Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Sunday 1st November

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 1, 2009, 5:52 PM

Post #1 of 10 (4293 views)
Shortcut
Sunday 1st November Can't Post or

The Wanderers (1) 1
Oxford University Old Boys (5) 11

@ Iffley Road

Programme see - http://web.me.com/..._FC/Club_Events.html

Att 16

The Wanderers first game in 126 years ended in a 11-1 defeat. To be fair OUOB looked quite a good side and one blond player who scored numberous goals looked though he should (or does) play at a decent level.

Shame despite a number of plugs in various places only a handful of people turned up.

Like the OUOB it was an Sunday afternoon stroll for me living just over a mile from the ground, though I did not do it in under 4 minutes.

PJ
First Team Star

Nov 1, 2009, 9:07 PM

Team(s): Cogenhoe United/QPR/Npton Tn

Post #2 of 10 (4197 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Sunday 1st November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Northants Sunday Conference-Premier
RAILWAY TAVERN 1 DUSTON BARNSTORMERS 5
Att 8 (6 hardy souls pitchside and two wimps in the car)
A horrendous morning at the Far Cotton REC, so a big well done to both sides just for turning up. All the goals coming with the wind and down the hill, 0-5 at the break with Tavern winning the second half 1-0. Sadly they remain pointless but it would be great to see my old regular haunt turn things around before the end of the season. Perhaps their bright pink shirts aren't helping matters!!

NFA Under 18's Cup-2
MOULTON MAGPIES 1 RUSHDEN & DIAMONDS 8
Goals from Sam Watkins and Ben Sparrow (cracking goal) seperated the two sides at the break, although Josh Harnden was extremely unlucky not to equalise when his 30 yard effort hit the bar. The Diamonds stepped up a gear after the restart and were five up by 52 mins. Two Lewis Wilson efforts sandwiching a Jordan Pendered strike. Dan Raymond restored some pride for Maggies with a neat finish, but a Liam Read penalty, followed by second goals for Watkins and Read giving the R&D boys an emphatic victory (although it was close compared to their 25-0 win in the previous round).

andysanktpauli
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 1, 2009, 10:10 PM

Team(s): Ramsgate,FC St Pauli,Tranmere Rovers

Post #3 of 10 (4159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Sunday 1st November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was also at Iffley Road for this one having travelled from Ramsgate !

Must agree that it was a shame that more people didn't turn up considering it was
a pleasant afternoon(more so than i left London)

Was a nice change to watch a game played in an excellent spirit with very few free-kicks
and David Elleray barely had anything to do throughout the game, save giving a pen to the
Wanderers and two(was it two ?) to the hosts.

Must admit that i was glad Mr Elleray did blow up a couple of mins early and this meant that
i managed to get an earlier train back to London and avoid the mayhem around Reading station.

A grand afternoon out though.

@Acmold, were you one of the two gents standing at the back ?

Thanks for the prog info..

Grounds Visited; 977

Last ground, Peckham Town, Menace Arena
Peckham Town 3 Metrogas 0

AndrewG
First Team Star

Nov 2, 2009, 12:07 AM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 10 (4127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andysanktpauli] Sunday 1st November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Blackpool and Fylde Sunday Alliance Premier Division
Fylde Coast Gates 4 Poulton Youth 10
Attendance - 10 (estimate)

One of those days when things went anything but according to plan, but turned out OK in the end. I headed to Blackpool for the Lancashire FA Sunday Trophy tie of the round between Quilligans and Copper Pot, knowing that games being called off for waterlogging at Collins Park are virtually unheard of. That is until today - either someone overreacted to the heavy morning rain and made an early decision with the visitors travelling from Rochdale, they didn't want to play today for some reason, or Fleetwood Town's involvement here now sees them have the say in when games can be played.

Fortunately, six league games were taking place on the adjoining Common Edge playing fields, a new venue for me to watch a game at, where there are nine full sized and two junior football pitches as well as one rugby pitch. The downpour had more or else stopped by kick off time, and the pitches were firm and dry, not surprising as beneath a couple of inches of top soil is nothing but sand. With absolutely no preparation in terms of who stood where in the league tables, I chose this game on pitch 2 as it was the only Premier Division fixture taking place.

