Seagull
First Team Star

Sep 2, 2009, 4:25 PM

Post #1 of 18 (2945 views)
Shortcut
WPL Restructure - latest Can't Post or Reply Privately

Press Release 2nd Sept 2009

Twenty-Four Licence Applicants to compete for Restructured Welsh Premier

The Football Association of Wales has received twenty-four applications for the Domestic Club Licence for Season 2010/11, which is a pre-requisite for competing in the restructured Welsh Premier League next Season.

The FAW announced in June that a re-structured twelve team League will be formulated for the 2010/11 Season with all clubs having to attain the Domestic Club Licence, the process of which has now started and concludes in April.

The deadline for applications has now passed and there is one notable absentee, with Technogroup Welshpool, who are current members of the Principality Welsh Premier League, choosing not to apply. The strict Infrastructure guidelines in the Domestic Licence, means that Welshpool would have been extremely unlikely to meet the grade at their current Maesydre home.

The other seventeen members of the current Welsh Premier League have all applied, but a maximum of five clubs will not form the new League, even if they do gain a Licence.

The-restructured League of twelve will consist of the highest ten Licensed clubs, based on the standings at the end of the 2009/10 Season. They will be joined by one of Afan Lido, Barry Town or Bridgend Town, but only if they finish in the top two and gain an FAW Licence. Similarly one of the four Cymru Alliance clubs to have applied who are Buckley Town, Caernarfon Town, Llandudno FC and Llangefni FC, will also be promoted, but once again, only if they finish in the top two and gain an FAW Licence.

If there is not an eligible club from the Feeder Leagues to gain promotion under the above criteria, the eleventh and possibly twelfth best placed licensed club from the Welsh Premier League will also play in the top division in 2010/11.

FAW Head of Competitions and Club Licensing Manager Andrew Howard said;

“It’s the start of what is going to be a very interesting, but demanding process on the clubs and the Association.”

“The key objective of this system is to enhance the product of the National League in Wales and the Licence will drive this forward. It will improve Stadia, Youth Development, Manager’s Qualifications, Administration and Finances, to name but a few benefits and I’m convinced that this will ensure that the League goes from strength to strength.”

“I’m pleased with the number of applicants which highlights the ambition of some of the clubs currently outside the Principality Welsh Premier League, but it’s also a figure which is manageable administratively.”

The list of FAW Domestic Club Licence Applicants is;

Principality Welsh Premier League
Aberystwyth Town, Airbus UK Broughton, Bala Town FC, Bangor City FC, Caersws FC, Carmarthen Town AFC, Cefn Druids AFC, GAP Connah’s Quay, Haverfordwest County AFC, Llanelli AFC, Neath FC, Newtown AFC, CPD Porthmadog, Port Talbot Town FC, Prestatyn Town FC, Rhyl FC, The New Saints FC

Welsh League Division 1
Afan Lido FC, Barry Town AFC, Bridgend Town AFC

Cymru Alliance
Buckley Town FC, Caernarfon Town FC, Llandudno FC, Llangefni FC

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 2, 2009, 6:16 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #2 of 18 (2906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] WPL Restructure - latest [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Buckley Town being in there is a big surprise - they won the CA a couple of times but turned down the chance of promotion because they didn't want to overstretch themselves financially. Equally surprising that Flint haven't applied, seing as they have expressed WPL aspirations over the last couple of years. Be interesting to see how it pans out, and indeed if there will be any movement upwards at all next summer.

Aggedor
Deleted

Sep 12, 2009, 10:33 AM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 18 (2732 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] WPL Restructure - latest [In reply to] Can't Post or

Programme at last night's Cefn Druids game stated several times that Welshpool are already relegated!

grandad
Youth Team Regular

Sep 12, 2009, 7:22 PM

Team(s): Slought Town, Cheltenham Pilgrims, Rhostyllen, Barmouth & Dyffryn

Post #4 of 18 (2697 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aggedor] WPL Restructure - latest [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not relegated as such, they have chosen not to apply for one of the national licences needed from next year. Too much work to do at their present ground.

Once a Rebel, Always a Rebel

Seagull
First Team Star

Sep 14, 2009, 12:04 PM

Post #5 of 18 (2605 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aggedor] WPL Restructure - latest [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think that's just Druids way of saying "phew, one less relegation spot we have to worry about"!

More on Welshpool's decision here:

http://www.s4c.co.uk/...io/e_/trallwng020909

Some of the requirements though are rather ridiculous, incl 500 lux floodlights, 500+ seats, 13 man dugouts and press boxes with 6 broadband connections.

If the FAW want all this they should be contributing a damn site more to the clubs' expenditure.

