Message Board Future

Tony Kempster
Administrator

Sep 23, 2008, 11:19 AM

Team(s): Various

Post #1 of 7 (13140 views)
Shortcut
Message Board Future Can't Post or Reply Privately

There has been a definite drop in standards on this message board recently as some people want to ignore the spirit and conventions of this board.

As the board has become so big it is impossible for me to moderate every section. In the sections that I do moderate (i.e the 1st 7), I have had to delete a lot of posts recently as the debating standards descend into accusations, yes they did, no they didn't arguments and worst of all disrespect or personal abuse to others.

As a result of this I am planning to reduce the message board which appears under my name to the following sections only.

All those under administration, plus General, Restucturing, FA Comps, League and County Cups and Groundhopping.

I am asking Steve if it is possible to split the board in this way - if not all those other sections will be deleted. If it is possible to split the board into two and keep all the posts in the other sections, then it will need someone to moderate it and it will be up to them to decide what the board is called and what sort of standards they are prepared to accept. If no moderator(s) is found, then those sections will be lost.

Sorry it has come to this but I do not have the time or the inclination to put up with this lack of respect to others any longer and by reducing the size of the board, I hope to be able to keep an eye on all sections and get the standards back to what they were.

bspittles
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 23, 2008, 7:18 PM

Team(s): Leek Town, Oxford United

Post #2 of 7 (13023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tony Kempster] Message Board Future [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tony,

This is your board, and people who visit here should consider themselves guests. As you would at home, guests who fail to behave with decorum should be asked to leave.

I'm surprised more users aren't deleted without ceremony or explanation; it would prevent the current problems recurring.

Gavin
Youth Team Sub

Sep 23, 2008, 8:01 PM

Post #3 of 7 (13004 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tony Kempster] Message Board Future [In reply to] Can't Post or

I'm with you on this, Tony. I've been a member of this forum for over four years, but hardly bother to post on it anymore for the reasons you've given, and read far fewer of the threads than I used to, especially when they get unpleasant.

I think this is a good call.

rainworthgord
First Team Star

Sep 23, 2008, 8:42 PM

Post #4 of 7 (12988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bspittles] Message Board Future [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Tony,

This is your board, and people who visit here should consider themselves guests. As you would at home, guests who fail to behave with decorum should be asked to leave.

I'm surprised more users aren't deleted without ceremony or explanation; it would prevent the current problems recurring.

Spot on!

ianmacc
Youth Team Star

Sep 24, 2008, 10:05 AM

Team(s): Macclesfield Town

Post #5 of 7 (12869 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainworthgord] Message Board Future [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To
Tony,

Spot on!

Hi Tony

I don't think I have ever directly spoken with you on this board, but I could not have expressed myself any better than above. Cheers for a genuinely excellent resource and all the hours of effort you continue to put in despite your personal issues.

I would however ask you to kick off the offenders rather than close down the majority of the board. If I have to lose this mostly enjoyable section of the board I will not be very impressed with those whose actions caused it. Mad

Despite visiting every day, I sadly would not have the time to do justice to the moderator's role.

Please, please do not let the minority win.

vienna1964
Deleted

Sep 27, 2008, 2:02 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 7 (12495 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ianmacc] Message Board Future [In reply to] Can't Post or

In full agreement with you TK. This lack of decorum must be stopped !

I do however have an alternative idea, which could be worth some thought... and I guess that it is not too far removed from that which you have proposed.

Could a 'Forum within the Forum' not be created perhaps - whereby that 'inner sanctum' forms the part of the Board which you maintain and are happy to associate with your moniker ?

The 'outer Forum' might continue pretty much in its own shape and form - with moderators as suggested - who may be given the power to recommend outer Forum Members for 'election' to the inner Forum.

I have seen this done on other sites, but I don't know the technicalities involved - and it may be beyond the pale, I don't know.

Maybe worth a stray thought or two perhaps ?

I APOLOGISE UNRESERVEDLY TO EACH AND EVERY PERSON ON THIS FORUM WHO HAS FELT LET-DOWN BY MY INIMICABLE AND DEPLORABLE BEHAVIOUR OF OCTOBER 28th. 2009. ESPECIALLY TO BRIAN, WHO IS A MARVELLOUS GENTLEMAN AND IS THE LAST PERSON HERE WHO SHOULD HAVE TO PUT UP WITH SUCH UNDESERVED PERSONAL CHARACTER-ASSASSINATION. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT A PRIVATE PERSONAL APOLOGY WAS SENT, BUT WAS SEEN INSUFFICIENT. FAIR ENOUGH.

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 27, 2008, 8:13 PM

Post #7 of 7 (12440 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vienna1964] Message Board Future [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The 'outer Forum' might continue pretty much in its own shape and form - with moderators as suggested - who may be given the power to recommend outer Forum Members for 'election' to the inner Forum.

I have seen this done on other sites, but I don't know the technicalities involved - and it may be beyond the pale, I don't know.

In theory that's a great idea Angus. I've seen that method used on other sites too. Of course, as you've already said, it might involve more work than it's worth. Still, it's good to see that peole are trying to come up with alternatives.

Welcome back by the way. I haven't seen you for a while. I hope all's well. Smile

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3