Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 5, 2012, 11:40 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #26 of 45 (1256 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Cheats [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Certainly not an intentional dive for me, the clown just lost his feet and fell over. He'd actually showed good balance to get in that position, but what happened afterwards was laughable. Oh dear King Kenny, 35 Million for that, OUCH.

It looked to me like he tried to trail his leg so that it was in a position where it would make contact with the keeper and prompt a penalty but did it so incompetently that all he achieved was a loss of balance. That's cheating for me. Well done the ref.

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 9, 2012, 7:59 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #27 of 45 (1183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Cheats [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ashley Young shows that cheats prosper!

As play had stopped anyway why couldn't TV replays be used? QPR would get a free kick for offside. Derry doesn't get sent off and Young gets booked (or better still sent off) for cheating, simple!

cope1

Apr 9, 2012, 9:29 AM

Post #28 of 45 (1175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Cheats [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The thing that annoyed me about that most was Robby Savage condemning the dive, while also admitting he dived in his time.

TV replays aside, I thought it was a lot closer than the pundits gave it credit for. By the time the ball was anywhere near Young he was more or less level and, as the attackers are supposed to receive the benefit of any doubt, the lino was within his rights to play on.

That said, very harsh on QPR and it would be an improvement if a panel could look at such instances and (a) ban Welbeck but also (b) rescind the card given to Derry. As it is I expect he won't be allowed to appeal against it because the appeal would involve pointing out the offside error.

Isaac

Apr 9, 2012, 10:02 AM

Post #29 of 45 (1165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Cheats [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You find Robbie Savage annoying? Surely not? Wink In fairness he did say he was ashamed of it, and so he should be, and it would have been nice to hear Ashley Young come on camera and say that after the game.

Even if Derry's red card is rescinded the damage has already been done, had the penalty not been given and QPR kept 11 men on the pitch who knows what the outcome might have been?

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 9, 2012, 11:18 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #30 of 45 (1154 views)
Shortcut

"who knows what the outcome might have been"

2-0 to United..dur

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

Isaac

Apr 9, 2012, 11:30 AM

Post #31 of 45 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Cheats [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
"who knows what the outcome might have been"

2-0 to United..dur

ReallyShocked? Do you also know next Wednesdays lotto numbers?

jon b
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 9, 2012, 9:38 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #32 of 45 (1121 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The thing that annoyed me about that most was Robby Savage condemning the dive, while also admitting he dived in his time.

TV replays aside, I thought it was a lot closer than the pundits gave it credit for. By the time the ball was anywhere near Young he was more or less level and, as the attackers are supposed to receive the benefit of any doubt, the lino was within his rights to play on.

That said, very harsh on QPR and it would be an improvement if a panel could look at such instances and (a) ban Welbeck but also (b) rescind the card given to Derry. As it is I expect he won't be allowed to appeal against it because the appeal would involve pointing out the offside error.

Let's hope Robbie isn't going to repent and apologise for all his misdeeds. We'd be stuck with him on screen for days.

richiejenn
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2012, 11:40 AM

Team(s):

Post #33 of 45 (1094 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Cheats [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Let's hope Robbie isn't going to repent and apologise for all his misdeeds. We'd be stuck with him on screen for days.

I thought we already were stuck with him! Savage did imply that he wouldnt have admitted diving during his career, but can for those now paying his wages.

Ropemaker

Apr 10, 2012, 7:09 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #34 of 45 (1065 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Ashley Young shows that cheats prosper!

As play had stopped anyway why couldn't TV replays be used? QPR would get a free kick for offside. Derry doesn't get sent off and Young gets booked (or better still sent off) for cheating, simple!

Re: TV Replays

What if the ref doesn't given the penalty (correctly) and the defending team start a quick attack?

Would we have to stop the game to confirm the ref's decision or ... what?

We can't really wait til the ball next goes out of play. It could be in the net at the other end.

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

cope1

Apr 10, 2012, 7:32 PM

Post #35 of 45 (1059 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Cheats [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This is the biggest argument against. My main issue with a lot of people of argue for it is that they seem to think it will resolve all disputes when it won't reduce them a tat in my opinion. What will happen is the video ref will come in for criticism for interpreting what we can all see differently from us.

