Grounds in TV progs or films

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

coupwotcoup
First Team Star

Oct 8, 2009, 12:59 PM

Post #1 of 265 (41200 views)
Shortcut
Grounds in TV progs or films Can't Post or Reply Privately

This was probably done a few years back, but hey even Mandelson can be revived.
I was watching the film 'The Card' early 50s starring the late great Alec Guinness (pre-knighthood days) and there is a
contrived match at the end of the film. Now I understand that the fictitious name-place, Bursley (read Burslem), but was it filmed on an actual ground?
I seem to remember the old Southall ground hosting a game in Minder a few years back and if memory serves me well,
Tooting and Hendon's old stadia had their fifteen minutes of fame too.
The New Den appeared in an episode of Primeval, but would be interesting to hear more non league grounds that have been used...

Pre-1970 football programmes wanted. Good prices paid for good condition collections. Have thousands for sale, League and Non League. PM with wants lists or for quotes. Especially required pre-1978 Romford home and aways, plus FA Trophy programmes from any rounds from seasons 69-70 and 70-1.

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Oct 8, 2009, 1:01 PM

Post #2 of 265 (41182 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coupwotcoup] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I was watching the film 'The Card' early 50s starring the late great Alec Guinness (pre-knighthood days) and there is a
contrived match at the end of the film. Now I understand that the fictitious name-place, Bursley (read Burslem), but was it filmed on an actual ground?
I seem to remember the old Southall ground hosting a game in Minder a few years back and if memory serves me well,
The New Den appeared in an episode of Primeval, but would be interesting to hear more non league grounds that have been used...

I remember an episode featuring Griffin Park, when there was still a large covered terrace behind the goal (ie. before the flats). Southall I do not recall.

grandad
Youth Team Regular

Oct 8, 2009, 1:01 PM

Team(s): Slought Town, Cheltenham Pilgrims, Rhostyllen, Barmouth & Dyffryn

Post #3 of 265 (41181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coupwotcoup] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wasn't the Yeading ground used in Bend it like Beckham?

Once a Rebel, Always a Rebel

sandhurstbee
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 8, 2009, 1:11 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #4 of 265 (41173 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grandad] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Wasn't the Yeading ground used in Bend it like Beckham?

Yes!

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

seadog41
Reserve Team Star

Oct 8, 2009, 1:23 PM

Team(s): Scarborough FC (RIP) Scarborough Athletic FC

Post #5 of 265 (41159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Highbury features (not unsurprisingly) in the "The Arsenal Stadium Mystery" http://en.wikipedia.org/...enal_Stadium_Mystery

Leyton Orient's Brisbane Road features in the 1967 Stanley Baker film "Robbery" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbery_(film)

Trust Member Scarborough Athletic FC

Dylan's Dad
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 8, 2009, 1:24 PM

Team(s): Gillingham

Post #6 of 265 (41157 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Anyone know what ground is used in the advert (for the lottery, I think) where the three old boys climb over the wall and have a kickabout? It's been very carefully shot to avoid any clue whatsoever as to where it is, as far as I can tell.......

La la la
La la la
Life is football
-- Robb Johnson

catweazle
Youth Team Sub

Oct 8, 2009, 1:32 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 265 (41152 views)
Shortcut

The Card was filmed around maidenhead and their ground can be seen in the film.

Billybadknees
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 8, 2009, 1:38 PM

Team(s): Sheffield FC, Sheffield Wednesday, Staveley MWFC

Post #8 of 265 (41145 views)
Shortcut
Re: [catweazle] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What about Saltergate passing for the Baseball Ground (and even Wembley in some scenes I understand) in The Damned Utd?

Also wasn't Hallam's Sandygate used in When Saturday Comes starring celebrity grunter Sean Bean?

Sig-lite!

Seagull
First Team Star

Oct 8, 2009, 1:49 PM

Post #9 of 265 (41134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Billybadknees] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The main ground used on kids TV prog of the 80's, Jossies Giants, was the old Norden Road home of Oldham Dew/Town.

