Message Board Future - the decision

Tony Kempster
Administrator

Sep 28, 2008, 11:05 AM

Team(s): Various

Post #1 of 16 (17797 views)
Shortcut
Message Board Future - the decision Can't Post or Reply Privately

After much thought and correspondence I can now let you know how the message board will work in the future.

For several financial and technical reasons it is not possible to split the board as I originally planned. However, Iím sure you will be pleased to know that the drastic cuts originally notified will not now be so severe. This is because leohoenig and Jamesie have agreed to be moderators on every section. For this they have my sincere thanks and Iím sure the thanks of the vast majority of posters on this board. This means that there will be at least 4 moderators in every section, Leo, Jamesie, Steve and myself. In addition there are extra moderators for some of the other sections. You can see who these are at the top of each section. We will all be operating to the same standard and will intervene with whatever action is necessary to firstly, get the standards of the board back to where they were and secondly to keep them there. Some of these actions will be taken without explanation and no debate will be entered into.

The following sections will be locked so no further postings can take place there. You will still be able to read old posts but posts will be deleted when they are a year old so the number of posts in these sections will reduce and when there are none left the section will be deleted. If there is any info you wish to keep from these sections, I suggest you take it before it is deleted.

Pre Season Friendlies Ė (will bring back next close season)
Close Season Silly Stuff
Ladies Football
Premiership and Football League (as this is a non-league board)
Everything Else Ė Football related
International
General Chat
Other sports

I would like to think that the same standards would be kept in any correspondence made through the private message facility. However, this will be more difficult to control because as it says it is a ďprivateĒ facility. However, I would encourage all users to keep all private messages civil.

Thank you all for your support and understanding

Tony

paignton-nick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 28, 2008, 4:49 PM

Team(s): Stevenage FC & Buckland Athletic

Post #2 of 16 (17712 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tony Kempster] Message Board Future - the decision [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Like the new style. Will be intersting to see what other members think.

Stevenage FC - Hertfordshire's finest!
Buckland Athletic- Pride of South Devon!

AndyE
First Team Star

Sep 28, 2008, 6:05 PM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #3 of 16 (17680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paignton-nick] Message Board Future - the decision [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That I've returned after not really wanting to post here for the last few weeks will make it clear what I think. Good work!

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Sep 28, 2008, 7:28 PM

Post #4 of 16 (17644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tony Kempster] Message Board Future - the decision [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think what you have done is splendid. In fact I was a little surprised you did not go a bit further by making the board fully non-league and deleting the sections on 'Games.' I would argue that these type of threads are more appropriate on other message boards and not on one devoted to non-league football.
I am very aware of your health problems TK and the less amount of work you have to supervise the better. You have created a wonderful website to which we must all be very grateful.

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 28, 2008, 7:51 PM

Post #5 of 16 (17632 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Message Board Future - the decision [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think this is a step forward for the messageboard. Now it's up to everyone to behave in a way that doesn't see a repitition of the recent problems between posters. May I also say that although I recognise that this forum is aimed predominantly at covering non league football, I'm glad that a rule hasn't been imposed whereby all league football discussion is banned. Not only would that present problems for cup matches between clubs league and non league clubs in the FA Cup, but it would alienate fans of clubs like Dagenham & redbridge who until recently played in non league football.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Frank/Gary
Deleted

Sep 28, 2008, 8:05 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 16 (17622 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Message Board Future - the decision [In reply to] Can't Post or

Well done Tony. Thanks for everything

2008/2009

48 games

Last game: Newcastle United 2 Spurs 1 (Premiership) 21/12/2008

9 new grounds

Last new ground: Reyrolle Sports & Social Ground, Hebburn Reyrolle

Heaton Winstons' League Campaign: P13 W6 D3 L4 F38 A30 GD+8 Pts 21 Pos 4/16

Last game: Grindon Vets 0 Winstons 3

"The waiter's stacking the chairs"

cooksmad
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 28, 2008, 9:53 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 16 (17566 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Frank/Gary] Message Board Future - the decision [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Am I the only one to disagree?

