Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Belgian games off or abandoned today !

abbswolf
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 23, 2008, 8:01 PM

Team(s): Wolves / Groundhopper

Post #1 of 19 (3908 views)
Shortcut
Belgian games off or abandoned today ! Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hope not too many of you ventured into Belgium today - even I had a day off !

24 league games abandoned due to snow. Most Oost, West, Antwerpen off or abandoned; all levels. Some Brabant ditto with only Limburg games generally surviving. All Luxembourg, Liege, Namur and Hainaut provincial games called off early Friday / Saturday.

Stana reports his match (Kruibeke - Bellem, Oost Vlaanderen Prov 1) stopped for 15 mins while lines were cleared and game ended under thick snow cover - lucky ...

(This post was edited by abbswolf on Nov 23, 2008, 8:03 PM)

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 24, 2008, 1:53 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #2 of 19 (3848 views)
Shortcut
Re: [abbswolf] Belgian games off or abandoned today ! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Oh dear!
How often does it snow in Belgium?
I'm over there this coming weekend!

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

stana
Youth Team Sub

Nov 24, 2008, 6:53 PM

Post #3 of 19 (3812 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Belgian games off or abandoned today ! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Winters in Belgium do seem to be slighty colder and more severe (frostier/snowier) than in the South of England, with the Southern provinces (Luxembourg, Liege, Namur and Hainaut) generally worst affected. But don't worry too much: last Sunday was not typical. The problem was that snow arrived around kick off time for many matches. At this time of year the Belgian FA website (www.footbel.com) has a section for postponements (Remises in French or Afgelastingen in Flemish) that will give notice of any advance call offs - when there is bad weather or when it is forecast, the administrators of the National Leagues (Jupiler League down to Promotions) or Provincial Leagues may decide in advance that either all or certain categories of matches in their Leagues will be postponed and this information will be posted on the website. So it may be useful to check this towards the end of this week.

As for my match at Kruibeke (in the North East corner of Oost-Vlaanderen province, not far from the city of Antwerp) the very light snow that fell during the first half had almost no effect on the game or pitch. However, snowfall intensified after half time and the pitch quickly became covered. With an hour gone, the referee consulted a linesman, blew his whistle and motioned the players towards the dressing rooms. My initial thought and that of a few others judging by the boos of some spectators was that the game had been abandoned, But not so! Home officials soon emerged with various implements and began clearing the lines, then 15 minutes and an orange ball later we were underway again - with snow still falling. I must add at this point that although the game kicked off at the 'non-floodlit' time 2-30, lights were available and were used from the start. Had they not been, this delay in play would probably have meant the game having to be abandoned because of bad light!

The remaining 30 minutes were played on an increasingly snow covered pitch, with the orange ball fast becoming white whenever it rolled more than a few yards. There probably should have been a further line clearing break with about 15 minutes to play, but thankfully the referee just seemed to want to complete the fixture. There were few complaints from the players about conditions even when on several occasions the ref made over generous allowance for them by not giving what seemed clear fouls.

Final whistle (about a minute early by my timing, but that may have been confused by the match being stopped) and a huge sigh of relief from me that the game had been completed! I can't believe that many refs would have allowed play to continue in such conditions.

For the record, visitors Bellem missed hatfuls of chances (mostly in the first 15-20 minutes) before going ahead from the spot 10 minutes before half time. Kruibeke scrambled an equaliser a couple of minutes after the 'snow' break. Further chances at both ends, but no more goals.

Admission: 6 euros. Est Att: 170 (though less for the last 30 mins. I think some went home, others stayed in the clubhouse bar). No programme, but a nicely printed A4 teamsheet available in the clubhouse before kick off.

Mishi

Nov 25, 2008, 1:42 PM

Post #4 of 19 (3762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stana] Belgian games off or abandoned today ! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well I've already bought my Eurostar ticket, as it's the 59 advance saver one. I'm staying with friends in Namur, so I'll enjoy myself anyway.

Nor sure exactly what games I'm going to, but on Friday I hope to be at FCV Dender EH v. Anderlecht, if my mate Nicolas has sorted out the tickets. If not a local game in the Namur area at Jambes.
On the Saturday afternoon I'll be watching him play for a very local side. He's in their reserves. In the event is the 'main event' for me: Royal Antwerp versus UR Namur. On the Sunday he will take me to a local game in the namur area. So my camera will be busy! ;-)

On the Friday, assuming it's Dender, he says I should visit the next town aalst, as their third division side Eendracht Aalst 2002 has a nice ground to look at.

My question to anyone with in depth Belgian knowledge is:

Are there any other grounds in both Aalst & Denderleeuw that I can look at and photograph? By 'ground' I mean any level, as long as it's railed off, preferably with a photogenic little stand! ;-)

On the Monday I will head back to Brussels & take pictures of a few grounds there, before getting the Eurostar home in the evening.

Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]

Workington Reds
Youth Team Sub

Nov 25, 2008, 2:34 PM

Post #5 of 19 (3751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Belgian games off or abandoned today ! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I had a disaster at the weekend. I had two games planned at St Eloois Winkel Sport and KVK Kortrijk.

