Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Where did you go/drown September 3rd ?

Veteran
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 3, 2008, 8:47 PM

Post #1 of 19 (5461 views)
Shortcut
Where did you go/drown September 3rd ? Can't Post or

Midlands Regional Alliance Div. 2 Hilton Harriers 0 Findern 3 Crowd 15, including Yorkie Exile (now 199 without a 0-0) and Dave Makins.

Hilton Harriers appear to be a new adult club this year, as far I can see having previously only run junior sides. They play at a very new looking facility in the village of Hilton, not far off the A50 west of Derby. There is smart Football Foundation aided pavilion and two immaculate pitches, the far one of which was used for this match and which held up very well. There were no spectator facilities and the only cover was afforded by trees and our recently overused umbrellas.

The game started and finished in heavy driving rain, although 5 minutes after the end the rain had stopped (I'm meeting manifestations of Mr S*d and his Law a lot this week). In the circumstances you could not fault the referee for only playing 2 x 40 minutes and for this level and in these conditions the teams served up a more than reasonable match. Hilton are finding it a little difficult to come to terms with life in this league and fell two behind by half time. They still kept trying to play football and with better finishing could easily have got back into the game. As it was Findern scored a third right on time which was a little harsh on them. this was my sixth away win in a row so Fillongley must be worried for tomorrow night .....

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 3, 2008, 9:01 PM

Post #2 of 19 (5444 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] Where did you go/drown September 3rd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hampshire League 2004

Botley Village 2-4 Hedge End Rangers

Admission : Free
Programme: No
Tea: 40p and according to Steve C, the best tea he's ever had at a football game

Att: 32 (h/c)

Another thumbs up from me and my travelling partner Steve C to the Hants Lge 2004. It really does deserve more praise and visitors than it gets. Not only are the games played in an excellent spirit, the games are always exciting and very watchable (the one's I've seen anyway).

Partially roped off pitch hidden away from the main rec by trees on 3 sides with an old pavilion serving an excellent cup of tea plus other usual fayre.

2 new sides to the competition, a local derby, 5 superb goals, excellent refereeing who wasn't taking any nonsense but didn't get the book out until the last 5 mins when the home keeper was booked for mouthing off once too often.

Home side took the lead early in the first half and spent the rest of the half looking the more dangerous in front of goal with Hedge End looking the better "footballing" side but nothing up front.

Not sure what happened at half time but by the 63rd minute Hedge End were cruising into a 4-1 lead. Time and again, the Botley defence just stood like statues allowing the visiting forwards time and space to pick their spot, but that would be unfair on the Hedge End wingers who were putting in some excellent crosses for the pinpoint finishing.

Botley pulled a goal back very late on and both sides then reduced to 10 a side even later on both due to injuries and all subs having been made.

A shame that the midweeks are now out of the way, as I've also enjoyed myself at this leagues matches. I'm going to have to wait until April now to do some more (unless Fareham have any more very late Saturday postponements.)

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Sep 3, 2008, 10:42 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #3 of 19 (5384 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veteran] Where did you go/drown September 3rd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

F A Cup Preliminary Round Replay - Silsden 1 FC Halifax Town 3

A fair sized crowd (442, I think) watched these West Yorkshire neighbours do battle for the right to travel to Ryton in the next round. Halifax scored first, midway through the first half, with a header that the scorer seemed to know very little about. A penalty just before half time doubled their advantage and seemed to signal 'game over'.

Silsden, who were playing in the Craven league just 10 years ago, are known for their battling qualities and a goal 3 minutes in the 2nd half lifted their spirits, whilst draining Halifax's. Whilst not a game of two halves, Silsden were much improved in the 2nd half and can count themselves unlucky that they did not draw level.

The introduction of 39 year old Halifax assistant manager, Nigel Jemson (remember him?) provoked some memorable quips from the crowd. Unfortunately for 'Big Nige' this is due more to his size than footballing prowess!!

Halifax managed to scramble the ball home with just 8 minutes remaining and this was enough to kill off the home side. If Halifax are to progess back to the conference, they will need to improve their squad considerably, as based on this showing, I can't see them being promoted this season.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 3, 2008, 10:50 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #4 of 19 (5373 views)
Shortcut

Flixton 7 Bottesford Town 5, FA Cup Prelim Round Replay, Att: 60 (ish) Admission £5, Prog £1

Sensational. If only all games were like this. The scoring sequence.....

0-1, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2 (H/T). 2-3, 2-4, 3-4, 3-5, 4-5, 5-5, 6-5, 7-5.

Poor old Bottesford will be gutted as they threw away a glorious chance to progress. Both defences looked like they had never played the game. Two OG's and one penalty added to the excitement, as Flixton came back from 2 goals down at 3-5 with four goals in the last 15 minutes.

