaac

Jun 28, 2010, 7:09 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #9 of 20 (8111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Germany a bit sloppy in defence ?. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There were reserve officials sat twiddling their thumbs just in case one of the officials picked up an injury and couldn't continue.

I don't think we'll ever know for sure whether Geoff Hurst's shot crossed the line.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 29, 2010, 10:35 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #10 of 20 (8054 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
There were reserve officials sat twiddling their thumbs just in case one of the officials picked up an injury and couldn't continue.

I don't think we'll ever know for sure whether Geoff Hurst's shot crossed the line.

Oh, I think we do know

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Jun 29, 2010, 2:56 PM

Post #11 of 20 (8003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Germany a bit sloppy in defence ?. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

This has been done, I believe. In Germany a computer simulation proved the ball had not crossed the line.
A similiar English simulation proved it was definitely a goal.
Maybe the fact that the 'Russian' linesman (actually Azerbaijani) lost many of his family in German labour camps may have slightly influenced his decision!
If the late Alan Ball had just stuck the rebound into the net and not appealed for a goal instead, the whole debate could have been avoided and Geoff Hurst would not be the only player to have a World Cup Final hat-trick.

Or even Mike's brother, Roger Hunt who just appealed instead of sticking the ball in the net.

cope1

Jun 29, 2010, 10:14 PM

Post #12 of 20 (7975 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I think the 5 officials idea is a complete waste of time myself. I haven't seen any indication in the Europa League that it improved things and, if it were employed in domestic games, how many officials will be pushed up to add that tiny bit of improvement to Premier/Football League games taking officials away from non-league games?

zebedee
First Team Star

Jun 30, 2010, 11:28 AM

Team(s): Southport

Post #13 of 20 (7950 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Germany a bit sloppy in defence ?. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I think the 5 officials idea is a complete waste of time myself. I haven't seen any indication in the Europa League that it improved things and, if it were employed in domestic games, how many officials will be pushed up to add that tiny bit of improvement to Premier/Football League games taking officials away from non-league games?

I think the goalkeepers quite like having someone to chat to when the action is at the other end of the field. Personally I think an extensive trial of microchipped balls would be a good idea (by extensive meaning over a league campaign in several countries, not just the finals of the under 17 World Cup).

UKPunk

Jun 30, 2010, 8:34 PM

Post #14 of 20 (7914 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zebedee] Germany a bit sloppy in defence ?. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I think the goalkeepers quite like having someone to chat to when the action is at the other end of the field. Personally I think an extensive trial of microchipped balls would be a good idea (by extensive meaning over a league campaign in several countries, not just the finals of the under 17 World Cup).

I can think of other microchipped balls. We could microchip the England players so they have the balls to turn up when they play a decent side. Crazy

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

rainjar
First Team Star

Jul 2, 2010, 2:38 PM

Post #15 of 20 (7872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Germany a bit sloppy in defence ?. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ballack injury a blessing in disguise, says Lothar Matthaus.

If only it had been Terry and/or Lampard injured in the FA Cup Final, not Ballack, eh. Wink

Football Insights

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Jul 3, 2010, 1:13 AM

Post #16 of 20 (7844 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Germany a bit sloppy in defence ?. [In reply to] Can't Post or

Why, so Upson could have got England eliminated even earlier?

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

rainjar
First Team Star

Jul 3, 2010, 3:49 AM

Post #17 of 20 (7840 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tivvy_Al] Germany a bit sloppy in defence ?. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

According to Matthaus:
"I don't mean that in a spiteful way, but Ballack was arguably holding up a number of players who've now blossomed.

Each of them has taken on a little more responsibility. Germany are playing with far more pace."
However, given Capello's mindset coming into the World Cup Finals, he might have tried to bring Sol Campbell out of retirement, and tried harder to get Paul Scholes to make a comeback, if Terry or Lampard had been unavailable through injury.

My comment wasn't directed at Terry or Lampard in particular - it could have been any other senior player in the England side - just that Terry and Lampard were in the same Chelsea side that played in the FA Cup Final as Ballack.

The loss of a senior player can be an opportunity to bring through younger players. In the case of Capello, he stuck with senior players who weren't fully fit on other experienced players who hadn't previously proven themselves against top opposition. Having a great game against Belarus, Kazakhstan or Andorra doesn't count for much.

The conduct (whether alleged or undisputed) of some of these senior players should force Capello to change his approach, now that he's been given a second chance.

Football Insights

rainjar
First Team Star

Jul 18, 2010, 6:53 PM

Post #18 of 20 (7679 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Germany a bit sloppy in defence ?. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

... given Capello's mindset coming into the World Cup Finals, he might have ... tried harder to get Paul Scholes to make a comeback .....

Not that far off the mark then.

Football Insights

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Jul 18, 2010, 7:06 PM

Post #19 of 20 (7675 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Germany a bit sloppy in defence ?. [In reply to] Can't Post or

Trusted sources...
A highly-placed source...
The source close to Capello...

Too much source and not enough meat in that little ditty from the Mirror comic for my liking.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 5, 2016, 12:23 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #20 of 20 (4754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Germany a bit sloppy in defence ?. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Oh, I think we do know

We do now - on tonight's Monday Night Football 1966 special, Sky proved it crossed the line: http://www.skysports.com/...r-the-mnf-microscope

After a 50 year wait, no harm in digging up a six year old thread to put the issue to rest! Though some may remain sceptical....
Wink

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Jan 5, 2016, 12:40 AM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3