Isaac

Apr 10, 2012, 8:05 PM

Post #36 of 45 (1049 views)
Shortcut

But in Man Utd v QPR game play was stopped and within seconds TV viewers can see that Young dived, why shouldn't the referee be made aware of that?

It should also go a long way to stopping cheats diving.

cope1

Apr 10, 2012, 11:05 PM

Post #37 of 45 (1030 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
But in Man Utd v QPR game play was stopped and within seconds TV viewers can see that Young dived, why shouldn't the referee be made aware of that?

But then you have an immediate inconsistency. Let's say it was a penalty but the ref didn't give it. When does he stop play to ask the video ref for an opinion. or are you suggesting the video ref tells him without being asked which, in my opinion, would be a recipe for chaos.

Isaac

Apr 11, 2012, 1:38 PM

Post #38 of 45 (994 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

But then you have an immediate inconsistency. Let's say it was a penalty but the ref didn't give it. When does he stop play to ask the video ref for an opinion. or are you suggesting the video ref tells him without being asked which, in my opinion, would be a recipe for chaos.

Well if the ref was in any doubt he should stop play immediately and asks the video ref, I know people say it will disrupt the game but in most cases it would take just a few seconds. If it is not a penalty then restart with a free kick to the defending team, basically a goal kick, and of course take appropriate action against any divers.

ictoan
First Team Regular

Apr 11, 2012, 4:02 PM

Team(s):

Post #39 of 45 (983 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Well if the ref was in any doubt he should stop play immediately and asks the video ref, I know people say it will disrupt the game but in most cases it would take just a few seconds. If it is not a penalty then restart with a free kick to the defending team, basically a goal kick, and of course take appropriate action against any divers.

If video refs in Rugby matches are anything to go by then it will take more than a few seconds.

There 'Ant no place like Sussex, until you goes above, 'Cause Sussex will be Sussex and Sussex wunt be druv.

The North begins at Gatwick.

Isaac

Apr 11, 2012, 4:18 PM

Post #40 of 45 (978 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ictoan] Cheats [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm not really a rugby fan although I have watched some of the Heinekin Cup action recently and it seems to work quite well.

Wasn't Zidane sent off for his infamous headbutt in the 2006 World Cup final on video evidence?

ictoan
First Team Regular

Apr 11, 2012, 4:32 PM

Team(s):

Post #41 of 45 (976 views)
Shortcut

I was at a drunken village party at the time so remember the sending off and the head butt but can't remeber the mechanics of the referee's action.

Coming back to Rugby, when the match ref asks the video ref if a try has been scored, the amount of time needed, in the matches I have viewed (on TV), seems to last as long as a time out in American Football while the video is run through many tmes so that a mistake is not made.

A match referee only has a split second to view an incident and make a decision even if he is wrong. A video ref would not have that defence so has to be certain. Think ofwhat happens on programmes like Match Of The Day when incidents are run and re-run on your TV screen.

There 'Ant no place like Sussex, until you goes above, 'Cause Sussex will be Sussex and Sussex wunt be druv.

The North begins at Gatwick.

Isaac

Apr 15, 2012, 8:18 PM

Post #42 of 45 (924 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ictoan] Cheats [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And another blatant dive from Ashley Young, its just blatant cheating

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Apr 15, 2012, 8:42 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #43 of 45 (919 views)
Shortcut

Ashley Young was only getting in some extra training before the Olympic Diving competition.Wink

Red Adder
Youth Team Star

Apr 17, 2012, 9:14 AM

Post #44 of 45 (869 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Cheats [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can't see any refs giving him the benefit of the doubt in future - should give defenders almost carte blanche to do anything to stop him and then wander away miming the diving action - and frankly the cheat doesn't deserve any better.

Isaac

Apr 17, 2012, 11:25 AM

Post #45 of 45 (853 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Red Adder] Cheats [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Can't see any refs giving him the benefit of the doubt in future - should give defenders almost carte blanche to do anything to stop him and then wander away miming the diving action - and frankly the cheat doesn't deserve any better.

I hope you're right although I'm suprised Mark Halsey fell for it after Young's dive against QPR.

It will only stop when the FA act, give Young a three match ban and dock Man Utd three points for failing to control their player

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3