Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non League Football Information: Other Cup Competitions:
Essex Thames-side Trophy

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

SuperKev!
First Team Star

Sep 1, 2008, 12:59 PM

Post #1 of 60 (8192 views)
Shortcut
Essex Thames-side Trophy Can't Post or Reply Privately

First Round
Concord Rangers v Aveley
East Thurrock United v Bowers & Pitsea
London APSA v Redbridge
Burnham Ramblers v Brentwood Town (to be played by 15th November 2008)
Second Round Tiptree United v Basildon United
Billericay Town v Burnham Ramblers or Brentwood Town
Southend Manor v Maldon Town
Barkingside v Tilbury
London APSA or Redbridge v East Thurrock United or Bowers & Pitsea
Romford v Great Wakering Rovers
Barking v Brimsdown Rovers
Ilford v Concord Rangers or Aveley (to be played by 31st January 2009)

Ribbit
Youth Team Regular

Sep 3, 2008, 4:31 PM

Post #2 of 60 (8143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SuperKev!] Essex Thames-side Trophy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
First Round
Concord Rangers v Aveley
East Thurrock United v Bowers & Pitsea
London APSA v Redbridge
Burnham Ramblers v Brentwood Town (to be played by 15th November 2008)

Second Round
Tiptree United v Basildon United
Billericay Town v Burnham Ramblers or Brentwood Town
Southend Manor v Maldon Town
Barkingside v Tilbury
London APSA or Redbridge v East Thurrock United or Bowers & Pitsea
Romford v Great Wakering Rovers
Barking v Brimsdown Rovers
Ilford v Concord Rangers or Aveley (to be played by 31st January 2009)

It's good to see the Thames has grown. :)

Geoff
First Team Sub

Sep 4, 2008, 1:25 PM

Post #3 of 60 (8112 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ribbit] Essex Thames-side Trophy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Eligibility is I believe any senior club within 20 miles of the Tames, hence the Side bit in the name.
Football has never been that strong on Geography, I have seen games in Yorkshire in the Central Midlands League (Try telling Mr Boycott he is a Midlander), games in West London in the South Midlands League and St Albans City win the East Anglian Cup, so compared with some competitions the Essex Thames Side is accurately named.

Ribbit
Youth Team Regular

Sep 4, 2008, 1:52 PM

Post #4 of 60 (8107 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Geoff] Essex Thames-side Trophy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That as maybe, but Essex already has a senior cup, what's the point of the ETT if it's just going to be a carbon copy?

Geoff
First Team Sub

Sep 4, 2008, 11:03 PM

Post #5 of 60 (8079 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ribbit] Essex Thames-side Trophy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Essex Thameside Trophy has been around for a long times and often includes clubs which, though are located in the historic county of Essex are affiliated to the London F.A. so do not enter the Senior Cup. As well as this not all senior clubs in Essex choose to enter the Thames Side so it is hardly a carbon copy of the former.
Even if only the same clubs entered the point of the Thameside would remain the same - to provide an entreating football competition between clubs who wish to enter it, much like the FA Cup, FA Trophy, FA Vase and every football league in the world.
It also provides the opportunity to win what is probably the most attractive trophy in football, a solid silver galleon. Much more attractive than those boring old cups & shields usually on offer and much more stylish than the gaudy Premiership Trophy.
Personally I enjoy competitions such as these which pair teams which otherwise are unlikely to play each other. Long may the Essex Thames Side, South Midlands Floodlight and similar competitions throughout the country prosper.

