Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Oct 13, 2008, 8:15 AM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #1 of 18 (3811 views)
Shortcut
Sunday 19th October Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Sunday Cup - 1st Round -2.00 ko - Elland v Seaburn

Top Halifax Sunday League side Elland, play their home games at Hullenedge Road, which is adjacent to Elland CC.

Elland are a decent side and were 2007 West Riding County Sunday Cup champions. Unfortunately, they have never won a game in this competition but did give former winners Coundon Conservatives a run for their money a few seasons back.

The last time I watched Merseysiders Seaburn was in March 2005 in the semi final at Marine, where a narrow 1-0 defeat to Albion Sports of Bradford (now a West Riding County Amateur side) denied them the chance to play in the Anfield final.

So, hopefully its set up for a reasonable game - a good local side against quality scouse opposition.

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Oct 13, 2008, 7:05 PM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #2 of 18 (3729 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yorks Amateur] Sunday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That is one of my choices for Sunday - a chance to visit old haunts as well as see a competitive football match.

May well see you there

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 16, 2008, 12:47 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #3 of 18 (3558 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorkieexile] Sunday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As someone who konws next to nothing about the FA Sunday Cup, apart from the fact it exists, how do you find out about the actual venues? The FA site lists games on Sunday, but not grounds.

Which, & where, are the games in Greater London please?

Thanks!

Grounds visited: 740
Last new ground: Marine FC; Rossett Park, Crosby, Merseyside. (Northern Premier League North West Division)
Last game: Thursday 18th July 2019: Fisher 1, Saffron Walden Town 2. [Pre season match]
Matches watched this season: 7
2017/18-New English grounds: 2; & foreign: 0

Darren Lovell
First Team Star

Oct 16, 2008, 1:36 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #4 of 18 (3545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Sunday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

http://www.thefa.com/...150922/16October.PDF

On the FA website, go to the FA Cup section (tab at the top).
Once there, scroll down to Competition Bulletins
Click through and you will find "Daily Fixtures And Results". On each day of the week, a pdf page is updated (shown in red) and all results, fixtures and various other details are covered for all of the FA's competitions. (The link for today's bulletin is above)

Every Friday the weekly bulletin is published which is also very helpful.

Hope that this helps?Smile

Grounds Visited 312
Last New Ground: Charlton Athletic
Last Game: Gillingham 3-1 Charlton Athletic
Pre-Season Friendly 20.07.19
Games In Season 2019-20: 6
New Grounds This Season: 0
Goals This Season: 22
Ave goals per game: 3.67

Chris1963

Oct 16, 2008, 2:11 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #5 of 18 (3528 views)
Shortcut

Mishi - you should subscribe to the 'Football traveller' magazine - this week's edition shows the venues for nearly all this Sunday's ties. (not that I'm going to any of them.)

When are Belstone FC - who have their own ground - going to join Saturday football?

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Oct 16, 2008, 2:12 PM)

Mishi

Oct 16, 2008, 5:23 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #6 of 18 (3481 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Sunday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thank you Darren, that's what I was looking for.
Chris: Whilst the Traveller is a superb little publication I do not travel enough for it to be financially worthwhile, as most of my spare football dates are watching the Hamlet, with a few European trips thrown in.
So it's only on the odd occassion that it would come in useful.
Unfortunately I do not have the spare cash to subscribe to it at the moment, but I may do in a few years time when I've cleared a few more longstanding debts.

Grounds visited: 740
Last new ground: Marine FC; Rossett Park, Crosby, Merseyside. (Northern Premier League North West Division)
Last game: Thursday 18th July 2019: Fisher 1, Saffron Walden Town 2. [Pre season match]
Matches watched this season: 7
2017/18-New English grounds: 2; & foreign: 0

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Oct 16, 2008, 5:56 PM

Post #7 of 18 (3464 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
As someone who konws next to nothing about the FA Sunday Cup, apart from the fact it exists, how do you find out about the actual venues? The FA site lists games on Sunday, but not grounds.

Thanks!

I've been watching games in this competition since the mid 1980's and have nothing but praise for it.

Whilst I can't say for certain how many games I've watched in it, it must be approaching 100. I've watched 3 finals and 6 semi finals and enjoy the standard of the football I've seen.

