Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
england world cup squad

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

garethwrexy
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 1, 2010, 5:15 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #1 of 47 (2952 views)
Shortcut
england world cup squad Can't Post or Reply Privately

Goalkeepers
Robert Green, Joe Hart, David James
Defenders
Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock
Midfielders
Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips
Forwards
Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

villahopper
First Team Star

Jun 1, 2010, 6:13 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Bromsgrove Sporting New York Jets

Post #2 of 47 (2940 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] england world cup squad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So much for picking players who are fit and in form

sandhurstbee

Jun 1, 2010, 10:11 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #3 of 47 (2913 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] england world cup squad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

You`ve got Heskey in Tongue

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

Isaac

Jun 1, 2010, 10:56 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #4 of 47 (2896 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] england world cup squad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't think Carragher should be going having previously 'retired', but having sat back and watched everyone else get us through the qualifiers he now decides he wants some glory

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 1, 2010, 11:45 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #5 of 47 (2886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] england world cup squad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I agree. Only players that would have been able to play in a game today should have been selected. Too often we've suffered from taking injured players to tournaments.

Last new ground (848): Giant Axe - Lancaster v Stourbridge 23/11/19
Last game: as above
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal, Czech Republic, Bulgaria

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 2, 2010, 12:20 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #6 of 47 (2877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] england world cup squad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I don't think Carragher should be going having previously 'retired', but having sat back and watched everyone else get us through the qualifiers he now decides he wants some glory

And he's gonna find that where ?Tongue

grumpydwarf
First Team Star

Jun 2, 2010, 7:58 AM

Team(s): non-league football

Post #7 of 47 (2846 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] england world cup squad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mr Buncrana`s cynical final comment leads me nicely into asking what do posters feel success is for this England squad; my feeling is that to be classed as a success we have to reach the semi-finals; anything less is a failure...the final stage would be a tremendous bonus

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 2, 2010, 9:12 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #8 of 47 (2841 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grumpydwarf] england world cup squad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

When one looks at the names in the squad, it is difficult to over do the optimism. The back five (including keeper), however constituted looks fragile, liable to be outmanouvred by players with invention and flare. The forwards lack punch, the midfield lacks guile. And yet this is a solid enough unit and should easily make it until the going starts to get tough - depending on how the opposition does, we can reach the quarter or semi finals.

The team should be well marshalled by Capello, and ready for the competition - and cannot see many alternative choices that would do better than those picked.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

UKPunk

Jun 2, 2010, 2:02 PM

Post #9 of 47 (2812 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grumpydwarf] england world cup squad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Mr Buncrana`s cynical final comment leads me nicely into asking what do posters feel success is for this England squad; my feeling is that to be classed as a success we have to reach the semi-finals; anything less is a failure...the final stage would be a tremendous bonus

Winning it. Who was it who said first is first, second is nowhere?

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

villahopper
First Team Star

Jun 2, 2010, 3:48 PM

Post #10 of 47 (2801 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Getting through the whole tournament without shagging someone else's wife would be success

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 2, 2010, 4:49 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #11 of 47 (2779 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Getting through the whole tournament without shagging someone else's wife would be success

Isn't that a little too much insight into your private life ? Casey Jones would never have stooped so low Tongue

Isaac

Jun 2, 2010, 5:24 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #12 of 47 (2768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] england world cup squad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hopefully Mr Cappelo will ensure there is no distraction from the WAG's.

I think anything less than winning the damn thing will be a failure, at very least beaten finalists and winning that rather pointless game for third place.

grumpydwarf
First Team Star

Jun 2, 2010, 6:15 PM

Team(s): non-league football

Post #13 of 47 (2753 views)
Shortcut

personally I found his selection very worrying; I would not have selected Barry; he won`t be fit for the first game at least and then he probably won`t be up to speed; I would not have even comtemplated Ledley King as his lack of training/fitness must be in question; I would not have selected Heskey or Warnock; Bent has a good goal scoring record this season; has Heskey? Warnock has little or no experience at this level, whereas Baines did at least feature in the warm up games; still I wish Capello all the best and hope my fears are proved wrong.

jrev61

Jun 2, 2010, 8:56 PM

Team(s): None

Post #14 of 47 (2721 views)
Shortcut

Winning a penalty shootout would constitute success as far as I'm concerned, especially if it's against Portugal or Germany.

jrev61

UKPunk

Jun 2, 2010, 9:27 PM

Post #15 of 47 (2711 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] england world cup squad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Winning a penalty shootout would constitute success as far as I'm concerned, especially if it's against Portugal or Germany.

