Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non League Football Information: History:
FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bezza
Youth Team Star

May 29, 2008, 6:47 PM

Post #1 of 36 (6699 views)
Shortcut
FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights Can't Post or Reply Privately

Would anyone know as a matter of interest when the last time a FA cup tie was played on a ground without floodlights from the 1st round proper onwards.
I am guessing it may be Ton Pentre V Cardiff in 1986 but am uncertain !

If it aint broke don't fix it

Russell
First Team Star

May 29, 2008, 6:54 PM

Post #2 of 36 (6693 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bezza] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I can remember Tuesday afternoon replays in the qualifying rounds up until the early 80's.

robcavallini
Youth Team Regular

May 29, 2008, 11:28 PM

Post #3 of 36 (6662 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Russell] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think Brimsdown v St Albans City !st Qualifying Round replay in 1991/92 was an afternoon kick off.

www.dognduck.net The Wanderers F.C. - OUT NOW - The Corinthians

Geoff
First Team Sub

May 30, 2008, 1:34 AM

Post #4 of 36 (6650 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robcavallini] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Brimsdown v St Albans was played on 1.10.91 and must have been an evening game because I saw it and was working at the time.
It was a 2nd Qualfying round replay, the St Albans 'keeper was sent off and Brimsdown won 2-0. I seem to remember StAlbans were not particularly gracious in defeat that night.

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Star

May 30, 2008, 10:31 AM

Post #5 of 36 (6615 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Geoff] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or

Possibly the most bizarre day ever in my football travelling life concerned FA Cup replays in an afternoon.
Who else was at Hailsham v Tilbury which was abandoned in extra-time as it was dark? Tilbury equalised late I think meaning extra-time but the referee said that although it would start he would not finish it as light was fading fast. Predictably Tilbury scored again and he called it off at half-time of extra-time with the neutrals desperate to get on the road for a mad dash to Redhill v Folkestone. The away side had four sent off and still won with seven men (and should have been more therefore should also have been abandoned). The away support tried to attack the officials in their dressing room after the game. Bedlam but priceless.

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

May 30, 2008, 10:38 AM

Post #6 of 36 (6612 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kerry Miller] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or

From my records I went to Portfield v Egham Tn on 2/9/87 kick-off 6pm.

Dave R
Reserve Team Sub

May 30, 2008, 11:55 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 36 (6544 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Going off at a slight tangent....in January 1974 I saw Bolton v Southampton in a 4th Round replay. It was a Wednesday 2pm kick-off. No floodlights due to the electricity crisis.

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 31, 2008, 8:28 AM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 36 (6522 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave R] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

At tangent off a tangent at the same period I saw QPR v Plymouth in a FLC 5th(?) Round match in a midweek afternoon KO, Dave R may have been there too.

bezza
Youth Team Star

May 31, 2008, 7:15 PM

Post #9 of 36 (6468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for the feedback on this, but my initial question was if anyone knew the last time an fa cup tie was played at a ground without floodlights from the 1st round proper onwards which no-one has answered. I thought it might be Ton pentre against Cardiff in 1986 season,as I recall the game having an early Saturday afternoon kick off in the days without sky tv.

If it aint broke don't fix it

Dave R
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 1, 2008, 12:55 AM

Team(s):

Post #10 of 36 (6403 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
At tangent off a tangent at the same period I saw QPR v Plymouth in a FLC 5th(?) Round match in a midweek afternoon KO, Dave R may have been there too.

Hi John. Indeed I was at QPR. It was FLC 4th Round and the best Plymouth performance I've ever seen (QPR were second in the old Division 1, not having lost at home for a year, and Plymouth were languishing in Div3. Argyle won 3-0). However, I'm sure it was an evening match.

In the 5th Round Argyle won 2-1 at Birmingham. That was a Wednesday and definitely a 2pm kick-off.

35 years ago. Doesn't time fly.Unsure

John Treleven

Jun 1, 2008, 7:24 AM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 36 (6384 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave R] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Anyway of checking that Dave, my programme will be buried in a box somewhere!
I remember four of us took the day off College & drove back afterwards.
Think I remember generator was brought in as a back up by QPR.