John Mills
Reserve Team Star

Oct 8, 2009, 2:13 PM

Post #10 of 265 (41122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or

Not having a go, but just so we don't keep repeating ourselves..

http://www.nlpl.co.uk/...;;page=unread#unread

John Mills
Reserve Team Star

Oct 8, 2009, 2:26 PM

Post #11 of 265 (41111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Mills] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or

Having re-read the thread linked above, I noticed Straiton as a setting for "A Shot at Glory". Although I haven't seen it, I'm guessing they got the idea from having seen it used for "The Match", a mid 90s BBC1-Sunday-evening-style light comedy film featuring Max Beesley, Neil Morrissey and the lovely Laura Fraser amongst others. I bought a VHS copy for 2.99 or some such several years ago, and fished it out for a re-watch just the other night.

coupwotcoup
First Team Star

Oct 8, 2009, 3:56 PM

Post #12 of 265 (41080 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garrincha's dog] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I remember an episode featuring Griffin Park, when there was still a large covered terrace behind the goal (ie. before the flats). Southall I do not recall.

Just been trolling but to no avail. It was a charity match in series 9,, that is far as I have got.

Pre-1970 football programmes wanted. Good prices paid for good condition collections. Have thousands for sale, League and Non League. PM with wants lists or for quotes. Especially required pre-1978 Romford home and aways, plus FA Trophy programmes from any rounds from seasons 69-70 and 70-1.

coupwotcoup
First Team Star

Oct 8, 2009, 3:58 PM

Post #13 of 265 (41079 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Mills] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Not having a go, but just so we don't keep repeating ourselves..

http://www.nlpl.co.uk/...;;page=unread#unread

It's an age thing fellah..got to fill some time in before I need to change my bag again... Crazy

GSB
Youth Team Star

Oct 8, 2009, 4:45 PM

Post #14 of 265 (41044 views)
Shortcut

About 16 years ago, when the FAW's vendetta precluded Newport using Somerton Park in its dying years, it was used for an episode of "Casualty" featuring graphic violence at and around a "Holby" game. Holby is of course Bristol in real life, so no great distance. I vaguely recall the football authorities were unhappy about it, but couldn't do anything as by then it was an ex-football ground - ironically thanks to the unlawful actions of the Welsh governing body.

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Oct 8, 2009, 5:07 PM

Post #15 of 265 (41029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dylan's Dad] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Anyone know what ground is used in the advert (for the lottery, I think) where the three old boys climb over the wall and have a kickabout? It's been very carefully shot to avoid any clue whatsoever as to where it is, as far as I can tell.......

It's Crystal Palace. They've even gone to the trouble of editing out whatever is picked out in the seats in the big stand to 'anonamise' it.

There was an episode of Frost featuring Denton FC which used The Shay for match footage.

SWP-Phil
First Team Star

Oct 8, 2009, 5:13 PM

Team(s): Various

Post #16 of 265 (41023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So whose ground is Paul Whitehouse parked up outside at the start of the Arriva "Green Army" adverts - coz it certainly ain't no ground in Plymouth !

Follow the SW Peninsula League on Twitter: @swpleague

For all the News on the SW Peninsula League go to : www.swpleague.co.uk

classic blonde
Junior Team Regular

Oct 8, 2009, 5:15 PM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 265 (41019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GSB] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The ground where the three men have a kickabout is Selhurst Park.
Guiseley's ground was used in Playing the Field - a dressing room set was built & then set alight on the last episode.
North Shields old Appleby Park ground was used int he late 70's early 80's in the childrens TV programme Supergran which also featured George Best.
An episode of Porridge was filmed at QPR although it was supposed to be Elland Road.
Also an episode of Pie in the Sky used the ground of Marlow FC.

(This post was edited by classic blonde on Oct 8, 2009, 7:55 PM)

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Oct 8, 2009, 5:19 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #18 of 265 (41012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GSB] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Holby is of course Bristol in real life, so no great distance.

What I find strange about Holby City/Casualty is that (a) no one seems to come from Bristol. Well, you'd have thought there would be a few. What with it being the local hospital, and all. (b) none of the nurses are Filipinas. Again, you'd have thought there might be a few? Griffin Park's been used a few times (being localish to the BBC), but since we're on the subject of Brentford, how about the Arsenal Stadium Mystery (shots from an Arsenal v Brentford match in the thirties)? Surely the only time a football stadium is the actual title of the film?

