Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
players with your names

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

garethwrexy
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 24, 2009, 3:40 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #1 of 104 (5961 views)
Shortcut
players with your names Can't Post or Reply Privately

First and last
at wrexham named after me gareth Taylor Tongue

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

derekn
First Team Star

Aug 24, 2009, 5:06 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #2 of 104 (5913 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There was once a player at Aldershot called Derek Norman, whose main claim to fame was to have scored 2 own goals in one game. It's frightening how like me he must have been!

Aggedor
Deleted

Aug 24, 2009, 5:13 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 104 (5906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or

Oddly, I have never come across thisSlySlySly

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Aug 24, 2009, 5:28 PM

Post #4 of 104 (5901 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aggedor] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mine was a first-class cricketer and I get mail for him asking for autographs, so I sign them and return. No complaints yet.

Over the top
First Team Sub

Aug 24, 2009, 5:35 PM

Post #5 of 104 (5895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aggedor] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Oddly, I have never come across thisSlySlySly

Me either !!!!

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Aug 24, 2009, 5:41 PM

Post #6 of 104 (5890 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Mine was a first-class cricketer and I get mail for him asking for autographs, so I sign them and return. No complaints yet.

Brilliant!

There is (or at least was) an Alan Reidy that was a Gaelic football player at a decent level.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

ladderman

Aug 24, 2009, 5:44 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #7 of 104 (5887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tivvy_Al] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

"I" played in goal for Northwich when they won the Trophy (and bizarely let in the goal which won me the golden goal at Stortford in the same competition) and also in midfield (I think) for Wealdstone.

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 24, 2009, 5:47 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #8 of 104 (5884 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Closest I've ever come to meeting someone with my name is a director at Dartford FC. Never got a chance to introduce myself as they hid themselves away in their boardroom as soon as the game finished, (and even had the cheek to put security outside the door).

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

Chris1963

Aug 24, 2009, 5:49 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #9 of 104 (5881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Unfortunately, a search of Google shows that I did nothing more memorable than to get killed in a car crash in Cumbria (a stronghold for my surname) a few years back.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Aug 24, 2009, 5:49 PM)

VP

Aug 24, 2009, 6:41 PM

Post #10 of 104 (5853 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Unfortunately, a search of Google shows that I did nothing more memorable than to get killed in a car crash in Cumbria (a stronghold for my surname) a few years back.

It appears I won the 400m hurdles and 110m hurdles at a school in New York in 2002.

Even going by surname only there's only one professional footballer I know of - Billy Kirkwood formerly of Dundee United.

(This post was edited by VP on Aug 24, 2009, 6:41 PM)

leohoenig
Administrator

Aug 24, 2009, 7:44 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #11 of 104 (5820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have never met anyone with my name - and if you know someone with my name, its probably meBlush

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Jamesie
Deleted

Aug 24, 2009, 8:05 PM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 104 (5810 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or

In between writing for the Grauniad, I am a highly respected singer and from an early age have been enthralling audiences with my powerful voice, a hairdresser in Chorlton and a photographer amongst other things. I'm great me!

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

John Mills
Reserve Team Star

Aug 24, 2009, 8:19 PM

Post #13 of 104 (5805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesie] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or

I'll stake a claim as the first person on this thread to have watched myself play - for Ettingshall Holy Trinity and (I think) Walsall Wood.

Obviously, there's the Oscar as well, but one doesn't like to brag, does one?

(This post was edited by John Mills on Aug 24, 2009, 8:24 PM)

Mishi

Aug 24, 2009, 8:31 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #14 of 104 (5798 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesie] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

With an unusual name like mine I would say it's a safe bet you won't see any Mishi Moraths playing non league football, but at least my family can take great pride in the fact that, as a family that grew up in East Dulwich in the Seventies, this season my nephew, my sister's boy, Kalvin Morath-Gibbs, has made his debut for the Hamlet First Team!

I never told my mates this, but as a walked round the ground taking photos for my blog, I stood for a few moments, watching him in defence, & I welled up a little, and had to wipe my eyes! I'm not ashamed to admit that on here, I think some of you would understand! I hope he has a long Hamlet career, but even if he moves on, or doesn't make the grade, whatever, I will always be able to say that one of my family has played for Dulwich Hamlet in the Isthmian League. That moment will stay with me forever.

You'll be pleased to know though, I don't comment on how he plays, he's just another player, as there's nothing I hate more than blinkered 'proud dad/uncle/brother' syndrome. You know the type...