There was one mighty snow storm on the outskirts of Kortijk. I was on the ring road when it started and driving was extremely difficult. I eventually got to Winkel Sports ground and you could hardly see infront of you. I didn't expect the game to be on but when I got to the pay box the game had started and I paid my 7.50 euros to get in. I popped into the clubhouse to see if I could pick up a programme or teamsheet and watched the game in warmth. Then suddenly the referee took the teams off the pitch and the brushes came out. So I got to see 5 minutes of football. There was no way the game could restart. Even with lots of sweeping you couldn't see the pitch markings.

For the record:
Admission 7.50 euros
No programme but a basic A4 teamsheet was found in the clubhouse.

I decided to head to SW Harelbeke instead but driving had become really treacherous so I abandoned the idea. I eventualy made my way to Kortrijks ground. The lights were on, stewards in place and some supporters in the ground. I managed to pick up a programme in one of the VIP areas. With 45 minutes to kick off the game was cancelled and the floodlights switched off.

Admission 7.50 euros
Programme; 12 pages A4 free of charge.

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Nov 25, 2008, 5:01 PM

Team(s): Leyton Orient, Hastings United, CA Huracan

Post #6 of 19 (3733 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Are there any other grounds in both Aalst & Denderleeuw that I can look at and photograph? By 'ground' I mean any level, as long as it's railed off, preferably with a photogenic little stand! ;-)

When you get to Dender's ground, walk on past it and you will come to three or four immaculate, floodlit outer pitches. Keep walking and there is a tumbledown, scruffy little non-league ground belonging to a different club whose name I forget (possibly Standard Denderleew). I think it will meet your small but photogenic criteria.

(This post was edited by StephenHarris on Nov 25, 2008, 5:02 PM)

andysanktpauli
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 25, 2008, 6:19 PM

Team(s): Ramsgate,FC St Pauli,Tranmere Rovers

Post #7 of 19 (3716 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StephenHarris] Belgian games off or abandoned today ! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

@Mishi,

Royal Union St Gillois's Stade Joseph Marien is nice and close to the
city centre in Brussels.
I took the tram from Midi/Zuid and it's about 8 stops(10 mins) to the
nearest stop, then it's up the road directly opposite(there's a sign as
you get off the tram) and the Stadium is only a 3/4 min walk up the road.
Sure that you will be impressed by the main facade of the stadium, very old
fashioned with lots of proper brickwork and Portland stone with sporting
images carved.
If the main entrance is open, there's a superb stained glass window with
the RUSG crest in, also by these are three wonderful marble memorials to
former presidents.
It's possible to get a view of the ground as well by walking into the park
next to the ground, following the path as it inclines up, you have a fairly
decent view of the main stand.
There's what appears to have been an old entrance as well up the top
of this incline.

I got the no.82 tram from Midi heading towards Drogenbas Chateau and got
off at the stop "Chataignes"

May also be of interest but if you look at the Brussels transport website
www.stib.be and go to plan de reseau, it's possible to follow the route
on there, Uccle Sports looks to be near the end of the 97 tram route, this
also follows the route of the 82 for a while.

Grounds Visited; 977

Last ground, Peckham Town, Menace Arena
Peckham Town 3 Metrogas 0

(This post was edited by andysanktpauli on Nov 25, 2008, 6:37 PM)

Mishi

Nov 26, 2008, 1:08 AM

Post #8 of 19 (3697 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andysanktpauli] Belgian games off or abandoned today ! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Stephen: Thank you for the small club in Denderleeuw. I will certainly take a look at it.

Andy: Thank you for those two. I saw a game at USG in February, the day after Dulwich Hamlet Supporters' Team played UR Namur supporters' & watched the UR Namur first team in the evening. On the Monday I found the Uccle ground & took photos. apparently they have knocked down the old wooden stand, & erected a new one, so I will try to go back & snap it.

I'm hoping to upload some of my photos from last February on my grounds blog sometime tomorrow, & will include these two on it.

When I do I'll 'plug them' on this part of the messageboard.

stana
Youth Team Sub

Nov 26, 2008, 6:22 PM

Post #9 of 19 (3656 views)
Shortcut

Eendracht Aalst's ground is certainly worth a visit. On the southern side of town in Kerkhoflaan, next to a cemetry and fairly close to the E40 motorway which passes Aalst, you'll find the Complex Haring. This was the ground of SK Aaalst, prior to their merger a few years ago with local village club Lebeke, to form the current SK Lebeke-Aalst. Almost immediately post merger the club were in the Promotion (level 4) but are presently playing two levels lower, in Oost-Vlaanderen Provincial 2.

