Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Where did you go Thurs 2nd Oct?

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 3, 2008, 5:36 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #1 of 9 (3151 views)
Shortcut
Where did you go Thurs 2nd Oct? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was I the only one at a match last night? Oh well....

Manchester City 2-1 Omonia (agg. 4-2)
Uefa Cup 1
Att. 25304

Finally got round to doing (Middle) Eastlands, taking advantage of the reduced admission for this game. I paid £15 - if I had the same seat for their next game against Liverpool it would cost £44!!! Superb view from the 2nd tier as near to the halfway line as you can get without going corporate. Really liked the ground, and very impressed with the turnout from Cyprus - must have been well over 1000, giving it loads throughout the game. As for the game, well City just about did enough, despite being at full strength. The 1st half was painfully slow, but it picked up after the break. A couple of quick goals and it was game over. Omonia deservedly scored a late consolation - they were positive throughout, and played decent footie without the need to kick lumps out of anything that moved. Enjoyable night out mixing with the big boys. Back to reality on Saturday.

jimmyjazz
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 3, 2008, 8:43 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 9 (3117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Where did you go Thurs 2nd Oct? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No you were not alone...the chance to sit in the sky and take my shoes off with the other Holte Enders was too much to resist.

Aston Villa 1 Litex Lovech 1 (4-2 agg) UEFA Cup 1st Rnd 2nd. leg
Attendance 27,230
Admission £10

I simply can't begin to imagine what this ground was like with mostly terracing, it's huge as it is. The home support were great, plenty of original chants (Agbonlahor's name chanted to the tune of Culture Club's Karma Chameleon just for starters, note he didn't even play!). This made up for a decidedly average match, Harewood's strike aside. Best moment was when the Litex left-back got a ball to the crown jewels, and the physios unusual attempts to remedy the discomfort. And I managed to catch the first train back to New Street-result all round.

(This post was edited by MKJames on Oct 3, 2008, 8:52 PM)

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 3, 2008, 9:02 PM

Post #3 of 9 (3109 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MKJames] Where did you go Thurs 2nd Oct? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Attendance 27,230
Admission £10

I simply can't begin to imagine what this ground was like with mostly terracing, it's huge as it is.

I can tell you that that huge bank of terracing, coupled with excellent accoustics, means that you got a fantastic atmosphere. I had the privelege in 1982. (FA Cup S/F Spurs 2 Leicester C 0) Smile Aah, they were the days.....Unsure

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Simple Pieman
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 4, 2008, 8:47 AM

Team(s): Tottenham Hotspur and (When I can) Harlow Town

Post #4 of 9 (3048 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Where did you go Thurs 2nd Oct? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

http://pieandmushypeas.blogspot.com/...9/wisa-krakw-fc.html

Wisla Kraków 1 Tottenham Hotspur 1 - UEFA Cup 1st Round, 2nd Leg

An interesting place and experience.

http://pieandmushypeas.blogspot.com

(This post was edited by Simple Pieman on Oct 4, 2008, 8:50 AM)

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 4, 2008, 10:11 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #5 of 9 (2963 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Where did you go Thurs 2nd Oct? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Attendance 27,230
Admission £10

I simply can't begin to imagine what this ground was like with mostly terracing, it's huge as it is.

I can tell you that that huge bank of terracing, coupled with excellent accoustics, means that you got a fantastic atmosphere. I had the privelege in 1982. (FA Cup S/F Spurs 2 Leicester C 0) Smile Aah, they were the days.....Unsure

I think it must have helped to be partisan Mr Punk ! I went to that game as it was the penultimate match on my own Road to Wembley and it was complete toilet. I consider myself extremely lucky that I failed to get a ticket for the Final (Spurs vs QPR) as that was just as bad !

UKPunk

Oct 4, 2008, 10:28 PM

Post #6 of 9 (2956 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where did you go Thurs 2nd Oct? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Attendance 27,230
Admission £10

I think it must have helped to be partisan Mr Punk ! I went to that game as it was the penultimate match on my own Road to Wembley and it was complete toilet. I consider myself extremely lucky that I failed to get a ticket for the Final (Spurs vs QPR) as that was just as bad !

You do have a fair point re: partisanship, buncranaboy. But then compared to the sanitised, plastic all seaters we have now I must say I'd go back to terracing tomorrow. There's not the same atmosphere anymore, largely down to the fact that the fans who create the atmosphere tend to be spread out across the whole stadium rather than concentrated in one or two parts of the ground.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Jamesie
Deleted

Oct 4, 2008, 10:40 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 9 (2948 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Where did you go Thurs 2nd Oct? [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Was I the only one at a match last night? Oh well....

Manchester City 2-1 Omonia (agg. 4-2)
Uefa Cup 1
Att. 25304

Finally got round to doing (Middle) Eastlands, taking advantage of the reduced admission for this game. I paid £15 - if I had the same seat for their next game against Liverpool it would cost £44!!! Superb view from the 2nd tier as near to the halfway line as you can get without going corporate. Really liked the ground, and very impressed with the turnout from Cyprus - must have been well over 1000, giving it loads throughout the game. As for the game, well City just about did enough, despite being at full strength. The 1st half was painfully slow, but it picked up after the break. A couple of quick goals and it was game over. Omonia deservedly scored a late consolation - they were positive throughout, and played decent footie without the need to kick lumps out of anything that moved. Enjoyable night out mixing with the big boys. Back to reality on Saturday.

Ooops, missed this post Bantam - I was there too with Jamesie Jr the Sky Blue. Third time I've seen Omonia, so there was no surprise with their support, got a few good tales to do with their Ultras and flags. Also, it was my FIFTH visit to Eastlands this season. Not paying £44 tomorrow though. TV thank you very much for Junior!

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

acmold

Oct 5, 2008, 9:34 AM

Post #8 of 9 (2923 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Where did you go Thurs 2nd Oct? [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Attendance 27,230
Admission £10

I went to the final and the replay, only one(s) I've been to.

My father and grandfather used to go to the Villa on a regular basis in the 1930's. Used to be able to get a special train from Abingdon (Dr Beeching did for their station), Oxford, Banbury and Leamington in those day's, then a tram to Villa Park.

(This post was edited by acmold on Oct 5, 2008, 9:40 AM)

PJ
First Team Star

Oct 5, 2008, 8:43 PM

Team(s): Cogenhoe United/QPR/Npton Tn

Post #9 of 9 (2859 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Where did you go Thurs 2nd Oct? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Midland Youth Cup-1
Rushden & Diamonds youth 6 Hednesford Town youth 3
Adm £3 inc free team-sheet att 72.
very entertaining affair on pitch 2, but you had to feel a bit sorry for the visitors who played really well. In fact I'm sure they will play a lot worse and win this season. John Wiggleworth netted a hat-trick for the Diamonds, a 20 yard screamer the pick of the bunch.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3