Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
FC Brussels

DJLast
Junior Team Star

Nov 25, 2008, 12:14 AM

Team(s): Brighton & Hove Albion/Lewes FC

Post #1 of 10 (1377 views)
Shortcut
FC Brussels Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hi Chaps,

I'm off to see FC Brussels this Sunday. Has anyone been before!? Any tips and pre-match drinking venues much appreciated.

Whilst I'm on there is a new Facebook group you can join here which currently has 266 photos of European Stadiums:

Facebook

Cheers

http://www.europeanfootballweekends.co.uk

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 25, 2008, 9:03 AM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #2 of 10 (1357 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DJLast] FC Brussels [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Unfortunately your link is blocked on my work computer as it is categorised as 'Dating and Matchmaking'!

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 25, 2008, 1:32 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #3 of 10 (1325 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] FC Brussels [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes the Belgian grounds group on Facebook is excellent, though I've just realised I haven't clicked on it, and am assuming it is the Brussels gorunds one!

Are there any other similar groups on Facebook?

Edit: 12.45am-Wednesday morning: Just clicked on the link, it's not the Brussels grounds one.

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

(This post was edited by Mishi on Nov 26, 2008, 12:57 AM)

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Nov 25, 2008, 4:47 PM

Team(s): Leyton Orient, Hastings United, CA Huracan

Post #4 of 10 (1306 views)
Shortcut

I've seen games at the ground a few times, but so long ago that the club was still RWD Molenbeek at the time. So I forget what bars I used around the ground - it's quite residential as I recall.

But you'd be remiss not to find time for Cafe Delirium at Impasse Fidelite in the City centre.

ciderjon
First Team Star

Nov 26, 2008, 11:00 AM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 10 (1265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StephenHarris] FC Brussels [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mr Harris is a very experienced Brussels hand, but I need to warn you that Delirium can be a very frustrating place indeed. It has become a bit of a victim of its own success really. Yes it does have 2004 different beers (they claim they have another 200 in the cellar in case they run out),but only in the basement bar. There appears to be only three or so beer lists and when/if you can get hold of them the beers are poorly laid out in alphabetical order rather than by brewery or style either of which I think would be more customer friendly.Mostly it's crammed full and the service at best of times is creaky/cranky.Obviously you need to go to find some rare beer ticks but we have found the best time to visit is either 3pm or 3am (I'll leave the choice to you!)

If you find anywhere interesting to drink in Molenbeek,that would be a first (let us know!)

Last new Belgian beer: Lupulus (formerly Trois Fourquets) Triple 8.5% bc (808)

DJLast
Junior Team Star

Nov 26, 2008, 12:02 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ciderjon] FC Brussels [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cheers for the advice chaps and sorry that the Facebook group has been 'blocked' at work. I don't think a site that boasts over 300 photos of European Football grounds is necessarily the place where you're going to find a date but you never know Wink

I've heard that the area around the ground isn't all that salubrious but then I quite like that in a way. I don't mind straying off the tourist route and meeting the locals.

My biggest fear is actually the weather and the thought of the game being called off.

Cheers

abbswolf
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 26, 2008, 10:10 PM

Team(s): Wolves / Groundhopper

Post #7 of 10 (1218 views)
Shortcut

The weather forecast in Brussels this weekend is nothing like as bad as last. Just to (slightly) worry you, last season FC Brussels "deliberately" (allegedly) failed to get their floodlights working and the match was duly postponed.

As I wrote at the time, "The Belgian FA have confirmed that FC Brussels were entirely to blame for the floodlight failure at the FC Brussels v. RC Genk fixture on 8 Dec 2007 and therefore a forfeit score of 0-5 will stand ! "

FC Brussels are not necessarily related to RWD Molenbeek and gobbled-up Strombeek, taking their league status, when in dire financial straits some years ago. The previous RWDM Molenbeek are now re-formed in Brabant Prov 3 (with all the original club colours, etc) and for half a season a couple of years ago played back on the plastic pitch adjacent to the main Edmond Machtens stadium. When I tried to see a game on the plastic, the "true" Molenbeek club had been kicked-out only 36 hours before the game !

(This post was edited by abbswolf on Nov 26, 2008, 10:11 PM)

DJLast
Junior Team Star

Nov 27, 2008, 11:37 PM

Post #8 of 10 (1171 views)
Shortcut
Re: [abbswolf] FC Brussels [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Heavy snow forecast for Sunday now according to the Beeb Unsure

abbswolf
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 28, 2008, 3:55 PM

Team(s): Wolves / Groundhopper

Post #9 of 10 (1142 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Heavy snow forecast for Sunday now according to the Beeb Unsure

Yes - snow turning to rain - 4 degrees.

DJLast
Junior Team Star

Dec 1, 2008, 1:16 PM

Post #10 of 10 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Re: [abbswolf] FC Brussels [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Report and photos now online if you've nothing better to do:

http://europeanfootballweekends.blogspot.com/2008/12/fc-brussels-v-kas-eupen.html

Cheers Smile

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3