In the nineties we had a player called Dean Holness, & to be fair he was quite talented, but you couldn't have a cahtwith his old man in the bar without a sentence starting: "My boy Dean..."

If ever I go on about Kalvin like that feel free to call a vet & have me put down! ;-)

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

pitch 63
First Team Star

Aug 24, 2009, 8:45 PM

Post #15 of 104 (5790 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesie] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Never found anyone with my name other than my cousin; never found any sportsman with my surname either - Googled my name and the only person that came up apparently tried to kill the President of the United States.

UKPunk

Aug 24, 2009, 9:04 PM

Post #16 of 104 (5777 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Among other things I am a Welsh artist, I own a private members bar in London called Hey Jo, and of course I take photo's at non-league grounds. Cool

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

3-1-5-1
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 24, 2009, 10:16 PM

Team(s): Sheff Wed, Gremio, Cwmbran and thirty others

Post #17 of 104 (5742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Im not a footballer, but I am a photographer, a male model, a professor at the School of East Asian Studies at Sheffield University (where my research interests include the diffusion of religion across cultural boundaries), an interior designer whos written a load of books (such as "The New American Swimming Pool - Innovation in Designs and Construction") and a character in a video game!

Eu sou Gaucho!

ladderman

Aug 24, 2009, 10:52 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #18 of 104 (5723 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Mills] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd already staked that claim - and I saw "me" at Wembley!

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Star

Aug 24, 2009, 11:28 PM

Post #19 of 104 (5704 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or

OK brace yourselves....I am 5 feet tall, gorgeous and slim and one of Britain's top Kylie Minogue impersonators!!!
Check it out!

Kerry

fishy
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 24, 2009, 11:34 PM

Team(s): AFC Hull

Post #20 of 104 (5701 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jaundiced Hack] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am reliably informed by the font of all knowledge that is google that I am an Australian tennis player and an American "real estate" personage. I never realised I was so exciting!

Darren Lovell
First Team Star

Aug 24, 2009, 11:50 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #21 of 104 (5691 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fishy] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well I'm an experienced lighting cameraman having worked on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross. I am also the Midland Region Organiser of the Associated Train Crew Union and rather trendily I am the bass player/vocalist of indie band Kennedy!

I now see that I also scored for Broad Walk in a 6-5 GFA Intermediate Cup tie against Westerleigh according to This Is Bristol! Google also make mention of "the man from Maidstone United." (Who he?Wink)

Grounds Visited 315
Last New Ground:Millwall Training Ground
Last Game:Crystal Palace U23 1-5 Middlesbrough U23
Premier League Cup 02.12.19
Games In Season 2019-20: 39
New Grounds This Season: 3
Goals This Season: 122
Ave goals per game: 3.13

UKPunk

Aug 24, 2009, 11:54 PM

Post #22 of 104 (5685 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Darren Lovell] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Well I'm an experienced lighting cameraman having worked on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross.

And you didn't punch the lights out of the arrogant, overpaid, speech impedimented, good-for-nothing, talentless, twat? Cool

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Darren Lovell
First Team Star

Aug 24, 2009, 11:56 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #23 of 104 (5683 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Funny you should say that Dave as Mr Ross isn't amongst my favourite celebs either!

Grounds Visited 315
Last New Ground:Millwall Training Ground
Last Game:Crystal Palace U23 1-5 Middlesbrough U23
Premier League Cup 02.12.19
Games In Season 2019-20: 39
New Grounds This Season: 3
Goals This Season: 122
Ave goals per game: 3.13

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 25, 2009, 7:08 AM

Post #24 of 104 (5642 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Darren Lovell] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am an American Bible Basher and Cumbrian fly fishing instructor.

As for football links, namesake Mark played for Middlesbrough in the late 70's/early 80's and I last heard was involved in coaching at Livingston.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

Trevor P
First Team Star

Aug 25, 2009, 8:00 AM

Team(s): Torquay United/Dawlish United

Post #25 of 104 (5629 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] players with your names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was at college with someone who had the same name as mine. We never met at that time, although we did sometimes get misdirected post. Years later I came across my namesake in the Eastern Counties League. This time I intoduced myself and we shared a laugh about our student days. Amazingly, he'd played for Torquay United's youth side (amazingly, because that was/is my local League club) before moving to the Peterborough area, I believe.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3