The Complex Haring ground is currently used by many of Lebeke-Aalst's reserve and junior teams and has a quite nice and oldish section of covered seating - or did when I visited probably six or seven years back. I think this would fulfil your photography criteria.

abbswolf
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 26, 2008, 9:38 PM

Post #10 of 19 (3632 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StephenHarris] Belgian games off or abandoned today ! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Standaard Denderleeuw at Cmp: Armand De Pelsmaeker in Walleken - currently playing in Oost Vlaanderen 4D

abbswolf
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 26, 2008, 9:39 PM

Post #11 of 19 (3631 views)
Shortcut
Re: [abbswolf] Belgian games off or abandoned today ! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Last weekend's postponed or abandoned Belgian League matches (Div 3 - Div 4) will be re-arranged for the weekend of 20-21 December 2008

abbswolf
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 26, 2008, 9:47 PM

Post #12 of 19 (3630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington Reds] Belgian games off or abandoned today ! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Some years ago now (West Vlaanderen days) I too suffered a late postponement at SEW due to a rather heavy storm half hour before ko. One particular patch was still in a bad way when I returned some weeks later.

Although the road conditions were bad and if you had known what was occurring, KAA Gent managed to play their televised game at 20-30 Sunday evening, losing 2-3 versus Racing Genk (att 10,350).

abbswolf
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 26, 2008, 9:54 PM

Post #13 of 19 (3628 views)
Shortcut

The snow forecast originally for Belgium this weekend appears to have changed to early part of next week instead, so with luck, no probs. I'm heading for Liege myself.

Mishi

Nov 27, 2008, 2:14 AM

Post #14 of 19 (3614 views)
Shortcut

So fingers crossed the weather will be ok!

I've slowly started adding Belgian grounds to my photoblog, here are the first:

I've started to publish some snaps from my previous visit there in January, and am back over there this weekend, so I'll have even more of a Belgian backlog!
Which isn't such a bad thing, as it means the blog ticks over as & when I get round to uploading them! ;-)

Two cracking grounds to start off my Belgian ones:

Union Saint Gilloise, widely accepted as the msot beautiful ground in the entire country:

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/...russels-belgium.html

And Royal Leopold Uccle Forestoise, who are also from Brussels, whose old wooden stand has been demolished since i took these photos:

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/...stoise-brussels.html

Also Royal Uccle Sport, a hockey club, the first hockey ground in my collection:

http://hoppysnaps.blogspot.com/...russels-belgium.html

More to follow!

Chris1963

Nov 27, 2008, 1:22 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #15 of 19 (3576 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington Reds] Belgian games off or abandoned today ! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I had a disaster at the weekend. I had two games planned at St Eloois Winkel Sport and KVK Kortrijk.

There was one mighty snow storm on the outskirts of Kortijk. I was on the ring road when it started and driving was extremely difficult. I eventually got to Winkel Sports ground and you could hardly see infront of you. I didn't expect the game to be on but when I got to the pay box the game had started and I paid my 7.50 euros to get in. I popped into the clubhouse to see if I could pick up a programme or teamsheet and watched the game in warmth. Then suddenly the referee took the teams off the pitch and the brushes came out. So I got to see 5 minutes of football. There was no way the game could restart. Even with lots of sweeping you couldn't see the pitch markings.

For the record:
Admission 7.50 euros
No programme but a basic A4 teamsheet was found in the clubhouse.

I decided to head to SW Harelbeke instead but driving had become really treacherous so I abandoned the idea. I eventualy made my way to Kortrijks ground. The lights were on, stewards in place and some supporters in the ground. I managed to pick up a programme in one of the VIP areas. With 45 minutes to kick off the game was cancelled and the floodlights switched off.

Admission 7.50 euros
Programme; 12 pages A4 free of charge.

I was very sorry to read of your wasted trip, but it is not a good idea to book trips well in advance at this time of year. I never book Eurostar trips between November and early March (because they are too expensive to book at short notice), and if I make trips by other means (ferry or budget airlines) during the winter, I book as late as possible after checking the forecast. It's worth paying extra for not having to worry about the weather.

Barbie
First Team Regular

Nov 28, 2008, 9:26 AM

Team(s): Rye United RIP, Barry Town Utd

Post #16 of 19 (3535 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Belgian games off or abandoned today ! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This weekend is the big purile names tour.
Using some reserve games, I can see matches at Aarsele, Gits, Spermalie, Doggen and the local derby between Diksmuide & Coxyde Cool.
Throw in a game at Gentbrugge and Mechelen and it promises to be an orgy of footy.

abbswolf
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 28, 2008, 3:52 PM

Post #17 of 19 (3494 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Oh dear!

NO games are currently OFF in Belgium this weekend apart from ...

ALL Liege Provincial Reserves games.

ALL Luxembourg Provincial Reserves + Women's games.

abbswolf
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 29, 2008, 5:57 PM

Post #18 of 19 (3457 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
Oh dear!

NO games are currently OFF in Belgium this weekend apart from ...

ALL Liege Provincial Reserves games.

ALL Luxembourg Provincial Reserves + Women's games.

NO games OFF weekend - per Belg FA today - but snow forecast AM turning to rain from Noon.

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 29, 2008, 10:50 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #19 of 19 (3435 views)
Shortcut

One game off tomorrow
Faymonville - Wavre (Division 4D)

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3