Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Nearest (non-obvious) rail stations to German grounds

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 12, 2008, 5:11 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #1 of 5 (2867 views)
Shortcut
Nearest (non-obvious) rail stations to German grounds Can't Post or Reply Privately

Following my recent Inter-rail tour, I'd thought I would list some obscure German grounds I visited where the nearest rail station does not have the same name.

1) FSV Salmrohr - nearest station SALMTAL (12 mins walk) There is also a club in the same division called Dornbach whose ground should also be in the vicinity, although I did not have time to look for it.

2) SF Oestrich-Iserlohn - nearest station LETMATHE (this is around 20-25 mins walk from the ground and the station is on a local line from Hagen.) Do not make the mistake of continuing down the line to the next stop at Iserlohn. The club were in the Oberliga when I went there but will probably be in the 5th level (whatever it is called) next season.

3) SF Lotte - there are 3 options basically as this is a rarity - a German town without a rail station! The football stadium has been improved in recent years and this is potentially another Hoffenheim in the making.

Option A - bus once every 2 hours (on Sundays) from Osnabruck.

Option B - wait for a railway station to be built! There is already a railway line running to the north of the town although as the football ground is in the south part of town, any new station would be at least 30 mins walk.

Option C - this is the one I used. I walked for almost exactly an hour along country roads from HASBERGEN station, which is served by hourly trains from Osnabruck.

Perhaps some of you could add your own contributions?

Pete51
Reserve Team Star

Jun 12, 2008, 5:17 PM

Team(s): Arsenal, Altona 93 FC, EimsbŁtteler TV

Post #2 of 5 (2865 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Nearest (non-obvious) rail stations to German grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

good to see still some people walking these days, I don`t mind doing some walk, but prefer it to be not in the middle of nowhere

I prefer those grounds where the U- or S-Bahn station is nearby, like in Hamburg.

Pete51
Reserve Team Star

Jun 12, 2008, 8:04 PM

Team(s): Arsenal, Altona 93 FC, EimsbŁtteler TV

Post #3 of 5 (2843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Nearest (non-obvious) rail stations to German grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

2) SF Oestrich-Iserlohn - nearest station LETMATHE (this is around 20-25 mins walk from the ground and the station is on a local line from Hagen.) Do not make the mistake of continuing down the line to the next stop at Iserlohn. The club were in the Oberliga when I went there but will probably be in the 5th level (whatever it is called very easy one, NRW-Liga =. Nordrhein-Westfalen ) next season.

StephenHarris
First Team Sub

Jun 13, 2008, 12:09 PM

Team(s): Leyton Orient, Hastings United, CA Huracan

Post #4 of 5 (2754 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

3) SF Lotte - there are 3 options basically as this is a rarity - a German town without a rail station! The football stadium has been improved in recent years and this is potentially another Hoffenheim in the making.

Option A - bus once every 2 hours (on Sundays) from Osnabruck.

Option B - wait for a railway station to be built! There is already a railway line running to the north of the town although as the football ground is in the south part of town, any new station would be at least 30 mins walk.

Option C - this is the one I used. I walked for almost exactly an hour along country roads from HASBERGEN station, which is served by hourly trains from Osnabruck.

Lotte may not have a station, but it does have a Bahnhof Strasse, just across the main road from the ground. I noticed this street in my A-Z when I went there two seasons ago, but failed to notice that the station itself was defunct. Luckily it turned out to be an easy bus connection on a Saturday from Osnabruck, with a late bus back which accommodated me despite delays caused by a floodlight failure. Nice set-up at Sportfreunde Lotte too I thought.

I recall FC Remscheid being located close to a station other than the obvious one, but it was so long ago I forget the details.

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 15, 2008, 10:09 AM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #5 of 5 (2622 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StephenHarris] Nearest (non-obvious) rail stations to German grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A couple more for you all to cut out and keep for handy reference!

1) FSV Fernwald (Oberliga Hessen) - nearest station is GARBENTEICH, about 35 minutes walk away. This station has only one platform and is on a branch line, with the last useful connection being just after 7.30pm, so early/late season midweek games are not a good idea, and in any case there is no pavement for part of the way so you wouldn't want to walk here in the dark.
Incidentally this club issue a very good colour A4 programme despite being located in a village (Fernwald-Steinbach)

2) TuS Mechtersheim - about 37/38 mins walk from HEILIGENSTEIN station, which is served by trains on a lengthy local line between Mannheim, Heidelberg and Karlsruhe, so late evening games are not a problem and there is a pavement all the way.
A 4 page A5 programme was issued free on my visit and a hefty A4 season's guide was sold for 1 euro.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Oct 15, 2008, 10:10 AM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3