Aah, that's been mentioned before. Note to self... always read all of the posts higher up the thread before sounding out.

(This post was edited by Andrelux on Oct 8, 2009, 5:20 PM)

Mark Hardy
First Team Sub

Oct 8, 2009, 5:21 PM

Team(s): Farnborough

Post #19 of 265 (41009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [classic blonde] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A Touch of Frost has used Halifax Town on two different occaions, once when the cinder bank was still there and the second when it had been developed at both ends.

Heartbeat used Pickering Town in one episode possibly Series 15.

John Mills
Reserve Team Star

Oct 8, 2009, 5:30 PM

Post #20 of 265 (41003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [classic blonde] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Guiseley's ground was used in Playing the Field - a dressing room set was built & then set alight on the last episode.

Only the later or last series was filmed at Guiseley, before that it was at Stanton Ilkeston.

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Oct 8, 2009, 5:53 PM

Team(s): Leyton Orient, Hastings United, CA Huracan

Post #21 of 265 (40992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Mills] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Orient's ground at Brisbane Road is being used for filming from time to time, although I've no idea what for. I know because I've twice recently received e-mails asking me if I want to be an extra for the crowd shots.

There was an advert a little while ago for Carlsberg which said "Carlsberg don't do pub teams but if they did they would probably be the best pub team in the world". You know the one, where the team is full of ageing England internationals. I'm pretty sure that the pitch they play on is one of the playing fields between East Ham and Barking, close to the Barking Flyover on the North Circular, by the old gasometer - no idea what it's called though.

But I do know that the pub they all go to after the game is my local, the Birkbeck Tavern in Langthorne Road, Leytonstone. It caused quite a double take the first time I saw the ad. Allegedly Jackie Charlton was able to make serious inroads into the pub's Guinness supplies during filming.

trimmtrab
Reserve Team Star

Oct 8, 2009, 6:37 PM

Post #22 of 265 (40965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [classic blonde] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Selhurst Park is also in the original of the Firm with Gary OLdham, it's a game from about 1988 v Manchester City, and I was there on the old Holmesdale Road terracing behind the goal. First and last time I have been in a footie hooligan film!!

eesti7
First Team Sub

Oct 8, 2009, 8:08 PM

Team(s): Gillingham, Tonbridge

Post #23 of 265 (40925 views)
Shortcut
Re: [trimmtrab] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Anyone know what stadium was used for Escape to Victory?

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Oct 8, 2009, 8:30 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #24 of 265 (40908 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eesti7] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Anyone know what stadium was used for Escape to Victory?

Wasn't it a minor stadium in Paris? No, probably not, cos you'd never have got all the English players in there otherwise. Memory may be playing tricks, but perhaps was **supposed** to have been in Paris?

So, basically, I give up.

(This post was edited by Andrelux on Oct 8, 2009, 8:34 PM)

mip
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 8, 2009, 8:31 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth, OB, Svendborg fB, Tved B

Post #25 of 265 (40907 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Grounds in TV progs or films [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
What I find strange about Holby City/Casualty is that (a) no one seems to come from Bristol. Well, you'd have thought there would be a few. What with it being the local hospital, and all. (b) none of the nurses are Filipinas. Again, you'd have thought there might be a few? Griffin Park's been used a few times (being localish to the BBC), but since we're on the subject of Brentford, how about the Arsenal Stadium Mystery (shots from an Arsenal v Brentford match in the thirties)? Surely the only time a football stadium is the actual title of the film?

Aah, that's been mentioned before. Note to self... always read all of the posts higher up the thread before sounding out.

Aah, but the Arsenal Stadium Mystery is worthy of being mentioned two (or three) times. It's a great film. Some Arsenal players and George Allison are taking part in dressing room scenes. Close-up scenes of the Trojans playing were filmed with Oxford University AFC players and cleverly cut together with shots from the Arsenal v Brentford game. Some OUAFC players also appear in other scenes wearing OUAFC sweaters. Neither of them were the murderer. Decent plot and great football scenes!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3