I don't blame Welshpool for one second for basically saying "stuff it", I suspect a few more may yet follow suit.

A.G.Ricer
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 14, 2009, 5:05 PM

Post #6 of 18 (2542 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] WPL Restructure - latest [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Having to construct a TV studio is pretty crazy too.
FAW delusions of grandeur.

T P Johnson
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 14, 2009, 5:59 PM

Post #7 of 18 (2528 views)
Shortcut
Re: [A.G.Ricer] WPL Restructure - latest [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Highlights of most games are on each week including some full live ones. Most if not all the best run clubs already have that facility

Seagull
First Team Star

Sep 14, 2009, 6:17 PM

Post #8 of 18 (2523 views)
Shortcut
Re: [T P Johnson] WPL Restructure - latest [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That's true, but I think the point is that there is qute a difference between a "studio" and a "gantry". All current WPL clubs have a gantry, temporary or permanant, but few have a studio.

Does seem a tad OTT if a studio is required.

KnowYourMarket
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 14, 2009, 9:35 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #9 of 18 (2485 views)
Shortcut
Re: [T P Johnson] WPL Restructure - latest [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So you're not a well run club if you do not build a studio from the income of 300 paying spectators?

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

Counting Crows
Youth Team Star

Sep 15, 2009, 1:41 PM

Team(s): Cwmbrân Town

Post #10 of 18 (2397 views)
Shortcut
Re: [modelhobbies] WPL Restructure - latest [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Here's the Infrustructure part of the licence:

2. Infrastructure
Approved stadium available for playing Welsh Premier League matches, which provide spectators, media and press representatives with well equipped, well appointed and safe and comfortable stadia:
  • Safety certificate and policy
  • Approved evacuation plan
  • Minimum capacity of 1,500 with at least 500 covered seats which must be tip-up (bench seating prohibited)
  • Safe access (minimum two turnstiles), boundary wall to prevent viewing from outside
  • PA system
  • Smooth and level playing area
  • Minimum 13 seat dugouts
  • Minimum 20 seat dressing rooms for home and away teams
  • Match day office for admin with phone, fax and e-mail
  • Dedicated first-aid room plus first-aid facilities for spectators
  • Minimum 500 Lux floodlights
  • Parking with space for minimum two buses and 10 cars
  • Refreshment facilities in all areas of the ground
  • Emergency lighting system
  • Space for disabled spectators
  • Dedicated TV platform plus two covered commentary positions
  • TV studio
  • Press box with minimum 20 seats equipped with power and phone/modem/wireless connections
  • Outside broadcast van area
Bear in mind that there are grants for this sort of thing, plus help from the FAW. They wouldn't want to risk less that 12 clubs obtaining a licence would they?!

The silver lining to all this is that one can't see the ground criteria rising anytime soon after this initial jump. I mean, there just wouldn't be a reason to raise it further as there's a degree of future proofing about the above criteria.

www.cwmbrantownafc.co.uk
https://twitter.com/#!/CwmbranTown

MattRamLives
First Team Sub

Sep 16, 2009, 9:13 AM

Team(s): Every Derbyshire team

Post #11 of 18 (2299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Counting Crows] WPL Restructure - latest [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Here's the Infrustructure part of the licence:

2. Infrastructure
Approved stadium available for playing Welsh Premier League matches, which provide spectators, media and press representatives with well equipped, well appointed and safe and comfortable stadia:
  • Safety certificate and policy - Yes
  • Approved evacuation plan - Yes
  • Minimum capacity of 1,500 with at least 500 covered seats which must be tip-up (bench seating prohibited) - divide by roughly 2 and yes - certainly as regards seats
  • Safe access (minimum two turnstiles), boundary wall to prevent viewing from outside - yes but two secure entrances perhaps
  • PA system - yes and one that works and is bi-lingual - or universal translator
  • Smooth and level playing area - subjective doesnt have to be a bowling green
  • Minimum 13 seat dugouts - no maybe between 6-8 as a min - don't know how many subs in WPL - so maybe more
  • Minimum 20 seat dressing rooms for home and away teams - probably maybe a couple or so less
  • Match day office for admin with phone, fax and e-mail - yes
  • Dedicated first-aid room plus first-aid facilities for spectators - yes
  • Minimum 500 Lux floodlights - no - just enough to see
  • Parking with space for minimum two buses and 10 cars - I say more ideally or that other nearby parking or public transport is available
  • Refreshment facilities in all areas of the ground - yes
  • Emergency lighting system - yes
  • Space for disabled spectators - yes
  • Dedicated TV platform plus two covered commentary positions - if the grants are there
  • TV studio - no
  • Press box with minimum 20 seats equipped with power and phone/modem/wireless connections - no - at least not that many
  • Outside broadcast van area - probably not a problem but where it is probably a big problem - don't know the grounds
Bear in mind that there are grants for this sort of thing, plus help from the FAW. They wouldn't want to risk less that 12 clubs obtaining a licence would they?!