Flixton's ground has never been my favourite, however the first floor balcony on the clubhouse affords an excellent view. Hot pies were available along with tea and coffee from the first floor lounge, and although the steak slice was a little over priced at £1.50 it was decent enough. Nice to see a few of the travellers from the Northern circuit.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 3, 2008, 11:04 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #5 of 19 (5354 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yorks Amateur] Where did you go/drown September 3rd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Plan A: Moston Brook v Abacus Media - ruled out when a phone call last night revealed the game was off as Moston Brook's latest home ground, an all weather pitch in Ardwick, Manchester, was only available to them on Saturdays.

Plan B: Hatterlsey v Droylsden Amateurs - arrived to find ref had decided the pitch was waterlogged, although staff at the Ken Ward Sports Centre reckoned it was playable. Nice looking set up for the lower reaches of the Lancs & Cheshire Amateur League, with small amount of cover under an overhang from a modern pavilion and dugouts.

And so it was Plan C ....

Lancashire and Cheshire Amateur League, Division Two
New East Manchester 8 VC United 0 (att 12)
Like their near namesakes in the Manchester League (an entirely separate club), New East Manchester play on the all-weather pitches at Wright Robinson College in Gorton.
I don't know which pitch East played on in the Manchester League last week (I'd be interested to know) but this was on the pitch on the right hand side walking from the college buildings and car park. Both grounds are virtually identical and I imagine they're interchangeable as venues.
The win was even easier than the scoreline suggests. Can't remember VC having a shot on target, and New East would have been well into double figures if they hadn't wasted so many chances trying to score "perfect" goals. Mind you, I was very impressed with a lot of their football, not to mention some acrobatic goal celebrations by their number 7. Also of note, and a rarity anywhere in non league, was New East's squad-numbered shirts with players' names on the back. I don't bother taking down players' names but a bonus for those who do.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

osborne
First Team Sub

Sep 3, 2008, 11:06 PM

Team(s): Arnold Town/ Loughborough Dynamo

Post #6 of 19 (5350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Where did you go/drown September 3rd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Staveley 3 Rossington Main 0 North East Counties Division 1.
Admission £3 ( this must be one of the cheapest step 6 grounds in Britain.)
Programme £1 - A very nice colourful programme with plenty of reading.
Tea- 60p and came in a large cup.
H/C 55

I got as far as Ashby and the mobile went to inform me that Dudley Town was off due to a waterlogged pitch. I couldn't get a response from the only other new ground I could make in the time, so it was back to the M1 and up to Staveley. I always enjoy going to Staveley and really I should go more often. The tea bar is brilliant especially on a cold night like this. The pitch didn't reflect the fact there had been lots of heavy rain and barely cut up during the game. The visitors looked lively in the first 10 minutes but their defencive frailties soon shone through. Staveley scored three goals in the first half and the game was over. Give credit to Rossington in the second half as they played for pride and increased their work rate, but they never looked like scoring. With better finishing Staveley should have scored a couple more. Fantastic value for just £3.

GrundyHiller
First Team Sub

Sep 3, 2008, 11:15 PM

Team(s): Horwich RMI, Bolton Wanderers

Post #7 of 19 (5338 views)
Shortcut
Re: [osborne] Where did you go/drown September 3rd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East Lancashire League Division Two- Burnley Belvedere 1-5 Bacup Cricket Club; No admission or programme; Attendance: 20 (h/c)

The Belvedere and West Calder Club is home to soccer (Belvedere's First XI play in the West Lancashire League), cricket and rugby union and is located in Reedley, on the Burnley to Brierfield A682 road, just five minutes' drive from J12 of the M65. It's a nice area and a splendidly appointed complex with a large club house. The soccer pitch is enclosed and drained well despite the deluges and has superb views over distant hills. My second taste of East Lancashire Lge football in as many evenings and again this left a favourable impression- a well contested, fluid game that was well refereed. The visitors were worthy winners in the end but two late goals flattered them. Recommended. Despite the late kick-off (nearly 6-30pm) the referee, with a quick turnaround, ensured all was done and dusted by 8pm just as the light faded. This league has several early evening games scheduled for Monday to Thursday next week, which might be a bit ambitious given the onset of autumn.