Ribbit
Youth Team Regular

Sep 6, 2008, 11:14 AM

Post #6 of 60 (8040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Geoff] Essex Thames-side Trophy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No, I agree. I'd just rather see it restricted to clubs that are Thames-side.

mr creosote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 7, 2008, 9:13 PM

Team(s): Grays Athletic, Haverhill Rovers

Post #7 of 60 (7948 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Fulham? Tongue

TB&G
Youth Team Regular

Sep 8, 2008, 7:47 AM

Team(s): Romford FC

Post #8 of 60 (7915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mr creosote] Essex Thames-side Trophy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Fulham? Tongue

Yeah Fulham in Essex! Sly

Geoff
First Team Sub

Sep 8, 2008, 10:34 AM

Post #9 of 60 (7911 views)
Shortcut

Depends how you define the side of the river, strictly it would mean only Canvey and Concord or if you stretched it a bit Tilbury & Grays (as riverside towns) could be eligible.
I do see your logic though, as Grays would probbaly field a reserve/youth XI this would make Canvey clear favourites to win it every year and the galleon would look great in your trophy cabinet.

Ribbit
Youth Team Regular

Sep 8, 2008, 12:00 PM

Post #10 of 60 (7903 views)
Shortcut

How would it mean 'strictly Canvey and Concord'? There are plenty of towns on the Essex side of the Thames with at least one football team. It's not difficult.

Geoff
First Team Sub

Sep 8, 2008, 5:02 PM

Post #11 of 60 (7889 views)
Shortcut

Depends how you define Essex Thameside.
If you mean in Essex by the side of the Thames then only the two (or four) I mentioned would qualify.
If you mean on the Thames side of Essex then the current rule of "within 20 miles of the Thames" seems appropriate.
Including any clubs with an affiliation to the Essex County FA or clubs close to the border, as with Brimsdown, Clapton and all the East London clubs (who are of course now technically in London not Essex) also seems OK to me.
I was not trying to make this difficult, just trying to turn your key a bit, seems I succeeded.

Ribbit
Youth Team Regular

Sep 8, 2008, 5:45 PM

Post #12 of 60 (7885 views)
Shortcut

I take it to mean teams that are Thames-side, in Essex (or East London). None of what you have said.

Geoff
First Team Sub

Sep 8, 2008, 6:11 PM

Post #13 of 60 (7882 views)
Shortcut

I know I'll regret asking but how do you define "Thames-side" within 1 mile of the river?, 5 miles?, 10 miles?, 20 miles?
Personally I'm happy with the current set up which has been working OK for years & years & years so why change it?

Ribbit
Youth Team Regular

Sep 8, 2008, 6:20 PM

Post #14 of 60 (7879 views)
Shortcut

I didn't realise teams like Tiptree and Maldon had been playing in the competition for years and years.

...I'll look at a map.

Great Wakering; Southend Manor; Canvey Island; Concord Rangers; Hullbridge; Bowers & Pitsea; Basildon United; Billericay; Brentwood; East Thurrock; Tilbury; Grays; Thurrock; Aveley; AFC Hornchurch; Romford; Ilford... that's as far as I can go without doing anything more than scrolling along on Google Maps.

Geoff
First Team Sub

Sep 8, 2008, 6:37 PM

Post #15 of 60 (7876 views)
Shortcut

I didn't mention which clubs had played in the Thameside, simply that the rules had remained unchanged for the last 20+ years. I don't remember Maldon playing in it before but Chelmsford, which is as far from the river as Maldon, certainly have. I saw them lose the final on penalties to Clapton at the Old Spotted Dog in 1984. (That's scary, it means this will be a least my 25th year watching the Thames Side trophy, no wonder my hair is white)
I don't like to labour the point but I do feel that if you are going to criticise the current rules you really should have a definable alternative before you do so.
So Iíll ask you again - How far does your definition of "Thames-side" stretch from the river?

Ribbit
Youth Team Regular

Sep 8, 2008, 6:54 PM

Post #16 of 60 (7875 views)
Shortcut

I've just been working on that and I'd say somewhere between ten and fifteen miles. Though ten miles wouldn't include Billericay or Brentwood. Twenty miles just seems too far to me.

Geoff
First Team Sub

Sep 8, 2008, 11:20 PM

Post #17 of 60 (7845 views)
Shortcut

I'd stick at ten then to maximise Canvey's chances.

mr creosote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 9, 2008, 9:04 PM

Team(s): Grays Athletic, Haverhill Rovers

Post #18 of 60 (7768 views)
Shortcut

Looking through the Grays Athletic 1951-52 souvenir handbook there is a brief history of the competition, which was inaugurated in 1945-6. It starts...