The silver lining to all this is that one can't see the ground criteria rising anytime soon after this initial jump. I mean, there just wouldn't be a reason to raise it further as there's a degree of future proofing about the above criteria.

just my thoughts
the ideas for a more professional look with tv studio's, huge press boxes etc are fine - but could surely be phased in over time and if and when growth in attendences and media coverage increases (and intitally built on a smaller scale with expansion to the higher standard in mind) - or are they there to cherry pick those with money to sort out their ground or already have one or could rent one.

gcnc

Sep 16, 2009, 9:28 AM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #12 of 18 (2297 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MattRamLives] WPL Restructure - latest [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
  • PA system - yes and one that works and is bi-lingual - or universal translator

Oh, please don't start us on that trackMad

Public life in Wales is blighted by the necessity for everything to be translated into a language that hardly anybody speaks, especially outside of the North West corner. There are parts of Wales where English-Urdu signage/ announcements would be far more useful. The cost of translation facilities already cripple some voluntary organisations and charities, (I know, because I used to be a trustee of one such organisation), and the benefits are negligible - purely the keeping happy of the Welsh nationalist fringe.

Rant over!

MattRamLives
First Team Sub

Sep 16, 2009, 9:49 AM

Team(s): Every Derbyshire team

Post #13 of 18 (2290 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] WPL Restructure - latest [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Public life in Wales is blighted by the necessity for everything to be translated into a language that hardly anybody speaks, especially outside of the North West corner. There are parts of Wales where English-Urdu signage/ announcements would be far more useful. The cost of translation facilities already cripple some voluntary organisations and charities, (I know, because I used to be a trustee of one such organisation), and the benefits are negligible - purely the keeping happy of the Welsh nationalist fringe.

Rant over!

it was tongue in cheek, flippant - for which I apolgise if not took in that spirit - as a Derby lad who spent his hols in N Wales (and loved it) but got daggers for not having learnt Welsh - probably from people who can't speak Spanish ( or Catalan etc ) etc -
when they go on hols.
However - I do support efforts to keep the language alive - especially in parts where it is still relatively widely spoken - I would certainly learn it I moved there - or try.

GSB
Youth Team Star

Sep 16, 2009, 9:59 AM

Post #14 of 18 (2286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MattRamLives] WPL Restructure - latest [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

<<They wouldn't want to risk less that 12 clubs obtaining a licence would they?! >>

But what would happen if they fell short? There must be a contingency plan?

gcnc

Sep 16, 2009, 10:01 AM

Post #15 of 18 (2286 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Rant over!

it was tongue in cheek, flippant - for which I apolgise if not took in that spirit - as a Derby lad who spent his hols in N Wales (and loved it) but got daggers for not having learnt Welsh - probably from people who can't speak Spanish ( or Catalan etc ) etc -
when they go on hols.
However - I do support efforts to keep the language alive - especially in parts where it is still relatively widely spoken - I would certainly learn it I moved there - or try.

No worries! I always feel better after a good rant in the morning, and, but for the anonymity of the message board it would be my house that got burnt down, anyway.
Fortunately I don't think anybody at the FAW has the sense to read this messageboard, but just in case, don't give them any more daft ideas, even tongue in cheek - they don't need any encouragementTongue

gcnc

Sep 16, 2009, 10:11 AM

Post #16 of 18 (2281 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GSB] WPL Restructure - latest [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
<<They wouldn't want to risk less that 12 clubs obtaining a licence would they?! >>

But what would happen if they fell short? There must be a contingency plan?

Probably won't be a problem. A good number of clubs are there or thereabouts already - Rhyl, Newtown, TNS, Llanelli, Port Talbot, Neath, Carmarthen (?) and others probably don't have a great deal to do, including one or two clubs who could get promotion this year, e.g. Barry Town, Bridgend Town. If there is any danger of them not getting twelve, expect a bit of 'fudging' at the end of the season, - assurances that the work needing to be done is in the pipeline etc etc.

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 16, 2009, 8:53 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #17 of 18 (2189 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] WPL Restructure - latest [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
There are parts of Wales where English-Urdu signage/ announcements would be far more useful.

At work we have English/Polish signage, but no Welsh even though we are in Wales Crazy

leohoenig
Administrator

Sep 17, 2009, 2:58 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #18 of 18 (2116 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] WPL Restructure - latest [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
At work we have English/Polish signageCrazy

How much does Polishing Signage pay

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3