Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Boycott FIFA Sponsors?

rainjar
First Team Star

Jun 16, 2010, 5:04 PM

Post #1 of 10 (2258 views)
Shortcut
Boycott FIFA Sponsors? Can't Post or Reply Privately

After reading the article below from South Africa's "The Mercury", I can't imagine myself purchasing a product or services from any of FIFA's sponsors for the 2010 World Cup for the foreseeable future.

Not that it will make any difference to them. Tongue

The car analogy is particularly poor.

Football Insights

VP
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 16, 2010, 9:28 PM

Post #2 of 10 (2232 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Boycott FIFA Sponsors? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A little tale told to me by someone.

When they were building the new Wembley Stadium some toilets had been installed which had the manufacturer's name on them which was a breach of the contract so they had to rip them out and put unbranded ones in. I think some electrical cabling also had to be replaced due to a brand name showing where it shouldn't.

Perhaps next time someone goes to Wembley they can check the urinals to see if this could really be true.

cope1

Jun 17, 2010, 11:43 PM

Post #3 of 10 (2155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Boycott FIFA Sponsors? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So basically a one-sided article from a reporter who clearly doesn't like the sponsorship thing.

Frankly I get a bit sick of it all really. It may not be as 'organic' as some people would like, but it pays for the tournament. You can't fairly ask the sponsors to pay the money they pay if you're going to let various other companies slip in 'accidentally'.

Personally I don't see why it's such a big deal.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 17, 2010, 11:48 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #4 of 10 (2150 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Boycott FIFA Sponsors? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It becomes an issue when fans are made to change their normal behaviour or attire when that is often held up as part of their "quirky nature".

I've been to big games with Ireland where fans were not allowed in wearing their Guinness hats which are hugely popular among our support. And rightly so - think Ireland and the first product that comes to mind is Guinness. It caused a right old hoo-hah with large numbers who are in the main a placid bunch.

Will the Dutch masses be turned away because their orange attire happens to be someone else's corporate image?

rainjar
First Team Star

Jun 18, 2010, 7:22 AM

Post #5 of 10 (2122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Boycott FIFA Sponsors? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There are widely recognized laws that provide reasonable protection to property rights, including intellectual property and goodwill.

As part of the process of awarding tournaments, FIFA (and the IOC) have had the domestic laws of the countries concerned changed to afford themselves far greater protection, at the expense of the personal freedoms of the general population.
"The manufacturer of a keyring holder was taken to court because it bore the year "2010", a vuvuzela and the South African flag."
There needs to be a balance. It has been lost.

Football Insights

(This post was edited by rainjar on Jun 18, 2010, 10:01 AM)

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 18, 2010, 10:11 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #6 of 10 (2095 views)
Shortcut

Of course, some companies will try it on because of the subsequent publicity.
Bavaria, the brewers of an insipid and unpleasant beer, get more publicity from the gear being banned than they do from it being worn - and the Netherlands supporters still wear orange to matches.
Meanwhile, I bet a court case against the airline declaring itself to be the "unofficial carriers of you-know-what" do well out of publicity for the court case. It is unlikely that they were fined millions of pounds - more likely the worst case would have been to be forced to withdraw the adverts.
Indeed, the artlicle does not mention if the courts supported some of the bans.

In 2002, for matches played in Korea, you were not allowed to take cans and bottles into the stadiums. More a security than a branding issue. But the organisers realised that people would want to take drinks in, and allowed them to decant their drinks into paper cups, (with lids). These were conveniently decorated with the brand name of a sponsor.

One of the things the sponsor had paid for was the exclusive right to sell merchandise within the stadium areas.

At least the sponsor who manufactured film and cameras did not ask to check the manufacturer of the camera I had with me, or of the film in the camera.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

rainjar
First Team Star

Jun 18, 2010, 11:11 AM

Post #7 of 10 (2074 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Boycott FIFA Sponsors? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The quality of Bavaria's beer (or the lack of it Sly) is not relevant.

Why can't a group of women (whose attractiveness may not be entirely irrelevant Wink) wear orange to a football match?

Why should that basic act be criminalized under the laws of any country merely because it is instigated by a beer company that is a competitor to a FIFA sponsor?

We take a step closer to Thoughtcrime each day.

Football Insights

(This post was edited by rainjar on Jun 18, 2010, 11:34 AM)

Isaac

Jun 18, 2010, 11:22 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #8 of 10 (2068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Boycott FIFA Sponsors? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In 2002, for matches played in Korea, you were not allowed to take cans and bottles into the stadiums. More a security than a branding issue. But the organisers realised that people would want to take drinks in, and allowed them to decant their drinks into paper cups, (with lids). These were conveniently decorated with the brand name of a sponsor.

It's the same at Wembley although they've not yet cottoned onto the idea of putting brand names onto the plastic cups..............but give them time!

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

Jun 18, 2010, 1:13 PM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #9 of 10 (2043 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Boycott FIFA Sponsors? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This kind of thing has happened to my good self before. At the 2007 Cricket World Cup, I wore a Grimsby top to the England v New Zealand match in St. Lucia. As it had (very small I have to say) Coca-Cola League badges on it on either arm, I was told I had to turn it inside out! If you ask me, that is ridiculous! So after turning it inside out, as soon as I got in I reversed it! "You can't wear that in here, it's a Pepsi zone."

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 18, 2010, 10:13 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #10 of 10 (2000 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Why can't a group of women (whose attractiveness may not be entirely irrelevant Wink) wear orange to a football match?

IIRC that bunch of Germans who turned up in branded lederhosen were made to watch the game in their underwear.

Where's the consistency???

Mad

Wink

Last new ground (848): Giant Axe - Lancaster v Stourbridge 23/11/19
Last game: as above
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal, Czech Republic, Bulgaria

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3