(This post was edited by GrundyHiller on Sep 3, 2008, 11:22 PM)

davy c
First Team Star

Sep 3, 2008, 11:23 PM

Post #8 of 19 (5326 views)
Shortcut
Re: [osborne] Where did you go/drown September 3rd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was at Silsden as well, thought they played some nice football in the second half but they didnt really prize open too many chances. Crowd looked more than the 442 that was announced I thought. The litle fella in midfield (number 10) and the the number 7 plus the skipper (number 5) for Silsden were impressive (the left back not so good !) Halifax were average, Ashley stott did what he did for bangor and scores goals but he is lazy when not in possesion and afforded the whole Silsden back four loads of time on the ball. I wont even bother describing Junior Browns failings, but Suffice to say I can see why the Alex released him !

twitter @davyc1976

leohoenig
Administrator

Sep 3, 2008, 11:25 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #9 of 19 (5324 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GrundyHiller] Where did you go/drown September 3rd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East Lodge 1, Denmead and Purbrook 1
Hampshire League 2004
Admission 0, Programme none, Tea none.

The grounds are poor, the match was poor, the referee was OK.
Certainly not the advert for the league that Splodge saw at Botley.

With the decisions of the summer, Hampshire 2004 is now clearly and officially the step 8 league, with Hampshire Premier at Step 7

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

robhornby
First Team Star

Sep 3, 2008, 11:50 PM

Team(s): Non League Football

Post #10 of 19 (5301 views)
Shortcut

CENTRAL MIDLANDS FOOTBALL LEAGUE SUPREME DIVISION

SOUTHWELL CITY 3 PINXTON FC 6

PINXTON FC STORMED(excuse the pun) TO THE TOP OF THE SUPREME DIVISION WITH A CONFIDENT WIN..THE SCORE COULD HAVE BEEN A LOT HIGHER...PINXTON WENT INTO THE LEAD AFTER JUST 4 MINUTES, BUT BY THE TIME I GOT OUT THE BAR IT WAS 1-1. PINXTON FC THEN STEPPED IT UP AND WENT 4-1 FOR HALF TIME, SOUTHWELL PULLED A GOAL BACK THEN PINXTON SCORED THEIR FIFTH AND SIXTH, BEFORE SOUTHWELL ENDED THE SCORING. A GOOD EXCITING GAME OF FOOTBALL, BY A LOT OF UNDER 19'S.

To visit my charity blog..please click on https://aroundthegrounds2019-20.blogspot.com/

Forester
Youth Team Star

Sep 4, 2008, 12:03 AM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 19 (5285 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robhornby] Where did you go/drown September 3rd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hellenic League Floodlit Cup

Harrow Hill 1 Wooton Bassett Town 2

Awful weather, poor game and a very average referee who was on the football league last season.

Harrow Hill rested a number of first team regulars and it showed. They took the lead in the first half with the softest penalty you will ever see. Just after half time the linesman equalled things up by raising his flag for offside then putting it down. All of the Harrow Hill defenders stood looking at him as Wooton Basset scored. The winner came five minutes later and was the only real bit of quality throughout the game. In all fairness though the conditions didn't exactly allow for decent football.

Frank/Gary
Deleted

Sep 4, 2008, 12:25 AM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 19 (5273 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Forester] Where did you go/drown September 3rd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or

Benfield 3 Seaham 0

Crap game, but we won!

Emmerson hat trick; first one after 21 seconds

2008/2009

48 games

Last game: Newcastle United 2 Spurs 1 (Premiership) 21/12/2008

9 new grounds

Last new ground: Reyrolle Sports & Social Ground, Hebburn Reyrolle

Heaton Winstons' League Campaign: P13 W6 D3 L4 F38 A30 GD+8 Pts 21 Pos 4/16

Last game: Grindon Vets 0 Winstons 3

"The waiter's stacking the chairs"

AndrewG
First Team Star

Sep 4, 2008, 1:02 AM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 19 (5264 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Frank/Gary] Where did you go/drown September 3rd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Flixton - quite sensational entertainment. Bottesford must be gutted - at 5-5, having lost a two goal lead, they had a goalbound effort superbly headed off the line, and Flixton went straight down the other end to make it 6-5.

Preceded this game with Bury Reserves 0 Manchester United Reserves 2 in the Manchester Senior Cup at Gigg Lane - usual tepid fare served up by the professional clubs second strings. The initial plan had then been to go to Radcliffe Borough who were hosting Walshaw's Manchester League clash with Prestwich Heys. The afternoon downpours saw this called off around 5pm - and with the benefit of hindsight I'm glad it was.

AndrewG
First Team Star

Sep 4, 2008, 1:08 AM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 19 (5262 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Where did you go/drown September 3rd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Lancashire and Cheshire Amateur League, Division Two
New East Manchester 8 VC United 0 (att 12)
Like their near namesakes in the Manchester League (an entirely separate club), New East Manchester play on the all-weather pitches at Wright Robinson College in Gorton.
I don't know which pitch East played on in the Manchester League last week (I'd be interested to know) but this was on the pitch on the right hand side walking from the college buildings and car park. Both grounds are virtually identical and I imagine they're interchangeable as venues.
Also of note, and a rarity anywhere in non league, was New East's squad-numbered shirts with players' names on the back. I don't bother taking down players' names but a bonus for those who do.

