Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Groundhopping in Belarus

eesti7
First Team Sub

Sep 28, 2008, 11:56 AM

Team(s): Gillingham, Tonbridge

Post #1 of 13 (4225 views)
Shortcut
Groundhopping in Belarus Can't Post or Reply Privately

With the closure of the International section I thought I would re-post my response to a request for Belarusian fixtures.

I've just opened a new web-site about Belarus, www.whatsoninminsk.com and I've included the fixtures for all three national divisions for the weekends flanking England's visit in a couple of weeks.

The fixtures are here ... http://www.whatsoninminsk.com/...octoberfootball.aspx

If anybody requires any further fixtures or info on groundhopping or the country in general please get in touch and I'll do my best to help.

leohoenig
Administrator

Sep 28, 2008, 12:09 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #2 of 13 (4214 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eesti7] Groundhopping in Belarus [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've moved this here - partly because I have been itching to try out my new powers, and everyone has been behaving themselves this morning
But mainly, so as all messages on foreign football are in the one section.

The exception - posts in the where did you do/where are you going threads will not be moved (by me, anyway).

Hope people agree with me - my arguments being that this forum was originally and is mainly a non-League forum; but it is also widely used by groundhoppers, and some groundhoppers are interested in the information

I hope the regular discussions on world cup results, etc - also end up in this section.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

eesti7
First Team Sub

Sep 28, 2008, 12:15 PM

Post #3 of 13 (4212 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Groundhopping in Belarus [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

How about changing the title of the forum and take out the NL?

My post has absolutely nothing to do with non-league football in other countries.

Harley
First Team Regular

Oct 1, 2008, 7:02 PM

Post #4 of 13 (4074 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eesti7] Groundhopping in Belarus [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Eesti - which, if any, of the Minsk grounds can be accessed via metro (aside, of course, from the Dynamo Stadium), and am I likely to be able to gain access for a look around on the Tuesday/Thursday (October 14/16)?

You ask us what the aim is? I tell you it is victory. Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival. Either that, or fried onions at the tea bar. Fried onions at reasonable cost, fried onions in spite of all terror, fried onions however long and hard the hot-dogs may be; for without fried onions, there are only boiled ones.

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Oct 1, 2008, 8:44 PM

Post #5 of 13 (4058 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Harley] Groundhopping in Belarus [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Harley,

Both the Tractor and Torpedo stadiums are in the south east of the city and a few minutes walk from adjacent metro stops.
They're both on line 2. The Tractor is near Partizanskaya, the Torpedo is one stop further out of town, near Avtozavodskaya. They're easily close enough to walk between the two. Can't get cyryllic characters to come out on here but you should be able to get a bi-lingual metro map, and there's one in the Minsk bit of the Russia/Belarus Lonely Planet.

Tractor was home to MTZ-Ripo when I was there ('05) and we saw an U-17 international at the Torpedo so not sure if a club is/was using it. Not sure about access although there's a footpath up round the back of the Tractor so you'd be able to look in (people watched the game from there). Torpedo is in a more built up area but the grounds are much more likely to be municipally/state owned and therefore have people around even on non-match days

Nice city, enjoy the trip.

Harley
First Team Regular

Oct 1, 2008, 9:04 PM

Post #6 of 13 (4054 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Groundhopping in Belarus [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Harley,

Both the Tractor and Torpedo stadiums are in the south east of the city and a few minutes walk from adjacent metro stops.
They're both on line 2. The Tractor is near Partizanskaya, the Torpedo is one stop further out of town, near Avtozavodskaya. They're easily close enough to walk between the two. Can't get cyryllic characters to come out on here but you should be able to get a bi-lingual metro map, and there's one in the Minsk bit of the Russia/Belarus Lonely Planet.

Tractor was home to MTZ-Ripo when I was there ('05) and we saw an U-17 international at the Torpedo so not sure if a club is/was using it. Not sure about access although there's a footpath up round the back of the Tractor so you'd be able to look in (people watched the game from there). Torpedo is in a more built up area but the grounds are much more likely to be municipally/state owned and therefore have people around even on non-match days

Nice city, enjoy the trip.

Wow! Excellent, thanks. I'm staying at the Hotel Sputnik - I think it's near the old airport (or an airport of some kind) and the railway lines. Is that, do you know, near the two grounds mentioned above?

You ask us what the aim is? I tell you it is victory. Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival. Either that, or fried onions at the tea bar. Fried onions at reasonable cost, fried onions in spite of all terror, fried onions however long and hard the hot-dogs may be; for without fried onions, there are only boiled ones.

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Oct 1, 2008, 11:02 PM

Post #7 of 13 (4041 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Harley] Groundhopping in Belarus [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hotel Sputnik is south of the city centre and probably a good 4 miles round the bottom of town from the two grounds clicking a very rough route in google earth.