Fylde Coast Gates were promoted as last season's Division One champions, but are finding life in the top flight tough, whilst it turned out victory for Poulton would take them top of a very tightly contested division. They were Lancashire Sunday Trophy semi-finalists in 2008, and their unusual name comes as a result of being the open age set up of a club with teams at various age levels, and not as a reflection of the ages of their squad.

A blustery cross wind doesn't stop a cracker of a first half, with Poulton leading 4-3 at the interval. It is 4-4 35 seconds into the second half, but suddenly the wind switches to blow in straight off the sea, and increases significantly in strength. With the elements now directly behind Poulton, the outcome is somewhat inevitable. I won't bore you with details of all the goalscorers, but former Fleetwood Town man Lee Catlow led the way with four. The second half conditions were amongst the worst I have ever seen football played in, but all six games here were completed, although I am sure they would not have started had the wind been blowing so strongly at 11am. Certainly a memorable game, and unusual, though not unique, in having more goals than spectators.

It was something of a relieve to retreate to the shelter of The Shovels, for an excellent Sunday lunch washed down with a pint of Shovels Best Bitter, a first venture into brewing his own ale for landlord Steve Norris in conjunction with Lytham Brewery. It was also the last day of the Shovels 13th Beer Festival, and with all festival ales on sale at half price it would have been rude not to partake. A pint of Hill Island Brewery (from Durham) Red Hills and a pint of Blackawton Brewery (from Saltash) Moorland Ale rounded off a pleasant day despite the weather's worst efforts.

One final thought - if you thought I was crazy for watching football on an exposed field in Blackpool on a day like today - I couldn't help but notice several hundred people strolling on the promenade as I took the bus ride back into town. Now that really does take some explaining - the phrase 'blowing away the cobwebs' doesn't even begin to be adequate.

acmold

Nov 2, 2009, 10:15 AM

Post #5 of 10 (4084 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andysanktpauli] Sunday 1st November [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Was also at Iffley Road for this one having travelled from Ramsgate !

Must agree that it was a shame that more people didn't turn up considering it was
a pleasant afternoon(more so than i left London)

Was a nice change to watch a game played in an excellent spirit with very few free-kicks
and David Elleray barely had anything to do throughout the game, save giving a pen to the
Wanderers and two(was it two ?) to the hosts.

Must admit that i was glad Mr Elleray did blow up a couple of mins early and this meant that
i managed to get an earlier train back to London and avoid the mayhem around Reading station.

A grand afternoon out though.

@Acmold, were you one of the two gents standing at the back ?

Thanks for the prog info..

I was one of the two at the back, the other was Gerry from Eastleigh.

The prog is in PDF format and to print if off correctly you need to print it in "booklet format", if you change from front only to back only you can get it printed (and backed) quite well, doing it a page at a time seems the best way to do it. It's not a bad prog actually. First time I have ever got a prog at the Iffley Rd, I've seen games there since 1976.

Mr Elleray only played 42 minutes in the first half as well. I thought OUOB were very good, I'm sure they would beat the current "Blues XI".

A interesting fact about the Iffley Road stand is that it has a capacity of 499, so to comply with "regulations" and safety of grounds etc, that's why the back rows of seats are now behind the "Muriel" - C B Fry's on it. Wigan Robin Park's stand has 999 seats and AFC Wulfrunians is one under a round number, if any one of them added that extra seat it would cost them 's in insurance premiums, etc.

Hope the Wanderers keep going, seems a good cause.

sanktpaulee
Deleted

Nov 2, 2009, 11:28 AM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 10 (4061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Sunday 1st November [In reply to] Can't Post or

Cardiff City 1-1 Nottingham Forest
Championship
Entry 24
Programme 3
Crowd 20413

A pretty entertaining game, with both sides intent on attacking. McGoldrick put Forest's best chance narrowly wide in the first half, while at the other end Camp made 3 good saves. Bothroyd broke the deadlock with a cool finish midway through the second half, and although Forest did push forward they never really troubled Marshall. Until McGugan hammered home from 10 yards in the 92nd minute. As I was in the home end I am rather pleased I managed to contain myself!!!! Haha

