Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
This section

Tony Kempster
Administrator

Sep 28, 2008, 2:30 PM

Team(s): Various

Post #1 of 19 (4705 views)
Shortcut
This section Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have set this section up so that Leo can move appropriate posts into it from other sections.

leohoenig
Administrator

Sep 28, 2008, 6:24 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #2 of 19 (4646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tony Kempster] This section [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks Tony, just what I have always wanted Angelic

So the debate for this thread is what goes into this section and how it differs from Non-League : Other countries ?

Also, should people's intentions to go to foreign matches and the reports be posted here, or in the "Where"? sections.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 28, 2008, 9:17 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #3 of 19 (4592 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] This section [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Leo - I was going to say that this moderation lark might keep you quiet for a while but upon reflection.........Tongue

For what it's worth I think that the "Where are you going" and "Where did you go" threads should include all visits whether NL or not or whether in this country or not - I mean, it's not as if the threads are ambiguous. Otherwise you could have posters who may be lucky enough to get a (let's say) Gillford Park and Annan double who would have to post their day's outing in 2 places
I also think that one International section should suffice - as someone else mentioned somewhere, where do you draw the line between what is and what isn't non-league in other countries ? And if the section is of little interest to some - then just move on to the sections that are of interest.
Personally I think it's a shame that the "Other Sport" section is no more but then again the "Where are you going" section will still allow for provision of information that would enable hoppers to combine football with something else, for example when a change of kick-off at a rugby match gives the chance of a double-header of sporting action.

(This post was edited by buncranaboy on Sep 28, 2008, 11:02 PM)

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Sep 29, 2008, 9:55 AM

Team(s): Leyton Orient, Hastings United, CA Huracan

Post #4 of 19 (4529 views)
Shortcut

Personally I would like to see discussion of upcoming foreign trips and reports from overseas games on an international part of the forum. I don't really have time to read all the daily match reports in the Groundhopping section but I do like to look out for the foreign ones for general interest and in case they contain useful information. For instance, I'm planning a trip to Belinzona in a few weeks time - there has been some discussion of that club here recently and I know where to look to check the details. I would never be able to find it if it was in the depths of a "Where are you going on ..." thread.

DJLast
Junior Team Star

Sep 30, 2008, 1:46 PM

Team(s): Brighton & Hove Albion/Lewes FC

Post #5 of 19 (4442 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StephenHarris] This section [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

For what it's worth I totally agree with the above comment from Mr Harris.

http://www.europeanfootballweekends.co.uk

Workington Reds
Youth Team Sub

Sep 30, 2008, 3:03 PM

Post #6 of 19 (4431 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DJLast] This section [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I really liked the International section as it was. I found it a good reference point when organising trips abroad and was also grateful for advice received from other posters.

I think everything "International" should stay in one section.

KnowYourMarket
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 30, 2008, 4:08 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #7 of 19 (4424 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington Reds] This section [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I will post my reports on both sections in future.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

MattRamLives
First Team Sub

Sep 30, 2008, 4:45 PM

Team(s): Every Derbyshire team

Post #8 of 19 (4419 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington Reds] This section [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I really liked the International section as it was. I found it a good reference point when organising trips abroad and was also grateful for advice received from other posters.

I've not been abroad (Wales excepted) since 1996 but I really enjoy reading the experiences of those who have - whether top level or park level, I went then to Sorrento but they were nt playing - I did ask about going to Napoli or Salerno but was pretty much put of both - and it was my honeymoon (1st time round anyway)
When I get myself organised - probably a year or two, this is where I'd like to go

Iceland - someone gave some good advice before on here but I would particularly like to go Akranes - Derby played a friendly there a couple of years back and the subs went for a dip in the sea behind one goal during the game. Looked a fantastic setting.
Norway - somewhere scenic and cheap?
and Croatia - I hear it can be a bit ropy - but somewhere possibly in the south, possibly combined with a trip to Bosnia-H...

Dave R
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 30, 2008, 11:33 PM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 19 (4383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MattRamLives] This section [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I've not been abroad (Wales excepted) since 1996 but I really enjoy reading the experiences of those who have - whether top level or park level, I went then to Sorrento but they were nt playing - I did ask about going to Napoli or Salerno but was pretty much put of both - and it was my honeymoon (1st time round anyway)
When I get myself organised - probably a year or two, this is where I'd like to go

Iceland - someone gave some good advice before on here but I would particularly like to go Akranes - Derby played a friendly there a couple of years back and the subs went for a dip in the sea behind one goal during the game. Looked a fantastic setting.
Norway - somewhere scenic and cheap?
and Croatia - I hear it can be a bit ropy - but somewhere possibly in the south, possibly combined with a trip to Bosnia-H...

I haven't been on many football trips abroad but I'm happy to pass on my limited experience of Norway having gone to the SK Brann v Everton game last season.

Scenic - no problem. Superb.

Cheap - that's a different story. We found a bar which sold beer at 3.50 a pint (or probably half litre) but all the other bars we visited were between 6 and 8 a pint. A standard Burger King meal (burger, chips, coke) was 11. I read somewhere recently that Norway is the third most expensive country in the world after Iceland and Japan.

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Oct 1, 2008, 9:40 AM

Team(s): Leyton Orient, Hastings United, CA Huracan

Post #10 of 19 (4347 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Zagreb makes a pleasant and cheap City Break for a long weekend. Low-key sightseeing, good bars and restaurants, two top division clubs (albeit one much bigger than the other).

leohoenig
Administrator

Oct 1, 2008, 10:53 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #11 of 19 (4337 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StephenHarris] This section [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Any chance of keeping this thread on topic, and starting new threads to the quality of different places to go?