Best bet would be to head from the Sputnik towards the railway station and you'll pass Insitut Kultury metro stop (line 1) on your way, then you can change at the only place the two lines cross and head out on line 2. Or get a trolley bus/regular bus into the centre, find a metro stop and work it from there.

Harley
First Team Regular

Oct 1, 2008, 11:07 PM

Post #8 of 13 (4040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Groundhopping in Belarus [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Hotel Sputnik is south of the city centre and probably a good 4 miles round the bottom of town from the two grounds clicking a very rough route in google earth.

Best bet would be to head from the Sputnik towards the railway station and you'll pass Insitut Kultury metro stop (line 1) on your way, then you can change at the only place the two lines cross and head out on line 2. Or get a trolley bus/regular bus into the centre, find a metro stop and work it from there.

Great, many thanks. I think I'll be heading to those grounds on the Thursday. I might email the clubs first, but I don't think English is widely spoken and my Belarussian is not what it used to be!

eesti7
First Team Sub

Oct 1, 2008, 11:25 PM

Post #9 of 13 (4037 views)
Shortcut

Access to the Torpedo Stadium is restricted but it is only surrounded by railings so there are plenty of spots where you can get pictures of the stands, in particular a mound behind the near goal on the far side.

There is a cafe on the 2nd floor of the Tractor Stadium, which has a balcony in the main stand from which you can take pictures. Also you can get some very panoramic pictures of the ground from the park behind the goal.

Did you know that the Hotel Sputnik is only 15 minutes walk from the Lokomitiv Stadium, home of Premier League Lokomotiv Minsk? Come out of your hotel and follow the road that runs straight ahead of you. It's on the right but quite hidden. Sadly Lokomitiv play their home games in Molodechno, some 70km away, as the ground does not have the required capacity for the Premier League.

Please take a look at my web-site. I write quite extensively about the area around your hotel...http://www.whatsoninminsk.com/stay/budget.aspx

(This post was edited by eesti7 on Oct 1, 2008, 11:27 PM)

Harley
First Team Regular

Oct 2, 2008, 12:45 AM

Post #10 of 13 (4024 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Access to the Torpedo Stadium is restricted but it is only surrounded by railings so there are plenty of spots where you can get pictures of the stands, in particular a mound behind the near goal on the far side.

There is a cafe on the 2nd floor of the Tractor Stadium, which has a balcony in the main stand from which you can take pictures. Also you can get some very panoramic pictures of the ground from the park behind the goal.

Did you know that the Hotel Sputnik is only 15 minutes walk from the Lokomitiv Stadium, home of Premier League Lokomotiv Minsk? Come out of your hotel and follow the road that runs straight ahead of you. It's on the right but quite hidden. Sadly Lokomitiv play their home games in Molodechno, some 70km away, as the ground does not have the required capacity for the Premier League.

Please take a look at my web-site. I write quite extensively about the area around your hotel...http://www.whatsoninminsk.com/stay/budget.aspx

eesti - I've been visiting your site quite regularly over the last few days, and I intend to read the guides on what to do, where to visit etc before I leave.

It's a great site - what made you want to make it? Are you from Minsk originally?

eesti7
First Team Sub

Oct 2, 2008, 6:00 PM

Post #11 of 13 (3975 views)
Shortcut

Glad you like the site. Would welcome any feedback when you return from Minsk, inparticular a review of the Hotel Sputnik. My only experience of it was regular visits to the Taj indian restaurant that used to be where the hotel restaurant now is!

I lived in Minsk for four years and have always wanted to put together some kind of guide. I decided that if I didn't do it when England were due to visit then I never would.

I should also mention a fourth stadium in Minsk, home of bottom of the table Darida Minsk. It's unusual as it's a purpose built football stadium so no running track and it's quite neat and compact. It's in the village of kuntsevshina, about a fifteen minute walk from Kammenaya Gorka metro station.

I wouldn't recommend walking between the Tractor and Torpedo stadiums unless the weather's fine and you want to see a bit of the city. It's a good half hour walk. The 3 and 16 trolleybuses run along Partizanski Prospekt between the two as does the 93 bus. Alternatively take the metro one stop from Partizanskaya to Avtozavodskaya.

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 2, 2008, 11:24 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #12 of 13 (3949 views)
Shortcut

'a good half hour walk'???

Is it me...or is that a 'car driver' speaking? ;-)

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

eesti7
First Team Sub

Oct 3, 2008, 11:20 AM

Post #13 of 13 (3929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Groundhopping in Belarus [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not guilty, never driven a car in my life!!!

Just trying to 'manage expectations' as a previous post suggested it was an easy walk. As I say if you've plenty of time and the weather's fine then go for a walk and see a bit of city life! If you go for a beer in the cafe at the Tractor Stadium and then nature calls, there are toilets half way along the route next to the Belarus department store.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3