East Manchester played on the pitch on the left.

New East's shirt names are helpful, but as most of their players are of African/Portugese origin, their names are predictably complicated by the use of first names and nicknames!

Bob L. Hatt
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 4, 2008, 12:01 PM

Team(s): Derby County, Belper Town, Derry City

Post #15 of 19 (5140 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndrewG] Where did you go/drown September 3rd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday 3rd September

Audley 1 Ball Haye Green 4

Staffordshire County Senior League

Original plan was Florence v Foley, arrived at the ground about 5.30 and spoke to the ref who at that stage was shall we say ‘pessimistic’, it carried on raining, Jamesie turned up, still it rained, but suddenly the signal went up to the players to head for the dressing rooms, it was seemingly on, but then it was if the signal to the players was the signal for the rain to get even harder, match off! No reply from Audley, couple of tentative replies from clubs who thought they would be on, but then got a call back from Audley to say a pitch inspection had been passed.

We had twenty minutes, Jamesie took the ‘Safety Car’ role (he had the sat nav), and I followed behind, we arrived just moments after kick off! The pitch was a mess, but just playable, BHG took the lead just before half time from a goal that was clearly yards offside (made up for all the offsides the liner gave that were clearly on!). The visitors scored a couple more early in the second half, Audley pulled one back but BHG grabbed a fourth late on. Match finished a bit earlier than it should have done given the fact it was getting somewhat dark.

Given the conditions down at Florence, not a drop of rain during the game at Audley, and despite the pitch being a mess it held up. Good set up, couple of areas of cover behind the dugouts and a decent clubhouse behind the goal in the car park. Met up with Model Hobbies and Tim from the site, although got a call late on from a chap at the Ashbourne United v Brereton Town game, it was 15-1 at that stage, not sure how it finished!

Sniff my blog....

https://bobblestravels.blogspot.co.uk

Aggedor
Deleted

Sep 4, 2008, 1:17 PM

Team(s):

Post #16 of 19 (5088 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bob L. Hatt] Where did you go/drown September 3rd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or

Holbrook St Michaels 7-3 Newmount
MRA Premier
Adm: Free, Prog: No, Att: 7.

Soaked, but what a great match!! Looks like several of us who braved a drowning were well rewarded with a different sort of deluge - goals! 2-2 at half time, but HSM took over after the break. Lots of good football on a pitch that held up very well until the last 10 minutes or so, and well refereed by a chap that obviously knows his stuff.

Lovely little ground - with 35 seats for spectators in little blocks, but no cover on them. Surely good enough for a return to a higher level?

Torbaymick
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 4, 2008, 3:28 PM

Team(s): Reading Leeds United Buckland Athletic

Post #17 of 19 (5036 views)
Shortcut

South West Peninsula Premier League

Dartmouth 3 Launceston 3

Plenty of goals at a cold/windy Longross Blush

Ent Fee £3.50 Prog included coffe 60p Chicken Burger £2

The first goal was a 30 yard drive from Launceston no 2 Sam Scott it will take lot to see somebody in the Non-League arena who can strike a ball like that.

www.thoughts.com/MickeysSouthwest08Hop/blog

Roman
First Team Sub

Sep 4, 2008, 4:56 PM

Team(s): Arsenal, Rocester, Brentford

Post #18 of 19 (5001 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bob L. Hatt] Where did you go/drown September 3rd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Wednesday 3rd September

Audley 1 Ball Haye Green 4

Staffordshire County Senior League Met up with Model Hobbies and Tim from the site, although got a call late on from a chap at the Ashbourne United v Brereton Town game, it was 15-1 at that stage, not sure how it finished!

The Ashbourne game (played at Holt JCB in Rocester) finished 15-1 - scary! I'm amazed it was played to be honest, it was particularly wet and the pitch has a high water table being next to a lake.
For any other Staffordshire Senior League watchers, our resereves played at Hanley Town last night, a programme was issued, and apparently they are doing a lot of work on the ground with a view to progressing, probably into the North West Counties League.

sanktpaulee
Deleted

Sep 6, 2008, 9:06 AM

Team(s):

Post #19 of 19 (4859 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Roman] Where did you go/drown September 3rd ? [In reply to] Can't Post or

Verwood Town 1 Warminster Town 0
Entry £4
Programme £1.50
Attendance 84
A fluke goal (intended cross) won it in the first minute. Warminster missed loads of chances in the second half, but had their keeper to thank for saving a penalty which would have killed the game off.

Twitter: @LeeWest1865
http://groundhopping.forumup.co.uk

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3