Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Chile

3-1-5-1
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 16, 2009, 4:50 AM

Team(s): Sheff Wed, Gremio, Cwmbran and thirty others

Post #1 of 6 (2345 views)
Shortcut
Chile Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sadly my trip to Buenos Aires this weekend has gone down the Swanee, but now I'm off to Santiago for the weekend of 2nd May.

I intend to take in the game between the wonderfully named O'Higgins and Curico Unido, which the Chilean FA site has down for the 2nd at 18:00.

Has anyone seen any games in Chile and have any thoughts to share?

I know O'Higgins play in Rancagua, which is about 90kms south of Santiago and I should have plenty of time to find out about buses etc but if anyone knows of any quirks - like last minute changes to KO times or bans on away fans - or things like sports papers then I'd be grateful to hear them!

Eu sou Gaucho!

(This post was edited by 3-1-5-1 on Apr 16, 2009, 4:53 AM)

stroller
Junior Team Star

Apr 16, 2009, 7:39 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2311 views)
Shortcut
Re: [3-1-5-1] Chile [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I went to 3 games there in 1999. Santiago Morning and Colo Colo in Santiago and Everton in Villa del Mar.
Very enjoyable, less threatening atmosphere than games in Argentina and the country is very pleasant too.
I am sure you'll have a great time, long old flight though!

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 17, 2009, 11:56 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #3 of 6 (2267 views)
Shortcut

Hi 3-1-5-1,
had a lovely weekend in Santiago with "youngster" in July 2000. Like most countries T.V.rules O.K. and late changes are common. O"Higgins is indeed 18-00 on May 2 at moment but nearer time check on www.anfp.cl/fixturesyprogramacion.html . Usually the following weeks kick offs will be confirmed.
Santiago is great, so laid back compared with most oher cities in S.A. Dont remember falling out with anyone there !

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 127 / 107 / 20 / 5 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 07 / 12 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-1-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Apr 17, 2009, 12:28 PM)

3-1-5-1
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 17, 2009, 4:50 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Chile [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for the info, dottir! I'll keep checking on there. I'm there from Thursday to Monday, so any changes shouldn't affect me too much!

I've found the Chilean railways site and there are regular trains to Rancagua from Santiago and vice versa. It's only a 75 minute trip so it doesn't look like I'll have any problems getting there and back.

I was planning to stay overnight in Rancagua anyway, have a few celebratory drinks with the locals!!

Cheers!

Eu sou Gaucho!

alfie
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 18, 2009, 11:36 PM

Team(s): Ossett Albion, Linton Granta, Cambridge United, Dunfermline Athletic

Post #5 of 6 (2197 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Sadly my trip to Buenos Aires this weekend has gone down the Swanee, but now I'm off to Santiago for the weekend of 2nd May.

I intend to take in the game between the wonderfully named O'Higgins and Curico Unido, which the Chilean FA site has down for the 2nd at 18:00.

Has anyone seen any games in Chile and have any thoughts to share?

I know O'Higgins play in Rancagua, which is about 90kms south of Santiago and I should have plenty of time to find out about buses etc but if anyone knows of any quirks - like last minute changes to KO times or bans on away fans - or things like sports papers then I'd be grateful to hear them!

Enjoy the Trip
Santiago is a great city and very easy to get about

O'Higgins named after Bernado o'Higgins, who is a big Chilean Hero who helped achieve independence from Spain
as you may guess son of a Irish Sailor

wouldn't have minded joining you

Have you been getting to many games at Gremio

Alfie

(This post was edited by alfie on Apr 18, 2009, 11:38 PM)

3-1-5-1
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 18, 2009, 11:54 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2190 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alfie] Chile [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hi, Alfie! Totally forgot you'd been to Santiago!! Any good bars to recommend?!!

Doubt whether my "expense account" will stretch to the same hotel as you, though!

Just spent a happy afternoon finding somewhere that sells O'Higgins team shirts - a must have!

Maybe you (or anyone else who might be reading this!!) could tell me this, though, do the shops close on Saturday afternoons, like most of em do in PoA? I'd be more than a tad miffed if I got to this shop and found it wasn't open!Mad

Gremio haven't been playing much recently. We threw away the Gauchao by playing a reserve side in the last qualification round, promptly lost and ended up having to play Inter in the next phase...two days before a Libertadores game!!

As expected, we lost that as well, so having departed the competition early we've only had the aforementioned Libertadores game in nearly three weeks and the next one's not until a week on Tuesday. And as we've already won the group it's meaningless as well. I'll still be going though and the Brasileiro starts soon, on May 9 - home against Santos and O'Higgins will fill the gap nicely!

Eu sou Gaucho!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3