Twitter: @LeeWest1865
http://groundhopping.forumup.co.uk

Chris1963

Nov 2, 2009, 3:11 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #7 of 10 (3981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sanktpaulee] Sunday 1st November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I would have gone to Cardiff had it not been for the 5pm kick-off, as I prefer to arrive at a new ground in daylight. Instead I made a trip to Italy - not enough time to post about this right now but will do one later when time allows.

fredkirkbytown
Reserve Team Star

Nov 2, 2009, 6:50 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 10 (3892 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndrewG] Sunday 1st November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What we football nuts will do to watch a game of football.
I set out with Kirkby Town GM Andy C,Falcons manager Mel
and Falcons player Kyle Ludlow(who was my man of the match
for Kirkby Towns CMFL game the previous day) at about 9.30am to
The Manor at Mansfield Woodhouse,for;
Mansfield Sunday League Premier Cup Round 2.
William IV v Kirkby Town Falcons.
Absolutely lashing it down,we was expecting a wasted journey.
We got there around 10 and the burger van had gone/or not turned up.
The ref,who had been linesman at our CMFL game, inspected pitch 7
where our game was taking place,it had eased off slightly and ref said
it was playable,only for the Manor Complex to announce all games off.
Meanwhile the players and ref of the game on pitch 6;
Mansfield Sunday League Intermediate Cup Round 2.
Sutton Plant Utd v Mason Arms.
Insisted that their game was going ahead anyway.
Apparently it went ahead 30 minutes a half.
We drove back to Kirkby and arrived at Titchfield Park just
before 11am to watch;
Mansfield Sunday League D6(7th tier).
Annesley Park Athletic v Shirebrook RBL "C".
Here we intended watching a couple of ex Falcon players,
One didn't turn up he was unwell,but Bedge was there having
a good game.Mel and Andy C recognised a couple of other players
including "Piggy" on the right wing.
We had doubled the Attendance from 4 to 8.
It was still raining but the main problem was now a cold wind.
We had a phone call that a friend Geoff Bottomore was making
his debut for the Countryman up at Kingsway Park.
So just 16 minutes into the Annesley game we headed up there,
at least we would get a cup of tea/coffee from the excellent Cafe
on the park.
We arrived at Kingsway Park(pitch 2) about 11.25 for;
Mansfield Sunday League D4(5th tier)
Countryman v Kings Arms.
Att:21 Coffee:70p.
Surprised to find unbeaten Countryman 0-3 down.
They scored a good goal to make it 1-3 at ht.
Arrived back from cafe just in time to see Countryman number 11
send in a superb corner on to the head of number 9 who scored
what i thought was 2-3 and so beginnings of a comeback, but
i was told that i'd missed a Kings goal so it was 2-4.
The Wind was blowing very hard now.And i was absolute sodden,
i was struggling to get me lighter workin'.
The other Falcolners left before the end of the game.
I obviously stayed to watch the game finish 2-5.
And got back home about 1.30pm.After only seeing 3 goals.
A new (park) pitch tick for me,and yes i'm counting it.
I'd been past the pitch hundreds or maybe thousands of times,its
roughly the start of a pleasant walk to Portland Park,but i'd never
seen a football match played on that pitch.Just need pitch 3.

APL
First Team Star

Nov 2, 2009, 9:14 PM

Post #9 of 10 (3836 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fredkirkbytown] Sunday 1st November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

France Ligue 1
OGC Nice 1 Le Mans UC 72 0 Att.8,993
12 Euro admission
programme free

The Stade du Ray is easily reached by taking the tram towards La Planas, getting off at Du Ray, which is 200 yards from the ground.
The stadium is a bit of a dump, with a large seated main stand, then a terrace behind the right hand goal and temporary seated stands on the other two sides.
There are high security fences in front of the stands which is like going back to the eighties, and it is pretty obvious why Nice are trying to get a new ground.
Le Mans had just 15 supporters in the away section, with 10 Police to keep them company.
As for the match, the least said the better, with Le Mans reduced to 10 men after just 15 minutes and the only goal of the match headed home after 38 minutes.