As i mentioned on the General forum just a few minutes ago the silly forum was a fantastic place were people who had questions like [grounds on hills...etc] could no longer bite their tongue.

You can't say questions like that no where else on the Forum as you'd look like a Clown.

If it solves the Problem i would be willing to look over the silly thread as admin of that.

sawted

UKPunk

Sep 28, 2008, 9:56 PM

Post #8 of 16 (17563 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cooksmad] Message Board Future - the decision [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If Tony's happy with you moderating it mate, I'm all for it. Smile

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

hawkwind
First Team Star

Sep 28, 2008, 11:08 PM

Post #9 of 16 (17535 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
After much thought and correspondence I can now let you know how the message board will work in the future.

For several financial and technical reasons it is not possible to split the board as I originally planned. However, Iím sure you will be pleased to know that the drastic cuts originally notified will not now be so severe. This is because leohoenig and Jamesie have agreed to be moderators on every section. For this they have my sincere thanks and Iím sure the thanks of the vast majority of posters on this board. This means that there will be at least 4 moderators in every section, Leo, Jamesie, Steve and myself. In addition there are extra moderators for some of the other sections. You can see who these are at the top of each section. We will all be operating to the same standard and will intervene with whatever action is necessary to firstly, get the standards of the board back to where they were and secondly to keep them there. Some of these actions will be taken without explanation and no debate will be entered into.

You've obviously given a lot of thought to how to manage the forum back onto track. I'm sure that the changes will prove successful, given the great care you have for the forum they deserve to be. I have two observations which both lead me to the same request which I would like you to consider. The reduction of scope of the forum creates an "in-scope" "out of scope" debate. When is a Premiership/Football League event going to be accepted for discussion? Taking a recent example the famous Reading ghost goal which could be described as a general interest football subject. The acceptable standards are now only known absolutely to you and the other moderators. Most regular contributors are probably 95%+ sure of what's OK while some new posters may have no idea at all. Please can you put together an "introduction to the forum" page where you clearly define the scope and the acceptable standards. Doing this would help make new posters feel welcome, help us to help you maintain standards, and help to avoid frustration caused when a message is deleted or modified by a moderator for no immediately apparent reason.

hawkwind
First Team Star

Sep 28, 2008, 11:10 PM

Post #10 of 16 (17533 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hawkwind] Message Board Future - the decision [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sorry the above message looks a mess. Paragraphing doesn't always work and is the main cause of my editing my messages a minute or two after original posting. But there isn't an edit option in this section.

Tony Kempster
Administrator

Sep 29, 2008, 2:16 AM

Team(s): Various

Post #11 of 16 (17499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hawkwind] Message Board Future - the decision [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The edit-a-post facility in this section is now operational - an oversight on my part.

I am prepared to put up an "All other football section" if two or more people are prepared to moderate it - any takers?

This would be the catch-all for everything football related that is "off-topic" in all the other sections and potentially could have quite a few posts moved to it by the moderators of those sections.

I would see this section as the place for the Silly Stuff as well but I will not set this up unless two or more moderators prepared to maintain the standards of this board are found. Cooks mad has offered to moderate a silly stuff section but is he prepared to moderate this as part of an All Other Football section?

Before anyone asks, I am not going to reinstate General Chat or Other Sports.

(This post was edited by Tony Kempster on Sep 29, 2008, 2:34 AM)

StokePriorAndy
First Team Star

Sep 29, 2008, 11:46 AM

Team(s): Bromsgrove Sporting, Bromsgrove Rovers, Tottenham H, Gainsborough Trinity

Post #12 of 16 (17418 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The edit-a-post facility in this section is now operational - an oversight on my part.

I am prepared to put up an "All other football section" if two or more people are prepared to moderate it - any takers?

This would be the catch-all for everything football related that is "off-topic" in all the other sections and potentially could have quite a few posts moved to it by the moderators of those sections.