The sort of content that I wanted an opinion on which section, has now turned up as http://nlpl.co.uk/...;;page=unread#unread

Cheesemonster has placed this as "Any other football". I am looking for a consensus if I am to move the thread.
I could be in the right place already. It could be here (but it isn't groundhopping). It could be in Football in other countries (but not non-League).

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

sonofhod
Deleted

Oct 1, 2008, 12:12 PM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 19 (4316 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] This section [In reply to] Can't Post or

H Leo,
like the posts on this section, should we have a groundhopping International for each country ? I do not know the answer to this but it needs sorting. I recall somebody once posting an index for International/National websites would be a good idea , both you and I know where to look but some novices [not condescending ] do not ? Hope your administration would be similar to my own , like your torso !
Looking forward to Ajax tonight.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 1, 2008, 12:12 PM

Post #13 of 19 (4315 views)
Shortcut

I agree with Stephen Harris regarding keeping info/discussion on foreign trips separate from the daily 'where did you go' sections.

I also suggest that the 'Football in Other Countries' section under the non-league heading is confusing, not least because of the already raised difficulty in assessing what is 'non-league' in different countries. As 'foreign' (ie non UK/CI/IOM) football is probably a bit of a minority interest could it not all be placed in this (possibly renamed) new section.

Stuff like that about the UEFA Iraq decision seems logically placed in 'Any Other Football' as it is neither non-league or groundhopping.

KnowYourMarket

Oct 1, 2008, 12:29 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #14 of 19 (4308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sonofhod] This section [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think this may be what Hoddy was referring to:-

http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/overseasfooty.htm

I used it to plan my trip for this weekend and it came in handy. Most information supplied by Veteran and if anyone wants to add to it then please let me know.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

(This post was edited by modelhobbies on Oct 1, 2008, 12:30 PM)

Mishi

Oct 2, 2008, 11:38 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #15 of 19 (4245 views)
Shortcut
Re: [modelhobbies] This section [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I too like the idea of posts like European trips, and foreign enquiries for info going on here. It's nice to have them altogether, rahter than 'lost' in the general 'where have you been' threads.

With regard to foreign info, like the superb modelhobbies links, as someone who only (shamefully) speaks English could a group of you compile a list of the basic words needed in all the European lingos, even if extremely similar to the English ones, for a group of words, so it makes confusing websites easier to navigate for those of us not used to them?

Maybe: Fixtures; clubs; address; league table; that sort of thing.

Perhaps anyone who knows a website well from a certain country could do a brief description for modelhobbies to include on his guide.

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

3-1-5-1
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 3, 2008, 12:38 AM

Team(s): Sheff Wed, Gremio, Cwmbran and thirty others

Post #16 of 19 (4243 views)
Shortcut

I'd definitely recommend seeing a game in Split, in the south of Croatia. Hadjuk's Poljud stadium is great, although sadly it's rarely more than a quarter full for league games and they don't do programmes. The city itself is rather wonderful as well. The club shop's in one of the alleys in the Diocletian Palace, although this place is such a maze, I'd probably never find it again.

Croatian league games all take place on Sunday (at least this season) so you could combine a trip here with a game on the Saturday in Mostar, Bosnia (4 hours away by express bus), site of the famous bridge, and the contrast between the newly refurbished old town centre and the former "front line" which is still littered with bombed out buildings is a sobering experience.

You can get a game at either Zrinjski (the Croat team) or Velez (the Bosnian team). Beware though - Velez's stadium is about 5 miles out of town and there's no public transport. I got a taxi out there but had to walk back after the game. Had to find a bar for a good rest after that, I can tell you!

You can get a Velez shirt in some of the souvenir shops by the bridge, but there's no programmes, or even refreshments at the stadium.

Also, don't go anywhere near Mostar when the local derby is on!!

Eu sou Gaucho!

MattRamLives
First Team Sub

Oct 3, 2008, 10:04 AM

Team(s): Every Derbyshire team

Post #17 of 19 (4214 views)
Shortcut
Re: [3-1-5-1] This section [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cheers Gremio

My wife went to Croatia and loved it and a footy mad mate does as well as he did when he went into Bosnia. I saw a program about Mostar and how they rebuilt the bridge and things are getting back to some semblance of normality and would like to go there, though I don't know about diving off the bridge - bad back you see!

rambler77
First Team Star

Oct 3, 2008, 4:48 PM

Team(s): Oadby Town, Leicester City

Post #18 of 19 (4188 views)
Shortcut

Been to Croatia three times but all were in the summer so no chance of football. On my last visit four years ago we stayed in the town of Makarska which is about 1 hour south of Split. Managed to get a photo of the local stadium and also of the one in Trogir just north of split.

The one in Trogir is interesting. Despite being basic behind both goals are the old city walls.

I will post the pics on my blog later today of both grounds - too large to attach here.

Regarding Mostar - we went on a day trip and it was (typically) just a few days before they officially re-opened the bridge so could not walk across it.

http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/

aicwhu
First Team Sub

Oct 4, 2008, 10:07 AM

Team(s): west ham

Post #19 of 19 (4112 views)
Shortcut

my view is keep all international stuff together
it is really interesting and extremely helpful in working out my own occasional trips
and thanks to model hobbied for the links recently posted

andrew conway

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3