Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Football In Asia

chef66
Youth Team Star

Jan 1, 2009, 5:33 PM

Post #1 of 4 (683 views)
Shortcut
Football In Asia Can't Post or Reply Privately

Between Sept and December I was posted to India for 3 months. I made the most of it making sure I got out and about every weekend. I went to some of the India v Australia and India v England cricket matches, and although didn’t do any travelling specifically for football I got lucky that three trips coincided with matches. Here is a brief summary.

Sri Lanka
As luck would have it my trip there conincided with the start of the 'Dialog Premier League Season'. I attended 'the big one', Ratnam v Saunders in Colombo on 26th Sept. As always in this part of the world the journey there was the most eventful, a case of rick shaw and train. The trip from Negombo (where I was staying) and Colombo threw up an interesting range of characters, including a busker who got on at one station with a full size musical organ, sat on the full size speaker and started playing! Free entry to the ground. No programme but managed to get a teamsheet, and a media yearbook. About 300 in attendance. Ratnam won 2-1.

One interesting aspect on the trains in that due to terrorism you are not allowed to put your bag in the luggage racks, in case you get off and leave it. However it is custom that if you are standing you can give your bag to someone who is sitting irrespective of whether you know them or not!

As a bonus also saw a few overs at the Test cricket ground.

India
On my trip to Goa, I went to Sporting Club de Goa v Mohun Bagun. An impressive stadium that holds around 30k and the home size won 2-0. Rubbish at guessing crowds but maybe 400 in attendance. No prog, but there was a teamsheet and a ticket stub. Goa won 2-0. In true Indian style I walked back to the train station along the actual lines! In anyone ever goes I can recommed a good hotel for a pre match curry and Kingfisher!

Nepal
The first I got wind of the game was when I was in a bar the night before. There was an ad running for a game on the TV. Bit of a headscratcher though as the date of the game was advertised as being on 2065-7-30. Anyway in reality it was the following day. Spoke to a local chap who advised that they run to a different calendar in Nepal and it is 2065 there! He did explain but I just didn't get it. They seems to run to the two dates in parallel. Anyway the charity game, Nepal Police Club v Nabil Three Star was billed as the first ‘top class’ football (media words not mine!) for two years and indeed most of the national team were playing. There was certainly a decent crowd in, in excess of 2k I would estimate. Nabil won 1-0. Got a ticket stub and a teamsheet (dated 2065!). I was a bit of a celeb in the crowd as I walked around as I stood out!

leohoenig
Administrator

Jan 2, 2009, 11:52 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #2 of 4 (620 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chef66] Football In Asia [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Do you think the low attendance is typical of the Indian League. Or do other factors also come into play.
Although the two teams you saw are top of the league at the half way stage, the match was third round only, so the league table was not very developed. IN addition, the Indian League is compressed into a small number of centres. Perhaps the derby match between Dempo and Vasco da Gama on the same pitch, 24 hours later was the one to capture the Goan crowds that weekend?

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Jan 2, 2009, 3:29 PM

Team(s): Leyton Orient, Hastings United, CA Huracan

Post #3 of 4 (604 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Football In Asia [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A couple of months ago I spent a little time researching Indian football as it looked then as if I would be visiting Mumbai and I hoped to get a couple of games in. In the event, the trip did not come off. I found no statistical information on attendances. But I did have indirect contact with a British ex-pat who watches games in Mumbai - the impression given was that attendances there are usually very low indeed unless a particular fixture is promoted in some way. I also looked at Indianfootball.com, which was full of photos of games being played in sparsely populated grounds.

chef66
Youth Team Star

Jan 2, 2009, 8:37 PM

Post #4 of 4 (578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Football In Asia [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am pretty sure that all crowds in India are low. I watched quite a few of the games on TV there and the grounds were always deserted. Be very surprised if many crowds exceed 1000. There really is no 'football culture' there at all!

In Reply To
Do you think the low attendance is typical of the Indian League. Or do other factors also come into play.
Although the two teams you saw are top of the league at the half way stage, the match was third round only, so the league table was not very developed. IN addition, the Indian League is compressed into a small number of centres. Perhaps the derby match between Dempo and Vasco da Gama on the same pitch, 24 hours later was the one to capture the Goan crowds that weekend?

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3