Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Eibar

Noah's Dad
First Team Sub

Jan 1, 2009, 6:26 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex, Bury Town, Ipswich Town, Spanish football, Groundhopper

Post #1 of 4 (883 views)
Shortcut
Eibar Can't Post or Reply Privately

Has anyone been to Eibar using public transport? If so, what's the best way to get there from Bilbao (Zumarraga station perhaps?). I'm planning on a visit to go with Real Sporting in February - any advice would be helpful.

2019/20 new grounds: 6 Matches: 8
Total grounds: 2,266

Last game: WHU 0 Man City 5 19.8.19

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 2, 2009, 12:20 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #2 of 4 (826 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Noah's Dad] Eibar [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm sure sonofhod would have been pleased to help you, but sadly it seems he has been banned from this forum!

AndyE
First Team Star

Jan 2, 2009, 3:48 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 4 (797 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Eibar [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The answer seems to be EuskoTren - the Basque narrow gauge railway system.

Trains to Eibar go from Bilbao Atxuri, which is in the suburbs. They run about once an hour, and take about an hour and a quarter. To get to Atxuri, you take another train from the main station (Bilbao Abando) - that one runs every 15 minutes and only takes a few minutes.

Spanish train timetables can be a bit complicated, especially when they are written in Basque as most stuff to do with EuskoTren is! But if you go to EuskoTren's timetable page

http://www.euskotren.es/.../horarios/home2.html

the times for Eibar are to be found on the Bilbao-Donostia link, and those between the city and Bilbao Atxuri are on Tranvia de Bilbao (scroll down a bit if you don't see that link straight away).

I don't know exactly where Eibar station is in relation to the ground, but having had a quick look on Google Earth, Eibar isn't very big.

Noah's Dad
First Team Sub

Jan 2, 2009, 6:02 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex, Bury Town, Ipswich Town, Spanish football, Groundhopper

Post #4 of 4 (777 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Eibar [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Superb info Andy - thanks a million. I noticed that a train line runs through Eibar on maps yet wondered why there was no mention of a station there on the spanish trains website. Now it makes perfect sense...and the Euskadi language doesn't pose a problem as the site reads like a straighforward timetable. The old mill town of Eibar only has a population of 5k I believe so it won't be hard to find the Ipurua stadium which is pretty splendid in it's location hence why I want to visit. Just need a Tercera game or two now and favourable kick-off times with Athletic and Eibar and I'll be well away!

2019/20 new grounds: 6 Matches: 8
Total grounds: 2,266

Last game: WHU 0 Man City 5 19.8.19

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3