A Prediction League Cup : Interest?

bbcgull
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 18, 2009, 1:32 AM

Team(s): Torquay United, Real Salt Lake, United Services Portsmouth

Post #1 of 14 (68713 views)
Shortcut
A Prediction League Cup : Interest? Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have run a Prediction League Cup in 2007/08 on another site as well as a full Prediction League and another Prediction League Cup in 2008/09. All have been much loved...(Paignton Nick can vouch for that)

Due to ill health and time restaints i stood down from running my Prediciton League for next season as i feel i can offer my time every week to keep it updated, and handed to someone esle who will make it a great success and it will be run in her own way.

I have decided not to run my PLC on that particular site as well next season only because i feel the new owner of the PL should be able to run it ALL as she wishes (i'm getting to the point trust me!!!) so i am thinking of running my Prediction League Cup on here next season.

Simply i will need 64 entrants and it will begin on the same day as the FA Cup 3rd Round, although i will make a draw on the 2nd Round Day (i will open entries on 1st Round Day) you predict on 12 matches on that day and i do ALL the rest til we have a winner on FA Cup Final day.

Now i am NOT asking fo entries now as i will ask that on 1st Round day so i can give you your relevant draw numbers, what i am seeking here is interest? Would this interest anyone on here, could we get up to 64 players? for a knockout comp?

Feedback and questions most welcome.

fishy
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 19, 2009, 10:04 AM

Team(s): AFC Hull

Post #2 of 14 (68696 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bbcgull] A Prediction League Cup : Interest? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sounds interesting - err, that's a "yes".

paignton-nick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 19, 2009, 10:17 AM

Team(s): Stevenage FC & Buckland Athletic

Post #3 of 14 (68695 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fishy] A Prediction League Cup : Interest? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm sure my arm could be twisted...Cool

Stevenage FC - Hertfordshire's finest!
Buckland Athletic- Pride of South Devon!

northstandexile
First Team Regular

Jun 19, 2009, 7:09 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #4 of 14 (68686 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paignton-nick] A Prediction League Cup : Interest? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Please add me.

bbcgull
Reserve Team Regular

May 13, 2010, 10:54 AM

Post #5 of 14 (65395 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] A Prediction League Cup : Interest? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just bumping if ok to see interest.

I have run this with great success on Torquay United websites. All good fun and all you have to do is predict on the FA Cup 'weekends' from Round 3 with non lerague fixtures i post. I do all the rest.

Nothing definite yet but Nick knows of my pedigree running leagues and cups and can vouch for me. Not stpepping on anyone esles toes just another good addition to this site.

Please let me know if this wouldbe of interest. So i can make the decision to bring it here and make it national. Round 1 would include 64 players if enough joined.

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

May 13, 2010, 11:03 PM

Post #6 of 14 (65372 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bbcgull] A Prediction League Cup : Interest? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'll have a bash.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

keepz1
Youth Team Regular

May 18, 2010, 9:52 PM

Post #7 of 14 (65169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] A Prediction League Cup : Interest? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'll have a bash.

me too!

Tweety
Junior Team Sub

May 19, 2010, 2:32 AM

Post #8 of 14 (65154 views)
Shortcut

I would be willing to have a go.

Tweety

bbcgull
Reserve Team Regular

May 8, 2012, 10:11 AM

Post #9 of 14 (53379 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tweety] A Prediction League Cup (Knock out format!) : Interest? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Did'nt go with this at the time but maybe interested in running this next season.... anyone interested?

burrow
Youth Team Sub

May 28, 2012, 9:54 AM

Team(s): Chester FC

Post #10 of 14 (53118 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bbcgull] A Prediction League Cup (Knock out format!) : Interest? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm all for it, please put me in.

All these different languages the world over yet there is only one when you laugh or cry. burrow

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

May 28, 2012, 1:01 PM

Team(s): Malvern Town F,C,

Post #11 of 14 (53108 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bbcgull] A Prediction League Cup (Knock out format!) : Interest? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If you can run it to keep the interest going for as long as possible for as many people as possible I'd be in.