I would see this section as the place for the Silly Stuff as well but I will not set this up unless two or more moderators prepared to maintain the standards of this board are found. Cooks mad has offered to moderate a silly stuff section but is he prepared to moderate this as part of an All Other Football section?

Before anyone asks, I am not going to reinstate General Chat or Other Sports.

Happy to volunteer as one moderator for the "All other football" section, when I am around, which is not as often as I'd like to be nowadays.

vienna1964
Deleted

Oct 1, 2008, 10:57 AM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 16 (17267 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StokePriorAndy] Message Board Future - the decision [In reply to] Can't Post or

I can also lend a hand in moderating this - as my current moderation section is 'light' to say the least !

I APOLOGISE UNRESERVEDLY TO EACH AND EVERY PERSON ON THIS FORUM WHO HAS FELT LET-DOWN BY MY INIMICABLE AND DEPLORABLE BEHAVIOUR OF OCTOBER 28th. 2009. ESPECIALLY TO BRIAN, WHO IS A MARVELLOUS GENTLEMAN AND IS THE LAST PERSON HERE WHO SHOULD HAVE TO PUT UP WITH SUCH UNDESERVED PERSONAL CHARACTER-ASSASSINATION. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT A PRIVATE PERSONAL APOLOGY WAS SENT, BUT WAS SEEN INSUFFICIENT. FAIR ENOUGH.

Fatboyfat
Reserve Team Star

Oct 1, 2008, 1:43 PM

Post #14 of 16 (17217 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vienna1964] Message Board Future - the decision [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am also happy to act as a moderator if required.

Mishi

Oct 2, 2008, 10:28 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #15 of 16 (17056 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fatboyfat] Message Board Future - the decision [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tony:

First of all thank you for continuing the forum. It gives me a lot of pleasure, both to contriibute to & to read.
And thank you to those who have the time/know how to help out with the moderating.

Just one teeny weeny request:
You said:
"Some of these actions will be taken without explanation and no debate will be entered into. "

I can understand the reasoning behind this, as your decision IS clearly final, as it's your board. And you don't need to be getting involved in petty swuabbles, by those telling you how to run your own site!

I try to abide by your 'netiquette' as much as I can, and believe me, while a few might not like my style on here at times, I am so polite you wouldn't beleive it, comapred to some of my postings/blogs elswhere! ;-)

But occasionally I might overstep the mark on here, without realising it, and be none the wiser what a post has been deleted for. I would actually prefer a private message from which ever moderator might pull one of my postings, so I nkow where i've gone wrong, and learn not to repeat my mistakes. Obviously I wouldn't expect this to open dialogue back & forth. I'd abide by your decisions to delete any of my posts, but would like to know why. Sort of, much in the way you can ask referees in the bar why they awarded a free kick, or didn't book someone, and educating yourself about the game itself.

Hope that makes sense! ;-)

Grounds visited: 741
Last new ground: Old Roan FC; John Roan Playing Fields; Kidrooke Park Road, London, SE3. (Bromley & South London Football Alliance Division One)
Last game: Tuesday 20th August 2019: Fisher 0 Erith Town 0 -abandoned at half time due to partial fllodlight failure [Southern Counties East League Premier Division]
Matches watched this season: 21
2017/18-New English grounds: 3; & foreign: 0

rainjar
First Team Star

Oct 7, 2008, 12:53 AM

Post #16 of 16 (16736 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish, cooksmad] Message Board Future - the decision [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm probably raising this way too late, but where do discussions on CERN and creating your own album now go?

They used to come under "General Chat", as did the "What are you listening to now" thread (one of the 20 most viewed threads), but as they are all non-football related, the only sections still open which are not specifically related to football are the four "Games" sections, and the abovenamed threads are not exactly games or about games either.

Although I appreciate its probably way too late to bring this up now, perhaps a single General Chat & Silly Stuff section (together with Games under "Games Etc"?) might be a friendly enough place so as not to lower the standards of this Message Board?

Football Insights

(This post was edited by rainjar on Oct 7, 2008, 9:42 AM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3