Now you're asking for miracles!! Tongue

AussieWhoosh
Youth Team Regular

Jun 3, 2010, 5:04 AM

Team(s): See below

Post #16 of 47 (2678 views)
Shortcut

Winning the World Cup would be the only way to be classed succesful.
But unfortunately for England, there is AUSTRALIA standing in its way. Once we whoop the Germans, Serbs and the Ghanians, then we will walk to the final against further meagre opposition. Do we fear anyone..yes..only NEW ZEALAND

Cheers,

Darren in Australia

My teams: Chelsea, Bromley, Spalding United, Pinchbeck United, Cemaes (WAL), Heart of Midlothian (SCO), St Etienne (FRA), Borussia Moenchengladbach (GER), Deportivo La Caruna (ESP), Alma SC (Australia), Silver City Strikers (Australia),Thika United (Kenya). Founder and chairman of Alma Makogeni Sports Club (Kenya)

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 3, 2010, 10:00 AM

Post #17 of 47 (2646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AussieWhoosh] england world cup squad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Winning the World Cup would be the only way to be classed succesful.
But unfortunately for England, there is AUSTRALIA standing in its way. Once we whoop the Germans, Serbs and the Ghanians, then we will walk to the final against further meagre opposition. Do we fear anyone..yes..only NEW ZEALAND

Cheers,

Darren in Australia

A message like that deserves plenty of smiliesSmileWinkTongueCoolBlushAngelicCrazyShockedLaughSly

Fat AND Pompous.

dottirofhod

Jun 3, 2010, 10:11 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #18 of 47 (2645 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AussieWhoosh] england world cup squad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Darren,
your moniker says it all , you will soon be out .
Have a tinnie on me (alcohol not cannabis)

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 127 / 107 / 20 / 5 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 07 / 12 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-1-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

villahopper
First Team Star

Jun 3, 2010, 11:44 AM

Post #19 of 47 (2627 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
personally I found his selection very worrying; I would not have selected Barry; he won`t be fit for the first game at least and then he probably won`t be up to speed; I would not have even comtemplated Ledley King as his lack of training/fitness must be in question; I would not have selected Heskey or Warnock; Bent has a good goal scoring record this season; has Heskey? Warnock has little or no experience at this level, whereas Baines did at least feature in the warm up games; still I wish Capello all the best and hope my fears are proved wrong.

Warnock I dont understand as he has been poor for Villa in the run in. But a few papers have been reporting Baines has said he didnt want to travel as he feared he would get homesick. If thats the case then I can see why he has taken Warnock. As for Heskey. Well to be honest his last dozen or so games for Villa he has played well. He will never get lots of goals but thats not his game. So to suggest Bent instead in my mind is comparing eggs with oranges. He played the entire qualifying campaign so obviously Capello is a fan. But hey us internet warriors know much more about football than him

jon b
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 3, 2010, 1:23 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #20 of 47 (2608 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Bit harsh on Carragher.

I understood Capello took a long, hard look at the players he'd used through the qualifying campaign and decided he had to ask Jamie C to come out of international retirement for the Finals. It probably says more about the lack of top class defenders from the Premier League available to the England Boss .

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Jun 3, 2010, 3:09 PM

Post #21 of 47 (2597 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villahopper] england world cup squad [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
But a few papers have been reporting Baines has said he didnt want to travel as he feared he would get homesick

If that is true then at least Baines deserves some credit for his honesty. I was surprised that Spain decided that Jesus Navas would be a suitable member of their squad - if he travels more than 50 miles from Sevilla he seems to get nauseous.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 3, 2010, 3:12 PM

Post #22 of 47 (2595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tivvy_Al] england world cup squad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Full England World Cup squad numbers
1. David James
2. Glen Johnson
3. Ashley Cole
4. Steven Gerrard
5. Rio Ferdinand
6. John Terry
7. Aaron Lennon
8. Frank Lampard
9. Peter Crouch
10. Wayne Rooney
11. Joe Cole
12. Robert Green
13. Stephen Warnock
14. Gareth Barry
15. Matthew Upson
16. James Milner
17. Shaun Wright-Phillips
18. Jamie Carragher
19. Jermain Defoe
20. Ledley King
21. Emile Heskey
22. Michael Carrick
23. Joe Hart

Fat AND Pompous.

villahopper
First Team Star

Jun 3, 2010, 3:14 PM

Post #23 of 47 (2592 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tivvy_Al] england world cup squad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
But a few papers have been reporting Baines has said he didnt want to travel as he feared he would get homesick

If that is true then at least Baines deserves some credit for his honesty. I was surprised that Spain decided that Jesus Navas would be a suitable member of their squad - if he travels more than 50 miles from Sevilla he seems to get nauseous.

100% agree. At least he has put himself and his family ahead of anything else and in this day and age that should be applauded

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Jun 3, 2010, 8:55 PM

Post #24 of 47 (2557 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
As for Heskey. Well to be honest his last dozen or so games for Villa he has played well. He will never get lots of goals but thats not his game. /reply]

I love this sort of excuse for an overrated underperforming donkey. Although in fairness I couldn't do much if I was pulling a cart behind me.

No, the excuse reminds me of what Barry Mcguigan said about Audrey Harrison, "there's nothing wrong with one man not wanting to punch another. Unless you're a boxer"

UKPunk

Jun 3, 2010, 11:07 PM

Post #25 of 47 (2530 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garrincha's dog] england world cup squad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So would you have taken Bent instead and if so do you think he is capable of scoring goals at international level?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3