I entered one of these a couple of seasons back, limited to 32 players at a time (but I see 16,32,64,128 could all work) where to ensure longest interest for most players, there were 5 all-in rounds wherein no-one was eliminated:- the draw began randomly, then diverged each round into ever-half-as-big subsections where every match pitted a winner v a winner & a loser v a loser from each previous round, until there was only one permanent winner and one permanent loser left.

It's difficult in words, but I'll try-

Everyone's guaranteed six rounds of play.

Round 1: 32 teams, random draw,
Round 2: 32 teams, 16 winners drawn in group A, 16 losers drawn in group B
Round 3: 32 teams, 8 double winners drawn in group A1, 8 winners/losers drawn in group A2, 8 losers/winners drawn in group B1, 8 double losers drawn in group B2.
Round 4: 32 teams, 4 treble winners drawn in group A1a, 4 double winners/losers drawn in group A1b, 4 winners/losers/winners drawn in group A2a, 8 winners/losers/losers drawn in group A2b, 4 losers/winners/winners drawn in group B1a, 4 losers/winners/losers drawn in group B1b, 4 double losers/winners drawn in group B2a, 4 treble losers drawn in group B2b.
Round 5: 32 teams, Pairs of A1a winners drawn together, pairs of A1b winners drawn together, pairs of A2a winners drawn together, pairs of A2b winners drawn together, pairs of B1a winners drawn together, pairs of B1b winners drawn together, pairs of B2a winners drawn together, pairs of B2b winners drawn together.

I hope the pattern here is emergent? Anyhow, it produces a listing with one 5x winner, five 4x winners, ten 3x winners, ten 2x winners, five 1x winners & one 0x winner. Positions then determined by gd/gs/h2h, if still not separated it then goes to compare results obtained versus any team(s) both have played in rounds 1-5 and thereafter to a coin-toss I think!

Round 6: 1 to 16 byes - but play-off on best v worst etc. basis and reshuffled in positions for new 16-team table as in R5. 17 v 32, 18 v 31, 19 v 30..... 24 v 25 - losers eliminated
Round 7: 1 to 8 byes - but play-off on best v worst etc. basis and reshuffled in positions for new 8-team table as in R6. 9 to 16 in seeded play-off with 8x R6 elimination winners. Losers leave competition.
Round 8: Seeded best v worst etc round-of-last-16.
Quarter-Finals: Last eight standing in seeded best v worst etc. play-off.
Semi-Final: Open draw
Final: Produces winner.

The match format in every round is 'best of 5 predictions', where 1 goal is given if you get within 1 goal of the home team's score &/or you get within 1 goal of the away team's score &/or if you get opposing teams' gd spot-on. Getting either home or away teams goals scored in any game gives a bonus goal to you for each, earning a third bonus goal for the perfect prediction. In event of a draw (one of - usually the furthest down-page) the lowest-(real)-scoring match is removed from the five predictions and resultant taken to choose winner, even if your prediction scoreline shows as 0-0, 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, etc. - call it a 'penalty win'. Sometimes more than one of the five has to be removed, but that's not common.

It all looks gloriously chaotic written down, but didn't seem to present the admin any hassles in scoring-up our games each week.

Professional cretin.

The Major
Junior Team Regular

Aug 5, 2012, 5:52 PM

Team(s): Chelsea/Royal Marines/Portsmouth Royal Navy

Post #12 of 14 (52488 views)
Shortcut

Count me in

ColtheJock
Youth Team Star

Aug 6, 2012, 7:44 AM

Team(s): No one now!!!!

Post #13 of 14 (52474 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Major] A Prediction League Cup : Interest? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I would give it a go Cool

Colin.

Colin M

MOUNTAINEER
Youth Team Sub

Aug 10, 2012, 6:44 PM

Team(s): Wycombe Wanderers, Truro City, Tottenham Hotspur

Post #14 of 14 (52369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ColtheJock] A Prediction League Cup : Interest? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'll give it a go

Ivor (MOUNTAINEER).

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3