2019/20
England 1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1

2019/20
Belgium (Pyramid = 1,484 1st teams) 0-0-2-5-8-21-173-303-254

http://www.hoppingacrossthepond.com

Chorley2002
First Team Star

Nov 5, 2009, 2:38 AM

Team(s): Ilford and Thorne Colliery.

Post #10 of 10 (3655 views)
Shortcut
Sunday 1st November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Eastern Junior Alliance.
Essex North U18 Division.
Bealonians 4 Ilford 0.

Redbridge Sports Centre Playing Fields,
Forest Road,
Barkingside,
Essex,
IG6 3HD.

Almost a totally one sided game. A definate fair result and would not have been an inustice if a few more goals had been scored by the home side. I was a fairly regular visitor to Ilford Youth home games prior to moving up north several years ago and the performance in this game by their side is by far the worst I've seen from their youth team. Even allowing for the poor conditions, the visitors were just plain garbage in this match and they must have had about four shots on goal all game.
Was 2-0 at half time. Then fairly late in the game two very quick goals (almost identical to the second goal scored direct from the restart in the previous days Arsenal V Tottenham match) killed this match off as a contest.
Despite the constant rainfall throughout, this was a good game to watch. Even if Ilford were completely outplayed.

Essex County Women's Football League
League Cup
Tigers 0 Barking Reserves 2.
Barking College Grounds.
Barking College,
Dagenham Road,
Romford,
Essex,
RM7 0XU.

The second of two new grounds in a day and I came here expecting a hefty away win following the short drive from the Redbridge Sports Centre.
Tigers were really up for this match and it was 0-0 at half time. Even an early goal for the visitors in the second half did not dent their confidence at all. In the later stages the visitors took over and only a fluke lob beat the Tigers keeper who despite being a bit on the large side was suprisingly nimble and pulled off some great saves. The 2-0 scoreline was a fair reflection of this match.

It has been a long time since I did two new grounds on a Sunday.

(This post was edited by Chorley2002 on Nov 5, 2009, 3:45 PM)
Attachments: Redbridge Sports Centre Grounds. 1st November 2009..jpg (47.2 KB)
  Redbridge Sports Centre Grounds. 1st November 2009. (2).jpg (54.7 KB)
  Redbridge Sports Centre Grounds. 1st November 2009. (4).jpg (48.3 KB)
  Redbridge Sports Centre Grounds. 1st November 2009. (5).jpg (43.1 KB)
  Redbridge Sports Centre Grounds. 1st November 2009. (6).jpg (45.9 KB)
  Redbridge Sports Centre Grounds. 1st November 2009. (8).jpg (91.0 KB)
  Redbridge Sports Centre Grounds. 1st November 2009. (11).jpg (65.8 KB)
  Redbridge Sports Centre Grounds. 1st November 2009. (13).jpg (44.9 KB)
  Redbridge Sports Centre Grounds. 1st November 2009. (16).jpg (67.1 KB)
  Redbridge Sports Centre Grounds. 1st November 2009. (18).jpg (95.4 KB)
  Redbridge Sports Centre Grounds. 1st November 2009. (21).jpg (94.1 KB)
  Redbridge Sports Centre Grounds. 1st November 2009. (22).jpg (42.4 KB)
  Barking College grounds. 1st November 2009..jpg (96.0 KB)
  Barking College grounds. 1st November 2009. (2).jpg (91.9 KB)
  Barking College grounds. 1st November 2009. (3).jpg (66.7 KB)
  Barking College grounds. 1st November 2009. (5).jpg (55.5 KB)
  Barking College grounds. 1st November 2009. (6).jpg (132 KB)
  Barking College grounds. 1st November 2009. (8).jpg (91.0 KB)
  Barking College grounds. 1st November 2009. (10).jpg (81.1 KB)
  Barking College grounds. 1st November 2009. (15).jpg (68.7 KB)
  Barking College grounds. 1st November 2009. (19).jpg (61.7 KB)
  Barking College grounds. 1st November 2009. (20).jpg (58.7 KB)
  Barking College grounds. 1st November 2009. (21).jpg (73.4 KB)
  Barking College grounds. 1st November 2009. (25).jpg (97.9 KB)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3