Some hoppers I spoken to over the years won't give this competition house room. I can't understand why, as I've seen players from steps 2, 3 & 4 playing in this, so these are not 16 stone idiots with beer bellies shaking off hangovers from the night before.

One hopper point blank refuses to watch it but happily owned up to watching the East Lancs league, which is a far inferior level of football, in my opinion.

This sort of attitiude may well explain why the FA Sunday Cup does not get much of a mention on this forum.

I hope you find a local game and enjoy it. I'll read your comments after the game with interest Smile

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Oct 16, 2008, 6:17 PM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #8 of 18 (3459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yorks Amateur] Sunday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I watched my first games (4 of them) last season - and enjoyed every one of them. I saw home games at Mackadown Sports (just under the flight - path to Birmingham Airport) for Nicosia (sadly in Liverpool, not Cyprus), somebody at the White Lion Ground in Edgware (visitors from Co Durham travelled the evening before, and were almost a Northern League Select XI), and a semi-final at AFC Sudbury for a team from Brantham against the other Northern team who got that far. On semi-final day, had I picked the other game to go to, Steven Gerrard would have been watching the same game as me - he might even have wanted my autograph!

I can certainly strongly recommend it

KnowYourMarket

Oct 16, 2008, 8:36 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #9 of 18 (3417 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorkieexile] Sunday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As you recommend your autograph so highly I will ask you to sign my programme next time I see you. I saw Ryan Giggs at Faro airport this year, not sure he was looking for you though?

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Oct 16, 2008, 10:42 PM

Post #10 of 18 (3387 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I watched my first games (4 of them) last season - and enjoyed every one of them. I saw home games at Mackadown Sports (just under the flight - path to Birmingham Airport) for Nicosia (sadly in Liverpool, not Cyprus), somebody at the White Lion Ground in Edgware (visitors from Co Durham travelled the evening before, and were almost a Northern League Select XI), and a semi-final at AFC Sudbury for a team from Brantham against the other Northern team who got that far. On semi-final day, had I picked the other game to go to, Steven Gerrard would have been watching the same game as me - he might even have wanted my autograph!

I can certainly strongly recommend it

This will no doubt confirm my status as an FA Sunday Cup 'geek' but the game at Edgware Town's ground was in the 5th round between St Andrews (Sunday) and Hetton Lyons CC (0-4).

The semi final at Sudbury was Brantham Athletic 1 Coundon Conservative 2.

For the uninitiated, Hetton are the 2006 & 2008 Champions. Coundon lifted the cup in 2007, when they knocked Hetton out in a 2nd round penalty shoot out.

Hetton gained their revenge with a 3-2 win in last seasons final, so its fair to say that these two are the teams to beat (or watch !!)

Salfordcitymad
Ballboy/girl

Oct 17, 2008, 12:28 AM

Post #11 of 18 (3348 views)
Shortcut

do any of these games produce programmes??

AndrewG
First Team Star

Oct 17, 2008, 12:55 AM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 18 (3339 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Salfordcitymad] Sunday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Quote from this season's FA Sunday Cup handbook -

'Clubs playing in FA Competitions must produce a match day programme or team sheet for all FA Sunday Cup fixtures'.

My experience is that the vast majority comply with this rule, albeit often with quite basic issues, although I have seen a couple of FA Sunday Cup ties without programmes. As always, if a programme is for some reason crucial to your visit, best to check with the home club in advance (contact details for Sunday teams are also on 'Find a Club').

Seagull
First Team Star

Oct 17, 2008, 9:08 AM

Post #13 of 18 (3306 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Thanks!

I've been watching games in this competition since the mid 1980's and have nothing but praise for it.

Whilst I can't say for certain how many games I've watched in it, it must be approaching 100. I've watched 3 finals and 6 semi finals and enjoy the standard of the football I've seen.

Some hoppers I spoken to over the years won't give this competition house room. I can't understand why, as I've seen players from steps 2, 3 & 4 playing in this, so these are not 16 stone idiots with beer bellies shaking off hangovers from the night before.

One hopper point blank refuses to watch it but happily owned up to watching the East Lancs league, which is a far inferior level of football, in my opinion.