Dave R
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 2, 2008, 10:34 PM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 36 (6307 views)
Shortcut

Programme says 7.30pm.

Just checked my records : the crowd was 19,072. Don't think QPR would have got that many on a midweek afternoon.

John Treleven

Jun 3, 2008, 7:06 AM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 36 (6269 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Dave, generator must have been used to run the floodlights. Must have got home lot later than I thought!!!

PaulC

Jun 4, 2008, 11:13 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #14 of 36 (6186 views)
Shortcut

I recall going to a 3rd round midweek afternoon tie in the FA Cup in 1970-71 when Third Division Rochdale 'hammered' First Division Coventry City 2-1.

Blue up North
Youth Team Regular

Jun 5, 2008, 1:43 AM

Post #15 of 36 (6178 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was at a Tuesday afternoon 1977/78 3rd Qualifying Round replay at Weston-super-Mare which Worcester City won 2-1.

Russell
First Team Star

Jun 5, 2008, 11:37 AM

Post #16 of 36 (6142 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Blue up North] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So it must have been around 1988 when non-floodlit clubs were refused entry to the FA Cup?

sonofhod
Deleted

Jun 5, 2008, 1:02 PM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 36 (6131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
I recall going to a 3rd round midweek afternoon tie in the FA Cup in 1970-71 when Third Division Rochdale 'hammered' First Division Coventry City 2-1.

Hi Paul,
was also there at 3-00 ko on Jan 11,1971 in front of 13,011 spactators this was followed by Halifax V Torquay Div 3 game at 19-30. 2-0 with 4,022 there. BUT the thread is games at grounds without lights, seeing as I also visited Rochdale that same season for night games on Sept 14th and Nov 2nd your point is what. Lights were available and I cant remember why it was an afternoon kick off !

Richard Rundle

Jun 5, 2008, 1:29 PM

Post #18 of 36 (6123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Russell] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
So it must have been around 1988 when non-floodlit clubs were refused entry to the FA Cup?

--
Richard

Russell
First Team Star

Jun 5, 2008, 4:07 PM

Post #19 of 36 (6086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So what was the very last midweek afternoon replay in the FA Cup? I don't remember them taking place as late as 1991 or 1992.

PaulC

Jun 5, 2008, 4:27 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #20 of 36 (6081 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sonofhod] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
BUT the thread is games at grounds without lights, seeing as I also visited Rochdale that same season for night games on Sept 14th and Nov 2nd your point is what.

Thread police alert!!

prorege

Jun 5, 2008, 4:35 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #21 of 36 (6077 views)
Shortcut

In the competition proper, was the most recent midweek afternoon game Burton v Leicester, behind closed doors somewhere (Coventry?), in the mid 80s?

PhilT
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 5, 2008, 6:32 PM

Team(s): Peterborough United

Post #22 of 36 (6061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
In the competition proper, was the most recent midweek afternoon game Burton v Leicester, behind closed doors somewhere (Coventry?), in the mid 80s?

I can advance that to the 1992/3 season, when Peterborough's 1st round replay with Kingstonian was re-staged behind closed doors on a Friday afternoon (at Peterborough).

Richard Rundle

Jun 5, 2008, 9:36 PM

Post #23 of 36 (6026 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
So what was the very last midweek afternoon replay in the FA Cup? I don't remember them taking place as late as 1991 or 1992.

Beckenham Town 0 Berkhamsted Town 1, Second Qualifying Round Replay 1992-93.

Beckenham hoped to have their lights operative for the 1993-94 season, and were accepted in to the FA Cup on the proviso that they were up and running, but they weren't so they had to scratch from the competition.

--
Richard

Russell
First Team Star

Jun 6, 2008, 11:30 AM

Post #24 of 36 (5958 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Very interesting - what time did the Beckenham game kick off in midweek?

sonofhod
Deleted

Jun 6, 2008, 12:53 PM

Team(s):

Post #25 of 36 (5948 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] FA cup ties played on grounds without floodlights [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To
BUT the thread is games at grounds without lights, seeing as I also visited Rochdale that same season for night games on Sept 14th and Nov 2nd your point is what.

Thread police alert!!

Cant you read or just plain dumb ? Well, why was it an afternoon kick off ?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3