"The first meeting of the competition was held on Thursday, November 8th, 1945, at St. Margaret's Hall, Barking, when the following clubs were represented: Barking, Clapton, Grays Athletic, Ilford, Leyton, Leytonstone, Romford and Walthamstow Avenue."

Sounds like a litany of dearly departed friends.

Geoff
First Team Sub

Sep 10, 2008, 11:06 AM

Post #19 of 60 (7682 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mr creosote] Essex Thames-side Trophy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sad isn't it, the only two still going in their original form are Clapton & Grays.
Some magnificent grounds gone too, has any other part of the country lost so many superb stadiums, with Grays looking to move soon the only ones left will be the Old Spotted Dog & Lea Bridge Road.

Recorderman
Junior Team Regular

Nov 27, 2008, 10:01 PM

Team(s): Lancing, Montreal Expos

Post #20 of 60 (7265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SuperKev!] Essex Thames-side Trophy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Couple of first-round results:
Burnham 3 Brentwood 4 (Nov 19)
Concord 3 Aveley 4 (Nov 25)
No date for East Thurrock v Bowers, as far as I know, while Redbridge claim that London APSA are not returning their calls!

tiptree
Ballboy/girl

Dec 4, 2008, 5:08 PM

Post #21 of 60 (7164 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Recorderman] Essex Thames-side Trophy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Does anyone know anything about this trophy? We are in it this year, does anyone know the rules/regs etc.?

tiptree
Ballboy/girl

Dec 11, 2008, 12:28 PM

Post #22 of 60 (7075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tiptree] Essex Thames-side Trophy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Does anyone know anything about this trophy? We are in it this year, does anyone know the rules/regs etc.?

Been in contact with our opponents Basildon, looks like 13th Jan, but havent got a single document relating to this competition from the organiser David Bowman despite contacting him several times, all we need is some rules/regs re the competition, so we can move ahead, if not then the game will not get played.

tiptree
Ballboy/girl

Jan 5, 2009, 12:45 PM

Post #23 of 60 (6849 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tiptree] Essex Thames-side Trophy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well I cannot see Tiptree v Basildon match ever taking place, the organisation of this trophy is non existent.

Recorderman
Junior Team Regular

Jan 19, 2009, 1:49 PM

Team(s): Lancing, Montreal Expos

Post #24 of 60 (6747 views)
Shortcut

A couple of fixtures: Barkinmgside v Tilbury tomorrow (Jan 20) (at Barking) and Barking v Brimsdown on THURSDAY Feb 5 (also at Barking, I imagine).
Some have you may have noted London APSA v Redbridge on Thursday Jan 29. Have a care with this one: Redbridge told me a few days ago that they would be taking the competition seriously and would not want to play it if they had a game on the Tuesday, which they now do. But it's still a confirmed fixture on the Redbridge website: await developments.

coupwotcoup
First Team Star

Jan 21, 2009, 10:40 AM

Post #25 of 60 (6718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Recorderman] Essex Thames-side Trophy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

How much effort does it take for organisers of the ETT to put details of the draw on a website? Not checked the Essex FA site recently, but it has never been too forthcoming in the past. Or failing any official site, how about him/her what's in charge keeping people informed on here?
We (Romford) have been drawn at home to Great Wakering and in theory, there has probably been at least four or five clear dates available to complete the tie since the draw was made.
Then again, depends on how many burgers we have in stock to placate GWR's Dan Trenkel's eating habits Tongue. Waves hello to Onebreast!

Pre-1970 football programmes wanted. Good prices paid for good condition collections. Have thousands for sale, League and Non League. PM with wants lists or for quotes. Especially required pre-1978 Romford home and aways, plus FA Trophy programmes from any rounds from seasons 69-70 and 70-1.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3