This sort of attitiude may well explain why the FA Sunday Cup does not get much of a mention on this forum.

I hope you find a local game and enjoy it. I'll read your comments after the game with interest Smile

That could easily apply to me Blush, but personally I prefer to visit clubs who play in Saturday Football who have their own grounds and a sense of place in a community.

I did try Sunday Football for a good while, 15 or so years ago, but it left me a bit cold, I just couldn't get into it at all.

They had the feel of teams, ie a manager and his mates, rather than clubs, just renting a club's ground or council rec to play on (not that there's owt wrong with that in itself).

Now I'm not saying they are all like that, and equally there are a few in Saturday football that have that same sort of feel, but in my personal experience that lack of a true "club feel" was what put me off, not the actual quality on offer.

For many people though, the standard or quality of the football isn't actually a big deal, it's all part of the day out.

As ever, it's each to their own. I'd never dismiss anyone who was enthusiastic about Sunday Football, just do as you please and enjoy the hobby.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 17, 2008, 9:16 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #14 of 18 (3304 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Sunday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Similarly, part of the attraction of football watching is the visits to different grounds. If Sunday clubs had their own grounds (yes I know there are a few, Queensmen, opposite Ampthill Town is one, along with the one in Elland by the sounds of it) I would probably make the effort. Sadly in the Sunday Cup most hire local Saturday club's grounds. Normal Sunday League matches tend to take place on large open spaces with sometimes many games being played at once. I once spent a morning in Winsford at the top of a bank watching about 6 games simultaneously. Not really what I'm looking for.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

Fatboyfat
Reserve Team Star

Oct 17, 2008, 9:39 AM

Post #15 of 18 (3296 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Sunday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Personally, I love Sunday footie and the FA Sunday cup in particular. Having spent several years running a Sunday club in the depths of the Upper Thames Valley Sunday league I can assure you that a club spirit is engendered and we even had our own ground for a while. This in turn attracted several groundhoppers to our games, particularly as we issued programmes as well.

In common with several other members of this forum, I am keen to collect Sunday club programmes and will be at Hawkins Sports in Cheslyn Hay this Sunday searching for that elusive bit of paper! Anyone else going to an FA Sunday cup game who would like to exchange for a programme from my game please send me a PM.

acmold

Oct 17, 2008, 9:53 AM

Post #16 of 18 (3288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fatboyfat] Sunday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or

I have watched 6 or 7 Sunday Cup ties over the years, mostly clubs on their own grounds, if that ground comes into Saturday football I tend to re-visit it. I think there is one tie this year that might interest me that is the one at Radlett which I am told is only used for Sunday football.

I used to play Sunday football until I broke my leg, in the Oxford Sunday League and the Upper Thames Valley Sunday League, the latter where there is a large number of grounds you can play on with Didcot Power Station in the back ground. All those grounds I played on were not counted in my records and I have visited them all for Saturday games, except Abingdon Pavlova which is now a wharehouse.

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Oct 17, 2008, 10:09 AM

Post #17 of 18 (3282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Salfordcitymad] Sunday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
do any of these games produce programmes??

As Andy said, most teams tend to comply with the FA's guidelines but some sadly fall in to the 'can't be bothered' category.

I went to watch Queensbury play JOB last season at Liversedge. Queensbury told us that they haven't issued for a while, due to the low crowds they attract. Their usual fans don't query this, as they don't issue for league and other cup games, so there are no problems there. It's only hoppers/collectors who might quote the FA rule about issuing to them.

As regards the venue, that doesn't bother me as I'm happy doing revisits. If I only watched football on new grounds, I'd only watch midweek football at the beginning and end of the season.

Whilst I have nothing against Sunday football, I usually only watch this competition and the latter stages of the West Riding County Sunday Cup. The reason for this is my restricted availability to watch games and because Sunday is the only time I get anything approaching a lie in !!!

AndrewG
First Team Star

Oct 17, 2008, 8:35 PM

Team(s):

Post #18 of 18 (3173 views)
Shortcut

Planning to take in Grey Horse's debut in the competition against Liverpool Sunday League Division 1 leaders Sandstone at the Lancaster Club in Failsworth.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3