Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: General:
Gateshead FC to turn Professional?

ALSP8
Junior Team Regular

Oct 13, 2009, 12:13 PM

Team(s): Newcastle Utd Aberdeen England and Prudhoe Town

Post #1 of 19 (2499 views)
Shortcut
Gateshead FC to turn Professional? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just heard on Real Radio that Gateshead are to become a Professional club from start of next season, also have announced plans of their new 9000 seat stadium, have had a quick look for a link but unable to find one!

Sm1d
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 13, 2009, 7:39 PM

Team(s): Heed & Toon

Post #2 of 19 (2447 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALSP8] Gateshead FC to turn Professional? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes it's true, we'll also have a reserve side playing in the Central League next season.

http://www.gateshead-fc.com/news2.php?i=2457

http://100groundsclub.blogspot.co.uk

#HeedHopper

rdp
Youth Team Sub

Oct 13, 2009, 8:56 PM

Post #3 of 19 (2429 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sm1d] Gateshead FC to turn Professional? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Its like watching a Car Crash in slow motion. They need a nice fat reality check.

Sarumio
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 14, 2009, 8:32 AM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #4 of 19 (2385 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rdp] Gateshead FC to turn Professional? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

At least when Farsley announced the same thing when they were in the Conference they factored into the planning the fact that they might not stay up and that they wouldn't go through with the plan if the worse happened. The worse did happen and they went down (albeit only just!) and that still didn't stop the club running into massive problems financially.

I agree, Gateshead need a reality check - they just don't have the support to warrant this kind of move!

Mishi

Oct 14, 2009, 9:14 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #5 of 19 (2380 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Gateshead FC to turn Professional? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This is absolutely crazy!

I'd like to say i wish them well but...

If ever there was a case that the Conference is not 'non-league' anymore then this is it!

It seems like clubs feel obliged to go full-time, I'm loather to use the word 'forced', to keep up with the swathe of ex-Football League clubs who stay full-time after their relegations.

I look forward to the first club that has a reality check & is brave enough to refuse promotion to Conference National, as only Hendon did when Conference North & South were formed. Which I salute them for.

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

ALSP8
Junior Team Regular

Oct 14, 2009, 10:08 AM

Post #6 of 19 (2372 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALSP8] Gateshead FC to turn Professional? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've now read the press report, the stadium will have a 9,000 capacity rather than 9,000 seats!
However, still no news on where that may be! It seem's odd the club thinks it can find land nearer Gateshead town centre to the suggested former venue at Redheugh Park, which is only just over a mile and a half from Gateshead Town Centre, with good Bus services from Gateshead, Newcastle, Durham, Hexham and Sunderland Passing the ground!
The news the club will also enter a team in the central league was a surprise!

Sm1d
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 14, 2009, 2:52 PM

Post #7 of 19 (2317 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I've now read the press report, the stadium will have a 9,000 capacity rather than 9,000 seats!
However, still no news on where that may be! It seem's odd the club thinks it can find land nearer Gateshead town centre to the suggested former venue at Redheugh Park, which is only just over a mile and a half from Gateshead Town Centre, with good Bus services from Gateshead, Newcastle, Durham, Hexham and Sunderland Passing the ground!
The news the club will also enter a team in the central league was a surprise!

It has, I do know where but I'm not allowed to say, what i can say is it's in a prime location.

#HeedHopper

ALSP8
Junior Team Regular

Oct 14, 2009, 9:08 PM

Post #8 of 19 (2267 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sm1d] Gateshead FC to turn Professional? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My one and only guess will be Sunderland Road where the bus depot is, reasonably close to the town centre, and it's no secret that the bus company is buying land near Costco(near the Metro Centre!) once they can sell land at that location and Winlaton! ...Beyond that..no idea!

Sm1d
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 14, 2009, 11:26 PM

Post #9 of 19 (2239 views)
Shortcut

Hopefully all will be revealed soon.Smile

#HeedHopper

ALSP8
Junior Team Regular

Oct 15, 2009, 9:05 AM

Post #10 of 19 (2205 views)
Shortcut

Good luck to them, and let's hope the people of Gateshead get behind the club!
It does suprise me that when Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesbrough are away, more people don't get along and support their local side. I uesed to Watch Prudhoe Town in the N.L (work commitment's prevent me from going to many matches!) but now i'm happy to be able to Watch Stocksfield play at Kimberley Park. 1 to get in, and a programme too. great value in my opinion!

TonyD
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 15, 2009, 1:26 PM

Team(s): Sutton United, Crystal Palace

Post #11 of 19 (2174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rdp] Gateshead FC to turn Professional? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Its like watching a Car Crash in slow motion. They need a nice fat reality check.

I have to agree. i'm not sure how many iterations of a Gateshead club we've had, but I think we can add another to list in a couple of years time. Talk about not learning from history!

Mark
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 15, 2009, 8:12 PM

Post #12 of 19 (2113 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TonyD] Gateshead FC to turn Professional? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That's bad news for South Shields fans then.

Sarumio

Oct 16, 2009, 8:34 AM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #13 of 19 (2066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark] Gateshead FC to turn Professional? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
That's bad news for South Shields fans then.

LOL

David (BAFC)
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 28, 2009, 6:54 PM

Post #14 of 19 (1863 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Gateshead FC to turn Professional? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Today, the club have released plans and the location for the new stadium. Looks rather nice if I do say so myself.

Linky.

(This post was edited by David (BAFC) on Oct 28, 2009, 6:55 PM)

ALSP8
Junior Team Regular

Oct 30, 2009, 9:40 AM

Post #15 of 19 (1754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [David (BAFC)] Gateshead FC to turn Professional? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good news and an excellent location, I look forward to visiting the new ground and wish GFC good luck. I notice there is no news of what the stadium may be called, But i know unlike the charade over the water caused by Mike Ashley, Gateshead will welcome any investment.

Sm1d
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 30, 2009, 7:30 PM

Post #16 of 19 (1705 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Good news and an excellent location, I look forward to visiting the new ground and wish GFC good luck. I notice there is no news of what the stadium may be called, But i know unlike the charade over the water caused by Mike Ashley, Gateshead will welcome any investment.

At the moment it's going by the name of 'Prince Consort Road Stadium' But I think that's just a temp-work-in-progress-type name.
There's a pic and a wee report about it on my blog; http://100groundsclub.blogspot.com/...-they-will-come.html

#HeedHopper

ALSP8
Junior Team Regular

Oct 30, 2009, 9:44 PM

Post #17 of 19 (1688 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

At the moment it's going by the name of 'Prince Consort Road Stadium' But I think that's just a temp-work-in-progress-type name.
There's a pic and a wee report about it on my blog; http://100groundsclub.blogspot.com/...-they-will-come.html

Indeed t'was on your excellent blog i saw the news first!

Chris1963

Nov 6, 2009, 5:30 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #18 of 19 (1588 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Is Ashley the mystery moneyman behind Gateshead FC? And if not, who is?

David (BAFC)
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 6, 2009, 7:00 PM

Post #19 of 19 (1572 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Gateshead FC to turn Professional? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Is Ashley the mystery moneyman behind Gateshead FC? And if not, who is?

Graham Wood, ex-director at Sunderland AFC.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3