Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non League Football Information: History:
FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 6, 2008, 1:18 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #26 of 36 (4430 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sonofhod] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cant you read or just plain dumb ? Well, why was it an afternoon kick off ?

I am able to read, I am not dumb and I additionally I am well-mannered

I am not accustomed to being addressed by the likes of you in that tone and you will just have to accept that as self-appointed netcop you may have to be disappointed now and again when threads drift a little.

Russell
First Team Star

Jun 6, 2008, 1:54 PM

Post #27 of 36 (4424 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

by the likes of you?

A bit strong isn't it?

sonofhod
Deleted

Jun 6, 2008, 4:18 PM

Team(s):

Post #28 of 36 (4406 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or

Well why was it an afternoon game ? I certainly dont know. Relax Russell Paul must have led a very sheltered life.

PaulC

Jun 6, 2008, 4:56 PM

Post #29 of 36 (4398 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sonofhod] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Well why was it an afternoon game ? I certainly dont know. Relax Russell Paul must have led a very sheltered life.

I've just taken a look at The Times. Coventry "were unhappy at the prospect of playing under Rochdale's floodlights."

HI-HI
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 6, 2008, 7:04 PM

Post #30 of 36 (4387 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

I've just taken a look at The Times. Coventry "were unhappy at the prospect of playing under Rochdale's floodlights."

But if Sonofhod's statement, "was also there at 3-00 ko on Jan 11,1971 in front of 13,011 spactators." is correct, the second half, at least, must have been under lights.

PaulC

Jun 6, 2008, 7:45 PM

Post #31 of 36 (4384 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HI-HI] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

But if Sonofhod's statement, "was also there at 3-00 ko on Jan 11,1971 in front of 13,011 spactators." is correct, the second half, at least, must have been under lights.

It was a 3 pm kick off, but we were operating under year round British Summer Time. Sunset would have been around 5.10 pm.

(This post was edited by PaulC on Jun 6, 2008, 7:49 PM)

HI-HI
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 6, 2008, 8:11 PM

Post #32 of 36 (4373 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

It was a 3 pm kick off, but we were operating under year round British Summer Time. Sunset would have been around 5.10 pm.

Thanks, Paul, I hadn't realised it was as long ago as that. I would have sworn that it came in for a year or two shortly after the three day week. How on earth did we cope with FA Trophy replays at 1.30 on a Thursday when we were working Thursday - Saturday?

PaulC

Jun 6, 2008, 8:20 PM

Post #33 of 36 (4370 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HI-HI] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Thanks, Paul, I hadn't realised it was as long ago as that. I would have sworn that it came in for a year or two shortly after the three day week. How on earth did we cope with FA Trophy replays at 1.30 on a Thursday when we were working Thursday - Saturday?

It was introduced in 1968 and ended in 1971 ...one of my first experiences of living in Scotland was attending university lectures at 9 am (if you told students today, they wouldn't believe you), having walked through the Stirlingshire countryside for 30 minutes in the pitch dark.

Sunrise was around 9.40 am.

sonofhod
Deleted

Jun 6, 2008, 10:22 PM

Team(s):

Post #34 of 36 (4358 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Thank you.

Hoppy
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 7, 2008, 12:04 AM

Team(s): Man City,Oldham Ath, Runcorn, South liverpool now non league traveller.

Post #35 of 36 (4345 views)
Shortcut

Wasn't Noel Cantwell the Coventry manager and stated just after the draw "where's Rochdale"

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 7, 2008, 6:55 AM

Team(s):

Post #36 of 36 (4306 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hoppy] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think Exeter objected to Dartford's lights for an FA Cup 1st Round replay in November 1961 and consequently the match was played in the afternoon with Dartford winning 2-1

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3